Girls (And Boys) On Film
4x15 - episode discussion
[B][CENTER]THURSDAY, JANUARY 31
THURSDAY, MARCH 7
"GLEE" - (9:30-10:30 PM ET/PT)

LIGHTS, CAMERA, GLEE! ON AN ALL-NEW "GLEE" THURSDAY, MARCH 7 ON FOX

FEATURING THE MILESTONE 500th MUSICAL PERFORMANCE

GLEE Airs at a Special Time Tonight!

As everyone recovers from Will and Emma's wedding, the glee club is given the assignment to sing their favorite song from a movie. Meanwhile in New York, Santana makes herself at home in the loft a little too quickly for Rachel and Kurt's comfort. Also, the members of New Directions sing the hit series' landmark 500th musical performance in the all-new "Girls (And Boys) On Film" episode of GLEE airing at a special time Thursday, March 7 (9:30-10:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GLE-415) (TV-14 D, L)

Cast: Matthew Morrison as Will Schuester; Jane Lynch as Sue Sylvester; Lea Michele as Rachel Berry; Cory Monteith as Finn Hudson; Chris Colfer as Kurt; Kevin McHale as Artie; Amber Riley as Mercedes; Mark Salling as Puck; Jenna Ushkowitz as Tina; Naya Rivera as Santana Lopez; Dianna Agron as Quinn; Heather Morris as Brittany; Darren Criss as Blaine Anderson; Chord Overstreet as Sam Evans; and Jayma Mays as Emma Pillsbury.

Guest Cast: Valerie Mahaffey as Rose Pillsbury; Don Most as Rusty Pillsbury; Vanessa Lengies as Sugar Motta; Samuel Larsen as Joe Hart; Jacob Artist as Jake Puckerman; Melissa Benoist as Marley Rose; Dean Geyer as Brody Weston; Becca Tobin as Kitty; Alex Newell as Wade Adams; and Blake Jenner as Ryder Lynn.

Based on previous heated debates, we (moderators) have decided to list some guidelines and rules that need to be followed on all episode discussions here.
1. Do not bash any of the cast members or writers. Discussion should be about characters. Substituting an actors name for a character when discussing the character is not okay. They're not the same person. Respectfully critiquing someone's performance or a writer's contribution is fine, however, bashing and being rude about them is not. Offensive nicknames for the writers and cast-members are also not to be used here. This is against Fan Forum policy and is an insult to real people.

2. Feel free to visit the general discussion threads or the previous episode discussion threads here to continue talking about episodes that have already aired.

3. Be respectful to each other, moderators, and to every fandom despite your personal beliefs. Previous episode discussions presented us with problems and we'd like to prevent this from happening. We encourage a good debate, but let's keep it respectful. Personal attacks are not needed, nor allowed here. Targeting another poster on who they support or why their argument is invalid is also unnecessary. Please refer back to Fan Forum's rules regarding this. No matter who you support or ship, we are all fans and people, too.

4. This is a Glee Appreciation board. And as such, it is great to critique, debate and interact respectfully with the fans. But we cannot emphasize enough that calling the show, its cast and crew, etc. 'racist', 'homophobic' or 'sexist' is extremely offensive and will not be tolerated. This board isn't the place for these remarks. Please take it off site or keep it to yourself.
Thank you, everyone!

Happy Hunger Games Glee Discussion!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Moderator of ...
Graphics Team

And another hiatus survived

Thanks bb
Old 03-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Master Fan

Having trouble containing my excitement. It's gleeday!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

glad it's back!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Where Matt Morrison proves again just how much he's better then everyone else.

Also nice to get some funny Sugar bits

Full version of Footloose was better
Old 03-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

SANTANA LOPEZ. perfect.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Dedicated Fan

That was, to paraphrase Charles Dickens, the best of Glee and the worst of Glee. The potential of what Glee can become if it embraces it's future which is NY and the drudgery that is the refried McKinley antics.

The NY sequences were superb. Hilarious, thoroughly involving, and ultimately touching, they demonstrated the importance of Santana Lopez to Glee's success. One of the most inept decisions of Glee in it's 4th season was the drastic reduction of Santana's screentime (not to mention the misuse of the character). Glee's best decision is to drop Santana into the NY storyline creating a Rachel/Kurt/Santana dynamic that hits on all the right cylinders. The cynical, confrontational mentality of Santana combined with the self-righteous mentality of Kurt combined with the earnest, self-absorbed dreamer mentality of Rachel makes for a triangle of ever-changing dynamics. Kurt and Rachel by themselves as roommates meant conflicts have come with a passive-aggressive tone and cloying resolutions. Santana's presence gives a lot more energy to the young roommates in NY storyline and possibly no scene hints at those ever-changing dynamics that Kurt confiding to Santana that he is on Santana's side when it comes to doubts about Brody.

Santana's invasiveness is ludicrous but yet feels in character. One of Rivera's many strengths is portraying the poor behavior of Santana without winking at the audience. By playing the character without acknowledging the over the top extremes of Santana, Rivera keeps sequences from spiraling into feeling inane. Instead it is as funny as Glee has been this season. While many will discuss the laugh out loud shots of Santana rifling through the property of her roommates (a deliriously campy sequence), her facial reactions to Moulin Rouge and the impersonation of using drugs were Rivera brilliance. Rivera also seems to inspire Colfer and Michele to bring their best. The conclusion is typical of Michele/Rivera scenes - two charismatic actors working brilliantly off of each other. Powerful and beautiful.

