Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2021, 12:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sean Murray/Timothy McGee #8: Because we love our McTeethy

Welcome to the 8th
Timothy McGee/Sean Murray
Appreciation Thread!

x
Special Agent Timothy McGee, or Tim as he's more commonly called, is played by Sean Murray. He has been a part of the show for most of the show with his first appearance being in "Sub Rosa" (1x07), after which he made another seven appearances before officially joining the team at the start of season two. In the beginning he was a recent MIT graduate, and NCIS Agent assigned to the Norfolk Naval Base. After joining the MCRT in Washington D.C. he became the Probationary Agent on the team, and often would be given uncomfortable tasks and teased by his fellow agents.

Although over time McGee grew as an agent and slowly became a skilled investigator, he would always remain "Probie" to Tony. Tony also had a large variety of McNames ready for every situation. One common ones used are McGeek and Elf Lord due to his expertise in computers and love for geeky things like playing video games. Once Tony retires, McGee became the Senior Field Agent on the team and Gibbs' second-in-command.

McGee is a born and raised Navy Brat who moved around a lot as a child; with his father being a Navy Admiral. He has a younger sister who wishes to be an author, and a loving grandmother who was a former piece activist (and possible communist). As a child McGee dreamed of being a writer and a tap dancer, something which his father disapproved of, believing it to be a pipe-dream and wishing for him to join the Navy like him so he could become a man. Instead of joining the Navy (or becoming a tap dancer), McGee joins NCIS which McGee feels still disappoints his father. Due to this McGee didn't speak to his father for years, but eventually the pair reconnected shortly before Admiral McGee passed away. Although his father was hard on him, he clearly loved him and wanted the best for him; and also revealed that he too had wanted to be a tap dancer when he was younger before he had 'become a man' by joining the Navy.

Even as a teenager McGee knew his way around a computer; hacking into the phone company to find a way to make long-distance-calls for free (to call his father when he was away) and writing a virus which would target the Department of Defense. After graduating from high school he attended John Hopkins University and MIT where he graduated with a B.S. in Bio-Medical Engineering and a M.S. in Computer Forensics. At NCIS McGee often uses these skills to support the team in solving cases, and help the Forensic Scientists Abby and Kasie. During his time at NCIS McGee has hacked numerous places, including other Federal Agencies. Despite joining NCIS, McGee didn't give up on his writing dreams; he as written two best selling crime novels under the pseudo name Thom E. Gemcity. Although he denies this, McGee novels feature everyone from the team, but with their names altered. These stories have gotten him into trouble with a crazy fan kidnapping Abby, believing her to want to hurt the McGee-based character: McGregor.

Over the years McGee has had a number of failed romances, along with women tricking him, until he eventually met Intelligence Analyst, Delilah Fielding. The pair have been together since early 2013; marrying in early 2017 (14x23 "Something Blue"), and welcoming twins in late 2017 (15x09 "Ready or Not") after discovering that they were expecting shortly before their wedding. The twins are named John "Johnny" McGee (after McGee's father) and Morgan McGee (after a security guard who died in the line of duty during a hold-up at the hospital when the twins were born).

"I pulled this bad boy out of the mothballs last
week, see if I could get the twins started on
computer science early." (16x14)

Sean Harland Murray plays Timothy McGee on NCIS. He was born on November 15, 1977 in Bethesda, Maryland, USA. Much like the character he plays, Sean was a born and bred Navy Brat. As a child his family moved around every two-three years; Sean living in the United States, Singapore, Australia, and England all before the age of 8. At the age of 10 he got to go on a 'tiger-cruise' with his father, seeing what it was like onboard a Navy aircraft carrier. While there he wandered into the war room by accident where they had to page his father to come and get him out. His parents divorced when Sean was 15 and he moved to L.A. with his mother, Vivienne. She would later marry Donald P. Bellisario, creator of NCIS, in 1998 when Sean was 21. Vivienne is of Australian decent and holds a dual citizenship between American and Australia; it is believed that Sean also holds this or has in the past. Sean has one brother, Chad W. Murray (produced of NCIS: Los Angeles), and seven step-siblings through his mother's marriage to Donald. His step-siblings include Michael Bellisario who played Chip and Troian Bellisario who played McGee's younger sister Sarah on NCIS; Julie Bellisario Watson who has been a producer on NCIS, and the late David Bellisario who was a producer on a number of shows including JAG, NCIS, and NCIS: Los Angeles.

Sean has been acting since he was 14 years old; appearing in a number of television movies and varies television show episodes. One of his more notable roles is as teenager Thackery Binx in the cult-classic Hocus Pocus for which he was nominated for a Young Artist Award for Best Youth Actor Leading Role in a Motion Picture Comedy. You can see his character at the start and the very end of the movie, however unfortunately he doesn't voice the cat version of Thackery Binx (Jason Marsden voices this part). In 1994 Sean was in Harts of the West where he appeared in five out of fifteen episodes as the son of the main characters. Sean's NCIS co-star Mark Harmon also made an appearance in one episode of the show where the pair got to share screentime (video).

In 1998 Sean made his first appearance in his step-father's show, JAG, as Ens. Guitry in 4x03 "Innocence". Muse Watson, who would later appear as Mike Franks on NCIS, also appeared in this episode. He would later appear in 6 episodes of season 6 as Danny Walden, the son of Dr. Sidney Walden who was dating Rear Admiral A.J. Chegwidden. Sean's six appearances as Danny spanned from 6x03 to 6x21. Then in 2003 he joined NCIS, landing his most memorable and well-known role: Special Agent Timothy McGee. When NCIS first featured McGee's apartment they included a real picture of Sean as a child with his father, Navy Captain Craig Harland Murray, representing McGee and his father. This picture helped to shape the backstory for McGee's character.

