Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Dynamic Duets (4x07) - Episode Discussion

Dynamic Duets
4x07 - episode discussion

IT'S A NEW ERA FOR THE NEW DIRECTIONS ON AN ALL-NEW "GLEE" THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 22 ON FOX

All-New Thanksgiving Night Episode!

A love triangle heats up among Marley, Jake and Ryder, and Blaine has a run-in with the Warblers in the all-new "Dynamic Duets" episode of GLEE airing on Thursday, Nov. 22 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GLE-407) (TV-14 D, L)

Cast: Matthew Morrison as Will Schuester; Jane Lynch as Sue Sylvester; Lea Michele as Rachel Berry; Cory Monteith as Finn Hudson; Chris Colfer as Kurt; Kevin McHale as Artie; Amber Riley as Mercedes; Mark Salling as Puck; Jenna Ushkowitz as Tina; Naya Rivera as Santana Lopez; Dianna Agron as Quinn; Heather Morris as Brittany; Darren Criss as Blaine Anderson; Chord Overstreet as Sam Evans; and Jayma Mays as Emma Pillsbury.

Guest Cast: Dot Jones as Coach Beiste; Vanessa Lengies as Sugar Motta; Lauren Potter as Becky Jackson; Samuel Larsen as Joe Hart; Jacob Artist as Jake Puckerman; Melissa Benoist as Marley Rose; Dean Geyer as Brody Weston; Becca Tobin as Kitty; Iqbal Theba as Principal Figgins; Alex Newell as Wade Adams; Grant Gustin as Sebastian Smythe; and Blake Jenner as Ryder Lynn.

Based on previous heated debates, we (moderators) have decided to list some guidelines and rules that need to be followed on all episode discussions here.

1. Do not bash any of the cast members or writers. Discussion should be about characters. Substituting an actors name for a character when discussing the character is not okay. They're not the same person. Respectfully critiquing someone's performance or a writer's contribution is fine, however, bashing and being rude about them is not. Offensive nicknames for the writers and cast-members are also not to be used here. This is against Fan Forum policy and is an insult to real people.

2. Feel free to visit the general discussion threads or the previous episode discussion threads here to continue talking about episodes that have already aired.

3. Be respectful to each other, moderators, and to every fandom despite your personal beliefs. Previous episode discussions presented us with problems and we'd like to prevent this from happening. We encourage a good debate, but let's keep it respectful. Personal attacks are not needed, nor allowed here. Targeting another poster on who they support or why their argument is invalid is also unnecessary. Please refer back to Fan Forum's rules regarding this. No matter who you support or ship, we are all fans and people, too.

4. This is a Glee Appreciation board. And as such, it is great to critique, debate and interact respectfully with the fans. But we cannot emphasize enough that calling the show, its cast and crew, etc. 'racist', 'homophobic' or 'sexist' is extremely offensive and will not be tolerated. This board isn't the place for these remarks. Please take it off site or keep it to yourself.
Thank you, everyone!

Happy Hunger Games Glee Discussion!
Old 11-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Moderator of ...
Graphics Team

GUYS, IT'S BLEE! SO EXCITED FOR THIS ONE.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

blee
Old 11-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Master Fan

So excited too
Old 11-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Fan

I rather Blaine be a Warbler then a ND though I dont know what is so legendary about his time as a Warbler. They didnt beat ND in S2 and they didnt even beat VD in S1.

Tina has been flawless these past 2 episodes.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

i really liked this episode. didn't miss NYC scenes at all... i just miss Lea.

Finn is perfect.

