Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2020, 06:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

On the CW there are some shows they are starting in the fall but looks like most of the new ones and returning ones are starting in 2021. This is what I am expecting with all the networks. Especially if it ends up being later in the year... that is going to be tough because they will be getting into the holidays so makes me wonder if they would just wait until first of the year.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplezbear (View Post)
On the CW there are some shows they are starting in the fall but looks like most of the new ones and returning ones are starting in 2021. This is what I am expecting with all the networks. Especially if it ends up being later in the year... that is going to be tough because they will be getting into the holidays so makes me wonder if they would just wait until first of the year.
Yup. I think the only high profile one for CW this fall is Supernatural which is finishing up it's last seven episodes that got interrupted this season. With two still needing to be filmed. Otherwise anything else highprofile will start in January, except Supergirl which is being pushed to spring due to it's star's pregnancy.

I guess it depends on the show, and how they can get up and running. IF CBS can get anything high profile like the NCIS franchise or anything else in the fall. I know CBS pushed Amazing Race to the fall figuring they needed content to fill some airtime.

NCIS has it's office set very partition as it is, so they could logically maybe get up and running. But yeah, I am not hopeful as more networks are pushing decisions and shows to January. Same with FOX.

So it will be a lot of binging and catching on shows. And little new content.
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!
Old 05-15-2020, 06:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well if SPN has 5 out of the 7 filmed they could get away I guess with starting sometime in October especially if they get green-lighted to go back to filming where for final 2 episodes guess would only need what 3-4 weeks at most

I just know I saw something on Twitter of CW releasing a "schedule" but its still a way and see I guess to see when networks can get back to filming
Old 05-15-2020, 07:22 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Yeah CW released a schedule which lists the days shows will return, but their 'main shows' are not returning until January 2021. They do have a Fall schedule but SPN seems to be the only big name in it. Presumably if SPN only has 2 episodes to film they would be ready to come back for that though & they can hold off for a few more months before filming those two (possibly even to late October/early November). Unlike other shows they don't necessarily need to have a large cast either so that may help them return sooner. It all just depends on what the plan for the final episodes is. Plus CW would want them to wrap up filming of SPN as soon as they can so that Jared can start filming Walker (especially given that is listed in the January schedule).

I'm thinking all shows are hoping to be returning to production by October & starting to air in Jan at this point, regardless of which channel they're on. Its just that some have come forward & said January while others haven't. It makes me happy to see CW do this as it shows they care more about health than getting content as soon as possible. Yes its a longer wait, but I'd rather them being safer than pushing to all return as soon as possible.

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 05-15-2020, 07:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

That's my earliest thoughts about mid-season returns relating to January new episodes would be the best case
Old 05-15-2020, 07:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Agreed with you both

And really, even if things don't start back up until January, it will probably be here before we know it. This year is flying by faster than it was before it seems.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:24 PM
Graphics Team Manager

I agree

I do wonder if the later start dates will mean for much shorter seasons or a quick turn around between seasons to resume Fall start dates in late 2021? Although if they aired an episode every week from Jan-May they could reach around 20 episodes still. But what are the chances of them being able to do that given normally they have lots of breaks?

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 05-15-2020, 08:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I see shorter seasons could be likely
Old 05-15-2020, 08:39 PM
Graphics Team Manager

I'd presume shorter seasons too, but what I was saying was I wonder if it'll be much shorter or only a few episodes shorter. When you think about it they only normally air around 12-14 episodes between Jan-May. So that is half the length of a season normally so that'll make for very short seasons in comparison to the normal 24. If they could at least make it to 18 then that's only 6 episode shorter than usual (or 4 shorter than the usual 22 eps that other shows get). I'd also wonder if they'd risk a Jan-June/July season so they can give shows more time to have longer seasons, but that would make for a quick turn around between seasons. It'd also eliminate some of the time for Summer shows for 2021

I'll take whatever we get & be happy but you know an 8 month wait for 12 episodes seems a shame. A shame for the cast too who also have this wait to get back to work, then to only be able to do half the work they normally do? That's a bit sad.

