Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 06:25 AM
Master Fan

Mildred Pierce thread #1 (S&S): Because she proved that she could become independent and successful

Welcome to the 1st mildred Pierce thread
Spoilers & Speculation

Cast

Kate Winslet ... Mildred Pierce
Evan Rachel Wood ... Veda Pierce
Guy Pearce ... Monty Beragon
Mare Winningham ... Ida Corwin
Melissa Leo
Brian F. O'Byrne
James LeGros
Daniel London
Morgan Turner

Quote:
Kate Winslet told me she has been getting her hands dirty as she prepares to play Mildred Pierce, based strictly on the James M. Cain novel rather than the Joan Crawford movie version.

'When you first see Mildred, she's working in a restaurant kitchen, baking chicken pies. Then she does this for herself and runs her own business. I've been plucking chickens and preparing them for the pies,' the Oscar-winning actress told me at an Orange Bafta party hosted by Lancome and Harper's Bazaar at the St Martins Lane Hotel.

'I love doing it!' Kate told me as she demonstrated with her hands exactly what she did to those poor old chickens.

'It was the Depression,' Kate explained. 'People had to live - and eat.'

Guy Pearce and Evan Rachel Wood will also be in the drama, which Todd Haynes will direct for America's HBO TV.
Before shooting (and baking) begins, Kate's heading to LA for the Oscars on March 7, where she will be a major presenter.
Madonna signs Abbie Cornish up to her new film on Edward VIII's abdication | Mail Online

Quote:
HBO is finally confirming what’s been rumored for months: Oscar winner Kate Winslet will star in a five-hour miniseries adaptation of James M. Cain’s Depression-era novel Mildred Pierce.

Todd Haynes (Far From Heaven) is on board to direct the project, which finds Winslet playing a proud, single mother struggling to earn her daughter’s love during the Great Depression in middle-class Los Angeles.

The 1945 film version of Mildred Pierce netted Joan Crawford an Academy Award. It’s safe to say HBO’s remake will score Winslet her first Emmy.

Shooting begins in April in New York
It's official: Kate Winslet to headline HBO's 'Mildred Pierce' | Ausiello | EW.com

Quote:
Winslet Game for `Mildred Pierce'

By: Mike Fleming
Published: Thu, August 13, 2009, 3:08 PM
| Comments ( 1 ) | TrackBack ( 0 ) Email or Share

Kate Winslet is attached to "Mildred Pierce," a miniseries adaptation based on the James M. Cain novel that Todd Haynes is writing and directing. Sources said that HBO is the lead contender to get the mini, but payweb sources said no deal has been struck.

Cain's tale was famously turned into a 1945 film that won Joan Crawford an Oscar for the lead role of a bored housewife who gets into the restaurant business, an enterprise that leads to back-stabbing, romance and murder.

The involvement of Winslet--right after her Oscar-winning performance in "The Reader" and her work in "Revolutionary Road"--underscores how much paywebs like HBO have become prestige venues for films that might vanish as theatrical releases, a fact underscored by the success of "Grey Gardens," which garnered Emmy noms for Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange.

Haynes directed "I'm Not There," "Safe" and "Far From Heaven
BFDealmemo on Variety.com

Quote:
Mare Winningham has landed the last major role on HBO's miniseries "Mildred Pierce."

In pilot-casting news, Lizzy Caplan is set as a lead on CBS' comedy "True Love," and Sharon Leal has scored a lead on the CW drama "Hellcats."

"Pierce," Todd Haynes' five-hour miniseries based on James M. Cain's noir novel, stars Kate Winslet as Mildred Pierce Beragon, a wife who separates from her unemployed husband (Brian F. O'Byrne) and takes a job as a waitress while struggling to earn her daughter's (Evan Rachel Wood ) love in Los Angeles during the Great
Mare Winningham joins HBO's 'Pierce'

Quote:
Having served as maid — and romantic rival — for Strindberg’s Miss Julie this season in Patrick Marber’s update for Broadway (After Miss Julie), Marin Ireland has signed up for another stretch of servitude, picking up after Mildred Pierce in a five-hour HBO miniseries that allows the Oscared Kate Winslet to take a whack at the long-suffering mother role that won Joan Crawford her little gold man.

