Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

I love the music in this show it's the best music ever for a musical and it's fun and upbeat it's so fun to listen to and to know quickly and they are not hard to forget either.
(HTGAWM) Connor&Oliver, (OITNB) John&Daya, (B99) Jake&Amy, (NCIS: LA) Deeks&Kensi, (Castle) Castle&Beckett, (Nashville) Deacon&Rayna, (Chicago Fire) Casey&Dawson, (GMW) Cory&Topanga
Old 03-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Supreme Fan

I agree that this musical has some of the most entertaining songs! The dancing in the film was also really amazing - I love the Cell Block Tango scene!

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 03-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Cell Block Tango is one of the best parts of the movie IMO
Old 03-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriela (View Post)
I agree that this musical has some of the most entertaining songs! The dancing in the film was also really amazing - I love the Cell Block Tango scene!
I like that Rob Marshall didn't go Fosse. Don't get me wrong, he's amazing but it's a very theatrical sort of dance that I don't think would be translated well to the type of adaptation they chose to make. It was really very savvy.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Elite Fan

Some things I find in musicals don't necessarily transfer well on screen, no matter how hard you try! Those are always tough choices on what to cut.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 03-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It is. There has to be, with an adaptation of any kind a respect from where things came from but it's own innovation.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Supreme Fan

Yeah - and I find it so difficult with musicals because rarely are there songs that I could do without....most of the time I love every song, so I think those are some difficult decisions that directors of adaptations have to make...

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 03-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, I think when they are picking that try to select fan favorites but also anything essential to advance the story but usually that leaves stuff out.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Elite Fan

You gotta cut a musical that is usually 3 hours long into 1 1/2 hours is really hard.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 03-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's true. I think musicals like Mama Mia! have is a little easier because alot of it is production filler, the plot is more secondary. I think it's important with Chicago to find yourself rooting for one or both of the girls and get behind what makes them what/who they are.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah and sometimes it's harder to squeeze the development of the characters to get audiences to care for them.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 03-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Supreme Fan

Yeah - you can't just fill every moment with the music - there's got to be plenty of room for the story to go on with songs that help it along as well.

I thought they did a good job with the movie I remember watching Catherine Zeta-Jones and Queen Latifah perform a number at an awards show before I had seen the movie or really knew much about the musical and decided then I had to see it

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 03-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Elite Fan

I was kind of impressed with some of the moves Catherine Zeta-Jones did. Some of them looks like they gotta hurt.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 03-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

She has a musical theatre background so she seemed better prepared than some others.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Supreme Fan

Yeah - she really seemed well-versed and very good at what she was doing. She fit the part perfectly, imo. Renee Zellweger was good too, although she was so skinny for the role and had some pretty tiny outfits, it was kind of distracting.

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~