Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Added!

I don't think another sitcom could beat this one out.

April
Old 04-18-2011, 03:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

I agree. Except maybe Frasier...but Friends.....I don't think I'll ever tire of watching it.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Nothing will ever beat Friends for me

Old 04-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Banned

THIS SHOW SAVED TV THEME SONGS! I remember in August 1994, a month before Friends premiered reading a newspaper article where a stupid network TV executive(from NBC) said he wanted to get rid of opening titles scenes of shows. How they were passe and that it gave viewers an excuse to change the channel. He cited LA Law as an example of a show that had long opening credits and was just cancelled and that Seinfeld and Frasier had none and they were successful. He said there weren't any popular TV themes anymore and people wouldn't miss them. Okay there might not have been any memorable ones at the time but there was still a few like [1]Beverly Hills 90210[/i] that are classics today.

This boneheaded exec didn't seem to realize maybe it's not the long opening credits that was the problem but getting better shows! The opening credits are one of the most memorable things about a TV show! You'd hear a particular them of a favorite show and get a feeling o anticipation and excitement. Anyway we were on our way to no more TV theme songs that everyone knows the words like "The Brady Bunch" or great instrumentals like "Hawaii Five O". Then Friends came along with that fun and memorable titles with the cast dancing in a fountain and that great theme by The Rembrandts "I'll Be There For You"! The show was an instant hit and one of the reasons was that theme. It was a fun, energetic song with lyrics so appropriate to the show and it got you in the mood it right away. They released it on the radio and it topped the Billboard charts for eight weeks! A year later I read another article where the same executive changed his mind and said that they were still going to make opening titles to programs. Nowadays it's popular to hate the song. People put in on their "Worst Songs Ever" lists but this song singlehandedly saved TV theme songs.

In honor of it, here's the video with the Friends cast in a set styled after one in A Hard Day's Night:

Last edited by Fastbak; 04-20-2011 at 03:31 PM
Old 04-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I love Friends theme song. I'm actually disappointed that a lot of shows today they don't have one or really opening credits.

April
Old 04-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

I loved the theme song too One of my favourites!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I didn't even realized we were post 300 posts.

http://www.fanforum.com/f324/friends.../#post55260596

April
Closed Thread   Post New Thread