Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The Role You Were Born To Play (4x05) - Episode Discussion

The Role You Were Born To Play
4x05 - episode discussion

THE GLEE CLUB PREPARES FOR THEIR BIGGEST ROLES YET ON AN ALL-NEW “GLEE” THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 8 ON FOX

The school production of “Grease” is underway and Marley (Melissa Benoist), Jake (Jacob Artist), Kitty (Becca Tobin) and football player Ryder (“The Glee Project” winner Blake Jenner) compete to play “Danny” and “Sandy.” Meanwhile, former glee clubbers Mercedes (Amber Riley) and Mike (Harry Shum Jr), return to cast the play and Mr. Schuester (Matthew Morrison) struggles with a difficult decision in the all-new “The Role You Were Born To Play” episode of GLEE airing on Thursday, Nov. 8 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GLE-405) (TV-14)

Cast: Matthew Morrison as Will Schuester; Jane Lynch as Sue Sylvester; Lea Michele as Rachel Berry; Cory Monteith as Finn Hudson; Chris Colfer as Kurt; Kevin McHale as Artie; Amber Riley as Mercedes; Mark Salling as Puck; Jenna Ushkowitz as Tina; Naya Rivera as Santana Lopez; Dianna Agron as Quinn; Heather Morris as Brittany; Darren Criss as Blaine Anderson; Chord Overstreet as Sam Evans; and Jayma Mays as Emma Pillsbury.

Guest Cast: Dot Jones as Coach Beiste; Vanessa Lengies as Sugar Motta; Samuel Larsen as Joe Hart; Jacob Artist as Jake Puckerman; Melissa Benoist as Marley Rose; Dean Geyer as Brody Weston; Becca Tobin as Kitty; Iqbal Theba as Principal Figgins; Alex Newell as Wade Adams and Blake Jenner as Ryder Lynn.

Based on previous heated debates, we (moderators) have decided to list some guidelines and rules that need to be followed on all episode discussions here.

1. Do not bash any of the cast members or writers. Discussion should be about characters. Substituting an actors name for a character when discussing the character is not okay. They're not the same person. Respectfully critiquing someone's performance or a writer's contribution is fine, however, bashing and being rude about them is not. Offensive nicknames for the writers and cast-members are also not to be used here. This is against Fan Forum policy and is an insult to real people.

2. Feel free to visit the general discussion threads or the previous episode discussion threads here to continue talking about episodes that have already aired.

3. Be respectful to each other, moderators, and to every fandom despite your personal beliefs. Previous episode discussions presented us with problems and we'd like to prevent this from happening. We encourage a good debate, but let's keep it respectful. Personal attacks are not needed, nor allowed here. Targeting another poster on who they support or why their argument is invalid is also unnecessary. Please refer back to Fan Forum's rules regarding this. No matter who you support or ship, we are all fans and people, too.

4. This is a Glee Appreciation board. And as such, it is great to critique, debate and interact respectfully with the fans. But we cannot emphasize enough that calling the show, its cast and crew, etc. 'racist', 'homophobic' or 'sexist' is extremely offensive and will not be tolerated. This board isn't the place for these remarks. Please take it off site or keep it to yourself.
Thank you, everyone!

Happy Hunger Games Glee Discussion!
Old 11-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Moderator of ...
Graphics Team

OH GOD. OH GOD. OH GOD. OH GOD.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

This looks good can't wait for the episode tonight.

So happy this show is back!
(HTGAWM) Connor&Oliver, (OITNB) John&Daya, (B99) Jake&Amy, (NCIS: LA) Deeks&Kensi, (Castle) Castle&Beckett, (Nashville) Deacon&Rayna, (Chicago Fire) Casey&Dawson, (GMW) Cory&Topanga
Old 11-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

i can't believe it
Old 11-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Master Fan

Very excited for this episode
Old 11-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Mike and Tina. FINALLY
Old 11-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Heartstopper

NEARLY TIME!
nick ♥ charlie
jordan ○ icon
Old 11-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

how did everyone like it ?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Loved this episode SO much.

I didn't miss the NY part one bit.

Ryder is such a promising character and he's a cutie.

I'm very happy with the casting choices!

Loved seeing Mike and Mercedes back, I was never a biggest fan of either but man it felt like Glee, old Glee

Kitty needs to disappear and never return.

