Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBudgrl8 (View Post)
I think what I have the biggest problem with is the fact that it's fine if you gave something your all and did whatever you could and lost. You know that you did your best but someone else was just better so then I'm fine with ND losing and them being okay with losing a competition. What did not sit well with me was this kumbaya bs that they spout when they half-ass it at a Nationals competition. I really wish Shelby would have become co-director and whipped these kids into shape.

I just get tired of hearing "that's not our style" when ND doesn't want to do something or listen to someone else. And I'll stop right there before I get even more ranty.

Love that art, Britt. AOBTD...
The problem I found in the "that's not our style" attitude was that the people who found it objectionable did the exact same thing prior to Sectionals. Not pointing fingers, or naming names, but everyone knows who said it. And that person was the same person to say that focusing on the talent of only certain members of the club was basically the best way to win Sectionals. It's fine not to agree with Jesse's style, even though he's won 4 national titles, but be consistent in your opposition. Besides, Jesse was right. All the times that ND have definitively won competitions, they've had focus on one member, then did a group number.

Jesse was just saying to play to their strengths. He just said it in away that rubbed people the wrong way.

Honestly, ND isn't a show choir anymore. It's a group of kids using each other for "outcast support." They're more focused on changing their status, and not being seen as losers anymore, than they are on being competitors. They want to win without having to put 110% forth. And it shows.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Our History (View Post)
Honestly, ND isn't a show choir anymore. It's a group of kids using each other for "outcast support." They're more focused on changing their status, and not being seen as losers anymore, than they are on being competitors. They want to win without having to put 110% forth. And it shows.
OMG, yes! This is exactly what they've become. They're a show choir in name only, with their little exercises meant to make them feel good about themselves. While Jesse's criticism rubbed them the wrong way, given the bluntness of his delivery, it was still 100% valid advice. The fact they ignored it? Well, that's their loss - literally.
icon: kankonkine | Ann
Old 06-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
All the times that ND have definitively won competitions, they've had focus on one member, then did a group number.
It's true. When they won Sectionals last year (Rachel sang DROMP) and when they won Regionals this year (Rachel sang GIR), they had Rachel do the solo b/c she knocks it out of the park and then did a group number to showcase everyone. As Jesse said, I guess they really were going for the "good try ribbon" at Nationals.

Quote:
Jesse was just saying to play to their strengths. He just said it in away that rubbed people the wrong way.
And the only reason it rubbed them the wrong way is b/c those kids can't take criticism. If they can't sit there and listen to criticism which was a little harsh but valid in most cases then a career in show business is not in the cards for most of them.

Quote:
You know what's sad, I find myself actively rooting against ND when they go to competitions. I feel like they think they're owed something which they're not. Jesse pointed out that while ND were busy preparing for Sue's sister's funeral, VA and every other show choir that was attending Nationals was practicing and perfecting their routines. They weren't writing their freaking songs at the last second. Based on that alone, ND should've placed 12th.

I know that Jesse could help them become a better show choir if they would give him a chance and actually listen to what he has to say.
Amy | visit The 100 | Icon: Voldara
Old 06-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^ ALL OF THIS! (Since I'm too lazy to go through it point by point. )

What's really unfortunate is that they're not going to take what happened at Nationals and realize that they need to heed the advise that Jesse gave them and next year, they're going to end up winning the whole shebang just because this cast is on its way out. Honestly, I want Shelby to come back to VA, and have Jesse team up with her, and make that the show choir to beat again. Then I want them to beat the pants of ND.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBudgrl8 (View Post)
As Jesse said, I guess they really were going for the "good try ribbon" at Nationals.
And that's pretty much what they got. Yeah, so it was actually a tiny little trophy, but it basically amounted to the same thing.

Quote:
If they can't sit there and listen to criticism which was a little harsh but valid in most cases then a career in show business is not in the cards for most of them.
In all honesty, except for maybe Kurt, I've never gotten the impression that any of them really want a career in show business. If they do, they're certainly not going about it the right way, and they will have to develop tougher skins to make it.

Quote:
VA and every other show choir that was attending Nationals was practicing and perfecting their routines. They weren't writing their freaking songs at the last second. Based on that alone, ND should've placed 12th.
Based on that last minute prep, I think 12th place was overly generous. If I recall correctly, I think there were supposed to be 50 show choirs there, and assuming that they're all fairly decent to have made it to the national level, I think ND probably merited to be somewhere in the 40s. Maybe that would have shaken them up enough so that they'd take Jesse's advice next year - if he deigned to give it to them.
icon: kankonkine | Ann
Old 06-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Honestly, I want Shelby to come back to VA, and have Jesse team up with her, and make that the show choir to beat again. Then I want them to beat the pants of ND.
You know, that's fine if they want to have them win Nationals b/c this cast will all be graduating, but let's try to make it a little more believable when it happens. I think Ann said in an earlier post that they could just mention that they're working on their setlist but the stuff they do in class for lessons or whatever could be extra. They don't have to reveal their competition setlists.

But back to the part that I'm actually quoting I would love it Jesse teamed up with VA and Shelby came back and they kicked ND ass at Nationals. I know it would've been time consuming but I would've loved it if Jesse had shown ND a video of his performance with VA the previous year when they won Nationals again. That way we could've seen VA in all its epic glory again with Jesse at the helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar61 (View Post)
In all honesty, except for maybe Kurt, I've never gotten the impression that any of them really want a career in show business. If they do, they're certainly not going about it the right way, and they will have to develop tougher skins to make it.
The 3 besides Rachel that I'm absolutely certain of are Kurt, Mercedes and Tina but hell even Kurt had a hissy fit over what Jesse said. All Kurt heard Jesse say was that it was a girl's song that he didn't perform all that well, but what I took away from what Jesse was saying was that if you are going to do a song like that then you better blow it out of the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar61 (View Post)
Based on that last minute prep, I think 12th place was overly generous.
I was actually going to say earlier that they probably deserved last but then that was just a tad harsh.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

For them to make a ND win convincing, to me, they'd have to get the show back to basics generally. Go back to the first 13 formula, go back to the music being the heart of the show, and cut out 80% of all the pairings drama and whatnot. Honestly, ND winning Sectionals, Regionals, then Nationals, has more to do with productive song choices and practice than who's dating who and who's stealing who's boyfriend.

Actually, if I think about Jesse's comments about the kiss, I think the message behind it can be applied to that whole Glee club. Essentially, he told Finn and Rachel that they let what was going on outside of Glee club get in the way of the performance itself. No matter how you ship, the way they acted about and at Nationals was highly unprofessional. And people can say, "Well, they're not professionals," but I imagine at that level of competition, you have to be.

To be winners, you have to leave your personal drama at the door. Essentially, that's what Jesse said. I'm sure he was a little hurt by what he saw - and why wouldn't he be since the girl he loves kissed someone else - but that doesn't change the fact that what he said was true. There's a difference between putting emotion in your performance, and bringing your team drama to the stage.

At the end of the day, Jesse offered them a chance to win. He told them they had to suck it up, and work hard. And they didn't want to because, like has been said, they feel entitled because they've been bullied and treated like misfits for Glee club.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Master Fan

ITA with your entire post, Beth but especially this part...

Quote:
To be winners, you have to leave your personal drama at the door. Essentially, that's what Jesse said. I'm sure he was a little hurt by what he saw - and why wouldn't he be since the girl he loves kissed someone else - but that doesn't change the fact that what he said was true. There's a difference between putting emotion in your performance, and bringing your team drama to the stage.
I mean, I can understand why he was hurt by what he saw but unlike the ND kids, Jesse can separate the personal from the "professional". It's not like what he said about the kiss wasn't valid even if Finn didn't think it was. And to the bolded, FR can think the kiss was some amazing thing which maybe it was for them personally but obviously for the judges it was off-putting and Jesse was right. Just like he was right about there unpreparedness for Nationals.

Although, now that I think about it, he's Jesse St. James. He's always right.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

is there any new photos of him?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Master Fan

Yeah, he presented at the Theatre World Awards. He chopped his hair off. I think he looks so completely yummy with his new haircut. Here's the link to the pictures.

06-07-11: 67th Annual Theatre World Awards Ceremony - Lea & Jonathan Image Gallery

Last edited by brave princess; 06-08-2011 at 12:54 PM
Old 06-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Master Fan

MY CURLS!!

I keep starring at him trying to get use to it. But then I look at a pic of his beautiful curls and I mourn all over again.

I'd still ravage the man even if he shaved his head but I have my preferences.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:14 AM
Part-Time Fan

Here's something I've just made:

What do you think?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Master Fan

Ohh I love it Marleni! I've actually been wanting to spice up the OP for awhile now. Would you mind if I added it in?

I think we could do an official OP overhaul sometime soon. But after the JR one. Can only handle so much.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Part-Time Fan

Sure, I'd be happy
Sorry my English isn't well, sometimes I don't understand what you guys write.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

I miss the old hair!