“No, I’m not Veda,” she hastened to add. “Evan Rachel Wood is playing Veda so that will be exciting. I’m playing Lottie, who’s their maid-slash-assistant baker.”

It was news to her that her role was played by the daft and squeaky Butterfly McQueen (“Prissy” in Gone With the Wind ), but she bounced back with panache: “I play very against type all the time so I feel this is sorta in keeping with my policy.”

Guy Pearce, Mare Winningham, James LeGros and Brian F. O’Byrne co-star in the roles originated by Zachary Scott, Eve Arden, Jack Carson and Bruce Bennett in the 1945 flick. Arden and Ann Blyth (as the problematic Veda) earned their only Oscar nominations here, supporting La Crawford. Blyth soon evolved into sweeter roles.

The miniseries remake is being directed by Todd Haynes (Far From Heaven).
Kate Winslet Fan|Your #1 resource for everything Ms. Winslet

Quote:
Mildred Pierce (starring Kate Winslet) is filming near Madison Square Park today too (around W 25th and Broadway) 8 minutes ago via web
Twitter / olv: Mildred Pierce (starring K ...

Quote:
Kate Winslet was out walking about NYC on Sunday with a worried look on her face while filming her new movie Mildred Pierce. Since splitting from her husband Sam Mendes, Kate’s getting back to work by playing a divorced single mother in the film. She’ll probably have a lot to bring to the role!

Kate and Sam have been maintaining a relationship since their split and have been spotted in NYC taking care of their kids.

Kate is now getting back to work, but kind of doubt this role will really help to take her mind off of things!
Kate Winslet Plays Her Divorced Single Mother Part Well | OK! Magazine - The First for Celebrity News

Quote:
Getting back to work on the set of Mildred Pierce, Kate Winslet was spotted in Queens, New York City on Wednesday (May 26).

Decked out in full wardrobe, the Academy Award winning actress got herself into character and knocked out several scenes for the upcoming film.

In related news, Ms. Winslet missed a day of filming because she acquired an enormous bruise while playing basketball with her kids, Mia and Joe.

A source told the New York Post, “She fell after being hit by a basketball and suffered bruising that couldn’t be covered with make-up, so the entire production was halted on Monday.” …
Kate Winslet: Back in work mode

Quote:
Evan Rachel Woods and co-star Kate Winslet film their new HBO miniseries, Mildred Pierce, Uptown Manhattan and Queens on Thursday (May 27).

In the 1930s-set drama, Kate stars as the title character, a single mother in middle-class Los Angeles during the Great Depression who is trying to earn her daughter’s love. Todd Haynes (I’m Not There) is directing.

15+ pictures inside of Evan Rachel Wood and Kate Winslet filming Mildred Pierce…
Evan Rachel Wood & Kate Winslet Shoot Mildred Pierce | Evan Rachel Wood, Kate Winslet : Just Jared

Quote:
Mildred Pierce, HBO mini series with Kate Winslet, is filming on 175/176th streets and fort washington/broadway until as late as 3 AM about 23 hours ago via web.
Kate shoots “Mildred Pierce” yesterday

Quote:
Kate Winslet was snapped yesterday on the set of the new HBO miniseries, Mildred Pierce, where she plays a single mother in Los Angeles during the Great Depression who is struggling to win her daughter back.
Quote:
Evan Rachel Wood and fiance Marilyn Manson walk around the set of HBO’s Mildred Pierce in New York City on Friday (May 28).

Evan, 22, and Kate Winslet shot some scenes in Manhattan and Queens on Thursday.

The pair will be starring in a film together, entitled Splatter Sisters, which is set to be a “sexploitation-serial-killer-slasher-road-movie circa 1989.”

10+ pictures of Evan Rachel Wood and Marilyn Manson, the Mildred Pierce pair…
Evan Rachel Wood & Marilyn Manson: Mildred Pierce Pair | Evan Rachel Wood, Marilyn Manson : Just Jared

Production Stills

Last edited by One Love; 03-24-2011 at 12:05 PM
Old 04-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for opening Fatima Now we can post all the news related stuff here

I'll bring stuff over from the News Thread when I have some time

Last edited by *PassionateJ*; 04-19-2010 at 08:18 AM
Old 04-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Master Fan

You're welcome Jess. It would be great if you could bring over some stuff
Old 04-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Supreme Fan

yay glad you opened it Fatima we should get lots of new stuff weve already got loads of candids
Old 04-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Fatima* (View Post)
You're welcome Jess. It would be great if you could bring over some stuff
From the OP:

Quote:
Kate Winslet told me she has been getting her hands dirty as she prepares to play Mildred Pierce, based strictly on the James M. Cain novel rather than the Joan Crawford movie version.

