Fan Forum Hero

Wonder-ful (4x21) - Episode Discussion

Wonder - ful
4x21 - episode discussion
[B][CENTER]THURSDAY, MAY 2
--"GLEE" - (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT)

LIFE IS STEVIE WONDER-FUL ON AN ALL-NEW "GLEE" THURSDAY, MAY 2 ON FOX

Katey Sagal ("Sons of Anarchy") Guest-Stars, Plus Kate Hudson ("Nine") Returns

The members of New Directions take on the greatest hits of music icon Stevie Wonder. Meanwhile, Artie receives news that could affect his future and his mom (guest star Sagal). In New York, Rachel prepares for her "Funny Girl" callback in the all-new "Wonder-ful" episode of GLEE airing Thursday, May 2 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GLE-421) (TV-14 D, L)

Cast: Matthew Morrison as Will Schuester; Lea Michele as Rachel Berry; Cory Monteith as Finn Hudson; Amber Riley as Mercedes Jones; Chris Colfer as Kurt Hummel; Mark Salling as Noah Puckerman; Kevin McHale as Artie; Jenna Ushkowitz as Tina; Naya Rivera as Santana Lopez; Darren Criss as Blaine Anderson; Chord Overstreet as Sam Evans; Amber Riley as Mercedes Jones; Harry Shum, Jr. as Mike Chang;.

Guest Cast: Katey Sagal as Nancy Abrams; Kate Hudson as Cassandra July; Jacob Artist as Jake Puckerman; Melissa Benoist as Marley Rose; Becca Tobin as Kitty Wilde; Alex Newell as Wade Adams; and Blake Jenner as Ryder Lynn; Lauren Potter as Becky Jackson; Mike O'Malley as Burt Hummel; and Romy Rosemont as Carole Hudson-Hummel.

Based on previous heated debates, we (moderators) have decided to list some guidelines and rules that need to be followed on all episode discussions here.
1. Do not bash any of the cast members or writers. Discussion should be about characters. Substituting an actors name for a character when discussing the character is not okay. They're not the same person. Respectfully critiquing someone's performance or a writer's contribution is fine, however, bashing and being rude about them is not. Offensive nicknames for the writers and cast-members are also not to be used here. This is against Fan Forum policy and is an insult to real people.

2. Feel free to visit the general discussion threads or the previous episode discussion threads here to continue talking about episodes that have already aired.

3. Be respectful to each other, moderators, and to every fandom despite your personal beliefs. Previous episode discussions presented us with problems and we'd like to prevent this from happening. We encourage a good debate, but let's keep it respectful. Personal attacks are not needed, nor allowed here. Targeting another poster on who they support or why their argument is invalid is also unnecessary. Please refer back to Fan Forum's rules regarding this. No matter who you support or ship, we are all fans and people, too.

4. This is a Glee Appreciation board. And as such, it is great to critique, debate and interact respectfully with the fans. But we cannot emphasize enough that calling the show, its cast and crew, etc. 'racist', 'homophobic' or 'sexist' is extremely offensive and will not be tolerated. This board isn't the place for these remarks. Please take it off site or keep it to yourself.
Thank you, everyone!

Happy Hunger Games Glee Discussion!
Old 05-03-2013, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Fan

It was an ok episode. It was nice that Mercedes FINALLY got a storyline and Mike was actually used. I know they don't want to bog down NY with originals but it would make total sense for Mercedes to visit there for a while if not a year or two now that her cd has fallen through. Her and Santana would make total sense as roomies trying to make it big.

I still hate it though how the writers just keep trying to make Marley/Jake NDs saving grace. How is Jake NDs new secret weapon? Did they forget that Britt is still a dancer and what about Kitty? She is on the cheerios, clearly knows how to dance and part of why they even hired Becca is because she actually knows how to dance. But I was happy that Kitty FINALLY gets a solo.

Nice to see Arties mom, sucks that like mama Lopez it was like 5 minutes of the entire episode. They like to waste quality guest stars don't they?

Klaine has just become annoying, Blaine thinks just because gays can get married now that he has to jump on the bandwagon and get hitched right away to his high school love.

While NY has been fun to watch, Rachel+NYADA has just been boring. We've spent the past 4 years watching Rachel Berry get everything handed to her on a silver platter. They finally had the chance to make her work harder to be the best by being around other Rachel Berrys and they don't even introduce other Rachel Berrys like they originally talked about. And now Cassandra pulls a total 180 and has been harder on Rachel then anyone because she believes in her and not because she found her annoying. Can you say annoying? And was that even Rachels final in that class because that was easy for her to do nothing. Which leads me to....Rachels audition is next week, her final was suppose to be next week, we still have 14 more episodes to get us to the end of May in the Gleeverse and we are already past Valentines Day so we should be in March/early April right now so why is Rachel already having a final? And did Kurt skip an entire week of classes?

