Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2017, 08:47 PM
Part-Time Fan

The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis (2x11)

Original air date: December 15, 2008

Quote:
Sheldon undergoes obsessive preparation to exchange Christmas presents with Penny, whose Christmas gift to Sheldon goes beyond Sheldon's wildest dreams. Penny starts dating a handsome physicist.
Continuing the summer break project of getting the rest of season 2 talkback threads up. Tommorow at 10e/9c this episode will be airing as a rerun on TBS. So if your available to watch this tomorrow it'd be nice if we can get some talkback for this fan favorite episode. Anyways, thoughts on this episode?
meka3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:13 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
The Big Bang Theory

This was the episode where I really started shipping Leonard and Penny. In the handful of episodes I'd seen before it, I knew that they'd been a thing at some point, but it seemed like it was over and they'd moved on. And then this episode showed there were still feelings involved, and I jumped on that ship so hard.
"Keep looking up, after it rains. Keep looking up."
big bang buzz . twitter . tumblr
ennaxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Perfect episode! My favourite of Season 2. I loved the shopping center scenes with Sheldon, Howard and Raj. And my personal highlight was the Spock napkin. I loved that hug between Penny and Sheldon it was so wonderful! (I mean in a friends way of course)
Oh and the gift Leonard gave to Penny was fun ( He got her 101 Totally Cool Science Experiments for Kids.) And then Leonards "You know´cause you´re so into science" I loved Johnnys delivery of that line And Pennys reaction to it
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~Icon by fanforum~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
BlackWhiteRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:52 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaxor (View Post)
This was the episode where I really started shipping Leonard and Penny. In the handful of episodes I'd seen before it, I knew that they'd been a thing at some point, but it seemed like it was over and they'd moved on. And then this episode showed there were still feelings involved, and I jumped on that ship so hard.
Yeah between this episode and the maternal capacitance Leonard & Penny started coming in to their own for me.

Anyways I'm surprised there wasn't a talkback thread for this episode til now. Especially since this one always seems to rank among the best episodes for a lot of people. Which I agree with.

Always love the guys debating comic book logic.

Wii bowling used to be a tradition in our family. Now it only happens once every 2 months at best.

"And that Charlie Brown is what boredom is about."

Penny took pretty fast to David. Proving she was full of it when she said, she felt Leonard was too smart for her. In reality, she felt she didn't relate to Leonard on any level which is what always scared her. Though that would change eventually.

"By the way my leg is killing me, thanks for asking."

Penny leaning on Leonard is an adorable visual.

Speaking of, there are few things more adorable than Kaley corpsing during a scene.

Love the gift giving scenes. Especially Leonard & penny's specific gifts.

Of course we got the iconic scene w/ Leonard Nemoy's napkin. And Sheldon hugging penny. But I always liked the fact that Sheldon felt all the baskets weren't enough to equal the napkin, and that he felt the hug would equal it. Of course Sheldon would open up even more, which is amazing in itself.

Anyways this episode gets an A+ (10 out of 10). Definitely a best episode ever contender.

Last edited by meka3000; 07-30-2017 at 05:31 PM
Old 07-30-2017, 01:21 AM
Master Fan

It's a good episode from the old days, a bit overrated for me in retrospect. It has some nice Leonard/Penny moments towards the end and is probably best remembered for the "Saturnalia miracle" of Sheldon hugging Penny.

But frankly, I don't like Penny in this episode. She more or less fell for David Underhill in the moment she saw him and completely disregarded Leonard's feelings. Having sex with a guy, she just met and didn't even bother get to know...oh well. Of course Penny had every right to act like this. Obviously she did not yet consider Leonard as "boyfriend material" at that time.

Penny showing up in the cafeteria of CalTech with David Underhill must have been like a punch in the gut for Leonard, considering that he had offered to show her around before and she always declined it.