BLAM.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Loyal Fan

There were a lot of tense moments during this show.
Tina has to really explode one of these weeks. She's expressing her feelings but still getting nowhere.
Finn is a great guy, but when did he discover social engineering?
I like the girl who gave the dyslexia test. I hope we see her again.
So we don't get to see the face of Blaine's hookup? Are they afraid someone might like him?
Are they still in October, before hurricane Sandy? That has to be mentioned.
I wish everyone had revealed their costumes. Was it my imagination or were some of them wearing costumes before Finn gave the theme.
How many hits did Foreigner have. Glee doesn't have to list them all, but for a boy born 10 years after the band peaked to know enough about them takes some explanation. Finn of course has previously revealed a limited knowledge of music, so they almost have to explain how he knows what he does know.
Why did they run a new episode on Thanksgiving night? Has the show fallen so far that this is the only way to win the time slot?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer (View Post)
I rather Blaine be a Warbler then a ND though I dont know what is so legendary about his time as a Warbler. They didnt beat ND in S2 and they didnt even beat VD in S1.

Tina has been flawless these past 2 episodes.

Thisssssss. What's so great about being a Warbler? The Warblers know they suck or else they wouldn't have tried to lure back Blaine or steal a trophy.

And all this Blaine melancholy is snore-inducing. First off, if you aren't so committed to McKinley, don't run for student body president! It's not the school's fault or the Council's fault he couldn't keep it in his pants. He'd be letting down a host of people if he left, including Sam who I did hope would yell at him halfway though the ep. Secondly, ND won without Blaine so it's not that great a loss. In fact, I believe Artie and Sam were showcased more in competition when ND actually won. Third, why is he going back to the Warblers when one of their current members injured his eye? Because it was meant for his ex-boyfriend, "the love of his life"? Finally, why would you up and leave during the week most of the Glee Club is doing your stupid superhero theme, a theme even Finn had to cave to?

It just seemed like a wasted episode to me. The superhero stuff was cute but all the Blaine stuff was, to quote Tina, "a bad Lifetime movie."

Tina's quotes made this episode. This is why I don't want her back with Mike actually. I feel like she's much more empowered and not crying half the time. Like her scolding Finn for casting Santana? I still love Mike Chang but I've noticed the difference.

I thought the other parts of the ep were actually pretty good. I had to laugh at Finn in the sweater vest and with the magic markers, but it was kind of endearing. I did appreciate that the ND kids were kinda dismissive of him but little stuff like that made me smile.

Missed Beiste and Becky....both great cameos. Heck, Joe made me crack a smile. Not sure why they don't let Joe sing. He has a pleasant voice. At least he was used tonight. And good night, I even thought Kitty was decent tonight. I still want to slap her for pushing Marley's ED but the girl can MOVE and she isn't boring.

It was a treat to see Puckerman in L.A. I'd actually like to see the Glee kids in L.A. I'm not sure why they would be there but maybe Mercedes/Puck can be performing before the school year starts?

Ryder's storyline was touching, and I enjoyed seeing how they tested students like him. That said, I expect it to be dropped completely, but it's more layered than Sam's dyslexia.

New Warbler is handsome. Liked the white cat more. I guess cats have replaced birds at Dalton.

The only music numbers I liked were the girls' duo and the last number. Blaine ruined my girl Kelly Clarkson's Dark Side. It sounded like four dudes jamming in the car when it's supposed to be a haunting song, and Blaine couldn't hit the power notes. The whole number with the fight over Marley was just kinda laughable.

This episode made me like Treble Clef, which I'll now affectionately refer to Finn as, until he ticks me or Tina off.

icon
Old 11-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Dedicated Fan

A rather perfunctory episode that seems to be in keeping with what has become a seemingly directionless season. At this point, the going through the motions aspect has become tiresome leaving the viewer with a series of false feeling connections. There seems to be a lack of clarity on how to use the returning seniors and a stubborn resolve to overlook the staggering flaws in the new kids (the acting by both of the two new men is wooden at best). If in NY, there is a sense of possibility, at McKinley there is a sense of writing by committee.

The greatest mistake writers can make is assuming that beauty is enough to make connections work. Such appreciation does work for some. There will be those who root for Jake/Marley over Ryder/Marley and vice versa. But those seeking out chemistry that is deeper than good looks will yawn. There is nothing there. Just nothing.

I am starting to pin this on the two men. Marley showed some spark with Unique recently. And tonight the scenes between Marley and her cruel antagonist Kitty had a sexual spark that was intriguing. It may not be meant but it is there. It is there between Sam and Blaine too.

Now I am not saying that all straight identified characters on the show would be far more intriguing in a same sex romance. While it would be fascinating to see Kitty confess to being mean to Marley out of a self-loathing over her attraction to her or Sam tell Blaine that while he has always liked women there is something about Blaine that makes Sam want him, I don't see the show going there (even though it would be compelling). What I am saying is that Glee needs to stop forcing this chemistry free love triangle and look for romantic angles where one would care about Marley's love of someone else. As for Jake and Ryder, both can transfer out of the school right? Bring on male characters that have some personality. That make us care.

As for Finn, while him running the Glee club is as contrived as it gets, he is actually watchable here. Even the Finn worshiping scenes I have grown tired of were tonight replaced by a scene where gifting Finn was about helping his self-esteem. He is still a rather dull character but this storyline could be worse.

As for the numbers, Kitty/Marley steal the show with their unintentional chemistry.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Part-Time Fan

I’m going to get this out of the way now.

Costuming Tina as Asian Persuasion was extremely racist.

I’m willing to take any punishment deemed appropriate by the mods, but it has to be said and it is so blatant that I am unwilling to make a creative euphemism for it. That is all.

On to the rest:

Dear Glee writers, it doesn't count as addressing something just because you go all meta and reference it in the show but then do nothing tangible about it. It’s so annoying that Tina is constantly shuffled off like her feelings and opinions don’t matter when other characters get a pep talk and a special support song nearly every week. I’m starting to think/hope they have a plan for Tina and this is building up to something. We’ll see. She’s essentially the Mercedes of S4, she even got a glory note in that last group number. Let’s just hope they don’t portray her as selfish/lazy/whatever. When Finn said, “Tina, not now” to her legitimate complaint it was infuriating. She didn’t make a huge deal about it with the rush of the show, but it was reasonable for her to want to discuss such a egregious treatment afterward. Jeez.

Aside from brushing off Tina again, Finn was once again pretty good this week. When he came in wearing that vest, I laughed so hard. It’s also still dubious as to why he is allowed in the teachers’ lounge and is at the school the entire day, but it’s Glee so... Anyway, I’m glad that he reached out to Coach Bieste because she will be a great role model for him on his journey. She is the best example of selfless guidance on Glee and if Finn becomes anything like her, he’ll be awesome.

I honestly don’t know what is going on with Kitty and her thing with Marley. There was a part in the middle where I thought she was being awesome but then it went to hell. Kitty says awful things but will still hug Marley while singing and give her pep talks? I’m starting to suspect this is some massive queer baiting and trying to make a psuedo-Faberry. I’m not buying it. (When Kitty did that split though, it still went straight to my lady parts)

What I feel about this episode is generally what I feel about this season. Glee is apparently trying to address some of its mistakes through the new characters. While I’m trying to appreciate this in a “better late than never” type of way, I predict a lot of fans will be bitter. For example:
  • Where was the Special Ed teacher and IEP when Brittany was a senior the first time, or even when she went to Emma a few episodes ago?
  • We’re finally acknowledging race as more than a joke with Jake, but completely ignored it with Mercedes and Santana to a smaller extent.
  • Blaine has depression and people care. Quinn, seasons 1-3 anybody?
  • I’m going to be more supportive of the Marley ED story since it appears to be taken seriously, but the fact remains it was a running joke for 3 seasons.

Other notes:
  • From now on I will be calling Ryder new!Sam instead of new!Finn. It fits better personality wise.
  • I thought the Warblers didn’t have a captain? What happened to the council?
  • I hope Puck sent that picture of the vomit covered Streisand star straight to Rachel. That would be hilarious.
  • Was that random graffiti, or did the Warblers to that?
  • I’m about one second away from shipping Blaine and Sam
  • Can't remember if we're allowed to discuss promos but my Quinntana feelings are hurting me right now
Old 11-23-2012, 12:47 AM
Master Fan

Are you kidding me with this episode? Seriously first of all I couldn't care less about the Blaine cheating storyline. Am I supposed to feel bad? Why can't we focus on how Kurt is feeling about this? I mean for real we had to hear Blaine whine and bitch last season because Kurt was texting/cheating or whatever, he even got a song, cause he's Blaine. So now that it's Blaine cheating we're supposed to feel bad and side with him? I hope Kurt never goes back to him.

I like Kitty because I find her funny because it's almost like s1 Sue but this whole leading stupid Marley into an eating disorder is too much and offensive. First of all why are they making Marley so stupid to follow Kitty around and do as she says like this? Second if Glee is going to handle such a topic as eating disorders they need to do it in a sensitive manner, fine give Marley body images if you must but handle it sensitively not into her being stupid and being manipulated but some girl who is only pretending to be her friend to destory her. But who am I kidding this is the exact show that had the privileged white boy being a hero for outing a lesbian WOC, I expect nothing from Glee. NOTHING.

Also not to mention how offensive the whole song choices are as a whole when you look at it. Boys sing about how they're heroes and girls sing about how they need a hero. Typical Glee with a girl always needing penis to set her straight. Can this show stop?

Though Kitty and Marley's number was actually my favorite of the night, I had to mute everything Blarren.

I want to know how Kurt and Rachel are doing though. It's sad Kurt is the one who got cheated on and it should be his storyline but instead it's all focused on Blaine and we get like 2 seconds of Kurt. What did Chris do to piss of Ryan? At least he and Dianna can talk about how Ryan is a toolbag now.

OMFG can this Finn is a "hero" crap stop already? We get it! Finn is a basic white boy so therefore we must worship at his feet. Also what is with being Schue 2.0? The board, the clothes the creepy dolls as students. STOP! Are you kidding me with this episode? Seriously first of all I couldn't care less about the Blaine cheating storyline. Am I supposed to feel bad? Why can't we focus on how Kurt is feeling about this? I mean for real we had to hear Blaine whine and bitch last season because Kurt was texting/cheating or whatever, he even got a song, cause he's Blaine. So now that it's Blaine cheating we're supposed to feel bad and side with him? I hope Kurt never goes back to him.

I like Kitty because I find her funny because it's almost like s1 Sue but this whole leading stupid Marley into an eating disorder is too much and offensive. First of all why are they making Marley so stupid to follow Kitty around and do as she says like this? Second if Glee is going to handle such a topic as eating disorders they need to do it in a sensitive manner, fine give Marley body images if you must but handle it sensitively not into her being stupid and being manipulated but some girl who is only pretending to be her friend to destory her. But who am I kidding this is the exact show that had the privileged white boy being a hero for outing a lesbian WOC, I expect nothing from Glee. NOTHING.

Also not to mention how offensive the whole song choices are as a whole when you look at it. Boys sing about how they're heroes and girls sing about how they need a hero. Typical Glee with a girl always needing penis to set her straight. Can this show stop?

Though Kitty and Marley's number was actually my favorite of the night, I had to mute everything Blarren.

I want to know how Kurt and Rachel are doing though. It's sad Kurt is the one who got cheated on and it should be his storyline but instead it's all focused on Blaine and we get like 2 seconds of Kurt. What did Chris do to piss of Ryan? At least he and Dianna can talk about how Ryan is a toolbag now.

OMFG can this Finn is a "hero" crap stop already? We get it! Finn is a basic white boy so therefore we must worship at his feet. Also what is with being Schue 2.0? The board, the clothes the creepy dolls as students. STOP!

Tina was the best part of this episode tonight though calling out the Finn and Blaine crap. My favorite was her calling Blaine's drama a bad Lifetme movie. I need her like this all the time,

ICON CREDIT // TUMBLR
Old 11-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Ultimate Fan

Bring on the Quinntana slaps next episode! I hope they take up majority of the episode.

Ya I dont know why they made Tina the Asian Persuasion when the girl dont even care about being Asian, that is Mikes thing. But that is all they want to acknowledge her for. Though this is also the same show where being blonde means you are either stupid or a bitch so..

Marley/Kitty had the best performance and song, I havent bothered with that many songs this season but this one will be going on my ipod.

I could care less about this new love triangle since I dont really get what either see in Marley, but that girl is so delusional it aint even funny.

Not a big fan of everyone being behind Finn being their new coach now and following his thoughts, if he is the mastermind behind Gunghim Style next week for sectionals, I hope ND loses because it is a fun song to dance to, but for a competition? I would subtract so many points it aint even funny.

They actually used Puck wisely this episode. It felt natural and not so weird like his first meeting with Jake. I wish we could see some of Mercedes everyday life this way.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:03 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakenbake (View Post)
I honestly don’t know what is going on with Kitty and her thing with Marley. There was a part in the middle where I thought she was being awesome but then it went to hell. Kitty says awful things but will still hug Marley while singing and give her pep talks? I’m starting to suspect this is some massive queer baiting and trying to make a psuedo-Faberry. I’m not buying it. (When Kitty did that split though, it still went straight to my lady parts)
Concerning Marley and Kitty there are two possible options.

A) Kitty is pretending to care about Marley in an attempt to sabotage her because she wants to get back at Marley out of jealousy over Marley's popularity with the boys.
B) Kitty is pretending to care about Marley in an attempt to sabotage her because she is angered by the feelings toward her.

Kitty could end up being the female Karofsky and the female Kurt in one. Bullying the person they are attracted to as Karofsky did to Kurt and having an unrequited crush on someone who is attracted to a different gender like Kurt had with Finn. Or it could just be that Kitty's chemistry with Marley is very strong because all one has to compare it to is Ryder/Marley and Jake/Marley.

Anyways, I am thinking they will go with option B and it will be unrequited.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:52 AM
Ultimate Fan

It was obvious imo that Kitty is just manipulating marley since the nice girl is getting everything that Kitty wanted. She took Jake from her, she took the role of Sandy from her, so she is going to take Marley down. And whats the best way to do it? With kindness.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:27 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer (View Post)
It was obvious imo that Kitty is just manipulating marley since the nice girl is getting everything that Kitty wanted. She took Jake from her, she took the role of Sandy from her, so she is going to take Marley down. And whats the best way to do it? With kindness.
I think that Kitty is manipulating Marley is a given. And I think that Jake choosing Marley and that the role of Sandy went to Marley would play into that. However the physicality displayed hints at something possibly deeper.* Or as Quakenbake touches on it could be just teasing a sexual chemistry in an attempt to promote the slash akin to Quinn/Rachel. While we all know Quinn and Rachel never became romantic text on the show, Quinn and Rachel also never really became romantic subtext on the show. It was Santana and Brittany who ended up filling both of those shoes. So any subtext or furthermore romantic text between Kitty and Marley would not be a continuation of Faberry 2.0 as much as a variation on the head cheerleader vs. the outcast.

I think the humanization of Kitty ultimately will come through her relationship with Marley. Whether that turns out to be due to an unrequited crush remains to be seen. And certainly some could see that as refried. After all, we have seen Karofsky confess to feelings for Kurt and Santana confess to feelings for Brittany. However Kitty's religious beliefs inspiring self-loathing would be a new angle for the show. I tend not see physicality on such shows as arbitrary (which is why I still believe the show is setting up a Sam/Brittany romance - Brittany touched him again tonight taking his hands off his eyes) because usually it isn't.

A problem would be handling this well. Degrassi currently has the deeply religious girl falling in love with a transgendered FTM and it has been wonderfully handled. Glee does not always excel in these areas.

*On the note of teasing or something real down the line, Kitty's repeated holding up of two fingers to illustrate vomiting certainly is reminiscent of another physical activity. Considering RIB's tendency for vulgar winks (the gag reflex line; Brittany's response to Artie saying Santana was manipulating her, etc.) I wouldn't put it past them for there to be one here.

Last edited by Inesal; 11-23-2012 at 02:52 AM