4x17 - episode discussion
[B][CENTER]GLEE
Air Date: Thursday, March 21, 2013
Time Slot: 9:00 PM-10:00 PM EST on FOX
Episode Title: (GLE-417) “Guilty Pleasures”

THURSDAY, MARCH 21

—“GLEE” - (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

EVERYONE HAS A SECRET ON AN ALL-NEW “GLEE” THURSDAY, MARCH 21 ON FOX

The members of New Directions tackle their musical indulgences - the songs and groups that everyone is too embarrassed to admit that they love - in the all-new “Guilty Pleasures” episode of GLEE airing Thursday, March 21 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GLE-417) (TV-14 D, L)

Cast: Lea Michele as Rachel Berry; Chris Colfer as Kurt; Kevin McHale as Artie; Jenna Ushkowitz as Tina; Naya Rivera as Santana Lopez; Heather Morris as Brittany; Darren Criss as Blaine Anderson; Chord Overstreet as Sam Evans

Guest Cast: Jacob Artist as Jake Puckerman; Melissa Benoist as Marley Rose; Dean Geyer as Brody Weston; Becca Tobin as Kitty; Alex Newell as Wade Adams; and Blake Jenner as Ryder Lynn.

Based on previous heated debates, we (moderators) have decided to list some guidelines and rules that need to be followed on all episode discussions here.
1. Do not bash any of the cast members or writers. Discussion should be about characters. Substituting an actors name for a character when discussing the character is not okay. They're not the same person. Respectfully critiquing someone's performance or a writer's contribution is fine, however, bashing and being rude about them is not. Offensive nicknames for the writers and cast-members are also not to be used here. This is against Fan Forum policy and is an insult to real people.

2. Feel free to visit the general discussion threads or the previous episode discussion threads here to continue talking about episodes that have already aired.

3. Be respectful to each other, moderators, and to every fandom despite your personal beliefs. Previous episode discussions presented us with problems and we'd like to prevent this from happening. We encourage a good debate, but let's keep it respectful. Personal attacks are not needed, nor allowed here. Targeting another poster on who they support or why their argument is invalid is also unnecessary. Please refer back to Fan Forum's rules regarding this. No matter who you support or ship, we are all fans and people, too.

4. This is a Glee Appreciation board. And as such, it is great to critique, debate and interact respectfully with the fans. But we cannot emphasize enough that calling the show, its cast and crew, etc. 'racist', 'homophobic' or 'sexist' is extremely offensive and will not be tolerated. This board isn't the place for these remarks. Please take it off site or keep it to yourself.
Thank you, everyone!

Happy Hunger Games Glee Discussion!
Old 03-21-2013, 04:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

sorry this took me so long everyone
Old 03-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Moderator of ...
Graphics Team

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED FOR THIS ONE
Old 03-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

every episode needs that much kurcheltana, if not more. saving the episode, once again.

also praise ginger spice kitty becbecbobec.

amelia | icon: mel
Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Is Santana still stuck living with Kurachel?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Dedicated Fan

A Radiohead song is covered. Never thought I would see either a Radiohead or Tegan and Sara song covered let alone within a few weeks of each other. It would be quite something if they went all out esoteric. Imagine "The Ballad of El Goodo" or "If You Want Me To Stay".

The numbers tonight weren't that bad. However the final number was harmed by a cut from NY to ND. What should have stayed a sublime bonding moment between the three roommates was undermined by the editing. Just a poor decision.

The Blaine/Sam subplot was uninvolving and seems designed to force audiences to like Sam more. I will take a pass. Lima continues to be an utter bore. The only exceptions this week were some of the Brittany/Kitty interplay (though still a bit of a letdown) and Jake's dancing. Artist may be a bad actor but he sure can dance.

Brittany calling Sam "baby" was the most nausea inducing moment on TV since Andrea first slept with the Governor on The Walking Dead. Are the show's creators that oblivious about how off-putting that coupling is? That isn't about shipping. There is just something massively off-putting there. It is like watching a sister and brother flirt with each other.

Scenes with Santana continue to blow the rest of the scenes away. In a brave, assured Glee (one not coddling to fans), they would have Santana and Rachel hook up. Those two have off provided off the chart chemistry. Santana also brings out the best in Kurt.

Last edited by Inesal; 03-21-2013 at 11:32 PM
Old 03-22-2013, 01:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
every episode needs that much kurcheltana, if not more. saving the episode, once again.

also praise ginger spice kitty becbecbobec.
this. all of it.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:28 AM
Master Fan

I love everything New York, it is the best part of the show this season. Especially since Santana graced the city. I really enjoyed their scenes and I am happy that Rachel knows about Brody, but again I can do without let's not give Rachel any agency in her own storyline. I wish that would change. I still loved everything NY though and bless Santana and Rachel for their little prank on Kurt, and boyfriend pillows are really creepy to me. Where is the head? Why don't they have heads? I know they're missing their bottom halfs, but I can't ever get one of those because of the creep factor. It was cute though that Kurt got Santana a girlfriend pillow. I love Santana more that her guilty pleasure is The Facts of Life and she ships Jo/Blair. Bless her.
The only part I enjoyed about McKinley was the Kitty/Brittany interaction, because that was actually really cute, and I love Kitty in general.

I didn't really care for Blaine/Sam as usual, their scenes just either aggravate me or bore me to tears. I'm also a bit tiffed with Brittany telling Sam she was proud of him when he admitted his guilty pleasure. Really why couldn't we get that when Santana was outed and decided to face it head on? I'm not going to get into that though, because I don't want to start any arguments, just my 2 cents.

Please no to Chris Brown, just NO. That made me really uncomfortable and I hate they brought him up and I was super offended when Jake mentioned all the other non role models. Sorry Brittany, Rihana and Mariah doesn't compare to abuse. I wish Glee didn't go there.

ICON CREDIT // TUMBLR
Old 03-22-2013, 02:37 AM
Ultimate Fan

It was an ok episode. Nothing really to right home about. But far from Glees worst episode.

Nice for them to finally give Kitty some focus even if it wasnt writte that well. How is Spice Girls even a guilty pleasure? They are like one of the best girl bands EVAH!

I wish we could see more of sarcastic/bitchy Britt. Though girl....dont go from calling Unique, Mercedes (it was funny like 1 time maybe 2) and then having the words racist come out of your mouth.

Sam/Blaine was enjoyable which isnt really that surprising. The NY roomies were even more fun which just comes to show that the writers really need to lay off the romance and focus more on the friendships.

Have to admit that my little guilty pleasure is that I will miss Brody a little bit. I would not mind if he returned. I enjoyed him and Rachel yelling at each other for their lies.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I liked it.

Loved all the guilty pleasures

Finally Brody is gone, a-freaking-men!

The NY scenes were mostly upbeat and funny so I really liked them (shocking )

It was kinda nice to see the kids doing everything just for fun and not because they had to follow Will's or Finn's direction.

Hopefully this will be the end of romantic!Blam or whatever, like seriously, stop messing with the bromance.

And we find out the the roof Brochel has always been Finchel, it was making Finn jealous and filling a void that Brody could never had filled.
I was a bit startled that Rachel thanked Santana but I guess she just liked to know that Finn cared enough about her to come to NY to confront Brody.

The Chris Brown thing was so unnecessary.

I really ended this episode with a smile on my face.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Master Fan

I really liked the episode. It was funny and brought back memories of my childhood. Britney needs more of a storyline that does not include her being that dumb.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:10 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I didn't like the episode a whole lot-- 6/10

-- not a fan of Spice Girls or Bobby Brown
--Tina trying to be Vikki from Small Wonders tv show
-- the whole Brwon/ Rhinna/ argument
-- Rachel/ Brody break up

What I did like
Mamma Mia
Sam/ Blaine scenes
Against All Odds
Old 03-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Moderator of ...
Graphics Team

Everything is Blam/Wham! and nothing hurts.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by breath we drew (View Post)
Please no to Chris Brown, just NO. That made me really uncomfortable and I hate they brought him up and I was super offended when Jake mentioned all the other non role models. Sorry Brittany, Rihana and Mariah doesn't compare to abuse. I wish Glee didn't go there.
I don't think Jake was saying that Britney, Rihanna, etc. were just as bad as someone who has been abusive. He was just saying that these artists have also done bad things, but Glee club still performs their songs regardless of what they have done.

Personally, I thought Jake brought up valid points. He understands that some artists have done bad things, but it doesn't mean you can't enjoy their music still. I have to agree with that, otherwise my ipod would have fewer songs on it for sure.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Personally, I thought Jake brought up valid points. He understands that some artists have done bad things, but it doesn't mean you can't enjoy their music still. I have to agree with that, otherwise my ipod would have fewer songs on it for sure.
Agreed

Hated, just hated Rachel being pleased Finn "came to her rescue"
grow a flippin backbone like you did in 4x04

Quote:
Brittany calling Sam "baby" was the most nausea inducing moment on TV
...a bit of an overreaction much?