Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2017, 03:17 PM
Elite Fan

TVD Episode Discussion – 8x12: What are you? - Airs on February 10th

8x12: What are you? - February 10th

EXTENDED PROMO | STILLS | WEBCLIP I | WEBCLIP II

SAVING SOULS - In order to save Stefan's soul, Damon makes a deal with Cade to retrieve the Maxwell journal. Alaric and Matt refuse to hand the journal over as it may contain the key to destroying Cade. Caroline desperately tries to connect with Stefan before Cade goes through with his plan.[1]

Written by Chad Fiveash & James Stoteraux
Directed by Darren Genet

Producer's Preview

Rules
* Be respectful.
Not everybody is going to agree with you, please accept that.
Discussion is fine, but don't attack each other for e.g. supporting or not supporting a character.
* No character bashing.
Things like "I'm really not interested in xxx's storyline" or "what xxx did made no sense to me" are fine.
Things like "xxx needs to die in a fire" or "I can't believe xxx actually has fans" are NOT.
* Have fun.

This thread is sharing your thoughts about the episode and discussing them.
Don't let it get out of hand because you disagree with someone's thought process.
I am the storm"

Anna
Old 02-10-2017, 07:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

Stefan is a soft, squishy human I love him a lot!! These a**holes in Mystic Falls better not touch him!!

And that is it.. although this episode did amp up my hate for Alaric even more then I already did.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glader|4|Life (View Post)
Stefan is a soft, squishy human I love him a lot!! These a**holes in Mystic Falls better not touch him!!

And that is it.. although this episode did amp up my hate for Alaric even more then I already did.
^LOL Poor Stefan. It's a fitting fate for him though, since he was always tormented being a vampire.

Caroline seems to be the only vampire that can (mostly) keep her act together. She was like a vampire angel in this episode.

Why hate Alaric? He didn't want Stefan to die. He just didn't want everyone else to die too. If Damon had waited a bit, they may have discovered the answer in the journal. We have to assume time was getting close.

Don't know why Stefan wasn't recovering in a hospital bed with those injuries...

Matt's character finally seems to have purpose in the show. I do like the callbacks to the history of the town, so important in the first season.

I guess Bonnie's grief opened a portal to hell. That must be how Kai slipped through and possibly others will too. What though is the difference between hell and "the other side" besides torture (and perhaps the fact that they didn't want to do a hell story until now)? Why were vampires not sent to hell to begin with?

Very good dialogue and special effects in this episode!
Old 02-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthisbeauty (View Post)
^LOL Poor Stefan. It's a fitting fate for him though, since he was always tormented being a vampire.

Why hate Alaric? He didn't want Stefan to die. He just didn't want everyone else to die too. If Damon had waited a bit, they may have discovered the answer in the journal. We have to assume time was getting close.
Ehhh... not sure about fitting. The only way he will be truly free of vampire life is to get away from everyone in Mystic Falls. (I am praying that this happens for him)

Cause he is a jerk I have never liked Alaric. I just need him to go away.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:56 PM
Elite Fan

For an episode about newly turned vampire to human and the repercussions of his immortal sins you would think this episode would be somewhat interesting . My mistake.

Damon - Wish we had more on his thoughts of Stefan being a human and what that means for them and also his future with Elena. Maybe next time. I wish we also had more with Bonnie and Damon considering they just made up and she lost her man. I would think he would go to her despite her telling him to stay away.

Stefan - You sad idiot. I was kind of hoping for a smack down with him and Bonnie. She deserves to at least punch him in the nads for what he did. Don't know how they will move on from this. He done fcked up hard.

Caroline - Not here for her making excuses for Stefan at every turn. I hope Bonnie smacks her down too at this point. She needs a healthy dose of basic logic.

Bonnie - Poor girl. I hoped she would have realized that keeping Enzo's blood-necklace was her ticket to him somehow. I want her to have her happy ending with him. Maybe bring him back ala The Otherside and he can be human with her .

Matt - . No cares. Go away.

Alaric - You are supposed to be the resident smart guy and yet you don't think to make copies or take pics of the journal before Damon takes it? Just all types of dumb.

Random dude - Shady is shady. He's probably a descendant of Cade or something.

Bonnie's Mama - Hi.

Kai - Damn they were kind to you in hell.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:06 AM
Addicted Fan

I know we are supposed to feel sorry for Bonnie, but honestly I don't. Just like I don't feel sorry for Matt or any other human who gets mixed up in vampire business and willingly stays.

Bonnie fell in love with a serial killer vampire, I get it, you can't help who you love, but I don't feel bad for her or Enzo. Especially with what they were doing with Elena's blood, talk about gross. I'd say they got what they deserved.

