Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2016, 11:27 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyBerry (View Post)
It would've been interesting had we gotten a pic with Kunal, Kate and Laura to have Raj and his ex-girlfriends
We did get a pic of Laura and Kate together, no Kunal, though.
SargeantFuzzyBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeantFuzzyBoots (View Post)
We did get a pic of Laura and Kate together, no Kunal, though.
I know That's why I was thinking about one with all three
IcyBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:46 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyBerry (View Post)
I know That's why I was thinking about one with all three
Ah, gotcha.

I still have hope for these crazy, crumb cake eating fools.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:51 AM
Supreme Fan

I don't think it's that far fetched to hope for a future with Raj and Lucy together. He's single again and she wanted to get back together with him before he started dating Emily.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:55 AM
Master Fan

Yeah, though he might have some apologizing to do after his "Why can't you be more like Emily?" bit.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Fan

It's been two years since he's seen Lucy. If she did come back, wouldn't it be interesting if she had changed dramatically over the course of that time and Raj is like this when he sees her:

IcyBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:07 PM
Master Fan

That would be pretty hilarious. Though I kinda hope she hasn't changed too much because I'd love to get back to her journey of having social anxiety.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeantFuzzyBoots (View Post)
That would be pretty hilarious. Though I kinda hope she hasn't changed too much because I'd love to get back to her journey of having social anxiety.
Yeah. I have pretty severe social anxiety and I don't know that I'd like seeing her coming back magically 'cured' with no explanation.

WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:33 AM
Supreme Fan

Well, there was enough time for her to work on it, so it wouldn't exactly be unrealistic.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FileXxX (View Post)
Well, there was enough time for her to work on it, so it wouldn't exactly be unrealistic.
But when a change is that drastic, it kinda needs to be shown to an extent. Like, we couldn't have gone from Sheldon saying he'd never be in a relationship to having sex with Amy. We couldn't have gone from Bernadette calling off her engagement to Howard and then jump forward years ahead to them married and having a baby. We couldn't go from Penny breaking up with Leonard to her telling him she loves him. Going from one extreme to another is lazy writing. We're actually discussing that a lot in the Scorpion fandom right now - just a few months ago it was as if a character wanted nothing to do with another character (and we know for a fact they weren't dating at that point), and now we find out they are dating and not only do we not know how long that's been going on, we can't even pinpoint when it may have started happening because previous episodes contradict, and it really feels like the writers just didn't know how to write the interim so they just skipped over it.

Plus in itself, someone with that severe social anxiety is not very likely to be super confident and not showing any signs of it just a year or so down the road.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:17 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
But when a change is that drastic, it kinda needs to be shown to an extent.
With a minor character like her, no, I don't think it's essential to show every instance of her working on her anxieties. Especially when she had no screentime at all. Would you rather assume she didn't make any progress at all while she was gone? Because that doesn't make any sense either. I mean, her life went on, we just didn't see it.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FileXxX (View Post)
With a minor character like her, no, I don't think it's essential to show every instance of her working on her anxieties. Especially when she had no screentime at all. Would you rather assume she didn't make any progress at all while she was gone? Because that doesn't make any sense either. I mean, her life went on, we just didn't see it.
Actually, when dealing with mental problems such as anxiety, it's actually very realistic to not make much, if any, progress. Unfortunately, a large percentage of people with issues like that never get significantly better, and Lucy's case is definitely extreme. I was depressed for three years, and I actually got worse two years into it, and I definitely am not alone in that scenario (nor am I completely better even now, and my anxiety is actually worse than it used to be too). And while she is a minor character, this is the Raj/Lucy thread - their entire relationship was built around their mutual social anxieties and the growth both of them experienced while dating each other was completely focused on those issues. That's what initially bonded them, and if she's going to come back with no lingering issues at all, that makes her a completely different character and they might as well just get Raj with someone else. I'm not saying she can't have improved somewhat, but that's a completely different story from 'dramatic difference'.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:39 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Actually, when dealing with mental problems such as anxiety, it's actually very realistic to not make much, if any, progress. Unfortunately, a large percentage of people with issues like that never get significantly better, and Lucy's case is definitely extreme. I was depressed for three years, and I actually got worse two years into it, and I definitely am not alone in that scenario (nor am I completely better even now, and my anxiety is actually worse than it used to be too). And while she is a minor character, this is the Raj/Lucy thread - their entire relationship was built around their mutual social anxieties and the growth both of them experienced while dating each other was completely focused on those issues. That's what initially bonded them, and if she's going to come back with no lingering issues at all, that makes her a completely different character and they might as well just get Raj with someone else. I'm not saying she can't have improved somewhat, but that's a completely different story from 'dramatic difference'.
Raj is pretty much a completely different person now, so if she's coming back, she'll still be facing a completely different Raj. So, "what initially bonded them" is gone. Where's the difference? And I have no reason to assume that she didn't make any progress, just because you, or somebody else, got worse for a certain period of time, no matter how extreme her anxieties are. Everyone's different and might progress a lot easier and faster.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't see Raj as completely different, though. He may be more confident, but he still overthinks, he's still presumptuous and paranoid, he jumps the gun, he's still needy, he still feels being in an unfulfilling relationship is better than being single. In terms of how he acts around women he's interested in romantically, he's still very much the same as he used to be.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:19 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
he still overthinks, he's still presumptuous and paranoid, he jumps the gun, he's still needy, he still feels being in an unfulfilling relationship is better than being single.
I think this is stuff every young, inexperienced man goes through when he's around women (or men ) he's interested in. I wouldn't consider that as some sort of anxiety. His biggest issue, the selective mutism, is gone.
Reply   Post New Thread