Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2016, 01:25 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane eyes (View Post)
I'm honestly really confused at JP's attitude about it all. She literally was the "genius" behind the Original Family and yet what she created was so completely torn apart by writers who never liked them to begin with. I don't know if she just didn't know what to do with them on their own show or just trusted the wrong people. I mean she's not a great writer on her own, but she knows how to write complex bad guys really well and I think because Klaus & Co. got their own show these writers assumed that meant they had to be the good guys when they are supposed to be bad people who only look out for each other. Being a protagonist doesn't mean you have to change 100% into a soft, good version of yourself. I always loved villains so it sucks when you see them getting woobified.
That's the problem when you've got a great material and rely on teen show writers... It pisses me off, because I want to be one and it pains me when a great story, with amazing potential, is wasted like that. I mean, I didn't have anything against Camille herself, but her involvement with Klaus was so freaking forced! It was way too cliche and naive and Klaus was so easily turned "good", then "bad again", it felt like they were virtually unable of building a complex character and its nuances. I mean, you can't turn Klaus good just like that, it's not who he is. That's where lies the strength of his moments with Rebekah. He's an ass, and he's an ass to her, but sometimes he isn't. You can't just make him brutally not an ass out of nothing. It's not the same as him showing another side in a matter of few seconds, then pretending it didn't happen. It's too bad, because TVD can be ****, like, I don't care, and most people only want to know who ends up with whom, but The Originals is not that kind of show. You can't just mess around with it because if you make Damon kiss Elena people won't care about the logistic. It's a character driven show, you can't not love and understand the characters.

There's an argentinian show to which Mexico did a version of their own. They stayed true to the original characters, and the original philosophy of it, so it worked. Give it do a brazilian network with ****ty writers and ****ty directors that only wanna cash in on the worldwide success of the mexican version. That's a show that got versions from at least 5 countries and they worked. Here, the writer watched the first three episodes and clearly didn't agree with the characters morals or nature. So the new version had a good start, because they watched the first episodes to make it, then as soon as they got further, like, one month into the story, the characters were completely deprived of personality, all main characters were way too well behaved and correct, they were all maries and garies sues, and the storyline was limited to couples getting together, villain trying to separate them. That was basically it. It was a complete **** because the writer wasn't invested in the show's nature and its characters core. It just doesn't work. You have to love the characters to write them well. Just not too much, or you can mary sue them up. But you can't expect something to work if the characters aren't respected by the writers, it's freaking obvious!
"Because I love you, you idiot!"
Old 10-11-2016, 01:55 PM
Elite Fan

I was all for a slow redemption arc of Klaus and the family as a whole. I wasn't into them becoming these redeemable characters through a pregnancy. I hate that they did that so much. You can have bad people be protagonists because you are challenging your audience to either root for these terrible people because you love their dynamic and relationship with each other or you want them to fall because bad shouldn't win. Leaving these characters as they were and slowly seeing them change over seasons because of circumstance could have been amazing. Instead we get them in therapy and diaper changes and call it a day. No thanks. I will never understand why they assumed that was a good idea .
Old 10-11-2016, 07:46 PM
Master Fan

They were just too uncreative with how to redeem him

Even JP said she couldn't think of other ways to do it
Old 10-11-2016, 09:15 PM
Elite Fan

Now that's really sad considering she created him. I mean it wasn't even necessary to redeem him in the first place. People fell in love with him as a villain. Why not just explore that and maybe redemption would be a natural story progression and not something that you had to force him into .
Old 10-12-2016, 06:18 PM
Master Fan

Lol because she doesn't know how to write villains
Old 10-12-2016, 08:02 PM
Elite Fan

I think she does know how to write villains though. I think her problem is that she doesn't know how to write a villain that's either supposed to be redeemed or a villainous protagonist. She does well with creating the bad guys that are meant to antagonize the good guys, but when it's all about the bad guys she screws it up.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:03 PM
Master Fan

I guess that's true

Beyond being a villain is the hard part
Old 10-15-2016, 03:38 PM
Elite Fan

She's good with 2 dimensional bad guys , but I like complex villains with depth. Especially if they're headlining their own show.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:34 PM
Master Fan

mah babies in crime
Old 11-06-2016, 11:32 PM
Passionate Fan

The wasted potential hurts

btw, my absolute favorite klebekah vid:

It's such a strong song that really does relate to them.
"Because I love you, you idiot!"
Old 11-07-2016, 09:08 PM
Elite Fan

That was gorgeous. Thank you for sharing it.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:16 PM
Master Fan

This thread is way too lonely, what's going on?

x
Old 01-08-2017, 01:26 AM
Elite Fan

About time you showed up.

Love the gifset.

I've missed you in here. You better be here for all the gushing to come.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:17 PM
Master Fan

I'll be here if there's any Klebekah to mention and you know me, even a phone call is worth mentioning so...
Old 01-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Master Fan

This ship is illegal and wrong but I will still post in here I guess