Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Mash-Off (3x06) - Episode Discussion

Mash-Off
3x06 - episode discussion

--“GLEE”—(8:00-9:01 PM ET/PT) CC-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

COMPETITION IS THE NAME OF THE GAME ON AN ALL-NEW “GLEE” TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 15, ON FOX

Sue starts a smear campaign to take down her biggest competitor for the Congressional seat. Meanwhile, Puck has a crush, and Will and Shelby Corcoran encourage some friendly competition in the all-new “Mash Off” episode airing Tuesday, Nov. 15 (8:00-9:01 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GLE-306) (TV-14 D, L, S)

Cast: Matthew Morrison as Will Schuester; Jane Lynch as Sue Sylvester; Lea Michele as Rachel Berry; Cory Monteith as Finn Hudson; Jayma Mays as Emma Pillsbury; Dianna Agron as Quinn; Chris Colfer as Kurt; Kevin McHale as Artie; Amber Riley as Mercedes; Mark Salling as Puck; Jenna Ushkowitz as Tina; Naya Rivera as Santana Lopez; Heather Morris as Brittany; Harry Shum as Mike Chang and Darren Criss as Blaine Anderson.

Guest Cast: Idina Menzel as Shelby Corcoran

Old 11-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

tftnt!

Excited for this episode
Old 11-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

i am too. it seems so... Glee-ish
Old 11-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thank you for opening bb!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Elite Fan

Ugh, I HATED that they made Santana so incredibly mean and nasty that it seems they're trying to justify Finn outing her. It's NOT ok. Santana was horrible, I'm not going to try and reason that away, because even I disliked it, and I tend to love anything and everything Santana. But Finn basically shouting down the crowded hallway about her sexuality because that was the only shot he could get in at her? Nothing justifies that. Kids getting outed like that are the ones that are hanging themselves in their bedrooms and jumping off bridges. She's terrified to come out, she has been all along. That doesn't make her a coward. That makes her a frightened teenager that lives in the midwest, in a school where she's seen what homophobia looks like first hand because of Kurt's struggles. Finn, more than anyone, being Kurt's brother, should know that. Just ugh, really really contrived writing just to get to a point where the writers wanted to out Santana in the worst way possible. Don't LET her come out on her own terms, instead have the closet door beat down with her clawing to the handle to keep it shut. And all because she's a super bitch. Not cool writers, not cool.

The rest of the episode was kind of a mess too. The Puck/Shelby thing is just strange. And man, they're just doing anything they can to completely ruin anything likable about Quinn. Seriously, just about every character that had focus this episode was so unlikable or had some moment where I was just rolling my eyes in annoyance.

"Naya's my girl." - Heather Morris

|| Naya Rivera and Heather Morris Board Campaigns||Live Journal||Tumblr||
Old 11-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casandra (View Post)
Ugh, I HATED that they made Santana so incredibly mean and nasty that it seems they're trying to justify Finn outing her. It's NOT ok. Santana was horrible, I'm not going to try and reason that away, because even I disliked it, and I tend to love anything and everything Santana. But Finn basically shouting down the crowded hallway about her sexuality because that was the only shot he could get in at her? Nothing justifies that. Kids getting outed like that are the ones that are hanging themselves in their bedrooms and jumping off bridges. She's terrified to come out, she has been all along. That doesn't make her a coward. That makes her a frightened teenager that lives in the midwest, in a school where she's seen what homophobia looks like first hand because of Kurt's struggles. Finn, more than anyone, being Kurt's brother, should know that. Just ugh, really really contrived writing just to get to a point where the writers wanted to out Santana in the worst way possible. Don't LET her come out on her own terms, instead have the closet door beat down with her clawing to the handle to keep it shut. And all because she's a super bitch. Not cool writers, not cool.

The rest of the episode was kind of a mess too. The Puck/Shelby thing is just strange. And man, they're just doing anything they can to completely ruin anything likable about Quinn. Seriously, just about every character that had focus this episode was so unlikable or had some moment where I was just rolling my eyes in annoyance.
Great post Casandra. I wanted someone to call down Santana for her nasty and hateful ways, but not like that. What Flynn did was dead wrong, especially in light of what he's seen Kurt go through. Like you said, he resorted to "outing" her in a cruel and public way because he knew it was the one thing he could really hurt her with.

I also hate what they've done to Quinn this year, and it's so obvious that she's going to find out that Puck is sleeping with Shelby and she'll try and use that to get back Beth. I really hate this storyline.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 11-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

I don't know who I was supposed to side with in this mess, but I was going with "no one". This is probably fairly rare, but one of my good guy friends was later publicly mocked by the girl he lost his virginity to, and it was AWFUL. Every time I think about it, I feel like I did standing there that day, and it's like getting punched in the gut. I really think what Santana was doing to Finn was disgusting, because I've seen it done. So Santana was using his sexuality against Finn, among a whole other host of things she was being unrepentantly horrible about, and then he did it to her, which isn't even close to okay just because she was doing it to him. I also don't think Glee has done a good job of showing this is the root of Santana's nastiness- I've known homophobic bullies who lash out because they're in the closet, and Karofsky was a good example. Santana is not- she seems to simply enjoy being horrible to everyone for any reason she can think of. I don't think she's a coward because she's a closeted lesbian- it ain't that deep with her. She's just not a nice person. So that smackdown, on top of being beyond inappropriate, fell flat because it doesn't even sound like the truth.