And all the things David Underhill said about Penny. She being "curious and agile in other respects", (In other respects...yeah, we know what that means) or he working on an experiment with Penny exploring "the effects of tequila shots on a gorgeous 22-year-old woman" and Penny answering "It’s not an experiment! You saw what happened last night." Poor Leonard!

And when Leonard asked Penny...

"Okay, I have just one question for you. While I am perfectly happy with the way things are between us, you said that you didn’t want to go out with me because I was too smart for you! Well, news flash, lady, David Underhill is ten times smarter than me! You’d have to drive a railroad spike into his brain for me to beat him at checkers! Next to him, I’m like one of those sign-language gorillas who knows how to ask for grapes! So, my question is, what’s up with that?"

...I really would have liked to hear her answer if she had not discovered that David Underhill was married, when he tried to take nude photos of her.

Apparently she even already saw herself in a (serious?) relationship with David Underhill, as she spoke of herself as his girlfriend.

I know, Leonard was with Dr. Stephanie before and at the beginning of season 2 both Leonard and Penny went out with other people after their first date, so the writers were still fully into the "will they/won't they" mode for them, but...I don't know...as I said, I don't like Penny in this specific episode.

Overall it's a good episode, but it's not one of my favorites.

Leonard: "Am I like the dryer sheets of your heart?"
Penny: "Better. You’re the lint trap of my love."
~Martin~

Last edited by *luminous*; 07-30-2017 at 10:18 AM
*luminous* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:46 PM
Master Fan

It's like you said, the Napkin scene and the hug were iconic but as a whole the episode isn't one of my favorites either. I didn't like the whole scenes with Penny and David (ok, he was eye candy - that I enjoyed ) and how insensitive Penny was towards Leonard

~Susanne ~

Last edited by smoguntia; 07-30-2017 at 02:53 PM
smoguntia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:29 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoguntia (View Post)
It's like you said, the Napkin scene and the hug were iconic but as a whole the episode isn't one of my favorites either. I didn't like the whole scenes with Penny and David (ok, he was eye candy - that I enjoyed ) and how insensitive Penny was towards Leonard
See I would agree with you & luminous on this if it weren't for 2 things:

1.) Penny clearly got knocked down a peg when she found out that just because she felt she could relate to a smart guy like Dave in a way she felt she couldn't w/ Leonard (at least she didn't feel she could YET), doesn't mean the guy wasn't as terrible as her past boyfriend's w/ similar infidelity issues.

2.) The penultimate episode of season 2 indirectly reveals that Penny might've been trying to date guys that were like Leonard in similar ways w/ Dave & Stuart (and when she wasn't expanding her dating options w/ those 2, she went back to her comfort zone w/ guys like her ex Kurt). It showed Leonard and being w/ him was at least in her subconscious when it came to expanding her dating options.

At least for me that's why Penny's actions don't bother me in this episode.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:07 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by meka3000 (View Post)
At least for me that's why Penny's actions don't bother me in this episode.
Well, everyone sees it differently.

I for one can't stress enough how much Penny's actions bother me in this episode. Actually, her actions bother me so much, that I can't watch this episode anymore without feeling uncomfortable.

Leonard: "Am I like the dryer sheets of your heart?"
Penny: "Better. You’re the lint trap of my love."
~Martin~

Last edited by *luminous*; 07-31-2017 at 05:50 AM
*luminous* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:18 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWhiteRose (View Post)
Perfect episode! My favourite of Season 2. I loved the shopping center scenes with Sheldon, Howard and Raj. And my personal highlight was the Spock napkin. I loved that hug between Penny and Sheldon it was so wonderful! (I mean in a friends way of course)
Oh and the gift Leonard gave to Penny was fun ( He got her 101 Totally Cool Science Experiments for Kids.) And then Leonards "You know´cause you´re so into science" I loved Johnnys delivery of that line And Pennys reaction to it
This!

And I watch the episode again today
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~Icon by fanforum~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
BlackWhiteRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread