Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugjess (View Post)
True, but there is also the assumption that they married for love... Could have been an arranged marriage or something... In the end Mikael was likely a crap husband... Very domineering at the very least.
If they married for love why did she cheat on him?
Icon by: beyond insane
Old 12-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Yep. Loyalty was always on the side the women but not expected of the men...
Dude, my professor was talking a little bit about marriage, around the time the modern conception of marriage began, and everything about it is even more sexist than I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilSonღFan (View Post)
If they married for love why did she cheat on him?
At those times, people rarely married for love, so it's more probable that Mikael and Esther had an arranged marriage that benefit both their families.

» Bella
Old 12-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilicat (View Post)
At those times, people rarely married for love, so it's more probable that Mikael and Esther had an arranged marriage that benefit both their families.
That's very true and mostly what happened
Icon by: beyond insane
Old 12-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Dude, my professor was talking a little bit about marriage, around the time the modern conception of marriage began, and everything about it is even more sexist than I thought.
History buff here. A part of the reason women were expected to be loyal was so that paternity could be determined. Still sexist as hell...

Quote:
It was more of a property arrangement thing... Usually the people who could marry for love were the poor because they had nothing to bring to the bargaining table... The richer you were, the more likely marriage was an arranged thing.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
History buff here. A part of the reason women were expected to be loyal was so that paternity could be determined. Still sexist as hell...

It was more of a property arrangement thing... Usually the people who could marry for love were the poor because they had nothing to bring to the bargaining table... The richer you were, the more likely marriage was an arranged thing.
History major here. Although Medieval isn't really my thing, I much prefer Ancient. When you learn about the historical concept of things, it really changes your view on said subject. I can never look at marriage, at least the ones performed on churches, the same way I did.

Right. I believe it was said that Mikael was rich, I can't really remember right now. But we can't really expect the writers to be historically accurate in this show.

» Bella
Old 12-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Elite Fan

Was a history minor focused on Canadian and British history. Mostly post-medieval period. The history of marriage is just depressing.

They never are...
Old 12-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Was a history minor focused on Canadian and British history. Mostly post-medieval period. The history of marriage is just depressing.

They never are...
That's really cool. We don't really learn much about Canada or England here, I find those countries really interesting. It's something that I'd like to study more about in the future. I'm only on second year. It really is, but it's still kind of fascinating.

I gave up looking at tv shows from a historian perspective. It just gives me a headache.

» Bella
Old 12-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Yep. Loyalty was always on the side the women but not expected of the men...
very true... and yep on the property. no history major but sadly, I am related to a few so I hear things

Marriage was really a one way road although there were SOME exceptions. not that many but there were some marriages that even though arranged seemed to have been relatively happy, on both sides.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
That's really cool. We don't really learn much about Canada or England here, I find those countries really interesting. It's something that I'd like to study more about in the future. I'm only on second year. It really is, but it's still kind of fascinating.

I gave up looking at tv shows from a historian perspective. It just gives me a headache.
History was amazing when I was in Uni... Didn't want to lose my passion for it so I minored in it instead of majoring in it...

Yeah, historically accurate shows are really hard to find... Even then there is always artistic license...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie51 (View Post)
very true... and yep on the property. no history major but sadly, I am related to a few so I hear things

Marriage was really a one way road although there were SOME exceptions. not that many but there were some marriages that even though arranged seemed to have been relatively happy, on both sides.
There are always exceptions... Though even though they were relatively happy does not mean they were in love...
Old 12-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Master Fan

I can't believe they killed off Mikael so easily. I thought he would have stuck around longer.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Dedicated Fan

Please add me. Thanks

As they say on TVD when someone dies, they are not really dead as they can come back.
KLAUS & HAYLEY / BELLAMY & CLARKE / OLIVER & FELCITY / STEFAN & ELENA / DAISY & LINCOLN / BOBBI & LANCE / RUMPLESTILSKIN & BELLE / SHELDON & AMY / HOOK & EMMA / BARRY & CAITLIN / CAROLINE & ENZO / KOL & DAVINA
Old 12-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Chillin' like a villain

Just added you, liomi95!!

And yeah, I really hope that they bring Mikael back...even if it's just for flashbacks

Old 12-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks.
There is so much bad history between Mikael and Klaus it would be good to see how it all started out and why because even when they were human Mikael always treated Klaus differently to the others.
KLAUS & HAYLEY / BELLAMY & CLARKE / OLIVER & FELCITY / STEFAN & ELENA / DAISY & LINCOLN / BOBBI & LANCE / RUMPLESTILSKIN & BELLE / SHELDON & AMY / HOOK & EMMA / BARRY & CAITLIN / CAROLINE & ENZO / KOL & DAVINA
Old 12-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Chillin' like a villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by liomi95 (View Post)
Thanks.
There is so much bad history between Mikael and Klaus it would be good to see how it all started out and why because even when they were human Mikael always treated Klaus differently to the others.
Exactly!!! I think there's room for the writers to go deeper on Klaus' paranoia and fears.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Dedicated Fan

I think Mikael and Esther married out of love. She was a powerful witch and i am sure was more than capable of getting herself out of unwanted marriage. Besides she popped out like what 6 kids? Even if we imagine she was forced to marry him, she still could have make herself a potion to miscarry. And no sane woman would bear 6 babies to a guy she doesn't love.

From flashbacks i got an impression he loved all of them excluding Niklaus. Maybe he knew she cheated on him but she told him the name of another man who was human because she knew how much he hated werewolves.

Mikael was strict and harsh but it didn't mean he was a bad husband to her. As a head of a family he had to be this way, it were dark times, if his neighbors saw even a glimpse of weakness they would kill all of Mikaelson men, stole their stuff and rape Rebekah and Esther. They were vikings, raiding killing and raping were ordinary things.
❤Originals❤Sherlock❤Supernatural❤Masters of Sex❤2 Broke Girls❤Sleepy Hollow❤Walking Dead❤Elementary❤Brooklyn 99❤Hart of Dixie❤Reign❤Lost Girl❤Vampire Diaries❤Blacklist❤Cougar Town❤Teen Wolf❤Almost Human❤
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top