Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Master Fan

I loveee him in The Birdcage!
Old 09-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Elite Fan

Regina Spektor headed to Broadway!

The lovely and talented Regina Spektor is taking on a fantastic new endeavor!

The singer/songwriter is set to collaborate with playwright/director Tina Landau and lyricist Michael Korie on a new musical entitled Beauty.

Beauty is described as using "the 1812 Grimm fairy tale Sleeping Beauty as a jumping off point for a contemporary and hauntingly provocative story of beauty lost and beauty found."

With Regina attached to the project, we're sure it's going to be amazeballs!

Beauty is being aimed at Broadway for the 2011-2012 season, after an out-of-town run.

Exciting!

I'm so excited for this. I love Regina Spektor so much.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Elite Fan

I love Regina Spektor too.

Thanks for that Jenn!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Elite Fan

Welcome!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That is so exciting. I can't wait to hear more about it. Regina is amazing.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Elite Fan

I can see that piece easily becoming one of my favourites. Regina's music is just so creative.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Elite Fan

Sorry for the double post, but I'm going to start posting daily Broadway news, so that members have an idea of what's going on in the world of theatre (mostly New York).

Broadway News for October 13th&14th, 2009

The New York Post is reporting that the Wicked star Kristin Chenoweth will play Fran Kubelik in the spring revival of Promises, Promises opposite Sean Hayes (this news is unconfirmed)

Vanessa Ray has joined the cast of Hair as Crissy, temporarily replacing Allison Case, who will return to the Tony-winning revival in January 2010.

There are some new faces in Broadway’s soaring musical Mary Poppins. New stars Laura Michelle Kelly, who originated the part of everyone’s favorite nanny in the London production, and Christian Borle, late of Legally Blonde, head a cast of rookies and veterans alike.

Variety reports that 'Harry Potter' star Daniel Radcliffe will lead the cast of an upcoming New York reading of 1961 musical "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying," marking the first musical turn for the "Harry Potter" star.

That's all the news for today.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Very interesting stuff. I'm especially interested in Promises, Promises because I know that that revival was originally to star Anne Hathway and Sean Hayes, interesting.

The How To Succeed... news worries me, to be honest.

It's very nice you're going to try to do this daily, Jen. Much appreciated.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Elite Fan

Thats what I thought too, Mandy, but now they are speculating that Kristin may get the role.

I'm not impressed with the Daniel Radcliffe news either.

Broadway News for October 15th&16th, 2009

Bye Bye Birdie officially opened on Broadway yesterday.

The hit musical Les Miserables may make its way to the silver screen. The U.K.’s Daily Mail reports producer Cameron Mackintosh has teamed up with London’s Working Title films to turn the tuner into a Hollywood movie musical.

Tony winner Sutton Foster is set to star in Stephen Sondheim and Arthur Laurents’ Anyone Can Whistle, directed and choreographed by Casey Nicholaw. The show, which will be the final Encores! production of the 2009-2010 season, will play five performances from April 8 to April 11, 2010 at City Center.

A new cast for Yasmina Reza’s Tony-winning black comedy God of Carnage will begin performances on November 17 at Broadway’s Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre. Christine Lahti will play Veronica, replacing Marcia Gay Harden; Annie Potts has signed on as Annette, replacing Hope Davis; Jimmy Smits will be Alan, replacing Jeff Daniels; and original West End cast member Ken Stott will recreate his performance as Michael, replacing James Gandolfini.

Kelli O'Hara is back in South Pacific, and all’s right with Broadway! Less than four months after the birth of her son, Owen James Naughton, the popular star returned to the stage of the Vivian Beaumont Theatre on October 13 to play Ensign Nellie Forbush in the Tony-winning Broadway revival.

That's it for today, folks.

Last edited by let it be; 10-16-2009 at 05:06 PM
Old 11-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the new Jenn. I'm enthused by the replacement cast of God of Carnage, I really think these actors can rival the prior cast which is so often not the case. I'm also wonderfully glad to hear about Kelli.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Elite Fan

There has been so much more exciting theatre news and I'll post some highlights soon.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

You better
Old 11-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Elite Fan

Recent theatre news and highlights:

It’s official: Tony and Emmy winner Kristin Chenoweth and Emmy winner Sean Hayes will co-star in the first-ever Broadway revival of Promises, Promises, which has booked the Broadway Theatre beginning March 28, 2010. Directed and choreographed by Rob Ashford, the musical will open on April 25.

The Marvelous Wonderettes
to Close Off-Broadway in January. (What a shame, I love this show)

Dayton Tavares and Liam Redhead Are Broadway's Newest Billy Elliots. (story)

In the Heights Tony Winner Lin-Manuel Miranda Gets Engaged to His Longtime Leading Lady, Vanessa Ladal.

Off-Broadway's The Temperamentals, Starring Michael Urie, Transfers to New World Stages (story)

Mark-Paul Gosselaar, Justin Kirk and Julie White Bring the Curtain Up on New Comedy The Understudy

New Musical Million Dollar Quartet Books Broadway's Nederlander Theatre: Million Dollar Quartet, the hit 1950s rock show that has been running for a year in Chicago, will open at Broadway’s Nederlander Theatre in April 2010. Previews are set begin on March 13, directed by Eric Schaeffer. Casting and creative team members will be announced at a later date.

Sarah Jessica Parker, Kerry Washington and Others Selected by Obama for Arts Committee.

The Merchant of Venice and The Winter's Tale Announced for Shakespeare in the Park.

Abigail Breslin and Alison Pill to Star in The Miracle Worker on Broadway.

Matt Cavenaugh to Exit West Side Story in December.

Scarlett Johansson to Make Her Broadway Debut Opposite Liev Schreiber in A View From the Bridge

That's all for now, folks.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by let it be (View Post)
It’s official: Tony and Emmy winner Kristin Chenoweth and Emmy winner Sean Hayes will co-star in the first-ever Broadway revival of Promises, Promises, which has booked the Broadway Theatre beginning March 28, 2010. Directed and choreographed by Rob Ashford, the musical will open on April 25.

Off-Broadway's The Temperamentals, Starring Michael Urie, Transfers to New World Stages (story)

Abigail Breslin and Alison Pill to Star in The Miracle Worker on Broadway.
Interesting
Old 11-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Elite Fan

I'm excited for Kristin to be back on Broadway.

Also, I think Abigail will be fantastic in The Miracle Worker.