Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Supreme Fan

Vanessa Abrams #5: Working for CNN in Haiti... our girl has more important things to do!

Welcome to the 5th Vanessa Abrams thread!!!

by Blackened Sky
BrooklynFilm MakerIndependentConflicted

FANS:
01. Kiss of Death
02. Evil Poptart
03. SunKissedFan
04. cbluv
05. theresadawn
06. AlexParisGGfan
07. bellagrey13
08. mesmerized
09. *CopperBoom*
10. izzyjayne
11. Giuly
12. SolveMyMystery
13. FenixxB
14. breakingdawn_
15. SandELforever
16. Lennie1984
17. eNVyLove
18. snatches of sunshine
19. zccajj
20. xlennie
21. Eternal Flame
22. gizzie_fan
23. V-Nessa
24. fix the puzzle
25. {Melody}
26. SergeantPepper
27. starryeyed15
28. mylu

PIC OF THE MOMENT
Old 05-21-2010, 01:37 AM
Elite Fan

TFNT!
hm.,... new pic of the moment perhaps?
Old 05-21-2010, 03:41 AM
Supreme Fan

I was too lazy to look for one lol... any suggestions?
Old 05-21-2010, 03:52 AM
Elite Fan

i have no idea. one from one of her last scenes i guess... just not sure.

which reminds me..im way behind on my caps.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:39 AM
Loyal Fan

Just bringing this over:

Quote:

Question: Was Vanessa’s absence in these final Gossip Girl episodes a creative decision or a contractual issue with Jessica Szohr? —Jessica
Ausiello: E.P. Stephanie Savage says it was the former. “The big story at the end of the season was the [William] story, and we wanted Dan to be available to really be in that story with everyone else,” she explains. “And it felt like it was nicer to give Dan and Vanessa their own ending to their story rather than try and thread that through that [Williams] story.”

Wondering what this means for Jessica - with regards to her role in GG. Her storylines have always been connected with the Humphreys or NYU.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-21-2010, 06:54 AM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Couples

TFTNT! Great title.

Honest thoughts? I'm going to kill Josh&Co.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Any thoughts?
I think most of us had our rants about this in the S&S thread.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Elite Fan

i think it simply means the writers knew they couldn't bring up the DS crap while V was in the picture and they were too lazy to find some other way to go about it and since Jess has what seems to be the .... contract to get away with her absence they went for it.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Loyal Fan

It'll be interesting to see how they utilize Vanessa in S4 - Georgina's back, so I'm wondering if perhaps there will be more of a storyline around her and Dan, hence a lack of Vanessa
Old 05-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
“And it felt like it was nicer to give Dan and Vanessa their own ending to their story rather than try and thread that through that [Williams] story.”
This line kills me! What ending!?! They DIDN'T break up face to face! The gave us a lame via text/email break up.

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how they utilize Vanessa in S4
I really hope they utilize her.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Master Fan

I think I've only posted on this board a few times in the Jessica and Ed thread but I thought I would share some thoughts I had on Vanessa's potential future story (with Dan) that came to me a few days ago on the S&S thread:

In the finale, Dan seemed very focused on this idea that dating someone you know well (such as Vanessa) is difficult. Part of his attraction to Serena right now may be the perception (the wrong perception IMO) that being with her will be easier. Serena doesn't challenge him in the ways Vanessa does. She isn't a fellow artist that he has to compete with. Until this season with Nate, Serena was kind of a pushover in many respects (she swallowed alot of crap from people - probably because she felt guilty for all the stuff she did as Bad Serena). Vanessa isn't a pushover. She doesn't take anything off Dan. But I think the thing that really made DV's relationship "difficult" was DV's similarities: They're both artists and intellectuals that over think things. OMG those zones, maps, boundaries that Dan would come up with. They were always imposing these rules on their relationship: What can we talk about, what can we not talk about, where is the friends zones, where is the friends with benefits zone,etc. It was NUTS. They also put enormous pressure on themselves: Comparing themselves to Sartre and De Bouvier and talking about how their relationship would push them full throttle into marriage while the rest of their peer group was getting their first STDs. So Dan and Vanessa MADE their relationship difficult and I think Dan is just tired. He wants something easy. Talking with Serena that night (in 3x21) felt very comfortable and easy for him. So maybe now he's romanticizing their past to a degree (IMO) and thinks it'll be easier with Serena than it was with Vanessa.
It's POSSIBLE that the writers have thrown this Dangina baby in the mix to teach Dan that sometimes easy isn't better. Even though I'm sure this kid won't be Dan's (because lord forbid the show ever give anyone other than Chuck a major OMFG character destroying storyline - sorry, bitter Chuck fan rant ) I'm sure Dan will bond with it and maybe even take responsibility for it (possibly influenced by Serena's issues with her dad). I'm not a mom, but every parent I know says it's the most difficult and challenging thing they've ever done. But it's also the most rewarding. So one of my specs is that the Baby Dangina storyline actually brings Dan back to Vanessa in the end.

RE: Georgina pushing Vanessa out.

Pfft. Please. Georgina is no Serena. If anyone is a potential threat to Vanessa's screentime it's Serena. NOT Georgina who is at best a comic relief character. I wouldn't be shocked if she totally abadons the kid and Dan has to care for it on his own.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:53 PM
Elite Fan

While i think your point is valid tversky, and trust me i've thought the same thing before, i just have absolutely no faith in these writers anymore. I feel like it's simply giving them too much credit for there sls. Until i see otherwise i'll just believe that the last two eps was a way for them to retcon and bring back DS for reasons they'll have to explain to me. At this point i've kinda soured on all of V's relationships because it's pretty clear she's a placeholder.

On the other hand, i had cause to go through some of the earlier eps of s3, and it was pretty clear they were doing a better job of integrating Vanessa and even Dan in storylines. I feel it was very very intentional that DV became rather isolated after the hiatus. Esp Vanessa. At a point it seemed like the only person she spoke to was Dan. Frankly i dont get it.

Montana, Vanessa was heavily involved in G's last storyline. I dont see why she couldn't be involved in this one.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Supreme Fan

Great analysis tversky. I agree completely with what you wrote. I totally believe that Dan is romanticizing his past with Serena somewhat. If they start up again... it will be far from easy.

Quote:
So Dan and Vanessa MADE their relationship difficult and I think Dan is just tired.
Yes! It's interesting that Dan was the one that had the most problems with the relationship... a relationship that he pushed for initially. As you mentioned, Vanessa challenges him in a way that no other girl has. Maybe it's a good thing that they broke things off for now, though I would've liked for them to reach that conclusion without Serena thrown into the mix at the last minute.

Now the only problem is that we put more thought into DV and just Vanessa in general than the writers do. Sad, but I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Master Fan

Well, I don't blame you for having no faith in the writers Onyeka. I was just offering some spec that I thought the Vanessa fans might want to think about.

I find the way DS were reintroduced very odd if the intention is to simply have DS together next season. They had one episode of build (which IMO ties back directly to some foreshadowing that Dan gave Nate in 3x13 about being in a relationship with Serena. So it was actually still about NS's relationship issues) and nothing else indicating latent romantic feelings between them. No foreshadowing of what would happen AT ALL. And this show is AWESOME at foreshadowing (plot holes galore but they give lots of hints of the direction they plan to go). The writers don't just change in mid-course. This stuff is planned out for a long time. CB's storyline DEFINITELY was planned from the premiere (there was foreshadowing of the creepy CJ hookup from the freakin' premiere with Jenny whining about sleeping under Chuck's dirty girl scout painting.) So the point is, there may be a triangle, or a lovesquare but I seriously doubt the writers just decided one day to abandon DV/NS in the middle of Season 3 for DS. It just doesn't work that way. The broad outlines for the season are set. There is only so much they can change, even during the hiatus.

Personally, I have no clue what SS is planning to do on the VDSN front. (I can speculate how Dan's Daddy storyline ties in with DS just as easily as it ties in with DV). But I don't think the build up and attention given to NS and DV was for nothing. Both couples went as far as to say "I love you." That's a huge deal. DV and NS are NOT the same as Aaron/Serena or Olivia/Dan. They're far more important pairings than that. Moreover, I don't think Vanessa is going ANYWHERE. I don't know if she'll be back in the Premiere but I seriously doubt she's gone as long as Jenny will be.

ETA:
Quote:
Yes! It's interesting that Dan was the one that had the most problems with the relationship... a relationship that he pushed for initially. As you mentioned, Vanessa challenges him in a way that no other girl has. Maybe it's a good thing that they broke things off for now, though I would've liked for them to reach that conclusion without Serena thrown into the mix at the last minute.
I think the writers did a really good job digging into and exposing all the couples issues this season. DV's were the most realistic. NS's were the most subtle. CB's were the most operatic and OTT. The writers justified ALL these breakups IMO. I honestly think we don't give them enough credit when it comes to this stuff. All the couples have been broken up and all have issues to work out before they can be together again. Dan, Serena and Chuck are the most at fault in the demise of their respective relationships, but I think you can make the argument that Vanessa and Blair also have issues they need to work on. (Nate is a little tougher to get a hold of. I'll have to think about it at bit.)

Last edited by tversky; 05-25-2010 at 12:30 AM
Old 05-25-2010, 12:26 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
a relationship that he pushed for initially
if it had been the other way roundmaybe the finale would have made sense. but it wasn't. so Dan just looks like a flake.

Quote:
Now the only problem is that we put more thought into DV and just Vanessa in general than the writers do. Sad, but I don't see that changing anytime soon.
such is life.

I don't get it.. if they werer trying to give DV issues. G wpuld have been more than enough. WE had even predicted it earlier in the season. Serena on the other hand...