Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2016, 09:59 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah, in the US the cost of education keeps rising exponentially. What I paid to attend my university Out of State (which always costs more than attending a college in your state) is what IN STATE students pay now. It's insane.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musickat18 (View Post)
Yeah, in the US the cost of education keeps rising exponentially. What I paid to attend my university Out of State (which always costs more than attending a college in your state) is what IN STATE students pay now. It's insane.
My parents and I went to the same university thirty years apart. They had to work 127 hours on minimum wage to pay for 15 credits their freshman year. My freshman year, it was 940 hours on minimum wage to pay 15 credits. I read somewhere that since 1980 the cost of education here has risen 1100%.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:08 AM
Elite Fan

My brother got his MBA. 2 years. $40k.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:50 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez (View Post)
In Germany attending university is for free. Even for international students. The only costs that need be covered are board/rent and books. Even public transportation is for free in the city you choose to study in.
Wow. Well done, Germany!

There was a time UK students got grants and no tuition fees, but since the expansion of higher education that's gradually gone. I'm lucky I did my first degree before tuition fees were introduced. I feel sorry for students now.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:26 PM
Fez
Elite Fan

They tried to introduce tuition some 10 years back when I was at uni. It was only like 500 bucks a year but still. One by one the German federal states abolished the tuition fees, because the bureaucracy of handling the fees was more expensive than the actual income.

I never had to worry about that since I was funded by the company I started to work for after graduating high school. I worked there 40 hours a week and in return they funded my full-time evening/weekend classes. It was a brutal workload, but this way I financed both my B.A. and my M.sc. in business. Also, up to this day I feel like a lazy slob when I work less than 50 hours a week.

"The best number is 73. Why? 73 is the 21st prime number. Its mirror, 37, is the 12th and its mirror, 21, is the product of multiplying 7 and 3... and in binary 73 is a palindrome, 1001001, which backwards is 1001001.".
~Sheldon L. Cooper, PhD
Old 06-27-2016, 01:46 PM
Master Fan

England are about to go out of the Euros to Iceland. I blame this on Brexit, too.
Actually, I blame the stupid commentator who basically went and said we should expect to win this one, the other day.

I'm supporting France anyway now, to be honest, after the violence from 'fans' at the start of the tournament. Just when we thought that was a thing of the past.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
My parents and I went to the same university thirty years apart. They had to work 127 hours on minimum wage to pay for 15 credits their freshman year. My freshman year, it was 940 hours on minimum wage to pay 15 credits. I read somewhere that since 1980 the cost of education here has risen 1100%.
I went to school about the same time as your parents. My parents paid for all my expenses, plus gave me an allowance for spending money. I was out of state my freshman year, but then in state after that. I worked summers, but only 3 years. Between my 2nd and 3rd year I went to Summer Semester, so I didn't work that summer.

They spent less back then for my four year degree - about $10,000 including everything - than I just spent to purchase my new car - a Hyundai Elantra.

~Heidi
Old 06-27-2016, 02:39 PM
Obsessed Fan

I'm working full time and I can't even start paying rent yet because I'm not close to paying for my degree. I ask myself sometimes if it was worth getting one.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Fan

I hope that by the time I'm graduating, Trudeau's student loan policy will be in effect
Old 06-27-2016, 03:03 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsical Elf (View Post)
England are about to go out of the Euros to Iceland. I blame this on Brexit, too.
:
Im sorry Vicky

I was watching the game with some of my birthday guests and we felt very sorry for the english team after the game - even if we were cheering for Iceland

~Susanne ~
Old 06-27-2016, 09:22 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
The Big Bang Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
They spent less back then for my four year degree - about $10,000 including everything - than I just spent to purchase my new car - a Hyundai Elantra.
What stood out to me when I bought a car last year was the interest rate - for my car, I'm paying less than 2% interest. I have student loans up to 6% and 7%. Why are we making it harder to pay off an education than a car?
"Keep looking up, after it rains. Keep looking up."
big bang buzz . twitter . tumblr
Old 06-27-2016, 11:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaxor (View Post)
What stood out to me when I bought a car last year was the interest rate - for my car, I'm paying less than 2% interest. I have student loans up to 6% and 7%. Why are we making it harder to pay off an education than a car?
My student loans were between 3.4% and 7%. Ridiculous. I paid off the 7% and the 6.8% first.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:55 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoguntia (View Post)
Im sorry Vicky

I was watching the game with some of my birthday guests and we felt very sorry for the english team after the game - even if we were cheering for Iceland
Thanks. I'm not too bothered. We always lose at these things - usually to Germany on penalties! I only saw the end of the match, but by all accounts we were terrible.

Watching Murray at Wimbledon at the moment - so long as he stays on course I'll be happy.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:18 AM
Elite Fan

Speaking of Student Loans, to become a registered dietitian like myself you have to go through an internship. Said internship is usually full time, with varying hours, so it makes working more than 20 hours a week virtually impossible. And yet, you don't qualify for student loans, because you're "technically not a student". It's ridiculous. I know RD's who applied for 5-6 credit cards before they started and spent the year going into credit card debt. And believe me when I tell you that the pay you get afterward is not enough to justify the debt you get yourself into. I was lucky enough to have parents who paid for everything, or there is no way I could have done it.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musickat18 (View Post)
And believe me when I tell you that the pay you get afterward is not enough to justify the debt you get yourself into.
My parents paid for my first year, and I got scholarships, and I was still over 25K in debt when I graduated - and that's not even a lot compared to many people.

The thing is - the job I have now, I could have gotten that job without a college degree. So my post college career, at least so far, hasn't been a result of my degree at all. But (despite having already paid off two of my six loans) $225 of my pay each month is going toward paying off an education that at this point, has given me nothing but debt and clinically severe depression.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread