Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2016, 01:15 PM
Master Fan

I watched two episodes of Gilmore Girls today and now I need a 24 hours break, my head is buzzing

~Susanne ~
Old 11-25-2016, 01:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I watched all 4 episodes of GG today. It has a lot of the feel of the original series - certainly most of the actors have recaptured their characters quite well. However...

I almost put the following in spoiler tags, but it doesn't really give away any plot points and some people might want to know - before they watch.

There is some really blatant and distasteful fat shaming in episode 3 "Summer". It's so blatant it surprises me. I usually try to think that when shows do something like that they are doing it in an effort to inform / teach - like by showing how bad something is, people will recognize it. But I don't see that here. They are ridiculing people because they somehow think it's funny for Lorelei and Rory to do that. It's sad to think that a show that is basically a light-hearted bit of fantasy escapism would do that.

~Heidi
Old 11-25-2016, 02:00 PM
Master Fan

I know it's a important topic and I don't want to be disrespectful but sometimes I just want to relax and watch a show without paying attention if something is political correct or a sterotype or who could or could not be shamed or be offended. Watching TV is becoming so complicated those days

~Susanne ~
Old 11-25-2016, 03:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoguntia (View Post)
I know it's a important topic and I don't want to be disrespectful but sometimes I just want to relax and watch a show without paying attention if something is political correct or a sterotype or who could or could not be shamed or be offended. Watching TV is becoming so complicated those days
I think it's fine to sit back and like stuff. I mean, TBBT fat shamed Mrs. Wolowitz almost without pausing for breath and I still love the show. What I don't think is okay is getting on someone's case for bringing it up (like I dared to say once I thought Game of Throne's glorified rape - which us something a TON of people also think - and I legit got threats from people, and when I've retweeting criticism of things like Harry Potter in the past people have implied I'm just somehow not smart enough to get over it) or taking it personally when someone says they won't watch something because of things like that. Like me, if there's sensationalized rape, I won't watch it, for maybe no other reason than that. I'm not fat, but fat jokes also happen to turn me off to something unless I was attached to it prior to those things happening - like the gay and trans jokes in Friends, I wouldn't watch Friends for the first time now. But when I did watch it for the first time that kind of stuff didn't bother me, and now I'm attached to the characters so I'll watch it again. The jokes still bother me, but I don't try to defend them to anyone, I know they're bad, I just enjoy other aspects of the show and that's okay.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:02 PM
Master Fan

I'm stuck in this afternoon because it's raining. Absolutely chucking it down. I just got my hair done this morning so I'm not going to brave it. Going to take the opportunity to get some posting in and some work done instead.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsical Elf (View Post)
I'm stuck in this afternoon because it's raining. Absolutely chucking it down. I just got my hair done this morning so I'm not going to brave it. Going to take the opportunity to get some posting in and some work done instead.
I'm off tomorrow and I fully plan to just stay inside.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Fan

It has begun snowing here
Old 11-27-2016, 09:43 AM
Obsessed Fan

It already snowed here. Now it's half melted and muddy. Not the prettiest backdrop for the Christmas lights that are popping up.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I need snow! If the weather folks are right, we won't get much this year.

~Heidi
Old 11-27-2016, 11:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm here another month, then will be in Michigan for the second half of the winter. I have no idea what the forecast is temperature and snow wise there, because I wasn't planning on being there. I'm definitely not looking forward to the Michigan cold - and that can last until April.

What I'd love to do is just fly to California and winter with Roxanne.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:55 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
The Big Bang Theory

I watched all the new Gilmore Girls on Friday with my mom and sisters! I have some criticisms and disappointments, but at the same time I still loved it. I jumped back into my series rewatch afterwards (I'm almost done with S5 now), so I'll probably finish that up, and then watch the revival again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
What I'd love to do is just fly to California and winter with Roxanne.
You'd be laughing at me as I bundle up while you're still in your shorts and t-shirts.
"Keep looking up, after it rains. Keep looking up."
big bang buzz . twitter . tumblr
Old 11-28-2016, 12:21 AM
Master Fan

I am not appreciating the rain and cold here at the moment. I feel like I'm the only person in L.A. not celebrating every time it rains.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:18 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
The Big Bang Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsical Elf (View Post)
I am not appreciating the rain and cold here at the moment. I feel like I'm the only person in L.A. not celebrating every time it rains.
Ha, yeah I always love it when it rains. Though I wasn't quite as fond of it last week at the end of quidditch practice, when it rained the whole two hours... But until it got really cold and my glasses were fogging up, it was still fun to be out there.
"Keep looking up, after it rains. Keep looking up."
big bang buzz . twitter . tumblr
Old 11-28-2016, 10:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaxor (View Post)
You'd be laughing at me as I bundle up while you're still in your shorts and t-shirts.
I laugh at you anyway, I'd rathat laugh at you with you than 2300 miles away!

Old 11-30-2016, 12:58 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
I think it's fine to sit back and like stuff. I mean, TBBT fat shamed Mrs. Wolowitz almost without pausing for breath and I still love the show. What I don't think is okay is getting on someone's case for bringing it up (like I dared to say once I thought Game of Throne's glorified rape - which us something a TON of people also think - and I legit got threats from people, and when I've retweeting criticism of things like Harry Potter in the past people have implied I'm just somehow not smart enough to get over it) or taking it personally when someone says they won't watch something because of things like that. Like me, if there's sensationalized rape, I won't watch it, for maybe no other reason than that. I'm not fat, but fat jokes also happen to turn me off to something unless I was attached to it prior to those things happening - like the gay and trans jokes in Friends, I wouldn't watch Friends for the first time now. But when I did watch it for the first time that kind of stuff didn't bother me, and now I'm attached to the characters so I'll watch it again. The jokes still bother me, but I don't try to defend them to anyone, I know they're bad, I just enjoy other aspects of the show and that's okay.
The Game of Thrones fandom is...crazy (to put it mildly).

And I tend to get turned off/not turned off based on when the show was made. Like...I don't expect I Love Lucy to depict current schools of thought. Or, in the case of Friends, I remember what life was like in the 90's and know that Friends was considered progressive, whereas now it would have a lot more controversy over some plot points, jokes, etc.

So, the tl;dr of it all is I keep in mind the thinking/trends of society at the time the show was made.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread