Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Loyal Fan

Hey everyone!

So happy to be here! I've just went over an internet-less week! (I don't even know how I survived! )

I'm happy because I have so much to catch up with: the thread (I've scanned it quickly and I'm already salivating over the analysis I see is going on here!), I haven't even seen last weeks' episode and, by the flailing over next eps' promo (which I haven't seen either ) I see there is more Shamyawesomeness in our future!

I also have to catch up with so many fics actualizations (double ) and, BTW, Thank you so much everyone for reading and reviewing my first fics! (and there are more on the way ) I'll be replying to those who left comments at ff.net shortly!

And, of course, a very warm welcome to the newbies Chloe and Zipporah!

Edit: Kath, you just quoted Zokka?

I so love the guy!
Rockyele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by genki-escapist (View Post)
To quote Sokka: Flamey-o Meg, flamey-o.
A TBBT fan and a avatar fan? Also my favorite fanfiction author? Dear lord, you are being too awesome right now. I might overdose.
zipporah grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Total Fan

Added you, zipporah grace!

Linda!!! You must watch that promo ASAP!
moyrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Master Fan

May I please be added to the list?

I'm no good at analyzation, but I definitely agree with all the points made about Shamy in this thread!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I just watched the promo! I'm so excited.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Addicted Fan

I have been posting very little and at times even some of them are insignificant. But since tomorrow there will be a new episode, and I do hope it will haul more posters back, I will try to be coherent again.

First, it's official. Tomorrow will be

DAY!
Not to enrage Momma Lio but I used a gif to show how Shelly approves of Spaghetti.

You know what's funny? I posted the promo in a local bbt forum and someone said there that Sheldon's love for pasta is a bit Filipino in a way. Wherever you go here, spaghetti is served with slices of hotdogs and no child will eat pasta that doesn't have those pieces of that processed meat. My mom makes spaghetti that way. Even the McDonald's here. With tons of sugar. Filipinos eat sweet spaghetti. With hotdogs. Don't ask.

And speaking of Filipino, I agree with Kath. Sheldon is VERY PAKIPOT (pronounced as /pa/-/kee/-/pot/). Another good example of being pakipot is when your classmate offers you food then you decline the offer, knowing deep inside inside you are very hungry. Your friend will insist on offering and then at the end, you'd actually accept the food being shared.

Regarding Sheldon and Marriage, I agree with Lio that his opinion regarding it is still a mystery. He did not make any comments on rebuffing it nor he did not mention anything positive or a mention of acceptance. Yesterday, I was trying to rewatch THGG (because I was gif-fing some of their eye coitus) and that he never mentioned anything against the engagement of Howard and Bernadette there. (And I'm still laughing in my head whenever I hear him say "sexual prowess").

But I do think that recently he has, at least once, thought of himself getting married, with what he told Howard at the Stag Party.
"Howard, I always thought you would be the last one of us to ever get married because you are so short and unappealing."

Shoot me or not, I am inclined to think about something regarding Lio's post, post no.#173. He though of himself ABOVE the things that are associated with the average human beings. But since Amy entered his life, there are some things inside him that were somehow stirred and that he is now trying to reconsider his stance regarding those things. If there were proofs that he mentioned something about being against marriage back in seasons 1-3, then I would like to think (or maybe put at the back of my head if a lot are going to refute this anyway) that his relationship with Amy changed his stance regarding marriage. Or maybe that line from 5.22 was just his drunken Freudian slip. If it was, then he was actually considering it at some point...

Regarding what Kiru said in post#179, I think that line from Sheldon meant he doesn't like the ceremony, but he did not mention anything about disliking marriage per se. Remember TPGE? The time he came with Amy was that he thought there would be people his age, and that Leonard ended up her date for the next wedding. He didn't say anything that he dislikes it. Only that maybe he hates celebrations and such. Especially those gatherings mean there would be plenty of people...

Sheldon and Romance. For starters, this one is a bit absurd for some people. But for me, his version of romance is uniquely his. Like what moyra said,
Quote:
So far, we've heard Amy's version of waxing poetic about Sheldon in TWV. I thought it was cute and endearing, some people thought she was whining. Meanwhile, Sheldon has been mostly making off hand comments that reveal what he thinks about Amy but apparently very few people are paying enough attention.
Everyone has his or her way of expressing romance. Sheldon has his own. So does Amy. And theirs really do click. Like when Sheldon presented the Relationship Agreement, she thought it was "so romantic". Only a girl who is in the same league as his would think of it as such. Frankly speaking, no regular girl would even like the thought of a 31-page agreement for their relationship.

Quote:
And I think we can all agree here, that Sheldon has deep feelings for Amy. Even before they were of a romantic nature (assuming they are...which I do), his feelings were so deep that he went out and bought 25 cats to replace her...and that's not to mention that they had only actually been hanging out for like a month...I believe all prior contact, excepting the initial contact at the coffee house, was via texting or email...I don't think they even skyped for those first few months.
I have nothing to add to that but to say the ever mentioned, "I agree."

Oh, before I forgot, the line Momma Lio quoted from Mary, "He'll die before 60 but his love will be true." It's from The Rhinitis Revelation where she was making something that has mushroom soup and cheese and was telling it to Penny. It's either a) She didn't know her husband was involved with a bottle blonde or b) maybe she knows but maybe George has reassured her and has apologized about it to her.

Quote:
His relationship with Amy, finding this person to whom he can actually relate, and with whom he finds acceptance, trust, companionship and a certain amount of peace, has been helping to quiet a lot of those fears and anxieties, and the result of that is that he is blossoming as a person. Which is why we see him changing all over the place - loosening up, feeling more confident, smiling more, laughing more, joking more. I love it whenever Meg uses the phrase, "testing the waters," because that's precisely what he's doing with his bongo drums, wandering over to Amy's place and staying the night, drinking at the Stag party, allowing Penny to cut his hair, and whatnot. He's moving towards happiness and away from many of his fears due to this relationship. Amy consistently gives him a safe place to land, and a safe place to be himself. That's starting to have a powerful effect on him.

I think that, in the long run, the binding aspect of marriage, the true and total commitment and security that it would bring, would be something Sheldon would deeply treasure and enjoy. Marriage would be even more binding than his Relationship Agreement; it would be legal, it would be forever, it would be settling down into something permanent and secure. Sheldon would take to that like a cat to cream or a fish to water. It would make him deeply and supremely happy to have that type of security - it's really, in many ways, the type of security he looks to create in both his Relationship and Roommate agreements.
Beautiful post is beautiful.

I think Sheldon acknowledges the legality and formality of these constructs. Why would he notarize their Relationship Agreement? I think it's because he wanted IT to be official, and even legal of some sort (but we all know what Moyra said about notarizing one's own documents...). Marriage, like what was quoted above, is more secured, legal, official, forever. And I think he does approve of it. Being raised in a Christian family, he is not comfortable with the use of swear words, and I have a feeling that Christian value of the marriage being a sacred thing has seeped into him too.
Of course, that only applies if he DOES want their relationship to be MORE secure, legal, and be forever.

Oh, and I almost forgot, get well soon Momma.
Mommy Pom, I hope you see the next episode soon.
Hello Zipporah! I love your story, Emotion Approximation. And great first post by the way!I love what you said about his confrontation with Howard and Leonard because that's actually what some of us thinks about that scene too. Some say he's mad that his lego fun time and physics time was cut short because of what had transpired, but really he's just covering up how he's mad at how Amy was feeling depressed. He doesn't like Amy to be depressed. That won't do for him.
Yes. Sheldon had his full-on laugh. TWICE. Thanks for pointing that out, as it was another detail that not all casual fans notice at times. Also, yes. He totally has an AMY FACE.

Meg. I hope you don't mind but I shared in tumblr your 12 points. I am crying at how it's all sinking in. Call me touchy-feely but yes, I am so touched with the realization that Sheldon is romantically in love with Amy based on the scientific proofs.

Momma Lio, there was this talk about Shamy shippers (and Lenny shippers for that matter) being unable to "prove" how plausible Sheldon and Amy (And Leonard and Penny) as a couple besides the fact that they're canon... so maybe that's what Kath was talking about.

Last edited by rubyanjel; 05-03-2012 at 08:27 AM Reason: gah. too much errors!
rubyanjel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:19 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyanjel (View Post)
I think Sheldon acknowledges the legality and formality of these constructs. Why would he notarize their Relationship Agreement? I think it's because he wanted IT to be official, and even legal of some sort (but we all know what Moyra said about notarizing one's own documents...). Marriage, like what was quoted above, is more secured, legal, official, forever. And I think he does approve of it. Being raised in a Christian family, he is not comfortable with the use of swear words, and I have a feeling that Christian value of the marriage being a sacred thing has seeped into him too.
Fascinating things to think about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyele (View Post)
So happy to be here! I've just went over an internet-less week! (I don't even know how I survived! )
Sounds frightful--I'm glad you survived.
xmarisolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyele (View Post)
Edit: Kath, you just quoted Zokka?

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/phot...98-490-337.gif

I so love the guy!
Welcome back, Linda!

I sure did, because Sokka's great and ATLA is fantastic!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipporah grace (View Post)
A TBBT fan and a avatar fan? Also my favorite fanfiction author? Dear lord, you are being too awesome right now. I might overdose.
Why, thank you. *bow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie Garcia (View Post)
May I please be added to the list?

I'm no good at analyzation, but I definitely agree with all the points made about Shamy in this thread!
Hello! Moyra will add you when she comes back. [Moyra, make it so! ]

Well, plenty of times I just find myself posting: "I agree" and that's fine! We just like chatting about Shamy here.

And I know we haven't completely exhausted the Sheldon-and-marriage-relationship-sex discussion [that last part... it keeps coming up ], but there's anothing topic of discussion at hand, we can do both simultaneously right? Because we're awesome!!

Manic Pixie Dream Girl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Manic Pixie Dream Girl - Television Tropes & Idioms

Amy is Sheldon's MPDG, yes/no/maybe/how dare you, only Zooey D can play MPDG?

Please discuss.

EDIT: Or not.

"If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
Kath/Anthea // fanfiction // tumblr

Last edited by genki-escapist; 05-03-2012 at 07:33 AM
genki-escapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:57 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:

Please discuss.
Okay. Here's my thoughts into it.

The implications od MPDG means that she will be part of the "hero"'s life but will not end up with him. I know there are nice stories portraying MPDGs but Amy being one? I DON'T THINK SO.

First off, what are these EPIC analyses for if in the end, they won't be together? Amy being an MPDG means Shamy is not endgame and you all know how I feel about it. *trying to withhold self from posting gifs to properly show my facial reaction right now*

If the writers planned to make a MPDG for Sheldon, then they had plenty of chances with the previously mentioned female characters that were on the show.

And, like I always said, AMY IS NOT A TOOOOOOOL! If she was, then she shouldn't have started as a girl with a similarity with Sheldon. They should have made her spunky, with colored hair (Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind, anyone?).

I'll discuss more later once I get back from my sister's swimming practice.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:38 AM
Dedicated Fan

I know I am super late to this party, but that said, I also liked Lio's (and meg's) analysis from yesterday. I think Lio presented very well the factors in play in the future of their relationship, namely, the obvious conclusions that we can draw (like that sex intimidates him because he doesn't know about it and the fact that sex is the definition of total vulnerability, two things that he avoids like the plague) and the factors that are still open for debate (like his willingness to define their relationship further through actual marriage). I agree that (left to his own devices) he could easily be in a platonic relationship with her forever. But I think one of the great things about Amy is that she challenges him, either directly (you need to treat me better) or subtly (she goes on a date with Stuart, forcing him to comfront how he feels about her). I also believe that an honest analysis of marriage on his part would make him like it. It appeals to his conservative social values and his real need and appreciation for security and fidelity in his relationships. Sometimes that need manifests itself as jealousy, but to Sheldon's credit he's a loyal friend as well.

I also liked meg's psych breakdown of the Shamy. I especially am going to keep an eye out for ways that he works her into his goals. That's something I've always liked and it was nice to see it mentioned on your list.

Quote:

Please discuss.

EDIT: Or not.
Thanks for bringing this up, because it's fun to compare the Shamy to other relationships and fictional tropes we've all seen before.

