Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2016, 12:46 AM
Elite Fan

Agreed. I think it was really bad in the beginning because the crazy shippers were so butthurt, but I think it toned down a ton.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:53 PM
Master Fan

It had to tone down eventually, but yeah they were cray
Old 08-15-2016, 07:35 PM
Elite Fan

Eventually. Though it definitely kicked back up when Camille was killed off because blame was being thrown around.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:11 PM
Master Fan

Oh yeah I heard about that. To me it was obvious it had to be budget cuts or something
Old 08-16-2016, 06:26 PM
Elite Fan

It could be a bunch of different reasons. Budget cuts, network stepping in, trying to save money to get another actor on the show.... I just think the excuse of not having any other place to go with the character was bs considering that never stopped them before. I mean look at the characters on TVD that are still around with no storyline. Definitely more happening behind the scenes.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:04 PM
Master Fan

I kinda think she was cut to make room for Kol lol

But Tvd is over crowded so I don't know if that would make sense
Old 08-17-2016, 09:05 PM
Elite Fan

But Nate isn't even a regular (at least that's what I heard) so I don't see his paycheck taking up too much.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Master Fan

Then idk, I just didn't think they'd have the balls to kill her off because she's unpopular. Maybe the network pushed it, maybe it wasn't in their control
Old 08-18-2016, 09:06 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah I don't think it was their decision about Camille. Davina I have no idea, but the writers/producers loved Camille/Leah. I don't see them willingly killing her "because there was no story" unless someone higher up told them to.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:50 PM
Master Fan

I actually did always believe that low ratings don't affect a characters fate

But apparently I was wrong, and even ABC kind of pulled this stunt with their shows. If ratings were crap and you were unpopular it was time to say bye
Old 08-20-2016, 10:10 AM
Elite Fan

I think audience reception and ratings should always factor into a story/character. I don't think you should basically cater to one side of the audience because you lose your voice, but I think when you ignore the people watching your show and their feedback of what they enjoy and what needs to change you alienate them and make it easier for them to drop the series. It's not fun having people criticize your work, but if you ignore the constructive criticism then you risk losing a chance to gain the faith of the audience.

I mean if you look at Game of Thrones they have a huge following, but in s5 they got a ton of hate and backlash for the direction they took characters in and a lot of people (including myself) gave up on it. Then s6 comes along and it was like the writers decided that their vision wasn't working and actually listened to their audience and managed to change the direction of the show while still maintaining a strong hold on their creative vision.

I get TO writers are no where near the capacity of GoT writers, but if you know people are able to see their mistakes and make adjustments to gain back their audience then why wouldn't you? I don't know if TO would be able to given that they really lost the faith in their audience in the pilot episode, but if they could adjust their sails and actually listen to what their viewers are wanting I think they can still maintain their creative vision without alienating all the fans.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:58 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier of affinity (View Post)
I actually did always believe that low ratings don't affect a characters fate

But apparently I was wrong, and even ABC kind of pulled this stunt with their shows. If ratings were crap and you were unpopular it was time to say bye
Leah'scharacter wasn't the reason for the low ratings. Did you take a look at the ratings after they killed Cami off? I did and the ratings were still crappy and it stayed that way. Also, a character shouldn't be killed off because some fans don't like the character. There are a lot of people that liked the character..I'm sure more then you and some other people on this board want to believe. Leah's character wasn't even in all the episodes. Also, if TO ratings weren't so horrible, they wouldn't have moved it to a midseason show with only 13 episodes. From what I gathered from the interview given by a representative for the cw, if TO ratings don't improve its not getting another season. The CW doesn't even advertise for the show anymore. The only advertiment I've seen is from Joseph Morgan, when he does those short videos before each episode.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:54 PM
Elite Fan

I didn't like Camille at all, but it's ridiculous to think her character alone had that much affect on the overall show. I don't think Flora was blaming Camille for the ratings entirely, but trying to say that the reason they gave as to why she was killed off was sketchy at best and it would make sense that the network stepped in if they do end up getting Candice on the show. Leah wasn't the only one written/killed off. Danielle was let go too.

I for one don't give that much power to Camille. The ratings drastically declined in s1 (and she was hardly on the show during that time) and kept lowering each season. It's poor writing/story telling that made ratings drop. I think even if they manage to get Candice on the show it will only bring in a small portion of shippers, but because the story is still very poorly written/executed I don't see people sticking around despite klaroline. I think this is it for this show and if they somehow manage a s5 it will be another short season to wrap things up.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:41 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane eyes (View Post)
I didn't like Camille at all, but it's ridiculous to think her character alone had that much affect on the overall show. I don't think Flora was blaming Camille for the ratings entirely, but trying to say that the reason they gave as to why she was killed off was sketchy at best and it would make sense that the network stepped in if they do end up getting Candice on the show. Leah wasn't the only one written/killed off. Danielle was let go too.

I for one don't give that much power to Camille. The ratings drastically declined in s1 (and she was hardly on the show during that time) and kept lowering each season. It's poor writing/story telling that made ratings drop. I think even if they manage to get Candice on the show it will only bring in a small portion of shippers, but because the story is still very poorly written/executed I don't see people sticking around despite klaroline. I think this is it for this show and if they somehow manage a s5 it will be another short season to wrap things up.
Ok, sorry I'm still pissed about the bs reasons Julie Plec has given for killing Cami off.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:33 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswellover73 (View Post)
Ok, sorry I'm still pissed about the bs reasons Julie Plec has given for killing Cami off.
I get it. No worries. I hate when my faves get treated like garbage for little to no reason myself.