Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2016, 07:33 AM
Obsessed Fan

Okay I was hesitating to put this out there, but I guess it's safe to admit this. Most of Susan and Randall's dialogue was a bit awkward, not exceedingly LOL funny. There was nothing wrong with the actors, just the writing could have been tweaked. The wedding scene was the highlight so I'll judge the ep by it's strengths not it's weaknesses.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsical Elf (View Post)
Really? If anything I thought he seemed young. I mean, Penny is about 30 isn't she.
Penny is 31 (she was 22 at the start of S2) but since The Maternal Capacitance had her talking about how her father was disappointed that he didn't get a boy, people have just sort of assumed that the brother was younger. And I doubt that the writers forgot about that since they keep having Wyatt call her "Slugger." The actor who played Randall is twelve years older than Kaley.

WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:20 PM
Master Fan

I think it takes time for the writers and actors to gel perfectly when they introduce a new character. I think that's to be expected. I don't think there was anything badly wrong or off about the newcomers. It's sometimes a bit jarring when there are new people in a show you're so familiar with, and the audience has to get used to them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
Penny is 31 (she was 22 at the start of S2) but since The Maternal Capacitance had her talking about how her father was disappointed that he didn't get a boy, people have just sort of assumed that the brother was younger. And I doubt that the writers forgot about that since they keep having Wyatt call her "Slugger." The actor who played Randall is twelve years older than Kaley.
Oh, I didn't realize he was supposed to be younger. Well, I could see him being a couple of years younger than Penny. Especially with that perpetual smile, like a little puppy dog.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:49 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsical Elf (View Post)
Oh, I didn't realize he was supposed to be younger. Well, I could see him being a couple of years younger than Penny. Especially with that perpetual smile, like a little puppy dog.
He wanted to show off his new teeth

The thing is, I liked their lines and I laughed a lot but I got the impression Jack had some problems to get into his character. If it would have been easier if it would have been a casual weekly gueststar we haven't know yet. But we probably already all had a picture of Pennys brother in our heads. That makes it more difficult to satisfy our expectations.

~Susanne ~
smoguntia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:31 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoguntia (View Post)
He wanted to show off his new teeth

The thing is, I liked their lines and I laughed a lot but I got the impression Jack had some problems to get into his character. If it would have been easier if it would have been a casual weekly gueststar we haven't know yet. But we probably already all had a picture of Pennys brother in our heads. That makes it more difficult to satisfy our expectations.
That's a good point. They're probably never going to please everyone introducing characters that have already been talked about over the years. I didn't actually have any previous thoughts on what he was like, so that probably made it easier for me to accept him as he was (once I got used to it).

I think it's not all to do with having the characters fit in. The actor has to fit in with the style of the show as well. Each show has its own level of reality, and when an actor even just slightly under or overplays something it can stick out.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:28 PM
Part-Time Fan

I did really enjoy the premeire. IT was just continuity of storyline. So it was not amazing, thought it was sweet, funny, and solid. I was a bit bummed by Randall and Susan though. I thought it was poor writing. Too many inconsistencies for me. Particularly Randall. I saw him as kinda rough on the edges, kinda how DJ Qualls played a Meth guy in Season One The Loobenfeild Decay. But he was so clean cut, I can't imagine Randall in prison haha. Maybe they were going for the irony of it, but it felt flat to me. Susan too, I don't know, just diddn't connect. Matarial may have been an issue, Katy and Jack made it work, fair play to them. But bit dissapointed by how they wrote those characters. I did like how Leonard and Susan had meet before, little off screen continuity. Penny really showed Leonard is her soul mate. Prob best premeire in recent years, since like Season 6.
3ku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:31 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ku11 (View Post)
I did really enjoy the premeire. IT was just continuity of storyline. So it was not amazing, thought it was sweet, funny, and solid. I was a bit bummed by Randall and Susan though. I thought it was poor writing. Too many inconsistencies for me. Particularly Randall. I saw him as kinda rough on the edges, kinda how DJ Qualls played a Meth guy in Season One The Loobenfeild Decay. But he was so clean cut, I can't imagine Randall in prison haha. Maybe they were going for the irony of it, but it felt flat to me. Susan too, I don't know, just diddn't connect. Matarial may have been an issue, Katy and Jack made it work, fair play to them. But bit dissapointed by how they wrote those characters. I did like how Leonard and Susan had meet before, little off screen continuity. Penny really showed Leonard is her soul mate. Prob best premeire in recent years, since like Season 6.
I always thought the season 6 premiere was pretty weak (the plots largely amounted to characters putting things off), in fact I don't think season 6 hit its stride until Howard came back to earth.

Eh, we knew very little about Penny's mother and brother (compared to say Meemaw), so I don't think they were portrayed inconsistently at all.
meka3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:22 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by meka3000 (View Post)
I always thought the season 6 premiere was pretty weak (the plots largely amounted to characters putting things off), in fact I don't think season 6 hit its stride until Howard came back to earth.

Eh, we knew very little about Penny's mother and brother (compared to say Meemaw), so I don't think they were portrayed inconsistently at all.
ACtually we knew quite a bit. Randall was susposed to be a problem meth guy. But he seemed way too nice to be in prison. Susan was susposed to be over weight, but she did not seem heavy at all. Sorry I Think they were portrayed, terribly inconsistent. But that is jmo. They diddn't gell at all tbh.
3ku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:03 AM
Master Fan

Well when Sheldon said, he saw pics of Pennys mother it was just in the beginning of the show. And he didn't say if it were new or old pics. So Susan could have lost weight during all those years, I don't see any inconsitency

~Susanne ~
smoguntia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:47 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ku11 (View Post)
-ACtually we knew quite a bit. Randall was susposed to be a problem meth guy.
-Susan was susposed to be over weight, but she did not seem heavy at all.
-being a happy guy, and a meth maker/dealer are not mutually exclusive.

-sheldon said he saw pictures of her mother. He never said he saw ALL pictures of her mother. People also lose weight. This isn't like Howard's mother where we're constantly told how overweight she was. We literally had one reference to Susan's weight issues, nothing else. So theres much more room to interpret what happened with her before now.
meka3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Master Fan

I just rematched the episode before the next one tonight.
For me Randall is just a naive guy from a farm in Nebraska who didn't know how to occupy himself and turn into an "alternate chemistry" without really bad intentions.
He reminds me Penny at the beginning of the show, naive and coming to California to become a star in 6 months. She often said that there was nothing to do in Omaha, she turned to go to parties with guys, and he turned to cook and sell crystal meth.
Randall says he's a nonviolent offender, he seems to be as friendly and open as Penny is.
In fact, he reflects how Penny could have been if she hadn't met Leonard and the guys, she matured a lot and became a very sweet and thoughtful young woman.
~Laurence~
soundsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:09 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsgood (View Post)
I just rematched the episode before the next one tonight.
For me Randall is just a naive guy from a farm in Nebraska who didn't know how to occupy himself and turn into an "alternate chemistry" without really bad intentions.
He reminds me Penny at the beginning of the show, naive and coming to California to become a star in 6 months. She often said that there was nothing to do in Omaha, she turned to go to parties with guys, and he turned to cook and sell crystal meth.
Randall says he's a nonviolent offender, he seems to be as friendly and open as Penny is.
In fact, he reflects how Penny could have been if she hadn't met Leonard and the guys, she matured a lot and became a very sweet and thoughtful young woman.
I think you've summed it up really well.
I have to say, regardless of what we thought of the new characters, to me they're completely believable as a family. You can see the similarities and the way fit together.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:12 AM
Master Fan

Another BTS video.
This WarnerChannelBrasil is really great!

~Laurence~
soundsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:37 AM
Supreme Fan

Thanks! That's so cool.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:58 PM
Master Fan

Stuff from the pre-shoots. Really cool! Thanks a lot!
Reply   Post New Thread