Oh and it is also annoying that Joe/Sugar/Brittany/Finn have been absent since like forever and they are never even brought up as to why they aren't around. Is it really that hard for them to sit Joe/Sugar in the choir room and have them do nothing like the had Tina for 3 years? Because it is ridiculous that they magically will show up for Regionals like they never disappeared. Writers couldn't even come up with a reason why Finn would miss Burts appointment.

All in all they really need to stop cramming so many storylines into 1 episode. They have 22 episodes at 40 mins an ep to tell stories. Why they feel the need to cram so much into an episode baffles me. They shouldn't go over 2 storylines in an episode with some subtle subplots.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:03 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer (View Post)
It was an ok episode. It was nice that Mercedes FINALLY got a storyline and Mike was actually used. I know they don't want to bog down NY with originals but it would make total sense for Mercedes to visit there for a while if not a year or two now that her cd has fallen through. Her and Santana would make total sense as roomies trying to make it big.

I still hate it though how the writers just keep trying to make Marley/Jake NDs saving grace. How is Jake NDs new secret weapon? Did they forget that Britt is still a dancer and what about Kitty? She is on the cheerios, clearly knows how to dance and part of why they even hired Becca is because she actually knows how to dance. But I was happy that Kitty FINALLY gets a solo.

Nice to see Arties mom, sucks that like mama Lopez it was like 5 minutes of the entire episode. They like to waste quality guest stars don't they?

Klaine has just become annoying, Blaine thinks just because gays can get married now that he has to jump on the bandwagon and get hitched right away to his high school love.

While NY has been fun to watch, Rachel+NYADA has just been boring. We've spent the past 4 years watching Rachel Berry get everything handed to her on a silver platter. They finally had the chance to make her work harder to be the best by being around other Rachel Berrys and they don't even introduce other Rachel Berrys like they originally talked about. And now Cassandra pulls a total 180 and has been harder on Rachel then anyone because she believes in her and not because she found her annoying. Can you say annoying? And was that even Rachels final in that class because that was easy for her to do nothing. Which leads me to....Rachels audition is next week, her final was suppose to be next week, we still have 14 more episodes to get us to the end of May in the Gleeverse and we are already past Valentines Day so we should be in March/early April right now so why is Rachel already having a final? And did Kurt skip an entire week of classes?

Oh and it is also annoying that Joe/Sugar/Brittany/Finn have been absent since like forever and they are never even brought up as to why they aren't around. Is it really that hard for them to sit Joe/Sugar in the choir room and have them do nothing like the had Tina for 3 years? Because it is ridiculous that they magically will show up for Regionals like they never disappeared. Writers couldn't even come up with a reason why Finn would miss Burts appointment.

All in all they really need to stop cramming so many storylines into 1 episode. They have 22 episodes at 40 mins an ep to tell stories. Why they feel the need to cram so much into an episode baffles me. They shouldn't go over 2 storylines in an episode with some subtle subplots.
during college finals happen in the winter and in the spring it happens in high school too
Old 05-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Fan

Finals would be in early May for college, maybe mid may for high school. Unless NYADA does their finals starting early April which might be the shows timeframe at this point.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Coconut Custard* (View Post)
during college finals happen in the winter and in the spring it happens in high school too
I believe Season 4 is going to be the 2nd half of the 2012-2013 school year in "Glee Time." It's not really May in "Glee Time" it's only March or April or whenever Regionals happen.

It was an okay episode. It wasn't amazing, but it didn't suck either. I was disappointed that they didn't cover "Part Time Lover" or "I Just Called To Say I Love You" as those are my two favorite Stevie Wonder songs.

It was great to see Mercedes, Mike, and Kurt back at McKinley again. Now I want to buy Mercedes' new CD!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Which leads me to....Rachels audition is next week, her final was suppose to be next week, we still have 14 more episodes to get us to the end of May in the Gleeverse and we are already past Valentines Day so we should be in March/early April right now so why is Rachel already having a final? And did Kurt skip an entire week of classes?
Pretty sure Cassandra said midterm
For Kurt...his teachers may have let him miss them because he was back for his dad's cancer.
In college missing one week means missing 2-3 classes out of the allowed 5 so...

Would've been nice to get a text from Finn or something..maybe he had a test ...can't really blame the writers there though with Cory's rehab.

Don't really get Mercedes issue...especially as she had no problem showing skin in the last number..exposing her shoulders isn't like being nude so...

