Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Master Fan

I'm heartbroken that we won't get to see how it all ends in her own words - that is why Midnight will always be the last TVD book I read. I think the publishers did her wrong. My thoughts on the ghostwriter thing is this, if the ghostwriter is going to go on writing the books and write exactly what the publishers want- and still have LJ's name on the cover, they aren't true writers, because authors are supposed to be passionate about their stories
Old 02-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Master Fan

I'm torn. i feel bad for her in the sense that it sucks to have that happen, but it also sounds like she knew the rules from early on. If she was rebelling and doing her own thing just because, she shouldn't be surprised she got jeopardized. I'm not even a published author and I know how this works.

'Cause I don't know who I am, who I am without you All I know is that I should
And I don't know if I could stand another hand upon you All I know is that I should
'Cause she will love you more than I could She who dares to stand where I stood
JohnSara
Old 02-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

I feel bad for her too.Its not going to be easy

{}
Old 02-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

I feel bad for her, but it won't stop me reading. She doesn't want fans to, so why should we? I am certainly willing to give it a chance. And there was so much that she did was so wrong, so I'm looking forward to this ghost writer in attempting to fix the mess LJS go herself into.

Natalie,
that's right. She knew, even if she didn't understand completely. It's just like any job really that you get hired to do. They hire you do a specific thing, if you don't comply.. then they have every right to dismiss you.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
She doesn't want fans to, so why should we?
Because even though LJ has done some things in the books that I may not like, to me, it will always be her story. She started it and I wish she were able to finish it. Since the books aren't be given the freedom to grow naturally and have to stick to certain strict guidelines then I personally see no point in reading them. I won't be. Sorry LJ I guess I'm just used to what she has given me.

And IDK about calling what she has written so far a "mess". I mean yes there are some problems but we wouldn't be reading them if the whole thing was just crap, right?

Villanelleღ

Kem (Tumblr)
Old 02-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

I meant the return has been a mess, there is a reason why long time fans refuse to even read that trilogy. More people disliked it than liked it.

Of course it will always be her story. But eh.. more SE and DB for me.. all the better.

If you think I'm a bad person for that, then fine. But I don't see the harm in seeing the plots this ghost writers will bring up in the books. I'm up for anything. I'm not a boycotter in any sense, so it does not make any sense to do it here.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
If you think I'm a bad person for that, then fine.
I didn't say anything like that, not even sure what that has to do w/ what we were talking about but hey, enjoy the rest of the books.

Villanelleღ

Kem (Tumblr)
Old 02-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Master Fan

I like the return

I just don't feel like reading the vampire diaries when it's not really written by LJ Smith. If someone else writes it, the whole feel of the book is different. It would be like reading fanfiction.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

I was just trying to point out, that I don't think it can harm in checking something out before judging.

I guess we'll see soon in time.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:56 AM
Passionate Fan

I only read the books for DE. So for me, I'm not reading the new books bc there is no point. I understand why some people would want to, but I just won't be invested in what's left
Old 02-11-2011, 03:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Xo, Kitty

TBH, I am not upset. at all. The books were getting so far off track. They were just weiiiirdddd. I hope the ghost writer can bring it back to the first books. THOSE WERE GOOD. the whole second dimension is just the weirdest thing ever.

AndwhileI DONT ship SE at all, it started with them in the books, I feel like it should end that way anyways. I had a feeling it would end SE regardless, so why toy with DE fans if they have no shot at endgame anyways. LJ was just going to end him with Bonnie... so yeah, dont really care.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

Man, this thread has turned less into an LJ Smith appreciation thread and more into a LJ Smith is lack luster thread can we change that?

Villanelleღ

Kem (Tumblr)
Old 02-11-2011, 03:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

I think the fact the publishers did not have anyone else write the books for years and continued with her shows their own acknowledgment that it was "her" book. They may own the rights to it, but she was the one who fleshed out the characters and gave them life on paper and wrote the stories that made The Vampire Diaries what they are. People may not have liked her writing style or the direction her stories took but it doesn't change the fact she made Vampire Diaries what it is (the books that attracted Julie Plec's attention and ended up being turned into a very successful hit series, for one). She put a lot of work and effort into this, put her heart into this. So it is sad to see it taken from her. Especially as based on creative differences. Which is something I don't think publishers should be able to interfere on. So even if I was not a fan of her work or anything, I would oppose her treatment based on principle. I think a writer and her work deserves to be handled with more respect and fairness than the way she was. It should NOT be OK to just tear her off from her own books and discard her away.

No one other than LJ Smith can know what her "endgame" was and given in her e-mails she keeps mentioning how the biggest problems between her and her publishers were the Damon/Elena parts, and how they wanted the pairing to not have as much debth and meaning as she gave them, that seems to be the main reason why she ended up fired. Given LJ Smith thought DE was a pairing worth fighting for I seriously doubt she was just "toying" with DE fans. And as it was HER creation and HER story I don't see how anyone can dictate to her what her endgame was supposed to be. Those in "power" can fire her for it, if it is not to their liking, as they seem to have done so, but doesn't mean they changed HER story's ending or HER endgame or her vision. Her "story", as in the original story of The Vampire Diaries, is NEVER going to be seen due to her firing. THAT is why some don't feel the need to check the books anymore as it is going to be little more than "fanfiction" now. Just in a more fancy wrapping, and one you pay for. I think for some, who do not necessarily look into this whole ordeal from a "shipping" or "story" point of view, but rather from a "writer's right" POV it is also a matter of having a stand against such a treatment of a writer.
Love crime

LOGH

Last edited by Schumiac; 02-11-2011 at 03:34 AM
Old 02-11-2011, 03:44 AM
Fan Forum Star

^I get what your saying, and I feel horrible that it was taken away from her. And we may never know what her endgame was going to be. Going from an email, she didn't know WHO would end up with whom as she expected more books to explore the characters.
Some say could have been DE and some say DB, considering it wasn't just DE the publishers had a problem with. She had to fight to keep Bonnie and the DB scenes in Midnight.. as they didn't want Bonnie to have as much screentime.

I very doubt the whole endgame thing was the only reason she was fired. I'd imagine it probably had something to do with the whole The Return trilogy as a whole.
They had apparantly been disagreeing a lot, and I guess it got to a point where they could not agree. Sure, they should have had faith in her.. but we never can understand the POV of the publishers.. and might never will.

And I can understand that some people may decide not to read the other trilogy based on loyalty toward LJS or how it might be disrespect to the series.
I myself, am just not judgng something until I read it myself. It may not be the same, that much is true, but it doesn't mean it can't be good in its own right.

I'm just gonna wait and see. I'm an optimistic by nature and I like to see things for myself before judging.

I personally think she should have stopped after book 4, where it ended on a good note.
Even for those people who will consider Midnight to be the last book that they'll ever read, at least, I suppose it could be given as a good last book.. as it gives something for each pairing.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:12 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay to the Lights (View Post)
I meant the return has been a mess, there is a reason why long time fans refuse to even read that trilogy. More people disliked it than liked it.

Of course it will always be her story. But eh.. more SE and DB for me.. all the better.

If you think I'm a bad person for that, then fine. But I don't see the harm in seeing the plots this ghost writers will bring up in the books. I'm up for anything. I'm not a boycotter in any sense, so it does not make any sense to do it here.
I'm pretty sure the reason you're so optimistic is because you know Stelena is end game in the books. Though I do feel it's predictable now anyway, knowing how it's going to end.