Sean's favourite movie is reportedly Stand by Me, which inspired him to get into acting. Some of his hobbies outside of acting include; playing guitar, traveling, snowboarding, and skiing. He keeps his personal life pretty private. He met his now wife, Carrie James, in 2004; and the pair married on November 26, 2005. The couple has two children; a daughter, Caitlyn Melissa Murray (b. May 3, 2007) and a son, River James Murray (b. April 22, 2010). Sean has said that his son's name is inspired from the Murray River in Australia. The couple have also been renovating their house for ten years, creating their ideal family home. This has been a real passion for Sean due to his upbringing of never really having a home or something which could be personalized.

x

Fans
TeAm*LP*CoOkIeS
Laurababora
yeguia0
LucyHyde
thepoison
LostEvi
Starfield_Scribe
MelBelle2
Black mamba
maplezbear
californiabound
shadow kissed
xoBrucasFan4everxo
YAMI1024
ChoirNerd
AngelicMouseGirl
Julien Suncrisbe
landlfan01
Melanie Garcia
WyldIce
B.Chambers
maybe someday love
nofear88
cabot007
fourleafclover
Cosmic Love
shinebrighterxx
WeBuiltThePyramids
Kiss of Death
Nilicat
BlondieLeigh
KOUAT12
baelfire24
room to breathe
ladybugjess
Always Choose You
TV_Fanatic90
Donna K

"It's just occurred to me that rules number 3, 8, 36, and 40 are the same thing. And
with two rule #1s and two #3s, I'm starting to question that these are honest mistakes.
Is Gibbs making up these rules as he goes? Do all parents?" (12x10)

x

Future Title Ideas

• You're NCIS Senior Special Agent Timothy frickin' McGee. You eat corrupt CEOs for breakfast and murderers for lunch. - Torres

Previous Threads

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

Last edited by florerr; 07-31-2023 at 12:51 PM
maplezbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:01 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

TFTNT

& also for reminding me that we'd really finish McGee's OP at some point
Old 02-02-2021, 03:13 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Thanks for the new thread

Chelle » join GTmy art
shinebrighterxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

You are welcome!

yeah, I forgot about the intros being redone.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:23 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

I think we "only" had the scenes left to decide on for McGee... And looking up some quotes
Old 02-05-2021, 09:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ah ok
Old 03-19-2021, 10:41 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Quote:
NCIS’s Sean Murray Shows Off the Home He Spent 10 Years Designing: ‘I Totally Fell in Love with It’

Growing up, "home" was wherever Murray's dad, a Navy Captain, was stationed. The actor spent time in Singapore, Australia and London before the age of 8 and was raised on bases in a series of nondescript houses that the family often first saw when they pulled up outside.

"I remember my mom and I joking about, 'Is it going to be a light shade of military green or a dark shade of military green?'" he says. There were strict rules about personalizing their temporary homes, but one thing Murray was allowed to do was decorate the walls of his bedroom.

"There is definitely something about putting roots down, because I didn't have that as a kid, in a lot of ways. We moved every two, three years," says Murray. "So there is a part of me that's like, 'You got your place, your space, your house with your family. Make it yours.'"

He and his wife Carrie, 46, who runs the Business Relationship Alliance (a network for women entrepreneurs), bought their current home 10 years ago when they found out they were expecting their second child, River (now 10), after their daughter Caitlyn (13).

But the house they settled on was far from perfect. "You probably wouldn't even recognize it now if you saw it. It looked very early-'90s," says Sean of the sprawling one-story property, which came complete with a glass-block entry wall.

The dated design also hid some more serious issues in and around the 4,200-square-foot 6-bedroom home. "It started with like, 'Okay, there's a drainage problem, so we'll address that,'" recalls Murray. "And then you find other little things, and before we knew it, we were redesigning the landscaping and building a pool and Jacuzzi."

At the peak of their renovation, Murray adds with a laugh, "it was like we were living in a tent for a year."

Despite a few headaches, the actor found himself leaning into the creative process, obsessing over finishes and even dreaming up a custom wood-slat wall for the entry to replace the dreaded glass blocks. "It got to the point where my wife even said to our designer, 'Just talk to Sean about the details,'" he adds of the process. "I totally fell in love with it."

But as any true design lover knows, a house is never really done. The couple is currently decamped to a spare bathroom while theirs is being remodeled. The one thing you won't find in the design: a drop of olive-drab paint.

View Pictures & Video
I'm not sure if the video will work for everyone but there's some pictures of the house & Sean with his wife & children in the article . I've copied most of the article itself over though

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 03-20-2021, 02:25 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

The video worked

Thanks for sharing the article!
Old 03-20-2021, 03:41 PM
Graphics Team Manager

YW Glad the video was working. It worked for me so I was hopeful it wasn't one of those region blocked videos

His place looks cool

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 03-20-2021, 03:44 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

It had that "forever home" vibe to it... But knowing his background it makes perfect sense that he wanted a home just like that
Old 03-20-2021, 04:00 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Completely agreed with both points

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 03-20-2021, 04:17 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

& it tells a lot about his wife's character, that she left him takeover in the designing decisions
Old 03-20-2021, 05:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for that. His places looks neat!
Old 03-20-2021, 08:15 PM
Graphics Team Manager

That is true. Its nice of her to let him take over

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 03-21-2021, 10:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It was
Reply   Post New Thread