Still, Santana was SO awful I ultimately couldn't feel that sorry for her, even if I vehemently disagree with outing someone against their will no matter how much they might suck as a person. I've been the kid who got their ass kicked in dodgeball and subsequently got laughed at, lol. To this day, I don't care about those bullies or their inner pain. On the flip side, I expected to side more with Finn than I did- I know she was being awful, but he could have been the bigger person and instead he sunk to her level. That sucked.

On the bright side, I liked Shelby for the first time around Rachel when she simply signed the letter rather than trying to "mom" her- she owes Rachel this much and hasn't earned anything more. But Puck and Shelby skeeve me out to a massive extent.

Quinn needs professional help. Yesterday, if not sooner.

It doesn't even take half the fingers on one hand to count up the actual likable characters on this show, and neither of them were featured tonight.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Elite Fan

THANK GOD for Naya Rivera/Santanna. This episode was such a snooze minus every scene she was in. Powerful reveals. And a fantastic ending! Nice job, girl! And Rumor Has It/Someone Like You was the ONLY good mash-up, IMO.

Finn deserved that slap SO HARD. I'm sorry, not cool how he outed Santanna in the halls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casandra
just to get to a point where the writers wanted to out Santana in the worst way possible. Don't LET her come out on her own terms, instead have the closet door beat down with her clawing to the handle to keep it shut. And all because she's a super bitch. Not cool writers, not cool.
I AGREE.

I don't even want to touch the whole Puck/Shelby thing. I mean, really?! I could care less about Quinn because she's dealing (or not dealing) with her issues, and that will come to bite her. A reality check is definitely in her future.

Last edited by smoothaise; 11-15-2011 at 09:04 PM
Old 11-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casandra (View Post)

Couldn't have said it any better.
S T A R D U S T
Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Part-Time Fan

:/
Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Part-Time Fan

omg, i couldn't agree more! the way finn outed santana was really low for him to do that. just shout it out loud to a hallway full of students. and yeah santana is no saint but neither is finn no matter how the writers try to make him the "good guy" of the show. i never liked finn but that was the reasurrance i needed to justify my reasons. that just really irked me
Old 11-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Elite Fan

Shelby/Puck SL is dumb.

Santana does nothing but bully people all the time. So I really don't feel bad for her.

Liked Kurt/Rachel making up.

Diana deserves a better storyline.
"Me and you..."
"It's a date."
Old 11-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Finn didn't out her. Like he said the school knows.
I don't think Santana deserved what happened...but she's far from a saint

1. Kurt: Can we deal with the elephant in the room? Santana: Your sexuality?
BEFORE Kurt was out to everyone in the club.

2. Santana blackmailed Karofsky for her own gain by holding his sexuality against him.

I guarantee this will end up with Finn apologizing (which he should) and Santana accepting but never owning up to her bullying and insults. Because in Glee only Finn can be wrong always, whether it's with Kurt and his stalker ways or with Rachel cheating...only Quinn has ever felt remorse for what she did to Finn.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingster (View Post)
I guarantee this will end up with Finn apologizing (which he should) and Santana accepting but never owning up to her bullying and insults. Because in Glee only Finn can be wrong always, whether it's with Kurt and his stalker ways or with Rachel cheating...only Quinn has ever felt remorse for what she did to Finn.
Great comment, Kush, and I completely agree. What Finn did to Santana was completely wrong, but she's never really been held accountable for the mean and hurtful things she does. I actually hate her and Brittany as friends or as a couple, because Brittany on her own is a very sweet person, but she goes along with Santana's mean spirited ways when she's with her.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 11-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Hell, I'm still waiting for Santana to be held accountable for telling Rachel to "go back to Israel", which is one of the nastiest, most hateful insults that's slid by the wayside on this show. Yes, kids kill themselves because they're forcefully outed, and that's AWFUL. I don't hold Finn responsible for the video- he had no possible way of knowing that would happen. I do hold him responsible for running his mouth off in a hallway- even if everyone knows and everyone is talking about it, he still owes that subject some discretion, especially as someone who has a gay brother and a girlfriend with two gay dads. BUT, people also kill themselves over the kind of bullying Santana does. She attacks on race/culture, religion, weight, other appearance flaws, AND sexuality. Kids have killed themselves for less than what Santana has inflicted on others with no remorse. Finn had the slap coming and owes her an apology, but she owes like half the school an apology and until that comes, it's very difficult for me to enjoy her as a character.