Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2016, 07:59 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for Jason's beautiful smile! I had a nice pick me up when I got home - Mlette was there to meet me at the subway. We had dinner, sat on the porch with Barbara, and watched the Netflix (I've had for over a month) "Belle" - very good movie set in mid 1700s England; guy has a baby with black woman on his travels, mother dies, so he drops the girl off at the family estate to be raised as his daughter, and then goes off to sea again... So she's a mixed race gal in a wealthy family, during the slave trade.. Lovely cast and good dialogue (people from Downton Abbey, Grantchester, Harry Potter - all the Brits). Very 'Sense and Sensibility' era.

Oh the zoo was very nice Ekua. It's a privately owned/run zoo, not run by the state, and it's very well kept up and BIG, but a long drive, in the middle of nowhere - we ran out of time to see everything. Must be doing well, too because they were constructing a huge building that was going to be a restaurant and function hall, etc. There's a white tiger (and regular tiger), lion and lioness, camels, monkeys, giraffes, deer, birds, lizards, tortoises, a petting zoo with teeny goats, some baby pot belly pigs and their mother... And kiddie rides, and a little train ride and a gondola ride above the park (I wanted to do that, but Mr ML doesn't like heights). And of course all sorts of little houses that sell snacks and gifts and ice cream and drinks and whatever you might need while trudging through the zoo. And you exit through the gift shop (like that Banksy movie title) where you can bring home souvenirs of your day. Oh emus, and peacocks, and kangaroos, and tapirs (and adorable brown and white striped/spotted baby tapir), and miniature muntjac deer. A very nice zoo!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
MyrnaLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:25 AM
Obsessed Fan

Love the pick-me-up PODMOM!
keepsmiling7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:14 AM
Master Fan

glad Jason worked his magic

Off to Liz and then Emily this weekend in DC.

I'll probably post from my phone.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:31 AM
Master Fan

Making Mlette's birthday stretch another week, we are going down to the Marshfield Fair today (not sure if BF is coming or not), little country fair with 4-H animals, carnival food and rides, quilts and big pumpkins and such. We've gone every year for awhile - were going to skip it this year, in favor of the zoo, but work had discount tickets so..

And tomorrow morning is the cousin's wedding, being held ?outdoors at an Audubon sanctuary - there's a mansion of some sort there - hoping it won't all be outdoors/that we can go inside (and there will be air conditioning?) Anyway, it will be a happy occasion and it's a very short drive from our place, so not even a lot of travel to get there. Now that I remember, my cousin (mother of the groom) got married at the Wayside Inn and the ceremony was outdoors too, but then we went inside the inn and had a sit-down wedding meal afterwards. It was very nice.

Another busy weekend in August! After this weekend, I am doing nothing! Staying home!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 08-28-2016, 07:16 PM
Obsessed Fan

It appears that PODMOM is busy visiting her daughters and ML has the big wedding and events.

WEN, how are you doing?

Hope everyone is well.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:10 AM
Master Fan

The wedding was indeed outdoors, with folding chairs (we got some in the shade - it was an Audubon sanctuary with lots of trees). Lovely wedding, couple was just glowing with joy and love... then lots of standing around on stone patio having drinks (gingerale for me) and hors d'oeuvres. Food was definitely strange, but bride is gluten free and maybe people were also vegetarians? I don't know. Finally got to go inside and sit down and there was AC and it was a beautiful oold mansion and all very nice (the food for the meal was even stranger than the appetizers). The cake was really good and two flavors - chocolate with a chocolate mousse filling and white with a white filling with fresh raspberries in the middle - mmm. (I ate both!)

The new Fellow came and it was his first Jewish wedding (it was probably everybody's first gay/transgender wedding). Turns out he can strike up conversations with anybody and was not too uncomfortable meeeting the odder side of my family (ahem). Mlette found a nice summer dress at the last moment. I absolutely hated the yellow ruffled flowered monstrosity of a dress I wore - it was the oddest sensation to wear something you hate! I felt like "you're fat and your mother dresses you funny."

Between walking our legs off at the Fair on Saturday and standing forever at the wedding Sunday, I was whupped - we went home and went right to sleep and slept the rest of the day until it was time for bed! Or time for Mr ML to go to work - poor guy went to the wedding on 2-1/2 hours sleep and he was not too happy about that.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 08-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Obsessed Fan

The wedding sounded lovely.......and unusual ML.
We have noticed that things have changed a lot since I got married, or my daughter for that. She's been married 31 years, so you would expect changes.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:20 AM
Master Fan

Things have definitely gotten more expensive!! And I think the brides are a lot fussier about choosing everything - we had no 'cake tasting' or anything like that. We rented a hall, the cake was part of the 'wedding package' I think. No say in the design or anything! There do seem to be a lot more new traditions and things people expect at a wedding. I'm already fretting if Mlette marries this new fellow - her father is one of 10 and his mother is one of 10 kids so - there are going to be a lot of people, no matter what! LOL, first I worry she'll never meet anybody and get married, now I'm worried that she met somebody and might get married!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 08-29-2016, 05:05 PM
Obsessed Fan

What would you do ML if you didn't have something to worry about?
Old 08-30-2016, 05:02 AM
Master Fan

keepsmiling We all worry and fret and it is like a rocking chair...it gets you nowhere

But I can understand the concern about a wedding where two families have so many members :O How wonderful that new BF is sociable and seemingly from that observation relatively self confident ML and that sounded like some wedding to be the first to go to. Now you have me very curious what this weird food was?!

My neighbor down the drive from us wanted my advice on wedding stuff since her daughter is getting married in March. It will be an odd wedding too. Very very small at their house. The groom is from Scotland ( not the weird part Ekua ) but the food is going to be chipotle ..that is one of the unique things

I should not be here but doing a fly by.

AL went well at Emily's now I am going to Liz to watch Tommy and the baby ( who is a little sick) while Liz volunteers at ALs school. Yesterday was her first day in 1st grade. All went well thank goodness. So far so good.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:40 AM
Obsessed Fan

PODMOM........first grade for AL......how exciting. Hope all goes well for her
So now you can be a wedding consultant. I'm sure you can save your neighbor from making some mistakes. That always helps.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:29 AM
Master Fan

They are catering the wedding from Chipotle! Hope they don't all get food poisoning! They definitely need a wedding advisor (you!) Reminds me of the wedding somebody had in PA at the Family Host cafeteria - can you imagine the guests sliding their trays through a cafeteria line, like school lunch!

Oh, the food was mostly vegetarian and gluten free. There was this stuff called 'barbecued jackfruit' that was supposed to be a chicken substitute (poor John thought it was chicken and took a lot, and then got a bad surprise) but was more like barbecue chopped up cabbage leaves (I read up on jackfruit afterwards, watched YouTube videos on how you cut it up/what parts you eat - lol.) There was a watermelon salad with onions. Some sort of gluten free pasta dish. Short ribs of beef (which are very fatty). And something that looked like mashed potatoes but wasn't, it was some sort of cheese grits or polenta? I'm not sure. I took very little and ate it sparingly/cautiously!

And the appetizers were sliced vegs (carrot sticks etc) and humus, plus potato chips! (And kale chips, and beet chips, and sweet potato chips) but really, has anyone ever served potato chips at a wedding reception? I don't think so?!

And they came around with these tiny hors d'oeuvres, one was a slice of fig with something on it, and a raw/fresh veg spring roll with like coleslaw inside and a hot sauce (really chewy/ugh), and some gluten-free toast with an artichoke spread and lemon zest (all you could taste was zest, which was nice) and one other thing - tiny fried carrot cup with chopped mushrooms in it (was tasty). So it was fancy but all very odd. Plus noplace to sit for the appetizers, and having to juggle a glass and a tiny plate (how do you eat, if you are holding glass and plate and can't put them down)?

Mlette was invited up to new BF's family cottage in Maine for Labor Day weekend. I was happy for her - and sad that she was going away. You want your daughters to find somebody and be happy, but then you miss them, I see what you mean PodMom!
I think she is going to marry this fellow, he seems to be the one.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 08-30-2016, 12:10 PM
Obsessed Fan

I see a wedding coming up in ML's future!
Old 08-31-2016, 04:44 AM
Master Fan

posting blind

I am off for 2 days. Driving to Ocean City MD not NJ t{ I would never choose to go there} o spend today and tomorrow ( tonight at a hotel) to hang with my sister and her husband and 2 of her sons and their families. They are much closer to us than where they love to taking the opportunity to visit. Haven't seen one of my nephews kids for perhaps 6 years or so. They are all teens now Cool thing is my daughter Emily is working with a client in Rehobeth DE today which is about 45 minutes away from OCmd so she is going to join us all for dinner then drive back to DC. So a mini family reunion today.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:33 AM
Master Fan

Hooray for family reunions! Those nephews do sprout up when you aren't looking. One of mine is getting married next year - everyone is looking forward to that wedding, although it will be in Buffalo, NY, where the (very nice) girl comes from.

Oh, sad - my sweet officemate Kassem moved to his other office down the hall - I came in and his computer was gone/desk cleaned off. He stopped by to say hello and bye and that he's only 2 doors down the hall, but it's not the same as sharing an office (heh, living together). I told him I'd miss him, and it's true! He is the nicest, smartest, funniest (tiniest) guy. He's moved in with the big, loud doctor lady - I was so glad when she moved out! I hope it works out having to share an office with her, but he's pretty easy going. So I'm down to two officemates, and both of them are usually busy doctoring and not in the office - at least until they move some new third person into that empty spot - space is at a premium around here and always new young doctors arriving for training... I should retire and free up all this desk/file space (my Journal and the papers take up some room).

Yay, I sent off the next alumnae column about my class for the college magazine before the deadline (tomorrow) - one year down, four more to go! What a pain! I am NEVER volunteering to do anything, ever again. That's what they say in the Army: never volunteer!

Funny, I was looking at the Ocala/Gainesville, FL area yesterday as potential retiring spots (nice rolling horse country of Northern/Central FL - the rest of the state is flat and hotter). So where is that tropical storm barrelling through today - yep, that exact area! Sometimes I think I should stay put, where the worst thing we get is winter (which is pretty bad, but not as bad as hurricanes, tropical storms, tornados, etc).. I don't know... we have to see what happens with Mlette, can't move away if there's a wedding to plan
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Reply   Post New Thread