Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The "He needs a kidney" video is on sale at iTUnes. The proceeds are going to the National Kidney Foundation. I didn't know there was a National Kidney Foundation.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:06 AM
Master Fan

Wow, that's a great idea. As funny as the kidney song is I hope it helps that more and more people will think about donation.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Master Fan

Checking out the NBC upfronts! They're still going to rotate all the Thursday night comedies to 'keep it fresh'. And they're going to start 30 Rock about a month late because Alec and Tina are both making movies in the summer and they want to be able to air the episodes sequentially.

"They're loyal beasts"
"They were loyal. Now they're starving."

Old 05-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Carolyn, thanks for that news.

Kind of news:

source

Quote:
Philippines protests Alec Baldwin's mail-order bride joke

MANILA (AFP) — The Philippine government on Tuesday said it was demanding a formal apology from Hollywood actor Alec Baldwin over a joke he made about getting a Filipina mail-order bride.

The joke, made during a May 12 interview with US talk show host David Letterman, had sparked outrage among politicians and Filipinos around the world, the government said.

Manila's consul general to New York, Cecilia Rebon, had been asked to send a letter to the producers of the show and to Baldwin "to express deep concern over the derogatory remark," the foreign department said.

"The consulate shares the sentiments expressed by many others that although said in jest, the remarks displayed insensitivity and tactlessness," the department said.

In the interview, Baldwin told Letterman he was "thinking about getting a Filipina mail-order bride ... or a Russian."

"I don't care, I'm 51," said Baldwin, who is divorced from Oscar-winning actress Kim Basinger.

Letterman replied: "Get one for me, for later" to laughter from the audience.

The interview has been widely circulated on the video sharing site YouTube, causing outrage among the huge Filipino diaspora.

At least three members of the Philippine Senate have also demanded that Baldwin publicly apologise, stressing that the mail-order bride business was outlawed here.

"Incidents of mockery against our race happen again and again. Again and again we must not fail in our strong condemnation and resounding assertion of our dignity," said Senator Loren Legarda.

"Let us make it clear to the world: Filipino women are not for sale. Not even for sale to Hollywood actors," she said.

Baldwin is the latest foreign actor to have made a gaffe about Filipinas. In 2007, the producers of the top-rated "Desperate Housewives" show apologised after one the lead characters played by actor Teri Hatcher put down Filipino doctors.

Recently, a Hong Kong-based columnist also apologised publicly for calling the Philippines "a nation of servants."
Well, Russia has a sense of humour at least.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:25 AM
Master Fan

Dude lol, don't apologize Alec.

It's kinda sad to see 30 Rock being a midseason show suddenly but I get that they need time for their movies in summer. But still, I need my 30 Rock fix.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Extreme Fan

Aww, poor Alec. While I recognize (and do not particularly like) the insensitivity of that joke, it always seems like things with Alec get blown up to be huge news. A lot of the time he deserves it, but I feel like there are times (like this) when he doesn't.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm bummed about 30 Rock being a midseason show.

After the whole deal with "Desperate Housewives" getting in trouble with the Phillipines, AB just should have known better. Honestly, I had forgotten about that joke until a fuss was kicked up about it.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Extreme Fan

Okay, this probably sounds really stupid, but what exactly does a midseason show mean? Does it mean that 30 Rock doesn't come back until January? Or is it November-ish kind of like last year?
Old 05-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's pretty confusing. From what I've read it looks like it'll be premiereing (sp?) like maybe a month after the fall season starts? I guess it's technically not a mid season replacement.

Anyone finding it really strange that there's an ad for dating Filipinas on this page?
Old 05-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Master Fan

I think what they meant was they're going to start in late October/November. They're not midseasoning us, at least not yet.
Midseason shows start Jan/Feb, like 24 and Lost.

"They're loyal beasts"

Old 05-26-2009, 03:42 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer78 (View Post)
Anyone finding it really strange that there's an ad for dating Filipinas on this page?
I know, I have that ad as well.

30 Rock is technically not a midseason show but if they're starting the season in late November or even December it's almost like one and I don't like waiting that long.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Extreme Fan

Haha, I have that ad too. Oh, Google Ads.

Okay, so they haven't pushed us back to technically being a midseason show. It does stink, though, that we're going to have to wait so long for it. Although, that was about when it premiered last year, right? Wasn't it the end of October? So if we've waited that long before, we could do it again. Maybe.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's 5 months of no new episodes, at least. That feels so long.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:45 AM
Master Fan

*sad nod*

I know! I already feel very deprived of 30 Rock zinger goodness.

"They're loyal beasts"

Old 05-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Although, that was about when it premiered last year, right? Wasn't it the end of October?
Yeah, October 30th if I remember correctly.