Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2016, 11:17 PM
Master Fan

The Cheesecake Factory (OT) #79: Because we are watching the Olympics.

talk, talk, talk

~Susanne ~
Old 08-16-2016, 08:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Tftnt!

Old 08-16-2016, 09:13 AM
Master Fan

Thank you for the new thread!
Old 08-16-2016, 09:57 AM
Elite Fan

TFTNT Susanne!
Old 08-16-2016, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Fan

TFTNT!
Old 08-16-2016, 10:16 AM
Master Fan

Tftnt !
I don't watch the Olympics so much this year, no tv at home (but at work) and the hours are not great for us in Europe
~Laurence~
Old 08-16-2016, 10:20 AM
Fez
Elite Fan

Danke Susanne.

Now that I'm back from Madeira I'm watching the Olympics every minute I'm not sleeping or working.

"The best number is 73. Why? 73 is the 21st prime number. Its mirror, 37, is the 12th and its mirror, 21, is the product of multiplying 7 and 3... and in binary 73 is a palindrome, 1001001, which backwards is 1001001.".
~Sheldon L. Cooper, PhD
Old 08-16-2016, 10:53 AM
Elite Fan

In other countries how do they air the Olympics? Here they air something from 9 a.m. until 11 at night. But from 7-11 they do the "prime time" events, basically the finals in all the sports people like to watch, swimming, track and field, beach volleyball, etc. So for prime time it doesn't matter what time it all happened, it's not airing live.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:00 AM
Fez
Elite Fan

Here it is on from like 1pm in the afternoon until 3 or 4 am at night. The next morning they'll air all of last day's highlights. Of course since I have to get up early on weekdays I don't get to watch most of the primetime events live and have to watch the reruns or stuff I taped during the night.

It was much easier watching the olympics 4 years ago.

Tokyo in 4 years will be even harder though.

"The best number is 73. Why? 73 is the 21st prime number. Its mirror, 37, is the 12th and its mirror, 21, is the product of multiplying 7 and 3... and in binary 73 is a palindrome, 1001001, which backwards is 1001001.".
~Sheldon L. Cooper, PhD
Old 08-16-2016, 11:29 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musickat18 (View Post)
In other countries how do they air the Olympics? Here they air something from 9 a.m. until 11 at night. But from 7-11 they do the "prime time" events, basically the finals in all the sports people like to watch, swimming, track and field, beach volleyball, etc. So for prime time it doesn't matter what time it all happened, it's not airing live.
What? I thought I was watching stuff live. Sometimes there's a little 'live' sign in the corner of the screen, so I guess if that's not there I should assume it's recorded.
I think back in Britain it's shown live - just at stupid times. That's why some years I barely see any of it at all, when it's in an inconvenient time zone.

Just checking - is Rio four hours ahead of Pacific Time?
Old 08-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Well for me, the current prime time stuff is live, at least the swimming and beach volleyball, because the twitter accounts that do play by play updates are updating while it's actually airing. Four years ago it wasn't live because London is five hours ahead of us, but for Rio it is.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:58 AM
Master Fan

What Fez said

I read that NBC insistent that the finals of the swimming competition take place between 10 and 12 p.m. local time so that they can show it on US prime time and that many athlets complained that they had to swim this late. I understand that NBC paid a lot and that America is probably the country with the biggest intrest in those swimming contests, but in my opinion they should care more about the athlets interests. They should be the stars of this event.
I love to watch the Olympics but there are so many incidents this year that make me consider if they should continue with those mega-events. At least give it to countries who can afford it and who want those games. Brasil was not ready for those games. And only visiting events where your own team is playing and leaving afterwards or not respecting athlets from other countries is not what the Olympics are about.

~Susanne ~
Old 08-16-2016, 12:23 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
Well for me, the current prime time stuff is live, at least the swimming and beach volleyball, because the twitter accounts that do play by play updates are updating while it's actually airing. Four years ago it wasn't live because London is five hours ahead of us, but for Rio it is.
True. You're on East coast time right? I know that here we're not getting a live feed...but that's nothing new. Any show that airs "live" almost never airs live here (barring the awards shows)
Old 08-16-2016, 08:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
True. You're on East coast time right? I know that here we're not getting a live feed...but that's nothing new. Any show that airs "live" almost never airs live here (barring the awards shows)
Yeah. So I'm getting the swimming and the beach volleyball and gymnastics live. Which of course, I didn't for London, Beijing, Athens, or Sydney. And I was too young to remember Atlanta. So it's a nice change, watching when I don't actually know what happened.

That makes me think of in London, I knew the results of the women's beach volleyball Gold Medal Match because I had the USA Volleyball twitter account on text alert. So when it aired here, I already knew May/Walsh had three-peated. My little sister was watching with my parents and I and partway through the first set she asked me "is this live?"
"No."
"Do you know what happens?"
"Yes."
"Okay. Don't tell me. I mean, I think I know, but still don't tell me."

Old 08-16-2016, 09:13 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
The Big Bang Theory

Initially I was hoping to avoid spoilers for gymnastics until I could watch at night, but pretty quickly realized that'd be next to impossible unless I just stayed off the internet completely, which is no fun. And the gymnastics coverage normally hasn't ended until midnight, which is about two hours past my bedtime, so I'd be trying to avoid spoilers for 24+ hours until I get home the next day to finish watching... So yeah, I gave up on that pretty fast.
"Keep looking up, after it rains. Keep looking up."
big bang buzz . twitter . tumblr
Closed Thread   Post New Thread