Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2018, 09:17 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FileXxX (View Post)
I think there's a huge difference. Death threats are taken seriously because your life might be in danger, while the occasional racist jibber jabber on Twitter is just words you can easily ignore. Words I'd personally never care about, especially from a person I don't know. Now with a known individual like Roseanne Barr, it causes a lot of uproar, but ultimately it doesn't matter. I do understand why ABC did this, though. It would've made them look bad too, so they cut the cord. But as someone who's not involved with this person - why would I care? It's not for me to judge.
The thing is, though, is that it's hard and even dangerous to ignore these statements. For people who are part of minority groups, these are statements that purposefully dehumanize them - sure, you can say to just ignore it, but these words are just further reminders of the oppression and racism they face in the real world on a daily basis. It would be a lot different if we actually lived in an equal society, but since we are still living in a time where hard battles have to be fought for people of other races to be treated fairly, letting these comments slip is dangerous as it keeps setting the bar lower. It's different if a white person is called names over Twitter because we as white people have never lived under oppression or have had to live every day being judged by our skin colour. That and there are no slurs that exist against white people, so again, we don't know what it's like to be called derogatory terms like that, and, if we are called a name, it still doesn't compare to the words used against other races. So of course, it's easy for us to just ignore mean comments directed at us - these comments don't add to any abuse we are living through in real life. So, in order to be allies to people who are part of minority groups, it's important to actively challenge public displays of racism and ensure that their are consequences for that behaviour. Even if it doesn't change the beliefs of racists, it still shows that, publicly, their behaviour won't be tolerated.

Quote:
I don't think it is. Those under oppression are living the same life they lived before the show was cancelled. It doesn't make a difference.
It certainly doesn't just end racism, but it does make a difference in that it sets a higher precedence for big corporations like ABC supporting minorities over racists or white supremacists. That's a huge acknowledgement of the humanity and worth of people of other races or religions. Even though real world policy wasn't changed in this case, and, you're right, life in the real world won't be drastically different today than yesterday, acknowledgement is hugely important for people in minority groups on a personal, individual level, and on a human rights level. That's why representation in media is very important. It all comes down to supporting people who are oppressed so that we can eventually, hopefully, create real equality in this world, instead of choosing to sit back and let the status quo of patriarchy, bigotry, and racism prevail.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:18 AM
Supreme Fan

You're right, I don't know what it's like, but I can just encourage those who do to stand up for themselves and shrug it off. But let's not pretend like there has been no progress at all in the last couple of decades. It's gotten a lot better. But with our current world leaders, chances for real equality are small, probably not even in reach of our lifetime.

I like that Roseanne Barr got her ass handed to her, even though it won't affect her in the long run, as she's already made. But I still believe they made the wrong decision. Instead they could've fired her and continued with someone else in charge. Or make a spinoff. But they just flushed months worth of work down the toilet. I read that some channels even stopped showing reruns of the classic sitcom, which will furthermore hurt the wrong people.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Very well said, Brit. To oppressed groups, it's not nearly as simple as "just words." I belong to a few marginalized communities myself and it's always a huge relief when I see people taking a stand against people who spew that kind of rhetoric.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:47 PM
Master Fan

Very well said Brit.
Quote:
I think she can't even be legally punished for what she said because it's her own opinion, even if it's a ****ty one.
In France she would be prosecuted under law. You can't spread the hate, racist or antisemitic, homophobic etc.

Quote:
It's gotten a lot better. But with our current world leaders, chances for real equality are small, probably not even in reach of our lifetime.
It's not because it's gotten better that it's the end of it. The fight against racism never stop, like it never stop against antisemitism, women's right, LGBT's right, and so many.

I hope there won't be any spinoff. For me what RB said is so powerful that she destroyed everything, the present and sadly the past. That's why I feel sad for the cast, I understand how they feel betrayed in what they wanted to do with this reboot and betrayed in their feelings because she directly hurt the people she was working with. It's like knowing that your mom is a racist, even if you fight with her, you manage to live with it because no matter what she's still your mom and there's feelings. Until she crosses the line and no matter how bad you feel, the only thing to do is to go away.
~Laurence~
Old 05-30-2018, 08:32 PM
Supreme Fan

She did not exactly betray them. She's just stupid as hell. For many of the less known actors working on the reboot, this was considered their big breakthrough. It was like winning the lottery for them, only to have the ticket burned right before their eyes.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:32 AM
Master Fan

sanctionedjohnnygalecki Rehearsal / first run at a new song might mean there’s another #juanandethel show coming to your towns soon. I could be more specific but that would be less fun, no? XO. 📹: Juan. When without a band, a backup of Pacific waves do beautifully. ❤️ #brothersosborne

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjzX_QtDi5r/

Leonard: "Am I like the dryer sheets of your heart?"
Penny: "Better. You’re the lint trap of my love."
~Martin~
Old 06-09-2018, 10:26 AM
Master Fan

4 or 5 days .....
~Laurence~
Old 06-09-2018, 12:24 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsgood (View Post)
4 or 5 days .....
I envy you.

~Martin~
Old 06-14-2018, 01:09 PM
Master Fan

A few months ago I saw that Randy Houser was coming to LA on my birthday, so I thought it was a good occupation for this day. Few weeks after, he added another date, and I decided to offer me a double concert date, stress release after the semester. And then, Johnny started to tease that he may open a concert for RH from time to time as Juan and Ethel. And it happened

They played 6 or 7 songs, starting with Hotel Yorba (it's kind of their song now ), with a nice band, and Naomi and Johnny are just really cute teasing each others. In one word: Awesome
Steve Holland and Maria Ferrari were there, and his brother Nick, with other friends of course. It's really great to see how he's happy to do that, during and after, I think the audience really enjoyed the set.
I've posted more pics on my IG
~Laurence~

Last edited by soundsgood; 06-14-2018 at 01:19 PM
Old 06-14-2018, 01:42 PM
Supreme Fan

That's great! I'm glad you had a good time.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:50 PM
Master Fan

Oh that sounds great, Laurence. Glad you had fun.

~Susanne ~

Last edited by smoguntia; 06-14-2018 at 03:43 PM
Old 06-14-2018, 03:35 PM
Master Fan

That's great Laurence. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Here are some pictures from Instagram:

sanctionedjohnnygalecki Thanks so much to all the folks who filled The Troubadour last night with such wonderful energy. We had an absolute BLAST with you! And especially to @randyhouser for inviting us to support you. #unlikelypal Randy and his amazing band are playing there again tonight for those of you in town! #juanandethel @callmenome @daplemusic XO.

daplemusic So much fun with Juan and Ethel last night at #thetroubadour thanks to @randyhouser @sanctionedjohnnygalecki

~Martin~
Old 06-15-2018, 09:43 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
The Big Bang Theory

That's so awesome!! I'm glad you got to see him!

Also I love that Holland and Maria were there!
"Keep looking up, after it rains. Keep looking up."
big bang buzz . twitter . tumblr
Old 06-17-2018, 01:48 PM
Master Fan

sanctionedjohnnygalecki A few more from our show at #troubadour Wednesday night just because it was so darn fun and y’all were so great! Be to a town near you (intentionally spontaneously) soon. XO. And endless thanks to @randyhouser who crushed it again last night. If you’re in San Diego tonight or Santa Clarita tomorrow go check them out! #juanandethel @callmenome @daplemusic #sendcombsandguitarpolish
~Laurence~
Old 06-18-2018, 09:20 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
The Big Bang Theory

He's definitely got his full hiatus beard going there!
"Keep looking up, after it rains. Keep looking up."
big bang buzz . twitter . tumblr
Closed Thread   Post New Thread