Stefan, I don't feel bad for him either, he committed horrible acts as the ripper and Bonnie stabbing him with the cure was his just deserts. Stop moping and do something productive.

Damon needs to get the ******* out. How does this guy always come out on top?! It's unfathomable to me that he is the one who looks the most likely to get his happy ending, when he is the most deserving of having his ass sent to hell. I really hope he gets his ass served on a platter at the end of this series, but considering Julie's hard on for him, I bet he and Elena are the only ones who get their happy ending

Caroline gets more and more insufferable as the episodes continue. I have to fast forward her scenes because she annoys me so much.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:01 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthisbeauty (View Post)

Don't know why Stefan wasn't recovering in a hospital bed with those injuries...
Right! So unrealistic
Old 02-11-2017, 02:09 AM
Dedicated Fan

Yes, in the one scene he is bleeding to death and in the next scene he is fully recovered and he didn't even have to go to the hospital????
Old 02-11-2017, 02:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

Maybe he isn't as human as we think he is
Old 02-11-2017, 02:26 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummelchen (View Post)
Yes, in the one scene he is bleeding to death and in the next scene he is fully recovered and he didn't even have to go to the hospital????
They even mentioned something about 3 pints of blood if I remember correctly. I'm not American so I don't know what that means but it sounds like a lot. So the ambulance just carries the right blood type or what?? Did they even go to the hospital?
Old 02-11-2017, 07:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

this episode was interesting.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:13 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane eyes (View Post)
Kai - Damn they were kind to you in hell.
They were. He makes some grand entrances...

I'm glad he's back because they haven't had a good villain since him.

x
Old 02-11-2017, 10:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

Alright episode! Wow Kai is back!

Love the Bonnie scenes!
Old 02-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElenaBelle (View Post)
They even mentioned something about 3 pints of blood if I remember correctly. I'm not American so I don't know what that means but it sounds like a lot. So the ambulance just carries the right blood type or what?? Did they even go to the hospital?
An average male has 10-11 pints of blood in their body. Death happens when you have a loss of 5-6 pints. And ambulances always carry the universal donor type blood "O-negative" since it's safe to give anyone. With 3 pints lost Stefan would have gone into shock and passed out. He would have needed a transfusion and surgery to repair the damage. Him walking around like nothing a few hours later doesn't help the "newly human" effect .
Old 02-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Dedicated Fan

^I know--too unrealistic. I had to re-watch the episode, it kind of moved fast in some ways plot wise. It sounds like maybe he was in the hospital and had surgery (they mentioned stitches and of course, pints of blood)--and when he was sitting in the car with Caroline must have been when she picked him up? We don't know how much time actually expired--but it seemed like not much time had expired at all. I don't mind them skipping ahead because hospital scenes can get routine, but they need to make these things more clear. Also, it looked like that lady stabbed him right through his body, how is he not in critical condition and in the hospital for days recovering?

I am also confused about all these tunnels and where they are--I guess the Armory just happens to have been built next to where the Sirens kept their treasures? Wow they just hit it lucky I guess building their headquarters next to the devil's henchmen's secret room. Looks like Mystic Falls is TVD's equivalent of The Hellmouth in BTVS.

Quote:
For an episode about newly turned vampire to human and the repercussions of his immortal sins you would think this episode would be somewhat interesting . My mistake.
Yeah--this seemed like something they should have shown in the first season of the series in order to "ground" it to the real world a little bit? Things like orphan children who are victims of vampires and compulsion in order to get out of jail (although Caroline then spoke candidly with Stefan in the INTERROGATION ROOM where a CAMERA is prominently displayed. No wonder Sheriff Forbes was able to track vamps down sometimes.

I get what they were trying to say, but yeah it was a little boring the way they said it. We've seen way too many scenes at police stations, although I like how out of it Stefan was there. Best scene I thought was when Stefan was driving away with blood on his hands. Paul Wesley's acting was very good there--you could tell how shaky Stefan was at that moment. The rest of the episode though he was strangely calm for someone that just escaped death and hell.

Quote:
Alaric - You are supposed to be the resident smart guy and yet you don't think to make copies or take pics of the journal before Damon takes it? Just all types of dumb.
Good point. Although it did seem like things were happening maybe too fast for him to think of it. It's like when I asked why Damon didn't just wait a few more minutes to hear the end of Matt's vision before he took the journal. Everything is a crisis of life or death--except when it's not (see above)! shrug

I guess you just have to go with the flow with this show and enjoy the fantasy. That's why I can can't take it too seriously.

Last edited by Truthisbeauty; 02-11-2017 at 12:40 PM Reason: add