Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2015, 04:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

As Nicole said, I wasn't affected quite as much by the death on the Mentalist, but I wasn't nearly as invested in the whole show, since I'd only been watching it a few months. It still angered me and I also wrote a number of short fics and I'm still working on one multi-chapter fic as a way to get past the anger and to give myself a world where the character is still alive and I can be happy about the show. I think the fact that the main couple had their happy ever after - as if nothing bad had happened - is what truly angered me even more than the way the character was treated or why she was killed off.

I can definitely recommend watching the first six seasons of The Mentalist. As much as I wanted a seventh season, though, I almost wish they hadn't done it. I still can't rewatch season 7, although I think at some point I may be able to. Just not 7.10 or 7.11.

Scorpion is definitely handling this character death much better. It's still extremely emotional and very hard to deal with, and the character and the actress have certainly taken up residence in my heart. But there isn't the same sense that the character was brought in as a throw-away. Despite her illness, she's been an important part of the show, and while I'm sure her death will be a catalyst for changes in the other characters, it's not the same situation where that's the only purpose for her characters. I'm also fairly sure that the impact of her loss will be far-reaching and will affect the remaining characters for a long time to come - they won't be dancing at weddings two weeks later.

Beyond all that, Scorpion is very much worth watching. I'm so thrilled that this is one show I've watched since the beginning. It's probably one of the most intelligent shows I've seen since the early days of CSI. I've said before that it's something like TBBT because most of the main characters are geniuses who have a hard time dealing with what is considered normal social behavior. It's not a comedy, but it has comedy in it - some of which comes from watching these people try to live in a world they do not understand. But it's also a very challenging show that showcases advanced technology to deal with serious threats. There's a lot of real action - so it's also just fun to watch.

~Heidi
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
As Nicole said, I wasn't affected quite as much by the death on the Mentalist, but I wasn't nearly as invested in the whole show, since I'd only been watching it a few months. It still angered me and I also wrote a number of short fics and I'm still working on one multi-chapter fic as a way to get past the anger and to give myself a world where the character is still alive and I can be happy about the show. I think the fact that the main couple had their happy ever after - as if nothing bad had happened - is what truly angered me even more than the way the character was treated or why she was killed off.

I can definitely recommend watching the first six seasons of The Mentalist. As much as I wanted a seventh season, though, I almost wish they hadn't done it. I still can't rewatch season 7, although I think at some point I may be able to. Just not 7.10 or 7.11.

Scorpion is definitely handling this character death much better. It's still extremely emotional and very hard to deal with, and the character and the actress have certainly taken up residence in my heart. But there isn't the same sense that the character was brought in as a throw-away. Despite her illness, she's been an important part of the show, and while I'm sure her death will be a catalyst for changes in the other characters, it's not the same situation where that's the only purpose for her characters. I'm also fairly sure that the impact of her loss will be far-reaching and will affect the remaining characters for a long time to come - they won't be dancing at weddings two weeks later.

Beyond all that, Scorpion is very much worth watching. I'm so thrilled that this is one show I've watched since the beginning. It's probably one of the most intelligent shows I've seen since the early days of CSI. I've said before that it's something like TBBT because most of the main characters are geniuses who have a hard time dealing with what is considered normal social behavior. It's not a comedy, but it has comedy in it - some of which comes from watching these people try to live in a world they do not understand. But it's also a very challenging show that showcases advanced technology to deal with serious threats. There's a lot of real action - so it's also just fun to watch.
All of this, but the bold part. The BOLD PART. I went from hard core shipping the main couple (I only started reallly shipping them with the S6 finale but I was VERY invested in them once they got into a relationship) to absolutely loathing them, just because of this whole issue with the character they killed off. I 100% resent their happy ending when a month before the show ended I was hoping for it.

WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:23 AM
Master Fan

Something similar happend with HIMYM, they casted a sweet girl for the mother, just for the purpose to kill her off in the last episode

~Susanne ~
smoguntia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:02 AM
Ultimate Fan

I don't think there's been a finale more controversial than the himym finale, in recent times...

I heard that it had been planned for years too.
IcyBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyBerry (View Post)
I don't think there's been a finale more controversial than the himym finale, in recent times...

I heard that it had been planned for years too.
Yeah it'd been planned from the start. Which is awful because their characters took them places they weren't expecting (which they admitted) and then they still decided to go back to their idea from the beginning. That whole thing was just a mess.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:36 AM
Elite Fan

^^ Yeah...And to me that makes it worse because if they knew where the ends was going then why have Barney and Robin get married in the first place? Why introduce the mom and have us fall in love with her? HELLO! Either you stick with the plan or you let the story flow organically, but you can't have it both ways!
Musickat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musickat18 (View Post)
^^ Yeah...And to me that makes it worse because if they knew where the ends was going then why have Barney and Robin get married in the first place? Why introduce the mom and have us fall in love with her? HELLO! Either you stick with the plan or you let the story flow organically, but you can't have it both ways!
WHY SPENT LITERALLY THE ENTIRE NINTH SEASON ON THE WEDDING WEEKEND ONLY TO HAVE THE MARRIAGE BE OVER TEN MINUTES INTO THE VERY NEXT EPISODE AFTER IT HAPPENS

Old 11-18-2015, 08:59 AM
Master Fan

And that is the reason why haven't seen any HIMYM episode anymore since I read about the finale

~Susanne ~
Old 11-18-2015, 09:08 AM
Elite Fan

I watched some eps from season 2 and OMG I forgot how fantastic the show was then. SO FUNNY. (crying because it ended so badly. )
Old 11-18-2015, 12:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I watched some eps from season 2 and OMG I forgot how fantastic the show was then. SO FUNNY. (crying because it ended so badly. )
I can still watch the early seasons some. But I'll never marathon it again. Or even watch later seasons.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:52 PM
Elite Fan

I'll probably watch everything except the Finale. Try to pretend that it never happened.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:07 PM
Master Fan

Susanne - for when you go to London, I saw an advert for HMV - they have BBT S1-8 for £35. Probably not what you're looking for, but maybe they have S8 DVDs on sale too.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:11 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsical Elf (View Post)
Susanne - for when you go to London, I saw an advert for HMV - they have BBT S1-8 for £35. Probably not what you're looking for, but maybe they have S8 DVDs on sale too.
Yes thanks Vicky, I saw that tweet about the box advert last week. I hope the price will be the same next week. If they still offer it I probably going to buy it

~Susanne ~
Old 11-18-2015, 02:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I'll probably watch everything except the Finale. Try to pretend that it never happened.
I do enjoy watching scenes with Tracy. She actually became my favorite character.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:37 PM
Elite Fan

She was so adorable.

It's not even her dying that killed it for me. It was finding out that the show was really How I Tried To Convince My Kids That Dating Aunt Robin Was A Good Thing
Reply   Post New Thread