Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2015, 01:27 PM
Master Fan

TVD Episode Discussion - 6x16: The Downward Spiral - Airs March 12th

6x16 - The Downward Spiral - March 12th

PROMO | EXTENDED PROMO | STILLS | WEBCLIP I | WEBCLIP II

IAN SOMERHALDER MAKES HIS DIRECTORIAL DEBUT — After shutting off her humanity following the death of her mother, Caroline (Candice Accola) gives her friends an unexpected ultimatum. Not knowing how to handle the new Caroline, Stefan’s (Paul Wesley) attempt to intervene sets off a dangerous chain of events, leaving him and Elena (Nina Dobrev) in a race against the clock. Meanwhile, after seeking answers from Kai (guest star Chris Wood) about the prison world, Damon’s (Ian Somerhalder) world is turned upside when he learns some devastating news about his mother Lily (guest star Annie Wersching). Elsewhere, Enzo (Michael Malarkey) finds himself becoming increasingly intrigued by Sarah Salvatore (guest star Tristan Mays), and Bonnie (Kat Graham) begins to struggle with the effects of being back in the real world.
Directed by Ian Somerhalder
Written by Brian Young & Caroline Dries

Producer's Preview:

Rules
* Be respectful.
Not everybody is going to agree with you, please accept that.
Discussion is fine, but don't attack each other for e.g. supporting or not supporting a character.
* No character bashing.
Things like "I'm really not interested in xxx's storyline" or "what xxx did made no sense to me" are fine.
Things like "xxx needs to die in a fire" or "I can't believe xxx actually has fans" are NOT.
* Have fun.

This thread is sharing your thoughts about the episode and discussing them.
Don't let it get out of hand because you disagree with someone's thought process.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

TFTNT!

That ending though...woah. Last time Stefan had his humanity switch off, Klaus had to turn it back on for him. We never found out who is the person that can bring Stefan back. I doubt it will be Elena anymore and it can't be Caroline if she's too busy not having humanity herself. Maybe Damon but he seems to have his handful with the Mama Salvatore stuff.

Ian and Paul should always direct episodes - they always seem to have a unique style to them. Some of the shots in this episode were amazing, especially of Caroline.

Villanelleღ

Kem (Tumblr)
Old 03-12-2015, 07:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The Bonnie/Kai/Damon scenes were the best thing about the episode.

Enzo/Sarah is boring, so is Stefan/Caroline. But yay for no Damon/Elena!

We will take the best parts of ourselves and make them gold.
icon credit: lucy
Old 03-12-2015, 08:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturellebella (View Post)

Ian and Paul should always direct episodes - they always seem to have a unique style to them. Some of the shots in this episode were amazing, especially of Caroline.
Agreed Ian did a beautiful job
Old 03-12-2015, 08:44 PM
New Fan

Couldn't have put that any better.... "woah"

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturellebella (View Post)
TFTNT!

That ending though...woah. Last time Stefan had his humanity switch off, Klaus had to turn it back on for him. We never found out who is the person that can bring Stefan back. I doubt it will be Elena anymore and it can't be Caroline if she's too busy not having humanity herself. Maybe Damon but he seems to have his handful with the Mama Salvatore stuff.

I just sat staring at the tv when it ended. That had to be one of the craziest episodes in TVD history. Every time i thought, "they won't do it.... they're just teasing they aren't really going there" THEY TOTALLY WENT THERE!!

Stefan specifically told Elena to bring him back. He begged her. I suppose he could have said that to who ever he was on the phone with and it just happened to be Elena, but that's got to say something, right? Maybe he thinks it was Elena that brought him back from that first time we saw him turn off his humanity?

And did you see the preview for next week? It looks like Caroline and Stefan aren't going to be getting along too well. I can't really see how 2 vampires that don't care about anything could get along. It makes perfect sense. Who do you think will flip their switch back on first? I'm totally up in the air about that still. I'd love to hear thoughts on that.

The Damon theory is definitely possible. Maybe it will be him breaking the news to Stefan that their mom is alive and a vampire herself that will pull him out of it? Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't Stefan harbor all this guilt because he didn't spend enough time with her before she "died"? Is that a big enough jolt to make him turn his switch back on or does it have to be something bigger?

And speaking of Momma S. I just read an interview with Ian about how Damon is struggling with all these issues because Katherine left him and his mother left him and neither loved him when he thought they both did. Don't you think it makes more sense that as a mother, she pretended to die and ran off to protect her sons so she didn't accidentally kill them or turn them herself? Not to mention the fact that their father has such a hatred towards vampires. This must be why, right? Maybe she turned off her humanity because she couldn't bare the pain of having to leave her children? I'm a mom, so maybe i just look at this differently, but doesn't it seem more plausible that she ran to save her family than if she ran because she stopped caring?

Ian did such an amazing job directing this episode! That shadowy shot of Caroline looking over her shoulder in the bar or that final shot of her and Stefan hanging out with their margaritas! Talk about amazing.

All in all, I think this is definitely the best episode of TVD i've ever seen. It really set everything up for an amazing end to the season.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

wow wasn't expecting that ending

interesting from now on

yep ian did an amazing shot

I really enjoyed the epsiode

{}
Old 03-12-2015, 11:53 PM
dbn
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by london grammar (View Post)
The Bonnie/Kai/Damon scenes were the best thing about the episode.

Enzo/Sarah is boring, so is Stefan/Caroline. But yay for no Damon/Elena!
I love this comment
Old 03-13-2015, 05:27 AM
Obsessed Fan

Funny fact - I loved it to bits despite having predicted 80% of the episode before it even aired
Old 03-13-2015, 07:21 AM
Elite Fan

I’ll be simple: to me 6x16 is one of the most boring and worst-written episodes ever in this show Ian did a good job and made some good choices in directing it (like Caroline’s silhouette while Sara was entering the bar, very creepy and suited the moment perfectly ), I guess that with this script it could have been far worse, so thanks for that For the rest, I found practically all the character irritating and doing logic-less actions and SLs boring

THE “I GIVE YOU A PASS MARK ONLY BC IT’S YOU”:

The main trio: Damon practically did nothing, but he made his sad puppy eyes so I save him ; Elena tried her best but timing is her worst fault, damn her! ; Stefan did good too, even too much, but I still hope he’s faking everything with this switch-off thing

THE GOOD:

Mama S.’s revelation: I don’t like it, quite the opposite, but it was practically the only time I woke up from my catatonic state and surely the only thing that intrigues me right now, so I’ll give it the credit!

Kai: again, I don’t like the SL of him feeling sorry for this or that just thanks to Luke’s soul so his words are meaningless to me, but I found him “enjoyable” and bearable in this episode, practically the only not-crazy person… and that scares me

Lack of Delena: so happy they weren’t in the episode for once!

THE BAD… where should I start?:

First of all, I’m patiently waiting for the writers to give Elena Gilbert a SL again since she’s the main female character and not a furniture of this show

Sarah/Enzo: boring, can’t bare the ruin they made with his character And her reaction to his revelation was hilarious and so not-believable unless she’s hiding something which I think she’s not, so, again, not interested in them or this, they are forced to me

Liam: I even felt sorry for him, worst day of his life I guess But how about not bringing him back anymore, please?

Bonnie and everything linked to her: seriously?!? I found her irritating and boring on a whole new level S5 didn’t teach her not to keep things from people bc she'll be discovered anyway and they will all end up hurt in the end? And I’m deeply touched she finally remember to have a (now ex) boyfriend, it was about time! And frankly, she can be as angry as much as she wants to, IDC, but lash out on the reason of your pain, Bonnie, namely Kai… not on people who cares about you and worked their asses out to bring you back, thanks And Damon agreeing with Kai to bring him to her for apologize was so lame, I didn't recognize him, way to create just drama from nowhere

Caroline: big disappointment to me, found her very irritating and annoying all the episode, I have a hard time to be empathetic with her right now And while I was amazed by Candice’s acting skills in the last episodes, I didn't like her acting in this one, maybe bc feelings are a big part of her character and taking them away from her means making her half But I don’t think smirking all the time and open your eyes widely is enough to play a switched-off character seriously