I didn't read those links you've posted (at least not today) but I'm familiar with the term and pretty sure I may have read both of those articles on other occasions. Regardless, to the question of whether Amy is one, i would say HELL to the NAW! Mostly because I see that as a derogatory term for what amounts to a Mary Sue that the official writers have created. Amy and Sheldon have a "warts and all" relationship, and like meg said, a "stirring the oatmeal" kind of romance. Amy is not some shiny, perfect, bright-eyed fairy that listens to the right bands, knows all the right sushi places and leaves the bodies of broken boys in her wake. In fact, she's pretty much the exact opposite of that. And one thing I really like about her is, she's confident enough to be vulnerable in her relationship. They say (don't ask me who "they" are), but they say that if you aren't willing to be humiliated for love than you aren't worthy of love. And that's true, I think. True love is all or nothing, and Amy is not afraid to say "I want you to love me, approve of me, and dote on me" to a man that is famously (and even pathologically) egocentric. Why? Because she's willing to take a chance on him because she believes in him. And I'm betting all that she will get a return on her investment because Sheldon, regardless of how he felt previously, is warming to the idea of having a person like that in his life and being that person for Amy.

Last edited by xmarisolx; 05-03-2012 at 01:56 AM
Old 05-03-2012, 01:53 AM
Dedicated Fan

oops, double post
Old 05-03-2012, 04:37 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmarisolx (View Post)
I agree that (left to his own devices) he could easily be in a platonic relationship with her forever. But I think one of the great things about Amy is that she challenges him, either directly (you need to treat me better) or subtly (she goes on a date with Stuart, forcing him to comfront how he feels about her). I also believe that an honest analysis of marriage on his part would make him like it. It appeals to his conservative social values and his real need and appreciation for security and fidelity in his relationships. Sometimes that need manifests itself as jealousy, but to Sheldon's credit he's a loyal friend as well.
Thank you for posting this, Twin Unit #2, because you're pushing this whole analysis towards the next step - the Amy effect. Amy does challenge Sheldon and she's the one driving things in the relationship forward. (I don't think that she meant for her action of dating Stuart to specifically manipulate Sheldon, at least not in the beginning. But she definitely saw the effect it had on him and used that to her advantage. Crafty gal.) Sheldon could probably remain happily on any given level of the relationship he's been on indefinitely, but it's always been Amy that keeps pushing him forward an inch at a time. Maybe he would never think of marriage as a concept on his own, but eventually Amy will nudge him to it, and if the past is any indication, he'll stew over it for awhile and finally decide to make the leap. And after making the leap, he'll find that he likes it. That's pretty much been the pattern of their relationship so far. Amy is the one who is not going to allow it to remain stagnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmarisolx (View Post)
I didn't read those links you've posted (at least not today) but I'm familiar with the term Manic Pixie Dream Girl and pretty sure I may have read both of those articles on other occasions. Regardless, to the question of whether Amy is one, i would say HELL to the NAW! Mostly because I see that as a derogatory term for what amounts to a Mary Sue that the official writers have created. Amy and Sheldon have a "warts and all" relationship, and like meg said, a "stirring the oatmeal" kind of romance. Amy is not some shiny, perfect, bright-eyed fairy that listens to the right bands, knows all the right sushi places and leaves the bodies of broken boys in her wake.
Unfortunately, this MPDG argument is taking place both here and over in Mayim/Amy's thread. I've taken a voracious stance against the idea that Amy is an MPDG over in the other thread, where the topic was originally introduced. If you have time, stop on by and lend your support. I could use a "hell to the naw" backup from a twin. Or two.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Extreme Fan

Oh wow, so I've been sitting for the last half hour reading all of your wonderful analyses...Meg, Lio, Marisol, Anjel, Kath, Zippy G (love that), Gem....just WOW!

And LINDA!!! I MISSED YOU SO!!!

Long love the Shamy....tonight's the night :-)
Old 05-03-2012, 07:17 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionne (View Post)
Unfortunately, this MPDG argument is taking place both here and over in Mayim/Amy's thread. I've taken a voracious stance against the idea that Amy is an MPDG over in the other thread, where the topic was originally introduced. If you have time, stop on by and lend your support. I could use a "hell to the naw" backup from a twin. Or two.
Well, Lio, like I said over there....I your post from over there and 100% agree.

I believe Amy can survive without Sheldon being there, but I do love them together so much more
Co-Host of The Bazinga Cast|"You belong with me." Olivia to Peter
Thanks to hilery00 for the icon!
kbcountry37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbcountry37 (View Post)
Well, Lio, like I said over there....I your post from over there and 100% agree.

I believe Amy can survive without Sheldon being there, but I do love them together so much more
I think she can too, they have developed her character so much, she could survive w/o Sheldon but they'd most likely play it as a 'them trying to get back together' sort of thing..

But I don't even want to think about that : Shamy forever
Reply   Post New Thread