Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 04:59 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by megfsc
Ok wow... much to discuss here!

First of all: the Shamy book--

I really like the way that Nicole approached the idea. We could seriously pick apart every juicy bit of their relationship in a properly cited scientific research-based analysis. I like to think of it as making a case for their love...using research and science! (Dr. Cooper and Dr. Fowler would be so proud )

Seriously, we could title it something like:

"The Case for Shamy: Examining the Scientific Evidence that Love is There, Whether or Not We Can See It (But We Totally Can)"

That's just pulled out of my behind there, but hopefully you can get the idea.

We could divide subjects/chapters like this:

I. Intro- quick overview of the common functions, dynamics, and purposes of the TBBT. Story leading to Sheldon and Amy's meeting, the beginning of it all. Followed by thesis statement.

II. Sheldon-this would be devoted to the detailed analysis of his character and the numerous psychological/pathological and historical facets of his character. His childhood. Why is he this way? Breakdown of social rules and order he sets.

III. Amy- same type of character analysis as Sheldon, although there is much less info to deal with here...this would be a much shorter section, but equally important.

IV. Sheldon and Amy Similarities and Differences--what makes them truly similar at their core...what makes them different...what do these similarities and differences mean to the establishment of a relationship.

V. Relationship Metamorphosis- Sort of a history of their development into the state they are in now-relationship wise.

VI. Psychosocial implications for both Sheldon and Amy thus far caused by the development of their relationship--how they feel, how they react...how they feel without knowing it, based on observations (ie giddy Sheldon)

VII. Emotional/Intellectual connection between and what this means for love and the lasting of a healthy romantic relationship.

VIII. Physical attraction and sex- what we know about the chemistry between them, and possibilities for physical intimacy in the future, and what would that mean.

IX. Other Shamy phenomena- such as eye coitus and clothing colors

X. Conclusion- reaffirming the case for the true love and potential for a successful relationship

So all of the sections could operate under the idea of stressing what this means relative to love. We could, as Nicole suggested, heavily cite each section with scientific research about love, backed up by canon.

For fun, we could add an addendum with recommended reading (as in fic) and art. Then we could include a section of our personal ramblings about it...no citations necessarily.

These are just my initial thoughts, and of course I could be going way way overboard here...reading over it, I can see that I am starting to sound a little Sheldon-y, but this wouldn't be the first time I have been accused of that lol Writing psych research papers is sort of a second love of mine, so please please stop me if I am getting too carried away. Please give suggestions if anyone wants to do it a different way, or has some better ideas for chapters Again this is just my initial thoughts, I am curious as to what everyone else has in mind for it!

Oh and Lio, based on your post, can we assume that you would call dibs on the sex chapter? EDIT: oh, wait, I see you have claimed a Pants chapter for yourself That's even better! There is some serious Freudian S#!* you can get into there!

Ok...moving on...

The thought of getting in Sheldon's pants makes me immensely happy...oh wait ...no, um...I mean not me, but someone else...err...like um...Amy...sooo yeah..uh I'm going to quit there while I'm ahead *fanning myself* Moving on...

While I agree that Sheldon is probably unconsciously suppressing/diminishing these changing feelings, I still can't help but believe that he is at some level aware, or in the process of becoming aware. The girlfriend comment from Penny showed me that he is thinking about it. Also the drunk scene at the liquor store parking lot, "What would it take?" He was thinking about it. Those little cognitive wheels have to be churning for him, and I think he has to be somewhat aware. It is just easier for him now to try to lock it down. As the relationship moves forward, I think we are going to see it get less easy. And of course, I believe that while he might resist at first, he will realize that his object of resistance (Amy) is the one thing that grounds him to come to major personal realizations. He will need her to be his rock, and will have to realize that he can't keep resisting...all part of the inevitably hilarious meltdown I fear he will eventually reach.
OMG!!!! I this post!!!!!!

Especially the part about the book....I so agree with the outline!

I'm a history buff myself, and could take on the chapters about Sheldon and Amy's pasts. Amy might be harder, you pointed that out, but it can be done.