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 05-15-2020, 08:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Guess it really depends cause I know my RNM had 13 episodes and it started on March 16th taking 1 week break for Memorial Day probably week Monday making it a June end but that's cause of the extreme delay of the start of the 2nd season

So even Jan to end of May would hopefully allow for a sizable season for most shows cause I remember even during the 2007 writers strike NCIS still held a 20 episode season or believe 20 where shortest think it was could have been 18 episodes

I think it depends cause that same year I remember Prison Break had a 13 episode season could have been due to both the strike and season restrictions cause we lost the main actress for that particular season so maybe only so much could have been done under the assumption a character was dead
Old 05-15-2020, 09:03 PM
Graphics Team Manager

The writers strike was different though - that still had the normal starting point.

Shows like RNM are like what I'm thinking - it is possible to run through a few episodes in the shorter period of time if you don't waste time with so many breaks. But usually we reach about episode 10-12 for midseason, with the remaining of the season shown from Jan-May. That'd hint towards the seasons being half the size if CBS treats them the same as normal. I'm not in the US so I don't understand why they take so many breaks or why most weeks I'd only be posting 2/3 episode threads (it becomes a thing where I'm shocked I can actually post a thread for all three sometimes ). That is where my concern lies as I know they could if it wasn't for all those breaks still air a decent sized season. But what are all these breaks for? They're bored? There's something else on? They are throwing darts at the schedule & where the show lands is when it airs? (pretty sure the later is reserved for how shows air here, not the US)

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 05-15-2020, 09:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It's ridiculous how many breaks at times especially for no reason few times makes sense for like Easter or like RMN taking off Memorial Day not Monday but following but I always found unnecessary ones more often than not especially Feb-March believe sometimes around March Madness of basketball believe sometime March
Old 05-15-2020, 11:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Schedules will depend on when they can go back. Soaps in the UK are planning to resume filming next month after putting a plan in place, and have been given the approval of the Government, and they have massive casts, so really it would likely depend on where the show films and the situation in that area, whether or not the cast can travel to get there etc. because a lot of shows seem to have casts living out of state. Tbh I think part of the reason NBC have delayed some renewals is because they don't know if they'll be moving things like One Chicago and SVU to January.

I'm not actually sure how viable it would be for shows like NCIS, though, that are action heavy, because the plan, from what we've been told, because I don't really see how they can continue with the action and maintain social distancing. You can edit a show to make it look like characters are standing closer together, but you can't really edit in a fight scene so well.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 05-16-2020, 03:18 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

Maybe they can simply have medical tests for the extras & such at entrance to the film studio and go from there... Like how they plan to re-open international air travel, with the enhanced security checks

Pauley doesn't seem to be too heartbroken about her show being cancelled. She called it "limited series" and the best experience of her life.

(I tried to watch the pilot, but had to turn it off after 10 minutes... It just wasn't for me... It was like a mixture of Fuller House & Two Broke Girls, but with more exasperated & less funny jokes... )
Old 05-16-2020, 03:28 AM
Graphics Team Manager

No, & if you read between the lines there seems to be a dig at NCIS in her tweet about it. Its a bit weird but if she's happy that's good. At least she had fun with it while it lasted.

Here they have temperature checks & separate the cast & crew to encourage social distancing & minimise too much contact between too many people. So if one gets sick they just need to shut down part of the production not the whole thing. That's for a soap so it could keep going but I can imagine NCIS being able to work with something like that. But the situation in Australia & the situation in the US are two different things. Then any show which is just on a set will be easier to bring back than shows like NCIS which go out in their filming & have guest stars & extras coming in. I think that's going to be the bigger issue than things like fight scenes

Chelle » join GTmy art
Closed Thread   Post New Thread