Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Master Fan

Idk why RM/the writers chose this route with Brittana. Whatever their intention is, I don't like it. I think Naya & Heather have done the best they could with the material they have been given (btw I love that Naya is such a huge Brittana shipper ) and I will love Brittana no matter what. I just wish they could get a better treatment and storyline

ETA: amous05, thanks for the link but please remember not to double post

→ angie | ©
Old 11-15-2010, 10:29 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveuever (View Post)
Idk why RM/the writers chose this route with Brittana. Whatever their intention is, I don't like it. I think Naya & Heather have done the best they could with the material they have been given (btw I love that Naya is such a huge Brittana shipper ) and I will love Brittana no matter what. I just wish they could get a better treatment and storyline

ETA: amous05, thanks for the link but please remember not to double post
Oh yeah! sorry! I keep forgetting. Never again!
Old 11-16-2010, 01:02 PM
New Fan

I told a coworker about this thread and she suggested that I might be exploiting some frustrated and emotionally vulnerable kids to feed my condescending attitude and abrasive love of argument. (My snarky reply: "Golly gee whiz, you say that like it's a bad thing.") Plus, I'm probably a decade older than any of you, so there's a creepiness factor snuggling up with the general unfairness of my experience advantage.

So, anyway, this is my overdue final post. Best of luck to Brittany, Santana and all of you.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migraine Boy (View Post)
I told a coworker about this thread and she suggested that I might be exploiting some frustrated and emotionally vulnerable kids to feed my condescending attitude and abrasive love of argument. (My snarky reply: "Golly gee whiz, you say that like it's a bad thing.") Plus, I'm probably a decade older than any of you, so there's a creepiness factor snuggling up with the general unfairness of my experience advantage.

So, anyway, this is my overdue final post. Best of luck to Brittany, Santana and all of you.
Aw, I actually enjoyed your POV, and even agreed with it. Feel free to post any time and don't even worry about it.

Nikki||Cory Monteith||Icon by bluefire311 (lj)
Old 11-16-2010, 09:19 PM
New Fan

Just watched the new Glee...Loved Gwyneth Paltrows character...but, I was dissapointed. Did anyone else find Mercedes storyline offensive? Like really? the only full-figured main character on the show, they give her a plotline about an obsession with food? and then ofcourse..the main dissapointment of the night...again, a lack of Brittany/Santana...Even I'm beginning to get discouraged now.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I think Artie was quite a bit more depressed. He was mourning the loss of his girlfriend; Quinn just felt fat that day. And, no, it's not exactly the same. Puck used booze and far more peer pressure, so yes, he was a much bigger jerk than Brittany. Regardless, exploiting someone in an emotionally fragile state is insensitive.
The thing is we never even got to see how Quinn felt. Not important enough? And we see Artie yell at Brittany, yet the fact that Puck did something wrong isn't even acknowledged.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:57 AM
Master Fan

No coupley Brittana moment in the last episode but I think they are back to being the "background" couple

→ angie | ©
Old 11-18-2010, 12:16 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Oh, hey, I got a response after all. Cool. Let's see...

Err ... no. Not even close. Where the heck did you get that? I'm saying it's not okay for anybody to treat anybody like dirt, but some people only seem to have a problem when it's a boy mistreating a girl.

Are we watching the same show? Because I don't think Glee is sending this message al all. The subtext I'm getting is: "Ladies and gentlemen, if you want to indulge in casual sex, go right ahead. It's your life. However, it may leave you feeling empty." Under their jaded demeanors, Puck, Brittany and Santana all seem forlorn and looking for true love. Ditto for Finn, Artie and Quinn after their sexual experiences. Where's the sexism in that? I don't see it.

I agree, but I'm sure the writers are working up to that. Character development doesn't happen overnight. And ditto for Puck.

But it's okay when girls are insensitive?

First, some girls like guys who are arrogant; they see it as a sign of masculinity and confidence. If you don't believe me, take a look at the number of Puck plus whoever threads on this board. Second, a "bad boy" isn't the same thing as a total scumbag, just like a "bad girl" doesn't equal a psychotic whore. I think the author is losing perspective.

Yes, I agree. Having sex with a woman who's too drunk to say no is rape. Of course, lots of people get a little tipsy before getting laid. Is this about Quinn? Because I've seen no indication that she considers herself a rape victim. But if it's not about Quinn, why are we talking about this subject at all? Puck and Artie swagger around a little and suddenly we're discussing rape? How did we make that conversational leap? This sounds like an over-the-top attempt to push emotional buttons. What's next, Hitler?

Oh, look, Hitler!

I agree that Glee is shaping a generation of viewers and has a solid responsibility to do that well. Unlike the author being quoted here, I think they're more or less doing their job. Yes, Puck is arrogant and aggressive and yes, it gets him sex partners, but it has also left him lonely and loveless. That's a depiction of selfishness, not an endorsement. And I don't see how it can be called sexist since Santana does the same thing. Both characters were created as insensitive, bullying anti-heroes that are slowly transforming into decent human beings, and neither walks around with a sign that says "Everything I say reflects the opinions of the writers."

I think Artie was quite a bit more depressed. He was mourning the loss of his girlfriend; Quinn just felt fat that day. And, no, it's not exactly the same. Puck used booze and far more peer pressure, so yes, he was a much bigger jerk than Brittany. Regardless, exploiting someone in an emotionally fragile state is insensitive.