I like Adam. There is just something likeable about that transitory character.

As for McKinley, that was a chore to sit through. The Will/Emma sequence has a deja vu feel. At this point the drama between the two feels contrived. The Finn confession fell flat for me (not due to the acting which was pretty good but due to the entirety of that story feeling forced). The Kitty/Marley sequence felt unearned. The love triangle went for drama and induced eye rolling. Do they think watching Marley torn between the two blandest male characters on television is supposed to make an impression. To care about a love triangle is problematic when one of the individuals is an utter bore. This fiasco has to top alltime most boring love triangles on television. Only the catastrophe that is Sam/Brittany keeps this from being the worst storyline on Glee this season.

That horrid Tom Cruise mashup will give me nightmares. But I did like both of Will's numbers. Morrison did very well on both.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

SANTANA LOPEZ IS BETTER THAN UR FAVES GOODBYE

amelia | icon: mel
Old 03-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Santana needs to leave NYC and move to L.A. tbh.. Please go live with Mercedes instead, you need to be with someone awesome and fun and cool and who are all the things you are Now you're stuck in pointless drama where you will play a forced prop. sigh
Old 03-07-2013, 11:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I hope that in the next few episodes Santana gets her own sl with a job or smth.

amelia | icon: mel
Old 03-07-2013, 11:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'd be happy for a scene that didn't include Rachel/Kurt/whoever they are doing/dating atm, that way it might be enjoyable
Old 03-08-2013, 02:51 AM
Loyal Fan

This episode was structurally sound.
Satan, I ,ean Santana was full out evil, which is good because I've been missing that. Still the character is hollow. What is her favorite movie song: Hard-hearted Hannah?
Having lived many years in household where someone hate each other, what follows will not be pleasant. She'll probably chase Kurt out odf the apart,ent and into Adam's (where a conflict about color schemes will break them up) then chase Brody out of the show and seduce Rachel. Finn will marry Rachel then and Santana will have the whole loft. (I don't want to think what she'll do with it.)
Marley has the incredible position of having two adoravle boys after her. she can sing some nice songs about it, but she has to make a choice. Is it possible she'll end season four with her mouth open and expect us to care in the fall? If Jake still had the rough edge he started with it would be the good boy/bad boy choice, but she might as well flip a coin. Also, there's no clear reason why they both want her. Love is not predictable, but I don't see love anywhere in that triangle.
My wife was distracting me throughout the episode, so I'm not sure about things.
The dance Will and Emma started with was imitating a scene from Royal Wedding, but where did the song come from?
Did Artie cross his legs?
Did Rachel give a clue how long she's been pregnant?
Who sang Diamonds Are A girl's Best Friend?
Which song was the 500th?
Why didn't they have some discussion about who Wade sang with? Kurt had to sing with the boys and it pushed him into Blain's arms. Unique/Wade could have sang a duet. I'm sure he could handle Man or Muppet.
I'd love to see Sam recreate two scenes from Casablance. He can do Bogart no doubt, but can he do Ingrid Bergman, then sing like the black pianist? That would show great talent. (Of course if Britney could look and sound like Bergman, that would be great for Heather.)
Artie and Finn are suddenly a great team. Why didn't someone think of that three years ago?
Old 03-08-2013, 03:21 AM
Ultimate Fan

So happy that this wasnt a terrible episode like I thought it would be. Have to say that I enjoyed majority of everything that went on. Though I could care less about the on going love triangle.

I wish we couldve seen Santana and Brody meet though before we get all the hilarousness she brought to us this episode. Would it have been that hard to do some quick flashbacks to them meeting?

And I was rolling my eyes when the glee kids showed up to help Will serenade Emma but I had a nice little laugh when he was doing and it got awkward that they were still standing there and he had to tell them to leave. I would enjoy this Wemma storyline a lot more if we had been able to see Emma more while Shue was gone and see her having all these feelings instead of them rushing through everything within 2 episodes.

Will/Finn is the most devasting break up this show has done.

Glad to see that the NY gang isnt having the time of their lives living together and that Santana can barely stand being in the same room as them for an entire day. Wish we got to see someone be a bitch to her and her smile about it and see the subway incident. And it was an aww moment with Santana holding a crying Rachel in her arms all awkwardly.

Glee would be so much better if they took time out of their day to show us things instead of telling us about them and not always have us cooped up in the choir room/stage/apartment.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow this episode was all over the place.

I enjoyed two things:

- Santana's hate for Brody and Kadam
- the musical numbers

the rest was a snorefest.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
they demonstrated the importance of Santana Lopez to Glee's success.
The first thirteen? (I kid)

Santana didn't hate Adam..she just loves stirring the pot.
Adam's pretty cool actually...they'll ruin him eventually.

Quote:
Artie and Finn are suddenly a great team. Why didn't someone think of that three years ago?
Preach. I've always said the first three should've had more character pairings other than the usual crap

Quote:
Why didn't they have some discussion about who Wade sang with? Kurt had to sing with the boys and it pushed him into Blain's arms. Unique/Wade could have sang a duet. I'm sure he could handle Man or Muppet.
Unique/Wade prefers (lack of a better word) to be a girl...Kurt just preferred to be in the company of girls.
Bit of a difference.