Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 03:16 AM
Master Fan

Carnage #1: Because "a study in the tension between civilized surface and savage instinct" (S&S)

Carnage Appreciation

Quote:
Jodie Foster and Kate Winslet To Star In Roman Polanski’s ‘God Of Carnage’

EXCLUSIVE: Christoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds) and Matt Dillon (Crash) will play their husbands in Polanski’s adaptation of Yasmina Reza’s Tony-winning play. Shooting begins in Paris in February for 12 weeks. Although the film is set in Brooklyn, Polanski’s legal troubles mean that he has to shoot in France. The Academy Award-winning director cannot enter the US due to allegations against him for unlawful sexual conduct with a minor in 1977. The film is being co-produced by French producer SBS and Constantin Film of Germany. Said Ben Said of SBS recently produced Reza’s feature directing debut Chicas, which starred Polanski’s wife Emmanuelle Seigner. Jeff Berg of ICM has been packaging the project since Reza first disclosed she was adapting her play with the Academy Award-winning director this summer. I’m told that Pathe and UGC are both vying to be French distributor. God of Carnage tells the story of two sets of parents who meet after their sons are involved in a schoolyard fight. The meeting goes disastrously wrong as each pair attacks the other’s parenting skills before turning on each other about problems in their own marriages. The show ran for 452 performances on Broadway before closing in June. James Gandolfini, Marcia Gay Harden, Jeff Daniels and Hope Davis originally starred. God of Carnage won three Tony awards, including Best Play.

Jodie Foster and Kate Winslet To Star In Roman Polanski’s ‘God Of Carnage’ – Deadline.com

Quote:
Jodie Foster and Kate Winslet steam up the screen in Polanski’s “God of Carnage”

Hold onto your seats you lucky little lesbians! It has just been announced that hot mama Jodie Foster and sexpot Kate Winslet have signed on to star in Roman Polanski’s adaptation of Yasmina Reza’s Tony Award-winning play God of Carnage.

Playing alongside Foster and Winslet are Inglorious Basterds star Christoph Waltz and Crash star Matt Dillon. Waltz and Dillon will star as the ladies’ husbands.

God of Carnage tells the tale of two sets of marriages in trouble when their children become involved in a fight at school and all sides are forced to take a good look at their own parenting skills.

The New York Times stated while referring to the Broadway version of Carnage, “As rum replaces coffee and outer garments are removed, sides of combat blur. The men gang up on the women, the women gang up on the men, and the husbands and wives wind up, briefly, changing partners.”

Hmm. Changing partners. Jodie Foster. Kate Winslet. We’ll let you have a moment to consider the options available.

Since Polanski is not allowed to legally enter the United States due to his legal woes in a child molestation case going back to 1977, the Academy Award-winning director will shoot the film in France. Paris will be the backdrop for the stars starting this February. It has been reported that filming will last around 12 weeks mark. The original location in the script called for the story’s location to be in Brooklyn, New York.

God of Carnage originally ran on Broadway in 2009 for a total of 452 performances and starred James Gandolfini, Marcia Gay Harden, Jeff Daniels and Hope Davis in the roles now being portrayed by Foster, Winslet, Waltz and Dillon. The Broadway show won a total of three Tony Awards.

Jodie Foster and Kate Winslet steam up the screen in Polanski’s “God of Carnage”

Quote:
John C. Reilly Joins Roman Polanski's 'God Of Carnage'

With his legal troubles more or less behind him (though he will forever be plagued by them) Roman Polanski is getting back in the business of making movies and has added one more actor the solid lineup he has assembled for his next film.

John C. Reilly is joining Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster and Christoph Waltz in "God Of Carnage." The film will be an adaptation of the hit play by French writer Yasmina Reza ("Art"), and the New York set story (a location the helmer can't film in, for obvious reasons, and will instead shoot in Paris), follows two sets of middle-class parents who meet for dinner after their children get into a fight at school. Reilly replaces Matt Dillon who was scrubbed from early casting news surrounding the film. Perhaps it's because he needs to make "Armored 2."

No word yet on the couple pairings but it's a formidable set of actors who will be tackling some strong material. Filming will begin in January in Paris and is it too much to expect a late 2011 release? Will Polanski go from legal woe to Oscar glory?