Jake your jealousy is showing

I kinda like Marley/Ryder

Emma stood up to Will

Finn owned the episode for me. He went from being so sorry for himself that he wanted to be crush to death, to struggle to be a director to finally realize that he want to make other people's dream come true.

I hate they make him say that thing about Sue's daughter (I mean really? REALLY?!?!) but other than that I loved him so much.

He has really grown up, when he first appeared on our screen he was kinda afraid of Kurt for the unwanted attentions and now he's fighting for Unique to be Rizzo. If this is not growth.

I think they went a little bit over the top with Blaine's heartbreak. It was clear that he was in a deep pain and it really got to me when he ran off the stage but idk I imagined something more silent but since it's not over there's plenty of time for that.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

I really enjoyed this episode it was a nice first episode back from the break and Finn was just awesome through out the episode. Loved all his interactions with characters he hasn't had scenes with like Unique/Wade that was a nice way to get them to have some interaction.

I don't know if I like the new character that much I just don't feel anything for anyone of them yet.
(HTGAWM) Connor&Oliver, (OITNB) John&Daya, (B99) Jake&Amy, (NCIS: LA) Deeks&Kensi, (Castle) Castle&Beckett, (Nashville) Deacon&Rayna, (Chicago Fire) Casey&Dawson, (GMW) Cory&Topanga
Old 11-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I hate they make him say that thing about Sue's daughter (I mean really? REALLY?!?!) but other than that I loved him so much.
Me neither...negated his valid point.
Also that he used the correct term that any doctor would.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Me neither...negated his valid point.
I don't think it invalided his point, he just never got to finish it because he suddenly realized he had put his foot in his mouth big time, he tried to apologize but Sue was already gone by that point.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Part-Time Fan

Don´t liked this episode.

I don´t care about all the new members.
Actually I´d like to see more of Rachel & Kurt in NY.
Was good to see Mercedes & Mike again though.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Loyal Fan

Being a fan of Glee requires patience.
A whole episode without Kurt or Rachel represents a test for fans. I hope the ratings are sufficiently high to encourage more such episodes.
The other thing that was missing was a scene with the Glee Club meeting. If they can get away with more episodes like that, New Directions can grow to over 20 permanent members, several of which will not appear very often. Unless Sugar is going to do something important, we can live without a meaningless one-liner.
It was good to include the Mike-Tina scene, though it still gives no indication about what happened. We need to know before Tina finds a new boyfriend.
Likewise Mercedes and Sam need a scene that defines their relationship status. I hope that comes up, but won't hold my breath.
It is hard for me to look at Unique. It will be torment to watch an ongoing story line about his anguish, especially since the actor might be feeling the same anguish.
The new guy did great, and the fact that he looks exactly like Robbie from My Three Sons has possibilities. Maybe Britney will see an old episode of the show and get strange ideas.
Kitty can sing!
Finn's outburst was consistent with his character. Remember how he lashed out at Kurt in season one? He would not know that the politically correct term is "developmentally disabled."
Sue's comments accurately depicted the feelings of millions. Her opinions don't have to be consistent, just pointed.
Did anybody laugh at anything in this episode? I sure didn't.
I hope that we are to assume that the events in this episode took place in October and next episode will mention hurricane Sandy and Burt's reelection results.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Master Fan

I liked this episode for the most part. Honestly, I didn’t miss the NY side of Glee at all Rachel and Kurt are the only two interesting characters on that side in my opinion, and they just don’t have enough to do there. I didn’t even realize they weren’t in the episode until I had finished it.

I found the parts with the adults boring, but I’m glad Emma stood up to Will. I understand why Will wants her to come, but I agree much more with Emma’s reasons for not wanting to go with him.

As for the auditions and casting, I thought Jake’s audition was much better than Ryder’s. Plus, Finn was the only one who saw Ryder’s audition, so it seems a bit unrealistic to me. I think the big reason they cast Ryder as Danny is to create conflict for Jake/Marley. I’m glad Marley got the role of Sandy though, even though I thought her cover of Blow Me One Last Kiss with Unique was not good Her voice fits Sandy better than Kitty in my opinion.

I loved the Finn/Wade scene, it was nice to get some insight on his struggle to fit in, and it was great to see Finn standing up for him against Sue.

My favorite performances were Everybody Talks and Born To Hand Jive, then Jukebox Hero, Hopelessly Devoted To You, and then Blow Me One Last Kiss. I loved the dancing in ET and BTHJ, and I liked the vocals on all the songs except for BMOLK. I thought the music overpowered their voices too much!