Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_zelda (View Post)
To be fair, this was only the pilot. They might slow things down a little, since pilots are usually much more fast paced than the shows themselves. They have to be, since they need to show in a nutshell what the show is about.

About that first one: I think we'll find that out, too. Because, remember, in the books, he wasn't drawn to Fell's Church because of her but because of something else. I wonder if they'll put THAT into the show as well.

Also, granted, they have changed quite a bit more than I had expected.
I know it's only the pilot, but the promo for next episode shows that they're moving even faster. They will kiss in next episode. I would have liked some build up tension before the kiss. But I will just wait and see what happens
Old 09-12-2009, 09:23 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDK (View Post)
Why does he need to?
in the books it worked out very well without him seeing her this much and without them being together so quickly.
I liked going crazy like Elena did when Stefan stayed away from her and ignored her etc. in the book. I liked it.
I wish they did it here in the show too. Or just slowed a littile bit, because the meaningful looks between them has NO history whatsoever. They just met.
Ok so you think it's too quick because you compare the books to the series, but in my opinion the series is not an adaptation of the books, the books are just an inspiration to the series.

After Elena looks like Katherine and Stefan therefore wants to see her to remember Katherine ... it's an obsession I think and in the books is perhaps not like that but in the series Stefan speed up the story between him and Elena.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Master Fan

I know that they dont have to follow the books in everything. I am just saying that I liked the way the books did it better

And in any TV-show I would really really like some build-up and tension between the main couple before anything serious happen. What annoyed me was all the looks they gave each other like they have known each other for centruies, which they actually havent. Stefan might have a right to look at her like that because of KAtherine, but Elena doesnt know him. And she has deep talks with him at her doorstep at the end of the episode is a bit too soon.

Anyways, I still like the pilot though
Old 09-12-2009, 09:36 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDK (View Post)
Stefan might have a right to look at her like that because of KAtherine, but Elena doesnt know him. And she has deep talks with him at her doorstep at the end of the episode is a bit too soon.
Yes I agree with you for that (and there will be more in the second episode :/) and I don't know what they thought when they wrote the end of the pilot, it's maybe "to know what happens inside the house, watch the next episode" lol
Old 09-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Master Fan

I am glad you agree about that By the way, your english is not bad
I will be watching next episode no matter what I hope it will be better.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Elite Fan

MissDK I'm sorry, I don't know your name I agree with you that the beginning of their romance was handled better in the books. I liked that more as well. And I hope just like you that they're slowing it down.

Quote:
I don't know what they thought when they wrote the end of the pilot
Yeah, what was up with that?

no more running; no more hiding; no more excuses
enough already.
Lynn - golden roses - snagging @ lj
Old 09-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Master Fan

Lynn, my name is Lala .
I should have my name in the signature, it's much easier that way
Old 09-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Elite Fan

That's always a good idea Especially for someone like me, who's TERRIBLE with names

no more running; no more hiding; no more excuses
enough already.
Lynn - golden roses - snagging @ lj
Old 09-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Master Fan

Lol.. dont feel bad, I am terrible with names as well. But I am good with faces, I recognize people, and often I just wish I could remember that friggin' name
Old 09-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Loyal Fan

I'm gloing to be lazy and quote from a post I did yesterday to another fan forum:
"I have read the books and there were many differences, most of them not a problem, more on that later. My main problem with the show was the background songs often interfered with the dialog. Several times I could not catch what was being said. One song I was trying to listen to the lyrics and listen to the dialog and missed both. I prefer songs to fill the breaks in dialog rather than compete with it. BtVS did that very well because there were places with no dialog.

As far as the differences from the books. I can live with Stefan and Damon being from the US civil war era rather than the Italian Renaissance and that Catherine is dark haired (and therefore Elana is also) and that Catherine is from the US and not a Germanic country. I can accept that Stefan writes a journal, while in the books it is important that both Elana and Caroline have diaries. I can accept that Stefan lives with someone he calls his uncle (Is it his nephew?) and doesn't rent a room from the mysterious Mrs Flowers. I can accept that Elan's little sister has transformed into a much older younger brother, although there is a key plot point in the books that the sister plays that if they include it will not have the same impact with her brother instead. I can accept that Vickie is Matt's sister. I miss Meredith, Elana's other close friend besides Bonnie. I can live with Elana's aunt being so young and Mr Tanner being a "stud", even if his character is true to the book. So all in all those things don't really bother me

In the books Elana starts out manipulative and selfish. All the guys fall at her feet and she expects it. She is at the core of the "in crowd" and uses those on the fringes to do her favors. In the beginning Stefan resists Elana's ploys to get his attention. She gets her friends, Bonnie and Meredith, to make a blood pact with her to do everything she wants to try to get Stefan. I started out not really liking her that much. But it gave her a lot of room for character development and makes her transformation that much more interesting. The show has started her out in a much more sympathetic way playing the "orphan" card quit a bit more than the books. I can see why they wanted a much more sympathetic main character for fear of not gaining enough of an audience for the show, but it doesn't give her much room to grow. I hope they don't take all character development away from the show."

I like the show well enough to watch the next episodes but I agree with many here who said that the Elena/Stefan romance progressed too quickly. That is the same thing many said about the romance between Bella and Edward in the Twilight movie, but it was even worse in the VD pilot, IMO.

Damon. My oh my I'm really looking forward to more of his scenes.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Loyal Fan

Here's my thoughts on the episode:

So I don't like or want Stefan/Elena together, too forced and rushed and plus I want Damon/Elena together haha

I loved Jeremy, but I don't want him with Vicki. At all. lol. I don't like seeing him chase after her and her just being an ass to him. But I like Vicki, just not with him. It seems like Vicki has too many boy troubles right now with her and Tyler and everything and I just want her alone for a while.

I liked Bonnie and Caroline. I loved the smile between Caroline and Damon, but I don't ship them together. (I ship Damon & Elena all the way!)

Stefan is okay but meh, I'm not really a fan. I loved his scene with Damon though.

Anyways, my two favorite characters right now are Damon and Jeremy. Love them!

icon
Old 09-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Master Fan

my favorite characters are Damon and Jeremy too.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
But I did find Elena's character a bit underdeveloped, which is something that happened due to the forcing of SE.
Exactly. I am afraid the lead female and in fact character will just get lost in the SE relationship to the point where I wont be able to like her.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh gosh. Sorry if I'm a bit to incoherent today as I'm still raw from Supernatural.

Anyway, Lynn you rocked with that review. I totally agree.

In fairness to the difference between SE in the books and the show, I'd like to give them another chance during the next episodes. Let's see. The SE book is definitely better than SE show.

As for the last scene, I think they (writers) want to show that she was already comfortable with him. Maybe it's like more of a deeper understanding.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Master Fan

well at the 1st and 2nd encounter of S and E i was like it's fine they're trying to build up the connection on both characters but on the 3rd and gawd knows how many times... it's like been forcing it down my throat 2 ship them. is there a need to do that. they meet, they stared, they smiled at each other. i get it, we get it! they R attracted to each other. duh!!! it's just silly to do it a couple of times when they could send the message in 1 scene. if im gonna base my ship to this pilot it's deffo not them. Im looking forward to E and D meeting. i have a feeling this will be more exciting and less cheese.

Ian is the best by far in acting wise. he deliver in that short scene for Damon. totally can see that he will be the highlight in every eppys.

Jeremy i can see the potential too but pls. not with that Vicky girl. it's just wrong in all angles.

Last edited by ryllsome; 09-14-2009 at 01:49 AM