Steroline: I save just the scene where Stefan took her face in his hands and practically bared his soul to her, very touching moment and Paul did an amazing job with his act For the rest, meh… I don’t like the “switched-off together” SL, I would have preferred him to stay with his emotions and I found annoying Caroline still blaming him for his choices during Damon’s death bc Stefan had apologized and tried to make it better I want this to be over already basically!
I am the storm"

Anna
Old 03-13-2015, 11:01 AM
Moderator Support Team

yeah i didnt like caroline without her emotions. thats what makes her character so great, without it she was boring to watch on screen.

ian did a great job directing. him and paul need to direct more often.

i enjoyed the bonnie/kai/damon scenes. although i dont like this new kai. i liked him so much better when he was a psychopath killer.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:10 AM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Lord of the Rings
Zendaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabuanPearl88 (View Post)

Bonnie and everything linked to her: seriously?!? I found her irritating and boring on a whole new level S5 didn’t teach her not to keep things from people bc she'll be discovered anyway and they will all end up hurt in the end? And I’m deeply touched she finally remember to have a (now ex) boyfriend, it was about time! And frankly, she can be as angry as much as she wants to, IDC, but lash out on the reason of your pain, Bonnie, namely Kai… not on people who cares about you and worked their asses out to bring you back, thanks And Damon agreeing with Kai to bring him to her for apologize was so lame, I didn't recognize him, way to create just drama from nowhere
Worked their asses off? Really Did you hear Elena's toast??? yeah sound liked she worked her ass off and failed attempts. Damon after he heard how Bonnie felt about Kai and stills tries and force them together for he's own personal gain... Yeah she had every right to do what she did to him
Old 03-13-2015, 11:13 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA504 (View Post)
Worked their asses off? Really Did you hear Elena's toast??? yeah sound liked she worked her ass off Damon after he heard how Bonnie felt about Kai and stills tries and force them together for he's own personal gain... Yeah she had every right to do what she did to him
I was talking about Damon, don't recall Bonnie torturing Elena in the last episode If it wasn't for Damon (and Elena and Jer for the matter), she would be still stuck in the AU, probably dead And I also said Damon made a huge mistake and I didn't even recognize him for it, but Bonnie should lash out on Kai and have her revenge instead of punishing Damon for this, even more bc he's probably the only one in there who can understand her pain... since she convenientely isn't able to talk about it to her friends too, but I guess crying and keeping secrets is her fav thing
I am the storm"

Anna
Old 03-13-2015, 11:21 AM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Lord of the Rings
Zendaya

Quote:
I was talking about Damon, don't recall Bonnie torturing Elena in the last episode And I also said Damon made a huge mistake and I didn't even recognize him for it, but Bonnie should lash out on Kai and have her revenge instead of punishing Damon for this, even more bc he's probably the only one in there who can understand her pain... since she convenientely isn't able to talk about it to her friends too, but I guess crying and keeping secrets is her fav thing
Well you said the people who helped bring her back

I think she will deal with Kai but it was Damon who force them together so he brought that on himself.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:28 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA504 (View Post)
Well you said the people who helped bring her back
Then I probably didn't write it down well, sorry I meant only Damon bc he was directly involved with her all the season, in AU or in this world, and suffered of her anger this episode

Quote:
I think she will deal with Kai but it was Damon who force them together so he brought that on himself.
I hope so His words are meaningless after the merge with Luke, people shouldn't even listen to him But I just can't agree with reactions neither, it's ok to feel betrayed, but she could have talked to Damon instead of torturing him, so no, I'm sorry but I don't approve her method
I am the storm"

Anna
Old 03-13-2015, 11:34 AM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Lord of the Rings
Zendaya

Quote:
Then I probably didn't write it down well, sorry I meant only Damon bc he was directly involved with her all the season, in AU or in this world, and suffered of her anger this episode

I hope so His words are meaningless after the merge with Luke, people shouldn't even listen to him But I just can't agree with reactions neither, it's ok to feel betrayed, but she could have talked to Damon instead of torturing him, so no, I'm sorry but I don't approve her method
It's ok!!! I agree he has been.

She did she shell'll melt his face off next time I SURE HOPE SO

Right, she didn't have to do what she did. just how that whole situation played I liked it. and being that she's still trying to adjust with being back PTSD.