Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Not entirely OT...

My team at work meet every week in a conference room. We pretty much all have seats where we typically sit. If someone chances to sit in my seat, I hover over them, look menacing, and say "You're in my spot." My co-workers understand that I'm a big fan of TBBT, so they all laugh.

I think sometimes people sit in my spot just to get me to do this.

~Heidi
Old 04-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
Yep, me too. To paraphrase someone from earlier (or perhaps it was another thread), the ILY is no longer a matter of if but when. And I think it will rock both Sheldon's and Amy's worlds even more than the SIK.
I agree! I've been expecting an ILY since the moment Sheldon said "That's the most romantic thing you've ever said to me" to Amy. If he's starting to understand romance, or the notion of it, then romantic love is not far off.

"Amy's lips tasted like the brownies we had for dessert"
Old 04-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijopi11 (View Post)
....I think the reason I write so much is because I can't word my feelings in a single paragraph like most others.
Keep writing them!

Also, I have a "spot" at my work conference table too! I've even had someone apologize to me for sitting there once during a meeting. With my mouth I said it was okay but with my eyes I said "I hate you."

I still can't get over the happiness Sheldon has in kissing her. If we count the times he spoke as "breaking contact".. then he kissed her 3 times!.. Next time I need 3 sets of 3's!!

Old 04-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh, right! We can't forget Sheldon's love of repetition.

I just had a plot bunny jump in my head where Sheldon proposes, but insists to Amy that they get married on March 3, 3003 (03/03/03). To which, of course, Amy goes . Sheldon replies, "Well, it will actually be our intelligences transferred into cybernetic organisms getting married."

~Heidi
Old 04-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Total Fan

Here I am reading all these beautiful long posts, wanting to say something but it would be very repetitive of everything said.

Sheldon, to me, has gone through the most growth from when we first saw him in the pilot, completely against human relationships and physical contact, to a maturing young man in a adult relationship and a stable job, willing to kiss his girlfriend on occasion without any qualms.

To me, seeing him mature has been the part I have most enjoyed, its one of the many reasons he is my favorite character. Not only do i think Amy played a role in this growth, but the expansion of his social circle in general. I think that every one of his friends has helped him mature to some degree, obviously some more than the others.

But Amy. Amy has been the definite catalyst in his growing up as a person. She has completely turned his world on its side and is slowly pushing him into situations where he would normally be uncomfortable, but with her he's willing to take that step.

I think deep down in Sheldon is a man, scared of the possibility of his and Amy's relationship ending up bitter like the one of his parents. For this reason, I think he's willing to take chances with her that he wouldn't with anybody else.

Its one of the many reasons why I adore this relationship

~ Katie
Old 04-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
This really has been a significant theme this season. Let's not forget that the season started with Sheldon finding out that his best friend, Leonard, would rather spend time with his girlfriend after coming back from four months at sea than with Sheldon. We all would consider that perfectly normal, but for Sheldon, it was HUGE. He's no longer the center of Leonard's universe as he always thought he was. Then Amy pointed out a defect in Sheldon's favorite movie. And I don't believe that Sheldon is the sort who can simply wave such a thing away. The movie is ruined for him and there is no turning back from that. Right after that, there is the epic fail with the discovery of a new element that wasn't. In that case, real, legitimate and public humiliation about something that he MOST prides himself on - his career and his intelligence. Sheldon's hero, Professor Proton, initially consults Leonard - not Sheldon - about his paper. Then the whole revelation that his mother is actually just as human as everyone else.
I love this! I also want to add the development of Sheldon and Howard's relationship - how after 10 years they've finally grown to really accept one another and voice their respect.

And when Sheldon views birth and life from his nephew being born. Also, how he bonds over beers and football with a father-like figure, Bernie's Dad. And then he kisses his girl, TWICE!

It has been an emotional roller coaster of a ride this season with Sheldon and I love it! Keep the progress coming! It's beautiful

Old 04-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Master Fan

I love the ongoing discussion and I wish I could add something but right now I'm sitting here nodding and agreeing with all of your thoughts and regretting that I'm to tired right now to put my thoughts into coherent english sentences

~Susanne ~
Old 04-05-2014, 01:58 PM
New Fan

I agree that all the characters are slowly being matured-at it's heart it's a show about four men and three women growing up, and it's great to see. An ILY will come-hopefully in the series finale and it will be beautiful!
Old 04-05-2014, 04:02 PM
Part-Time Fan

I also like how the relationship between Howard and Sheldon has been getting plenty of attention. Like I said, I love how the writers are beginning to become more mature themselves in their writing, with the evolution of the characters mattering just as much as the humor. I loved the 'howard doesn't have a doctorate' joke as much as the next guy, but I also love how we actually get to see what this sort of 'harmless' joking DOES over time. With everyone constantly putting him down for being 'just an engineer' I think he's forgotten that being an engineer is actually a big deal. Not a lot of people are capable of that, and having a Masters means you're actually pretty smart. It's interesting that, having entered the AREA of science, that means his peers judge him on that note. Penny doens't get nearly as much bashing for her not being a genious because it's not her field of expertise, and everyone- even Sheldon- respects that. But science is SUPPOSED to be Howards field of expertise, thus, even though he's actually very smart, he's considered not very smart considering what field he's taken on. I think Leonard has a similar dilemma. He's very smart (I think he's collaborated with Sheldon's work, which means Sheldon certainly has confidence in him) in any case, Sheldon invited Leonard to go with him on his trip to the north pole, proving that he believes Leonard is capable of working on the same project as him, even though Sheldon was doing the real intellectual work. We all know Leonard is smart, but he grew up in a VERY successful family. All of his siblings are MUCH more successful than him. That must lead to Leonard feeling he isn't good enough, even though he's actually VERY capable.

This sort of confidence issue with Howard is nice to see since during the majority of the first seasons, he was portrayed as basically a science geek who was almost sniffing around for a girl. I'm STILL surprised he married considering the time he told Leonard that moving in with a women was a big mistake. He compares it to eating the same egg over and over. That's why I like the Howadette romance- it's more of a story about changing someone sex-crazed like Howard into a man who's willing to give up his old ways for the sake of fully understanding and getting to know his girl, Bernadette.

Anyway, I liked how Howard going to space almost seemed to bring his confidence issues to surface. He uses it often as a source of recognition and as a cal for attention because he clearly believes its the only special thing about him. I'm happy that's getting explored more this season instead of just slapping a band-aid over it like I thought they were going to do. Howard tries to get to know Sheldon personally and to be friends, but he finds it difficult bcause of how Sheldon can be. And I think Sheldon is actually trying to be friends with Howard back, even eager to do so, but being Sheldon he just simply cannot come across as nicely as he would like. As the episodes continue to be released, I'd like to see more insecurity on Howards end.

^ that's not really a shamy post, but oh well Thanks for reading my big posts, by the way. I keep wanting to say thank-you personally, but I can't find a good time to do it. And I'm kind of shy
Old 04-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Obsessed Fan

Ah the walls o' text! Sure sign that the Shamy Nation is in highest spirits.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Riterra Smith (View Post)
Ah the walls o' text! Sure sign that the Shamy Nation is in highest spirits.
The kiss definitely got our attention
Old 04-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Fan

We haven't discussed Amy's new shoes and new dress! I've never seen either yet. Discuss!

Sheldon Kissed Amy

~ Rosie
Old 04-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Part-Time Fan

With the eagerness that Sheldon kissed her, I have a feeling that he was the one who proposed to put it in the relag

P.S I noticed the new dress! Pretty! No cardigan either! Wish she'd lose the shirt underneath though

Old 04-06-2014, 04:39 AM
Ultimate Fan

Good Morning Shamy Nation!

Sheldon Kissed Amy

~ Rosie
Old 04-06-2014, 04:45 AM
Master Fan

Catching up with all the wonderful posts in this thread.

On the subject of Sheldon growing up:
Quote:
This really has been a significant theme this season.

Sheldon is probably dealing with more "real life" in these past few months than he has ever had to deal with before.

When you think about it, the only thing left in Sheldon's life that he can really count on is Amy. Even though she pointed out the problem with Raiders to him, that was not Amy deserting or disappointing hm - that was the movie. Amy is the one part of his life he's been able to depend on consistently. She may challenge him, she may even get angry with him, but she is always there for him and she always supports him - in the way he most needs to be supported, even if it means telling him she's embarrassed for him.

It will be very interesting to see if the writers continue this theme through the end of the season - to see what else is in store for Sheldon and how it affects him and if we will see some sort of climax to all this before the season finale or if it will extend into season 8.

I've picked out your topic sentences, but I agree with every word of your post. I'm also sensing that Amy is becoming the one constant and reliable aspect of his life, and if that really is the case, it will be very interesting to see what happens when Sheldon realises this.

I think Sheldon growing up and starting to lose some of his arrogance can be traced back even further, when Leonard got to work for Stephen Hawking's team, and to the Cooper/Kripke Inversion (probably the last time we saw him so emotional and supported by Amy, albeit in completely different circumstances). And I think we all remember what else happened in that episode. His personal growing up goes hand-in-hand with him becoming more relaxed or open to the possibilities in his relationship with Amy - as if the writers are partly putting him through all this, questioning himself, etc., in order for the relationship to progress, maybe. I like that his change is not just driven by Amy, even though she's had a huge effect on him, but is in a way, hopefully, for Amy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefi62 (View Post)
I think they have two options: either they keep doing it the way they have and Sheldon changes slowly until the show ends, realizing his friends, his science and Amy are what is really important for him and what he should rely on, or they end up with a very traumatic thing in the near future, like Meemaw's death, or an accident, or a break up with Amy (even a break up between Penny and Leonard would be extremely traumatic for him right now) I don't know, and Sheldon is "broken" and has to react.
I'm scared for Sheldon, I really like the character and I hope nothing painful happens to him. But I trust the writers, they've been wonderful up to now,I trust them, they will keep inventing good stuff for our 7 favorite characters.
TBBT is a comedy, but I really like the characters study it has become ever since Steve Molaro is the showrunner. And with such a good cast, they can make them play just anything, and it's always brilliant.
Thanks for the video update, Stefi!
I agree in trusting what the writers will come up with. As for the bolded part, my money would be on keeping it slow. I don't feel a dramatic, traumatic event would be in keeping with the show's style, especially for Shamy, and it could feel like a cheap dramatic trick to accelerate things. But then again, these things do happen in real life, and I wouldn't put it past them to surprise us (although I definitely don't envisage a break-up for Shamy at any point). I do think Sheldon's surely been through enough for one season, though. Things seem to have affected him - he was very distressed in this last episode, and I can't remember seeing him doubt himself to this extent before. If I was Amy, I'd be worried about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamyLove (View Post)
We haven't discussed Amy's new shoes and new dress! I've never seen either yet. Discuss!
I didn't notice a new dress, so I checked but I still don't see it! Do you mean the skirt in the Best Buy scenes? Isn't the one she wears for the date night her usual date night uniform? As seen in Workplace Proximity, Date Night Variable and (I think) Monster Isolation when they went to see the play?

I did notice the bare legs in this episode though - I think Mayim's showing off her runner's muscles!

Thanks for your latest wake-up gifs, Rosie!

Last edited by Whimsical Elf; 04-06-2014 at 04:53 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread