Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Master Fan

The Real World (1992-1999): Because It Began Reality Tv.

The Real World: 1992-1999

The Real World is a reality television program on MTV originally produced by Mary-Ellis Bunim and Jonathan Murray. First broadcast in 1992, the show is the longest-running program in MTV history

New York (1992)

In 1992, The Real World spawned a new genre of television with its fresh documentary/soap opera formula. Seven diverse young people from all over the country moved into a New York apartment in the SoHo neighborhood of Manhattan. All seven pursued their own dreams in the big city--a model, a dancer, a writer, a rapper, a rock singer, an artist, and a singer--we witnessed their triumphs and failures. A possible romance developed between two of the roommate Eric and Julie, the lone gay castmember, Norman embarks on a serious relationship, and racial tensions heat up between Kevin and the roomies.
Los Angeles (1993)

The Real World heads to Los Angeles for its second season, finding itself with nine cast members over the course of the season. There's major drama as one cast member travels home to Ireland, one gets married, and one is asked to leave. As relationships and tensions develop, The Real World expands to 22 episodes in its second season and the cameras capture every moment.
San Francisco (1993)

The Real World San Francisco is one of the most recognizable seasons--it was put in the national spotlight because of the role AIDS/HIV played for Pedro during the season. For the first time, the majority of the cast members come from places other than the city in which they live. With four out of the seven members from outside the Bay Area, finding jobs becomes a major task for the housemates. Romance is also a huge issue throughout the season, resulting in engagements for two of the seven strangers. And of course, who could forget that lovable (or not-so-lovable) Puck, who gets tossed out of the house.
London (1994)

In 1994, The Real World headed abroad for the first time to London. Cast members hailed from the United States, Germany, Australia and England; their diverse backgrounds made for heated interaction in the house, as they all faced cultural differences, searched for romance and jobs and tried to adjust to living in a foreign city. As if that weren't enough, the roomies also took an eye-opening trip to Africa.

Miami (1995/96)

The Real World spun on a new axis in 1996 when the seven strangers picked to live in a spectacular waterfront house in South Beach attempted to start a business together. Ideas ran the gamut from a cyber punk coffee shop to a skate park to their very own fashion line. But with the myriad temptations available in Miami, the business became just one of the season's dramas emanating from the house on Rivo Alto Island. Flora juggled two boyfriends, Dan embarked on a modeling career, and of course, the infamous "shower scene."
Boston (1997)

The Real World Boston cast lived in a converted historic firehouse, where their different backgrounds and relationships laid the foundation for all that happens. Unlike previous seasons, this cast spends a large amount of time with children in the first NSACA Pilot Accredited after school program in East Boston. How the cast deals with what starts out as a tedious job but turns into a rewarding experience is one of the season's major stories. The cast also travels to Puerto Rico for the first ever Real World/Road Rules Challenge. But there's plenty of Boston-based drama, including a forbidden romance between Syrus and a mother from the program, Genesis' relationship with a drag queen, and Montanta getting fired after allowing the kids to drink wine.
Seattle (1998)

Set on Pier 70 of Seattle's Elliott Bay, this Real World season featured--for the first time--cast members who knew each other before arriving at the house (David and Nathan). To give the show a new music twist, the seven strangers worked as "modulators" at alterna-rock radio station, 107.7 The End. What begins as a series of promotional duties eventually leads to producing and hosting a live radio show. The gang has to deal with major issues including the perils of long-distance relationships, Lyme Disease and suicide. Later in the season, the cast members traveled to Nepal in support of their various radio station duties. And who can forget David's forbidden romance with a Real World casting director and Stephen's goodbye slap for Irene?

Hawaii (1999)

Set amidst the beautiful beaches of Honolulu, this season provided many firsts for The Real World. Echoing the aloha spirit pervasive on the island, the seven strangers ran their own cafe and performance space in Waikiki. Booking local music acts, the cast set up its own production company, appropriately called Seven Strangers Productions. Back at the plantation-style beachfront home they shared, Colin and Amaya became intimately involved--the first time for two roommates to enter into a serious romance on the show. Later in the season, the cast is forced to deal with Ruthie's alcohol abuse--asking her to seek treatment or move out of the house. And for the first time, the cast gets to choose anywhere in the world for the annual Real World vacation. India, anyone?

Roomies:
1. Ruby_Slippers
2. LucyHyde
3. JamieScott
4. playgroundDiaries
5. SunKissedFan
6. LucyHyde
7. - Nina -
8. Enigma
9. PiCkLeS4dAwSoN

-- Matt Czuchry

Last edited by Ruby_Slippers; 07-06-2009 at 06:17 PM
Ruby_Slippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Master Fan

Seattle! Seattle!!

Add me pweeeese
Old 07-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Elite Fan

Fantastic starts! I love it! Thank you! Add me?
Old 07-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Master Fan

Added!

Seattle was a great season. One of my faves!

-- Matt Czuchry
Old 07-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Elite Fan

Add me. I've seen all the 90's seasons.

bh90210 • now + forever
{icon: kimcullen@LJ}
playgroundDiaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Master Fan

Added Mel!

The show was the best during the 90's!

-- Matt Czuchry
Old 07-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Total Fan

I would love to be added! The best seasons right here. Except, Back to New yourk is up there too... it just missed the cut!
Love is a poor man's food

it's you that i'm thinking of
SunKissedFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Master Fan

Thankies!! Yeah, Seattle David (down in front with the brown leather jacket for those looking at the pic) was by far my fave
Old 07-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Master Fan

Added!

BTNY was pretty good but nothing can top the 1st New York, it will always be my fave. Followed by San Francisco, Boston, and Seattle.

-- Matt Czuchry
Old 07-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Elite Fan

Add me!! Still my favorite Reality Show!

- Nina - is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Master Fan

Added!

-- Matt Czuchry
Old 07-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Total Fan

Not including BTNY I loved Hawaii, Boston, and Seattle
Love is a poor man's food

it's you that i'm thinking of
SunKissedFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Master Fan

I think Hawaii was the start of the end...but still good none the less.

-- Matt Czuchry
Old 07-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, I agree with that
Old 07-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Fan Forum Star

These were the GOOD Real World seasons. New Orleans (2000) was pretty decent too. The show hasn't been the same since. I don't know what happened but I didn't like any of the recent Real World seasons. Hate is not a strong enough word. The people are just unlikable and the show less 'real'.
Street Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread