Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2016, 09:22 PM
Elite Fan

Oh really? I still want to see it though.

I don't find Ricky Gervais all that funny, but I think a lot of the time his humour does not transcend to Americans. British humour is very different We are very sarcastic and dry.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:08 AM
Elite Fan

yea yours is but ours can be too...we get you guys....at least a lot of us do he just takes it over the edge too often and is a little too enamored with himself I think. I just saw him interviewed on Kimmel and I was underwhelmed
Old 01-20-2016, 07:38 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah he does have a bit of an ego!! I grew up watching American sitcoms (Friends, Sex and the City etc) so I usually prefer American stuff to British! I've never seen a lot of famous British comedies....
Old 01-21-2016, 07:30 AM
Elite Fan

interesting.....of course you weren't even a twinkle in your parents eyes when those of my generation were buying Monty Python "records" and getting together and listening to them like a party and just laughing like crazy. Those were great times when comedy was not only cracking ppl up but making commentary sometimes as well. Then they hit the big screen and small screen. That is probably the only Brittish comedy I am really familiar with.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:20 PM
Elite Fan

Never seen Monty Python! Or Father Ted....

I watch a lot of American stuff...Modern Family, The Simpsons, Everybody loves Raymond...I find them funny....more so than stuff from my own country
Old 01-22-2016, 09:46 AM
Elite Fan

I watch Modern Family and when the Simpsons first came out we never missed one...they've been on for so long we mostly don't watch but when we do I always think I have to DVR that ...so funny Father Ted? I missed that one.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:56 AM
Master Fan

yeah i finally watched monty python and it was silly, but it's also not my sense of humour.
i love seinfeld and simpsons!

I'm Aubrey
Old 01-23-2016, 01:06 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah The Simpsons is a classic. I haven't seen it in ages but I do enjoy it. In University I had to do a module in cultural studies, and we had to write an article about how The Simpsons was the epitome of American/UK (well I guess most of the worlds!) family values. That was a fun class

Father Ted was about an Irish Priest....it's just stupid I think but was very popular back in its day!!

This gives you a rough idea what it was like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSW6oDckOjo
Old 01-23-2016, 08:11 PM
Elite Fan

no I never saw father Ted but others that were very similar. The one my mom is still watching...they still play here is As Time Goes By....I don't like that one but she does. Judy Dench was in that one.

Monty Python was silly but silly in a very different way than those little comedies..I would say very original relatively but of course that was way over 30 years ago so what was new then has been built on over and over and seems not so new
Old 01-23-2016, 10:16 PM
Elite Fan

Never heard of that one..... I am not very good at British cultural stuff!! Ooops!

I'm not really enjoying the new Modern Family episodes. I feel they're trying too hard and using way too much cliches, especially when it comes to Mitch and Cam.

I watched the movie Sisters last night, with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. It was pretty awful. Just so incredibly stupid. I normally love Tina Fey too....She's brilliant on SNL. But this movie... meh!!!

Last edited by Ekua; 01-24-2016 at 04:27 AM
Old 01-24-2016, 04:11 PM
Master Fan

That movie 'Sisters' looked like it was going to be pretty stupid.

My daughter and I watched "Minions' movie - it was laugh out loud funny, but it was cute/enjoyable. And boomers would like it, as it was set in 1968 (the later part of it) and had a lot of music from our youth. Gotta love those little Minions!

Father Ted? Never heard of him. My sister in law is watching Father Brown (mysteries) on PBS now.

Monty Python was very silly - they'd try everything and sometimes it would be hilarious and other times.. not so much.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 01-24-2016, 07:10 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah it did but I thought it would at least be funny enough it would get away with it....but nope.

My kids love anything Minions! Maybe i'll show it to them in the next few weeks when we have some free time.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I watched The Intern yesterday, it was cute!

Old 01-24-2016, 09:30 PM
Elite Fan

Ah yeah I enjoyed that Nice to watch something that didn't require too much attention!!
Old 01-25-2016, 04:10 PM
Elite Fan

I stumbled on The Intern a few weeks ago and enjoyed it too ... I love Vince!

Too bad about Sisters...that is a waste of talent they were both great in SNL I watched and really liked 30 Rock too

I'm not sure I've seen this season of Modern Family I tend to watch reruns periodically cause I don't have it on my DVR

I like Blackish...totally un PC in a good way..funniest thing on TV right not to me.