This post made me smile so much!
Co-Host of The Bazinga Cast|"You belong with me." Olivia to Peter
Thanks to hilery00 for the icon!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:16 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionne (View Post)
Anyway. I think Nicole, Meg and Marisol (she's in, right?) should be the top dogs on this project. Nicole's got the level head and knows everything TBBT backwards and forwards, and by her fan fic is a champion writer, Meg has the mind to organize this thing, and Marisol is our most experienced writer with chapters (I think), and she also seems level-headed. And they're all cool. So. I'll try not to be too much of a loose cannon and problem child. I promise. Just tell me what to do. And pay me in candy.
I never really said it, but I'm in. I have a preference for topics related to psychology, fanfic, sex, background... basically the same BS I ramble on about here unsolicited. Also, I'm open to doing copy-editing.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:21 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by megfsc (View Post)
I guess this is what is feels like to be LiOWNED lol...I suppose I have my moments of whimsy...or I suffer from Multiple Personality Disorder Only time will tell lol. (Full disclosure: my mother never had me tested)
LiOWNED. Yes. Damn skippy you have been LiOWNED. (Is this now a thing?)

Pomita - *Excellent* use of Brobdingnagian. Sorry about your office mate. Please don't get fired.

Back to Shamy - I have to say that one of my favorite parts about the last episode was in the scene with Howard, Penny and Sheldon. When Penny asks Sheldon how things are going with Amy, and he's like, "Oh, better than good." I love the fact that he wanted to give the impression that his relationship with Amy was not just "fine" or "satisfactory," but actually pretty amazing. Even though he was lying, he was trying to act like the relationship was something to brag about, which... aw. So... what's the word I'm looking for? I don't know, I'm reaching for something Marisol has said about Sheldon being comfortable taking their relationship "more mainstream." That whole concept.

It's such a radical departure from "she's not my girlfriend," like he was horrified at the idea of having a girlfriend, and wanted to shut the whole topic down, to being able to say, even if it was a lie, "our relationship is better than good."

Last edited by Lionne; 02-21-2012 at 05:27 AM
Old 02-21-2012, 05:31 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:

Pomita - *Excellent* use of Brobdingnagian. Sorry about your office mate. Please don't get fired.
Thank you! Will try not to.

Quote:
Back to Shamy - I have to say that one of my favorite parts about the last episode was in the scene with Howard, Penny and Sheldon. When Penny asks Sheldon how things are going with Amy, and he's like, "Oh, better than good." I love the fact that he wanted to give the impression that his relationship with Amy was not just "fine" or "satisfactory," but actually pretty amazing. Even though he was lying, he was trying to act like the relationship was something to brag about, which... aw. So... what's the word I'm looking for? I don't know, I'm reaching for something Marisol has said about Sheldon being comfortable taking their relationship "more mainstream."

It's such a radical departure from "she's not my girlfriend," like he was horrified at the idea of having a girlfriend, and wanted to shut the whole topic down, to being able to say, even if it was a lie, "our relationship is better than good."
I noted this too. It sounded like something a 'typical boyfriend' would say, and hence not typical of Sheldon. He wanted to put up a 'great relationship' front to his friends, even at a time when they were going through a tiff - a stiff-upper-lip guy stance. And that was so sweet because it was Sheldon, the one who doesn't care about social conventions, who said it. He's clearly intending to do it properly.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:32 AM
Passionate Fan

As far as our great Shamy book goes, I might as well say that my interest goes to the Relationship Metamorphosis section and the other related aspects section. While I think psychology and scientific analysis is interesting, I'd probably do better focusing on a textual analysis. So... yeah.

Quote:
Honey, it has ALWAYS been a thing.

Quote:
YES.

So, uh, ladies, in the other thread not a few people have mentioned sometimes just needing to sit back and take in everything that's being said and being unable to add anything momentarily... that's happening to me. I'm going to start talking again once my brain gets over the "Wow, awesome, this thread is smoking epic" mode. Cause, uh, normally I never shut up anyway.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:47 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Oh yeah...I hereby declare it a thing. (Although I am pretty certain it was a thing before my sweeping declaration )

Quote:
Back to Shamy - I have to say that one of my favorite parts about the last episode was in the scene with Howard, Penny and Sheldon. When Penny asks Sheldon how things are going with Amy, and he's like, "Oh, better than good." I love the fact that he wanted to give the impression that his relationship with Amy was not just "fine" or "satisfactory," but actually pretty amazing. Even though he was lying, he was trying to act like the relationship was something to brag about, which... aw. So... what's the word I'm looking for? I don't know, I'm reaching for something Marisol has said about Sheldon being comfortable taking their relationship "more mainstream." That whole concept.

Awwww indeed. It stood out to me as well just because it is so "normal". It wasn't some smarty-pants remark that we would expect from him. This is such a good example of him quietly accepting a concept that he was completely rigid about not too long ago. It's just so so sweet, not to mention a perfect display of personal growth for him in regards to her. (excellent point for the book as well)
Old 02-21-2012, 06:25 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Oh this is so a thing!

Quote:
Oh this just makes my heart swell. :') So true.

I love how in the scene at the cheesecake factory with Howard and Penny he is so clearly hating everything. "I have 10 fingers and 10 toes, if I tell you a story about every one of them we'll be here all day. Let's just move on." and *that look* before "social convention is stupid."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomita (View Post)
Oh, I wasn't serious at all. Then Nicole made it serious. Then Lio made it drop-dead funny. Then Meg made it serious again. And then Meg started talking of night-time editions and we all flipped out again..
YOU ALL ARE AWESOME! ALL HAIL THE AWESOME POSTERS OF THE SHAMY THREAD!

Quote:
About Sheldon I think that he gets down to a little conscious analysis of his emotions when they're bad. That is, when they're hurting him. So even if he's clearly over the moon with happiness and giggling like a child and wearing nice clothes, I'm positive he has no clue that it can have anything to do with Amy or his feelings for her. When he's down, on the other hand - he analyses his jealousy (we don't know how) and reaches the epiphany of a relationship upgrade. He analyses his sadness after their fight and decides to take Leonard's advice, then happens to choose the best possible gift for her (we don't know how). He analyses his disappointment when he fails in her lab and decides that he needs to go and apologize and join her again (again, we don't know how).

So every time we're given his actions which result from moments of trouble between him and Amy; we're never told what went through his mind, but as the results show, he finds a place every time which pleases both him and Amy. This has to mean that a) he understands her very well, and b) he understands his own feelings for her enough to be able to act on them in positive and sometimes life-changing ways.

I'm sure he's still far from calling it 'being in love' (perhaps he never will), but he certainly knows that some things are going on between him and Amy that he's never experienced before.
Very good points...I shall have to take a minute to mull this over...

The Shamy Thread according to Justine:
Hmm...I have this thought have you guys noticed...
OH! YES! YOU'RE SO RIGHT! Let me expand on the subject! and/or flail over this
also known as, AH! That makes sense, and I completely agree. Now let me over analyze your analysis.
I LOVE SHAMY! I LOVE YOU ALL! LET'S GET MARRIED! KEYBOARD SMASH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megfsc (View Post)
It first hit me when I saw The Ornithophobia Diffusion. When Sheldon warmed up to Lovey Dovey he said "...to think, all that time living in fear, for what?"
When he said that, I thought, wow, what an oddly profound and insightful remark from Sheldon. I think Lovey Dovey actually taught him a great deal about confronting his fears. One of his greatest fears is the loss of control and order that he would experience with a relationship with Amy.

Shortly after he made that remark about his fears, we hear Amy making the frustrated "hollow bones" remark. So in the same scene we see Sheldon learning about conquering fears, followed by Amy (the representation of one of his biggest fears) expressing concern over the lack of romance between them...that is when the idea -baby was planted in my mind-uterus (if I can borrow from HIMYM). That scene just seems too fishy for me not to think that it was purposefully there to establish that Sheldon is growing and will continue to evolve, especially in regards to his relationship with Amy.
Oh dear lord, what greatness have you found. o_o
I would have never noticed this had you not mentioned anything. Now I'm thinking this must have been the point to this plot line. Best quote: Is this your bird? not anymore.

massive lulz @ that Raj quote, Meg

Oh also, I have to say that it should definitely reflect the posts here, and by that I mean that it should be both funny/whimsical and serious analysis.
I can't wait for this to happen.
I knew checking before class was a good idea. I predict that I should have loads to catch up on this evening. Which is equal parts and o_o
Old 02-21-2012, 06:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
It first hit me when I saw The Ornithophobia Diffusion. When Sheldon warmed up to Lovey Dovey he said "...to think, all that time living in fear, for what?"