Last edited by Wingster; 05-03-2013 at 10:30 AM
Old 05-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Fan

They wanted Mercedes to be sexed up, showing up cleavage.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Did they? I thought the guy just said take that shoulder thing off
Old 05-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer (View Post)

You made some excellent points. I enjoyed the episode simply because it focused on more of the original cast. I found Cassandra's complete change in attitude toward Rachel to be unbelievable, and I kept waiting for it to be revealed that she was secretly looking to sabotage Rachel, but that didn't happen. I was happy that Kurt's father is okay because I love that character and his relationship with Kurt. I loved the advice that he gave to Blaine.

I liked the Stevie Wonder songs that were selected, and I really got to see how talented the actress who plays Kitty is. They have Kitty bouncing back and forth between being mean and harsh to kind and concerned, which makes no sense. I wish that we could have seen more of Katie Sagal as Artie's mother. I've always liked her.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 05-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Elite Fan

Blaine came off incredibly selfish last night. First off, you're not even dating the guy and Kurt has given no signals that he's ready for even that. Second, Kurt just got accepted into school and as far as we know is still casually dating Adam. Third, Finchel were dating before their engagement, and neither of them cheated on each other months before. The comparison to them didn't work. Fourth, what was up with the gay marriage pin...he made the whole thing about himself. Fifth, it was mighty suspicious that he was going to ask for Burt's permission right AFTER he went into remission. That's just weird and a little opportunistic. I was very annoyed with him after being okay with Blaine the last couple weeks.

I was very happy to see Carole again, and seeing them celebrate Burt's news. Kinda sad too considering Cory couldn't be there probably.

Artie and another blonde cheerleader. Yawn. But I did love his storyline, scene with his mother (Finally), and the fact that he'll be in NY. Hopefully with Tina!

Okay, I know this is out there, but follow me. What if Mike/Mercedes dated? No, think about it. They're both low-key, come back to the Glee Club (usually together) and it would be a good reason for both of them to keep coming back. I know there's a lot of Tike support but single Tina has been awesome (including her pointing out the gender problems on the show). I thought it was sweet how Kurt and Mike were there for Mercedes.
The Mercedes plot was the best thing in the episode really. Yay for not giving in to record producers who are idiots!

Uptight Alright was a lot of fun. Rachel's still not a good dancer but I was surprised how much I liked the NYADA bits. I always said that as soon as Rachel got some genuine support (albeit random), the NYADA moments would improve. IMO, they did.

Back to Kartie, or Kitty/Artie. I don't want Artie with a girl that convinced another girl to stop eating. I appreciated the apology to Marley and she's become more likeable, but not to the point where I ship it.

Loved seeing Mike dance to Stevie Wonder. The best performance for me was For Once In My Life. The others were cute enough.

Alright episode altogether.

eta: We couldn't see Wemma's second proposal. Jayma Mays should just leave after the wedding. It's like she doesn't exist 92% of the time.

icon
Old 05-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
(including her pointing out the gender problems on the show).
I hate that...it deserves to be changed...not pointed out and mocked.

also...Tina's going to Vet school...what?
What happened to her dream of performing like she said in s3
Old 05-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Elite Fan

She said the vet school was her safety in case she didn't make it into performing arts schools.

icon
Old 05-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberry (View Post)
Blaine came off incredibly selfish last night. First off, you're not even dating the guy and Kurt has given no signals that he's ready for even that. Second, Kurt just got accepted into school and as far as we know is still casually dating Adam. Third, Finchel were dating before their engagement, and neither of them cheated on each other months before. The comparison to them didn't work. Fourth, what was up with the gay marriage pin...he made the whole thing about himself. Fifth, it was mighty suspicious that he was going to ask for Burt's permission right AFTER he went into remission. That's just weird and a little opportunistic. I was very annoyed with him after being okay with Blaine the last couple weeks.
Of course them getting engaged this young is unreasonable and all that. But I somehow didn't read his conversation with Burt about marriage as being that 'serious' -- even if Blaine probably took it absolutely seriously. By not serious I don't mean Blaine doesn't love Kurt, he surely does, but his planned proposal was more about him not being able to come up with something more utterly romantic as asking Kurt to marry him. He's just desperate and wants Kurt back. That's pretty much it as far as I can see. Plus he wanted Burt to know that, too
Old 05-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Elite Fan

It looks like he's going shopping for a ring in the next one. The sad thing is that I do think it's serious.

icon
Old 05-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Total Fan

^ Alright, I hadn't seen the promo of the next episode before. I thought Burt's been successful in talking Blaine out of his plan

It's just to hope that he'll realize it's a bad idea.