'When you first see Mildred, she's working in a restaurant kitchen, baking chicken pies. Then she does this for herself and runs her own business. I've been plucking chickens and preparing them for the pies,' the Oscar-winning actress told me at an Orange Bafta party hosted by Lancome and Harper's Bazaar at the St Martins Lane Hotel.

'I love doing it!' Kate told me as she demonstrated with her hands exactly what she did to those poor old chickens.

'It was the Depression,' Kate explained. 'People had to live - and eat.'

Guy Pearce and Evan Rachel Wood will also be in the drama, which Todd Haynes will direct for America's HBO TV.
Before shooting (and baking) begins, Kate's heading to LA for the Oscars on March 7, where she will be a major presenter.
Madonna signs Abbie Cornish up to her new film on Edward VIII's abdication | Mail Online

Quote:
HBO is finally confirming what’s been rumored for months: Oscar winner Kate Winslet will star in a five-hour miniseries adaptation of James M. Cain’s Depression-era novel Mildred Pierce.

Todd Haynes (Far From Heaven) is on board to direct the project, which finds Winslet playing a proud, single mother struggling to earn her daughter’s love during the Great Depression in middle-class Los Angeles.

The 1945 film version of Mildred Pierce netted Joan Crawford an Academy Award. It’s safe to say HBO’s remake will score Winslet her first Emmy.

Shooting begins in April in New York
It's official: Kate Winslet to headline HBO's 'Mildred Pierce' | Ausiello | EW.com

Quote:
Winslet Game for `Mildred Pierce'

By: Mike Fleming
Published: Thu, August 13, 2009, 3:08 PM
| Comments ( 1 ) | TrackBack ( 0 ) Email or Share

Kate Winslet is attached to "Mildred Pierce," a miniseries adaptation based on the James M. Cain novel that Todd Haynes is writing and directing. Sources said that HBO is the lead contender to get the mini, but payweb sources said no deal has been struck.

Cain's tale was famously turned into a 1945 film that won Joan Crawford an Oscar for the lead role of a bored housewife who gets into the restaurant business, an enterprise that leads to back-stabbing, romance and murder.

The involvement of Winslet--right after her Oscar-winning performance in "The Reader" and her work in "Revolutionary Road"--underscores how much paywebs like HBO have become prestige venues for films that might vanish as theatrical releases, a fact underscored by the success of "Grey Gardens," which garnered Emmy noms for Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange.

Haynes directed "I'm Not There," "Safe" and "Far From Heaven
BFDealmemo on Variety.com

I still need to go through the recent news thread for stuff....
Old 04-20-2010, 03:16 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for that Jess. I'll add some things to the OP later.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Dedicated Fan

Yaaay, thanks for opening this thread!

You don't need an invitation to your own life
Old 04-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Master Fan

You're welcome Nessa.

Added some news to the OP
Old 04-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Supreme Fan

thanks for the OP Fatima hopefully we will get lots of interviews when it comes out-i like the sound of the story so i will prob watch the whole thing if i can
Old 04-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Fatima* (View Post)
Thanks for that Jess. I'll add some things to the OP later.
Love it I will post more soon from whatever I see in the news thread
Old 04-22-2010, 03:22 AM
Master Fan

Thanks Jess. it would be great if you could do that. I might add some more things to OP.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^ i will when I have the patience to go through it

Maybe sometime this weekend

Photos of Kate Winslet filming Mildred Pierce in New York City

^ More pics @ the link

Pics here too

Kate Winslet Fan|Your #1 resource for everything Ms. Winslet

I like her look for the 2nd day of filming...the 4th picture on the top row!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Dedicated Fan

awww, lovely pics! thanks for the links, Jess!

You don't need an invitation to your own life
Old 04-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Supreme Fan

thanks for the link Jess nice to see lots of BTS pics
Old 04-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the link Jess.