Okay, final conclusion time. I think these complaints about sexism are misplaced. So two guys made a few obnoxious remarks. So what? On this show, obnoxious remarks fly fast and furious. I think the real reason B/S shippers are pissed at Puck and Artie is because they are obstacles, plain and simple. Television in general and Glee in particular already has plenty of boy-crazy girls. I don't think the writers are implying that drooling over males is a female's duty, but given the lack of hundred-percent-lesbian characters, I'm sure some frustrated viewers feel that's precisely what they're saying. There's the (unintentional) sexism: so far, the show has failed to reach out to gay women the way it's reached out to gay men.

Good talk, everybody.
To sum it up, I agree with your argument, but at the ending of NBK, the show showed the redemption quality of Puck and Artie when Puck told Artie that he doesn't want to go back to Juvie and his "Nobody cared about me" scene in Figgins room, which showed his vulnerable and sensitive side. And Artie when he paid for the meal at Breadstix and when he offered Puck that he'd continue to be his community service.

So, at the end of the day, the males are still the heroes (or broken heroes, if you want to call that) because there's no redemption quality (vulnerability, sensitivity) in Brittany and Santana shown at the end of NBK, and this is how it is portrayed to the viewers, and this doesn't sit well with me. I don't think Glee is going to touch on that issue anytime soon and 'fix' it, anyways... In the meantime, another amazing article:

“Glee’s” Girl Problem The Ebb and Flow <-- Hopefully, this will reach the Glee writers.

And amous05, Glee is the worst in continuity. You're asking if they had dropped any story lines? Yes, they have! The Quinn/Puck story line is gone gone gone... I'm a huge Quick shipper, besides Brittana and both of my ships had been screwed so bad by them.

And Migraine Boy, aww... thanks for stopping by, though. It's always good to hear opinions from someone outside the Brittana bubble because that way, we'll know how the general public views Brittana and the female in the show. Much love.

Last edited by miknge; 11-18-2010 at 12:24 AM
Old 11-18-2010, 05:08 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miknge (View Post)
“Glee’s” Girl Problem The Ebb and Flow <-- Hopefully, this will reach the Glee writers.
Great article. Is it on Gleeclub? It should be.

I don't really think Puck/Quinn was dropped because I don't really think there was much there to begin with... Quinn never showed any feelings toward him But I do wish the writers would have gone through wit her wanting to stay single. After Finn breaks up with her she says she wants to do it alone, then offscreen she moves in with puck and starts dating him (?!) and then again she says she wants to be single and then starts dating Sam.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:34 AM
New Fan

please add me there so cute together
i don't know if it bin post before but this vid made my day =)
YouTube - Brittana: Silly Randomness 1
Old 11-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Master Fan

Dutchy, you've been added

Thanks for the Brittana vid

→ angie | ©
Old 11-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Elite Fan

Sigh, the overwhelming hetero coupleness this latest episode certainly did seem shoved down our throat. But on the plus side, Santana character development! Unfortunately it kind of looks like there's a bit of a plant for San to be the monkey wrench in Finchel.

"Naya's my girl." - Heather Morris

|| Naya Rivera and Heather Morris Board Campaigns||Live Journal||Tumblr||
Old 11-24-2010, 01:10 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casandra (View Post)
Sigh, the overwhelming hetero coupleness this latest episode certainly did seem shoved down our throat. But on the plus side, Santana character development! Unfortunately it kind of looks like there's a bit of a plant for San to be the monkey wrench in Finchel.
I think this episode was good for Brittana. Not in terms of immediate gratification, of course, like "Duets", but in terms of evidence for a longer, ongoing Brittana storyline. While I think Santana will be a catalyst for a Finnchel meltdown, I don't think her role will be anything major. No triangle or anything. I've talked about it in other places, so I'll just paste what I wrote there:

Quote:
I don't think it's necessarily an insecurity over not having a boyfriend, and rather a new longing for a real relationship. I read it as being part of the Brittana storyline, because Brittany's realization of wanting the same thing was the impetus for "Duets" and, now, for the Bartie relationship. Brittany's desire for a real relationship was obviously initially centered on her relationship with Santana, but she substituted later on. Santana's desire for a real relationship is likewise centered on Brittany, although more subtly.

These feelings of Santana's are introduced this episode (and her actions are clearly verging on desperate about halfway through...that line "and then you can start seeing me" is so random and desperate). What's changed in this episode? Finn/Rachel isn't new, nor are Sam/Quinn, and Puck is as free as a bird. The big change is that Britt has her first boyfriend. That is changing her relationship with Santana, leading to Brittany being included in things that Santana excluded from for the first time. When she was asked to leave the little meeting of "Glee girls with boyfriends", what she was losing came into focus. Her attempts for a real relationship may overtly be about finding a boyfriend, but at it's core it's about getting Brittany back.

Given Santana's new feelings, given Brittany's established desire for a real relationship, and given that Tina seemed to be jealous of Bartie (i.e. Bartie isn't long for the world), I'm more convinced than I have been in awhile that Brittany's desire for a real relationship and Santana's desire for a real relationship will bring them together in the end and overturn the "sex is not dating" paradigm that seemed to dominate their world before.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:48 AM
Master Fan

No coupley Brittana scene as usual but there is some character development for Santana.

They had some cute moments at the wedding. This is such a typical Brittana moment

→ angie | ©
Old 11-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveuever (View Post)
No coupley Brittana scene as usual but there is some character development for Santana.

They had some cute moments at the wedding. This is such a typical Brittana moment

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lc...krdzo1_500.gif
I think this was actually one of our first Brittana interactions like that out of their Cheerio uniforms. I kept wondering to myself why it just LOOKED different, and that's what I've realized it is. The hair down and no cheerleading uniforms

"Naya's my girl." - Heather Morris

|| Naya Rivera and Heather Morris Board Campaigns||Live Journal||Tumblr||

Last edited by You.Yes.Youღ; 11-25-2010 at 10:07 AM