The Playlist: John C. Reilly Joins Roman Polanski's 'God Of Carnage'

Quote:
Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster, Christoph Waltz & John C. Reilly Now Filming Roman Polanski’s ‘Carnage’

Shooting began earlier this week on Roman Polanski’s “Carnage,” a film adaptation of the Tony Award-winning play “Gods Of Carnage” by Yasmina Reza. Stars Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster, John C. Reilly and Christoph Waltz have traveled to Paris to the shoot the film about two sets of parents that come together to hash it out after their children get into a playground fight. True to the title, the meeting eventually turns out bad for all as the parents begin to attack and turn on each other. Winslet and Waltz play husband and wife Nancy and Alan, while Foster and Reilly as Penelope and Michael. The film is being produced by Said Ben Said through SBS Productions with ICM repping sales in the U.S.

The plays has been adapted for the screen by both Reza and Polanski. It premiered in 2006 and landed on Broadway in 2009 to rave reviews: according to Ben Brantley of the New York Times, the play is “a study in the tension between civilized surface and savage instinct… a satisfyingly primitive entertainment with an intellectual veneer.” The original cast included Jeff Daniels, Hope Davis, Marcia Gay Harden and James Gandolfini. Polanski said about the material, “As soon as I saw the play I thought it would make an exciting movie…It’s a challenge to make a film in real time, without a single ellipse.”

Winslet has HBO movie “Mildred Pierce” coming out later this year, and she will also been seen in Steven Soderbergh’s much anticipated “Contagion.” Foster has “The Beaver” coming out this year, a film that she directed, and it was recently announced that she would join Matt Damon and Sharlto Copley in Neill Blomkamp’s “Elysium.” Waltz is looking to gain some credibility back after starring as the villain in the terrible “Green Hornet” movie, but he also has “Water for Elephants” and “The Three Musketeers” coming out this year. Reilly also has a few projects this year, including the comedy “Cedar Rapids” that just premiered at Sundance and Lynne Ramsay’s “We Need to Talk About Kevin” with Tilda Swinton. Needless to say, the cast is a great one and should be able to recreate a theater-like atmosphere on the screen. No word yet on a release date but maybe if Polanski hustles, a Venice/TIFF premiere?
Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster, Christoph Waltz & John C. Reilly Now Filming Roman Polanski’s ‘Carnage’ > The Playlist

Last edited by One Love; 07-10-2011 at 08:21 AM
Old 02-03-2011, 05:50 AM
Fan Forum Star

Ah, thanks for the very new thread.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:34 AM
Supreme Fan

thanks for opening the new thread Fatima really intrigued by this one-cant really make it out but it sounds interesting
Old 02-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Master Fan

TFNT, Fatima! Hope this movie comes in Cyprus! Will be weird to see Kate co-starring with John C. Reilly...
Old 02-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Master Fan

No problem. I hope they'll film this outside a bit. maybe we'll get pictures this time
Old 02-04-2011, 04:23 AM
Fan Forum Star

Would be nice to add some pictures to the OP.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:52 AM
Supreme Fan

yeh it would be nice to add some promo pics when they've finished filming altough not sure how long filming is they were on a very closed set for Contagion so they might be the same with this one for some reason
Old 02-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

They like to stay hidden, it seems.

The play this movie is based on is Tony Award winning so the storyline must be great.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:32 AM
Master Fan

I didn't know that about the Tony. That's a good sign. Must be good.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

It is a good sign. And Roman Polanski, despite his personal issues, is a good director. He's made some good movies.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Master Fan

I don't think I have seen any of his work but he has impressive films on his list
Old 02-07-2011, 02:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

He did 'The Pianist' which was a pretty amazing movie, though really hard to watch.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Master Fan

I have heard of it. I do believe that he is a great director. Great opportunity for Kate to work with him
Old 04-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Supreme Fan

just bringing this over from katewinsletfan.com

Ready for another round of debate as to whether or not Roman Polanski should be allowed back into the United States in order to attend awards shows? Well then good news, because Polanski’s latest movie Carnage is all set up to get a distribution deal, and it looks like a film that will be getting a lot of attention come awards season. Deadline Topanga Canyon reports that Michael Barker and Tom Bernard of Sony Pictures Classics are close to signing a deal to release the film, that was packaged by ICM, here in the US.

Carnage is an adaptation of a Tony Award winning play by Yasmina Reza. It tells the story of the aftermath of a schoolyard brawl between two 11 year-old boys. The boys’ parents turn out to be just as irrational as their children, and when they meet to talk over the scuffle a series of arguments and chaotic disagreements over various hot-button issues becomes the norm for the night. The stage play’s original cast consisted of James Gandolfini, Marcia Gay Harden, Jeff Daniels, and Hope Davis, but none of those actors reprise their roles for Polanski’s film version. That would probably be seen as a huge disappointment, except for the fact that Polanski got Christoph Waltz, Jodie Foster, John C. Reilly, and Kate Winslet to replace them. Wow, way to be a one-upper Roman.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for posting that, Lizie. And for bumping this thread