Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2017, 08:54 PM
Elite Fan

The Originals 4x03: "Haunter of Ruins" Discussion. Airs March 31st, 8PM EST

The Originals 4x03: Haunter of Ruins

March 31st@ 8:00pm Eastern
Description: FATHERS & DAUGHTERS — After five long years apart, Klaus attempts to reconnect with his daughter, Hope (Summer Fontana). Even as father and daughter bond, the rest of the family is still in turmoil. Elijah (Daniel Gillies) mediates a conflict between Hayley and Freya (Riley Voelkel) to determine the best way to protect the family. Meanwhile, in New Orleans, Vincent (Yusef Gatewood) tells Marcel (Charles Michael Davis) terrible secrets about his ex -wife, Eva Sinclair, even as they begin their search for a mysterious witch who plans to sacrifice a group of innocent children – including Hope Mikaelson.
Written by:Carina Adly Mackenzie and Declan de Barra

PROMO:

RULES:
+ Some of you may not like everything about the episode. Please try to be constructive when you are criticizing something.
+ Do not insult actors. Please stay positive.
+ Respect each other's ships.
+ Do not post anything that is considered a spoiler until the show airs at Eastern time in the USA.
+ Enjoy!
Old 03-31-2017, 08:18 PM
Master Fan

Thank you kindly
Old 03-31-2017, 10:04 PM
Dedicated Fan

I love this episode. It was nice to see Klaus reunite with Hope. I loved Hope's awkward hello to Klaus. Poor Klaus thought Hope was afraid of him, and was afraid that Hayley had thrashed him.

Kol once again was the voice of reason. They all sitting around chatting when they should be running.
Poor Rebecca , she actually thought Marcel cared about her. I do not think Marcel EVER care about her. He only wanted power,and New Orleans.

I loved Hope and Klaus bonding in the garden. That was a touching scene.

Will doesn't trust Marcel. I wonder why Vincent trust Marcel?

I was glad that Vincent mention all the witches that Marcel killed. Finally someone pointed out that everything wasn't so great under Marcel rule. The witches lived in fear. However it was interesting that we found out what turn Vincent's wife evil. However I would loved to know what happened to Vincent's baby?

Vincent said that he was looking for a way to destroy Marcel when he found the Manuel on the desk. Who put it there? It was written in his hand writing. So maybe another witch took control of him?

Why did Hope take her bracelet off to heal the butterfly? (I love it when Hope told Klaus not to tell her mom)

The great evil. Does anyone think that great evil could be Vincent's son?

How did that guy get Hope's hairbrush?
Old 04-01-2017, 01:56 PM
Dedicated Fan

I loved this episode too! It was a little lacking in action, but I don't mind, for it seems like a good setup to next week's episode (now I can't wait)! I really like how they are really digging into the family dynamics and what is good and evil. Is it okay to hurt others if you are protecting your family? Doesn't that person have a family too? Or do you end up becoming what you are fighting?

Hope is so like Klaus--both are so sensitive. They were freaking adorable together! It could have been cheesy and wasn't. She's a good little actress and as usual Joseph Morgan can react with such a range of emotions. They remind me of how Klaus gave Rebekah the knight to calm her fears when they were children--innocent before their parents turned them into vampires...all in the name of protecting them.

I am sad to see Kol and Rebekah go (I know Claire Holt wants limited screentime, but does he?) However, they made their exit count. There's such a thing as TOO much family togetherness. Sooner or later, the child leaves the nest and their siblings behind to perhaps start families of their own. Unless you're a Mikaelson, that is--and you have this both endearing and suffocating need to take care of your siblings at your own and everyone else's expense! Kol has always understood this. Now Elijah has a chance to realize it too. Only Freya continues to embrace the codependency. It reminds me of her mother Esther and Aunt Dahlia. Dahlia sacrificed so much for Esther and then resented her when Esther left to start a family of her own. Esther's need to leave was perfectly reasonable, except that she didn't appreciate that it was her sister Dahlia who enabled her to have a family in the first place! Thankfully Freya can diverge from the family habit by asking for the werewolf's cooperation rather than keep her captive.

Quote:
I was glad that Vincent mention all the witches that Marcel killed. Finally someone pointed out that everything wasn't so great under Marcel rule. The witches lived in fear. However it was interesting that we found out what turn Vincent's wife evil. However I would loved to know what happened to Vincent's baby?
Me too. Marcel justified it by protecting Davina, but I remember how ruthless he was. It was so sad what happened to Vincent's wife. It's interesting that Vincent is one of the few characters to take responsibility for his actions, rather than excuse them because they were done for the right reasons. I continue to love Vincent more and more. However, he may be TOO hard on himself, because it seems like this force "chose" him somehow, moreso than he chose it.

Quote:
The great evil. Does anyone think that great evil could be Vincent's son?
Good idea--his son may have been absorbed somehow into this magic, but I don't think it originated with him.

Quote:
Will doesn't trust Marcel. I wonder why Vincent trust Marcel?
His trust is limited, but yeah I always thought it happened too fast. Perhaps like Marcel and Klaus, Vincent's passion to protect turns into a need for power and he wanted to back the most powerful.

Quote:
Why did Hope take her bracelet off to heal the butterfly? (I love it when Hope told Klaus not to tell her mom)
Me too. Already taking sides. That bracelet looks a lot like the one she wore as a baby--didn't it stop her from doing magic so that Dahlia (and other witches) would not be able to sense her? It's probably the reason the evil force was aware of her existence.

Quote:
How did that guy get Hope's hairbrush?
LOL either a typical plot hole or that evil is more powerful than the protective barrier around Hope's home.

Last edited by Truthisbeauty; 04-01-2017 at 02:05 PM Reason: clarify
Old 04-01-2017, 07:27 PM
Elite Fan

This episode was ok. Had some good moments and some I didn't really care about.

Klaus - Yes way to make a first impression with your demon child by screaming and making demands. Let her know right away how things are gonna be . Honestly 90% of his screentime was with the kid and I don't care about her so I didn't pay much attention to it, but I LOVED his scene with Rebekah .

I'm fine.

Elijah - You got laid...yay? There wasn't much going on for him so....

Rebekah + Kol - Girl you know these boys are your brothers right? Cause first with Klaus and then with Kol...Like damn .

I vote for a spin-off of Rebekah and Kol fckin' shiit up on their road trip while throwing shade and smirks at each other !

Freya - Damn girl you crazy. I love you, but wow. I don't know how wolfie is gonna fall for your crazy ass.

Hayley - I'm sorry, but my eyes rolled so hard in my head they almost got stuck. She just said she betrayed and murdered people left and right for 5+ years and yet she's good? I mean I get her reasons and can even respect her decisions to keep her kid and the coffin club safe, but that doesn't make her a good person. And just because she feels a small amount of guilt for said actions does not make her a good person .

Marcel - .

Vincent - I love you dude, but I need something more than scenes with Borecel to keep me interested. Glad for the background info about his life while Marcel was running Nola pre-Mikaelsons. Also super happy he didn't forget what an ahole Marcel was to the witches then. I was getting worried everyone swept Marcel's past under the rug .

Eva - Maisie !!!! I love her sfm, but she's better as crazy Eva. I wasn't feeling her as the sweet wife and expectant mother. Definitely more entertaining as the whacko .

Random witch dude - How did you get a 7 year old girls hairbrush?! That's so random and weird.

Wolfie - Super smart chick gonna use science to stop the supernatural...sure, sure.

Will - Awe and here I thought he would be fading into the background as the resident human and instead we get another crazy pants preparing to murder children. I'm assuming he's under control of the blue light thing-y and not aware of his actions, but still happy he's gonna be utilized more...until he dies I'm sure .

Overall an ok episode, but nothing great aside from the klebekah and rebekol stuff imo.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I love Kol. Wish he was a regular. He's one of my favorite characters on this whole show.

I thought the things Hope was saying to Klaus were too well-articulated for someone her age, but I did adore how Klaus adored her and how he said, "My daughter is an art prodigy."

Hayley and Elijah gettin' it on. In the words of Bruno Mars, "That's what I like, that's what I like."

Freya and the wolf girl are going to become a thing, aren't they?

Love the actor who plays Vincent. He's fantastic. Not sure how I feel about this storyline, mostly because I don't understand it yet.
ICON
Old 04-03-2017, 11:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

fancy car

I loved the Klaus/be scenes

yes kol and bex I was thinking the same thing Kara a spin off with them hehe

{}
Old 04-04-2017, 10:53 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Elijah - You got laid...yay? There wasn't much going on for him so....
I know, right? Normally I like their relationship, but for some reason I wasn't feeling it as much as they want us to. Why is it when couples get together on these shows that it often seems somehow forced?

Quote:
She just said she betrayed and murdered people left and right for 5+ years and yet she's good?
Well, Elijah says she's good--but ofc he's in love with her. I didn't get the impression that she thought she herself was good, just that maybe she was feeling guilty and wanted to change how she'd been acting. It's like before she felt justified bc it was like they were at war, and now that it's peacetime...
Old 04-04-2017, 12:14 PM
Elite Fan

I got that was Elijah's interpretation of her, but it made no sense to me. Even if he's blinded by love this show has a terrible history of love interests ignoring a characters evil deeds because heart eyes. It's annoying and I don't find it romantic in the least. I can see them saying that despite these flaws they love them and believe in good in them, but they blatantly ignore them and it's frustrating.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:37 AM
Dedicated Fan

I LOVED the scenes of Klaus with Hope, and I can't wait to see more.

I like Vincent's storyline., and I can't wait to see where this goes either.

The rest of the episode was pretty meh, IMHO.

I've always though Haylijah were a mismatch, and I find their scenes cringeworthy. Oh well, I don't care either way though, so shrug. It's like the writers want them to be this hot, forbidden, passionate love story but it just...isn't.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

From what I can gather most people are taking the world good too literally. There's a difference between good and pure and everyone seems to be taking good as meaning pure instead of good just meaning good. If that makes any sense. I don't think for a second good was meant to be taking in the sense of pure. It think it was more of Elijah comparing Hayley to himself and meaning compared to him and his family, Hayley isn't quite there yet. I'm sure over time that'll change because the body count will change. It. But for now, I just wouldn't take the word good as meaning literally good.

Maybe I'm biased, but I don't take it as Elijah looking past Hayley's faults. I see it as Hayley already feeling bad about everything so Elijah doesn't try to rub salt into the wounds and vice versa. They both know they've done bad things in the past and they already feel guilty enough on their own so why add to it and make them feel even worse, You don't try to make the person you love feel worse than they already do. But everyone is sure to have a different view on this. People who ship them and people who don't will usually always look at it from different angles so I guess it just depends on where you're looking at it from.

{taek su mi sun}
Old 04-05-2017, 08:06 PM
Elite Fan

I didn't see the "goodness talk" as equating it to pureness. I think they're all way past that point . I just don't like how much love interests tend to ignore the evil deeds of the ones they love. I can understand it if it was portrayed as him not wanting to kick her when she was down, but it didn't come off that way to me. It came off as Elijah holding Hayley on some pedestal and being this paragon of goodness and moral integrity and she isn't. None of them are. She just explained to him how she manipulated and killed people for 5+ years. No matter that her reasons were to keep her kid and the coffin club safe she still killed people who were innocent. If they were bad people then I don't see the point in her bringing up how she betrayed and killed people. This was her guilt talking because she knew there was another path to take and she didn't because she wanted to guarantee her loved ones safety.

I can understand and appreciate her choices and decisions. I can commend her for keeping them all safe and alive for 5+ years, but she did terrible things to do it and that doesn't make her a good person. I think the writing was off in the dialogue. Elijah could have easily acknowledged her sins and still said something along the lines of how good people sometimes do terrible things and that doesn't mean they're terrible people. But instead we get stuck with them sweeping everything under the carpet and that's the most frustrating to me. Not that they want to say Hayley is a good person, but that they ignore all the bad things she's done in order to claim she is one.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Dedicated Fan

^ I love these kinds of discussions which really dig in and go beyond individual preferences! I think you are both right in a sense. I have always kind of liked Elijah and Hayley although I don't ship them in particular. However, I think the writers DO want us to "root" for them, because we see that this is what these characters have wanted for a long time. I don't think the writers are saying the relationship is necessarily the best or the healthiest. I think it is more about what it says about the individual characters rather than the unit. Elijah ALWAYS puts those he loves on a pedestal--especially the women he loves, but also his family and himself. He glosses over their faults in the name of ideals like "family". It's what we love about him! At the same time it is not healthy because he keeps what is ugly behind "the red door".

However, once characters get together on these shows the writing itself tends to gloss over everything in the name of "The Grand Romance". This may please shippers (for a while) but alienate the general audience and ultimately does disservice to the story and characters. Characters, particularly the female characters, start behaving more like ideals rather than real people. Hayley is beginning to seem this way to me in this episode and the current one, for instance.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:09 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthisbeauty (View Post)
^ I love these kinds of discussions which really dig in and go beyond individual preferences! I think you are both right in a sense. I have always kind of liked Elijah and Hayley although I don't ship them in particular. However, I think the writers DO want us to "root" for them, because we see that this is what these characters have wanted for a long time. I don't think the writers are saying the relationship is necessarily the best or the healthiest. I think it is more about what it says about the individual characters rather than the unit. Elijah ALWAYS puts those he loves on a pedestal--especially the women he loves, but also his family and himself. He glosses over their faults in the name of ideals like "family". It's what we love about him! At the same time it is not healthy because he keeps what is ugly behind "the red door".

However, once characters get together on these shows the writing itself tends to gloss over everything in the name of "The Grand Romance". This may please shippers (for a while) but alienate the general audience and ultimately does disservice to the story and characters. Characters, particularly the female characters, start behaving more like ideals rather than real people. Hayley is beginning to seem this way to me in this episode and the current one, for instance.
That's my only problem when either Elijah or Hayley express any kind of guilt for past actions, I generally don't feel it from either one of them. They say they feel guilt but then as you point out the writers just gloss it over with the next second. Take for instance characters on Angel when they discussed past sins they done they really feel the guilt and it's not just glossed over it becomes very important of the character's layers. Great example would be Wesley when he turned dark and did some rather nasty things he definitely felt guilt about it. Rather on this show is somewhat is talked about and then it's not mentioned again.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Dedicated Fan

Where is the discussion thread for 4X07??