When he said that, I thought, wow, what an oddly profound and insightful remark from Sheldon. I think Lovey Dovey actually taught him a great deal about confronting his fears. One of his greatest fears is the loss of control and order that he would experience with a relationship with Amy.

Shortly after he made that remark about his fears, we hear Amy making the frustrated "hollow bones" remark. So in the same scene we see Sheldon learning about conquering fears, followed by Amy (the representation of one of his biggest fears) expressing concern over the lack of romance between them...that is when the idea -baby was planted in my mind-uterus (if I can borrow from HIMYM). That scene just seems too fishy for me not to think that it was purposefully there to establish that Sheldon is growing and will continue to evolve, especially in regards to his relationship with Amy.

But yes, moving forward from this point, it is very difficult to predict Sheldon's actions. Therein lies part of the problem for him. I doubt that he can even predict his actions at this point because his brain is beginning to function in a way it never has before...he is in love for the first time and this is all new territory. It would bother him deeply to think that his actions are at all impulsive or indicative of this new emotional state. It's going to all be part of the realization for him.
I love this! I hadn't even thought of it that way, just that Amy was being unintentionally funny, but this post makes so much sense!

Old 02-21-2012, 06:38 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexx (View Post)
I love how in the scene at the cheesecake factory with Howard and Penny he is so clearly hating everything. "I have 10 fingers and 10 toes, if I tell you a story about every one of them we'll be here all day. Let's just move on." and *that look* before "social convention is stupid."
Oh yes, he was definitely in evading-all-company mode there, ready to sit alone and mull over his finger (and heart) wounds. He wasn't pleased at all to find Howard and Penny there, all ready to cross-question him.

Quote:
The Shamy Thread according to Justine:
Hmm...I have this thought have you guys noticed...
OH! YES! YOU'RE SO RIGHT! Let me expand on the subject! and/or flail over this
also known as, AH! That makes sense, and I completely agree. Now let me over analyze your analysis.
I LOVE SHAMY! I LOVE YOU ALL! LET'S GET MARRIED! KEYBOARD SMASH!
LOL this is so us

Sorry, for this, who's Justine?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:41 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Sorry, for this, who's Justine?
She's Justine. ^^;

And Justine, how many times do I have to tell you. WE'RE MARRIED!!!!

Meg: I will never look at 'hollow bones' the same way again.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:53 AM
Addicted Fan

Jex is Justine? - I'm so sorry.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:13 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Jex is Justine? - I'm so sorry.
Maybe we should include a "username-real name" Shamy shippers list in our Shamy book. Goodness knows I'm the first person here who needs that...
Old 02-21-2012, 07:30 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by genki-escapist (View Post)
Maybe we should include a "username-real name" Shamy shippers list in our Shamy book. Goodness knows I'm the first person here who needs that...
That would be appropriate, given that none of us have eidetic memories. Also, when TPTB read our book, they're going to have to look us up.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
#29. Where do we go from here?

First off, credit to Musickat18 for the thread's title. All Hail Musickat18!

Quote:
Alright, time for a Shamy round up. Let’s examine what’s on the table here, shall we? Current topics:

The Shamy Book: Okay, I still don’t get what we’re going to write about. Is someone going to come up with an introductory paragraph and thesis sentence and then assign chapters? Are we going to host an internal debate in our book? Are we going to go back over all the threads and make up a list of best posts and mush them altogether and see what themes come up that we want to build out into a book about... Shamy? Shipping? Shipping Shamy specifically? Help me out here, or I will write a book that breaks down like this:
Ok, I before I get back to catching up on the 2 frakking pages of Shamy awesomeness that was written while I was sleeping, I just wanted to say and
Old 02-21-2012, 07:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think we can worry about the book once we get to hiatus. Let's just focus on Shamyawesomeness until then, and aside from organization, the book will pretty much write itself.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread