Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2018, 04:20 PM
Master Fan

Dad's flu came with a terrible cough. Glad to hear you shook off the flu so fast - my throat is scratchy today and I'm terrified of getting the flu.

Thanks for the warning. Dad got a hospital bill for $103,000 but it was a 'this is not a bill.' Hoping his coverage covers it all. That would be a scary letter to receive so long after your Mom passed - almost sounds like some sort of scam. Glad you could sort it out.

Oh I know, I cut up Dad's credit card after closing it and then the Post Office wanted his credit card (online) to change his address back to here. Anyway the Post Office sorted it out for me. Waiting to get some mail here again, so Mlette can mail me down the certificates and some bills and such.

We brought some bags to Goodwill today but didn't work too hard. I was so exhausted yesterday I fell asleep at 8:30 and slept almost until midnight, and then went to bed and slept all night. I was TIRED. I spent most of the day researching the dish set from my grandmother, trying to identify the pattern (found it) and looking up some valuable collectible things to find out their value - sigh. Wondering what to do with all this stuff, finding out places to take them (found the country hazardous waste place for cleaning products, TV sets, computers etc etc). sigh.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 01-31-2018, 06:02 AM
Total Fan

PODMOM........so glad you checked in, I was worried about the flu. Sounds like you have your work cut out making selections at OC. I hate having so many selections to choose from.........just give me A or B. I can handle that.

Don't wear yourself out ML........seems like there is a lot of "hurry up and wait" with final records and paperwork.

I'm off to exercise class.......so everyone have a great day!
Old 01-31-2018, 10:37 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for worrying about me keepsmiling you are the nicest and you are setting a good example going to exercise class....I need to do something

OhI got mail about medical stuff and bills etc for months after mom died....don't throw out papers yet ML you won't have to pay yourself of course but your father probably actually has an estate so save it all for now. I hope you don't get sick. Stress and travel and just all of this stuff .....I'm glad you slept and I will be praying for you. I say do some dad stuff everyday but do some fun "I'm in Florida and not at work" stuff to!!!

Heavy day at bible study....one of the women broke down and shared all the different abuse she had experienced during her life....good she shared and we all felt for her and said things and I did my best and me and my coleader prayed but it isn't easy to know what to say. God willing he uses our efforts to His glory and her comfort.

2 of them had colds so I was sitting as far away as I could and came home and changed my clothes and of course washed my hands and now pray I can stay healthy for the next few days
Old 01-31-2018, 12:10 PM
Master Fan

We took a bunch of things to the recycling center today - TV, monitor, phones, old computer, printers, bags of batteries, you name it. Made a tiny dent in one room. It's really chilly here again (for FL, maybe 60s and cold breeze). I spent hours yesterday and this morning researching china patterns online to find out about Mom's dishes. Thinking I might pack up and take home Mom's good dishes and get rid of some of the good dishes I have at home now. They sure are pretty.

I looked at going up to Orlando to Disney or Universal - didn't realize it's a 4 hour drive (each way) from here (FL is a long state), so we'd have to stay up there in a motel and the Harry Potter things tickets are ridiculously expensive Still, it would be a fun Florida thing to do while we're down here. And I can check the AAA office for discount tickets. Florida residents get a discount (but alas, you need a FL drivers license). Then again, it's all a lot of walking and standing in line, and that walking around the nature preserve almost did me in the other day so.. hmm.

Oh that's both terrible and wonderful that the woman shared about various abuse. Hard to handle/moderate and know what to say. Faith will definitely help her with her burdens.

Scratchy throat gone this morning - phew, maybe it was too much sour lemonade and not col germs. That flu just scares me. Although the condo woman who had flu is back to work today, so people are recovering from it.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 01-31-2018, 04:31 PM
Total Fan

PODMOM.........that is such a terrible thing to go through for your Bible Study friend. We can't imagine how many people are abused and keep it to themselves. She was blessed to have you and your co-leader to help her out.

ML.........go up to Orlando and enjoy your self some while you are down that way. One of our family members had a destination wedding there, and it was such fun for all of us staying on property. We had all ages of the family, and that made it even more fun.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:12 PM
Passionate Fan

You're busy ML. Clearing out an estate and everything takes at least 12 months. Can take as long as 18-24. Always bigger and more complicated than first imagined. Taking your time and doing little bits each day is good advice. Also having fun while you're there is important. You're right at the beginning of your retirement. Make this as much fun as you can.

Finally we have some cooler weather. SUCH a relief. I'm not a lover of summer. Have been hardly able to do a thing. Had my first student return yesterday so had to tidy and vacuum. Place is looking better. Never really do well until I get back into the routine of work. So hard to get motivated. Must ring more students today and sort out timetables.

Have decided to do a trip to Vancouver for a couple of weeks and take the opportunity to visit family in London. The friend who took me to China has invited me on another of her holidays. I've got my tickets and my visa. Still have to book the hotels. Hoping her husband will help me with that. All seems small stuff but takes so long to get my head around it. My aunt and uncle are being great about me coming to visit. Hopefully it goes well. Haven't seen the bulk of the family for 20 years. Last time I visited was in 98 to say goodbye to my grandmother.

Glad you're not too sick Poddy. And you don't have to say too much to your bible study lady. Listening and nodding does more than almost anything else. She'll let you know if she needs more than that. And if you're worried then you just keep listening and let her know she can ask you for more if needed.

K glad you're enjoying your family. I have an elderly friend who's just gone into hospital because of a fall. Her daughter has recently arrived back in Aus after working overseas for a few years, her youngest son has been a rock through the year. Her middle son was on the other side of the country and faithful in calls but not much else. She really missed him, physically and mental/emotional distance. Well, with this disaster he's dropped everything and flown over to stay and look after his father while she's in hospital and rehab and has helped and thrown himself into everything he can. He's being a rock and wise and making decisions the others can't. My friend's heart is so full she's almost busting with joy.

Family is so important.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:01 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Stay safe everyone with the flu!

I am doing well.

Hope all is well my Obessies!

Hopefully we will get more Jason sightings in 2018! I miss that man but I am glad he is happy!
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!
Old 02-01-2018, 12:41 PM
Master Fan

Good advice keepsmiling - we should do some touristy stuff while we're here. We got some stuff appraised Dad thought was worth a lot - it wasn't and the antique place didn't want it . I was all for dropping it at Goodwill (box of plates) but Mr ML thinks he'll keep some - we don't have a lot of room in the car to take home a whole lot of my parents stuff. Very discouraged today. We got some boxes and some tape and bubblewrap. It's a start. SIGH. And we can't just empty the place because we're staying here for awhile. Can't sleep/eat on the floor!

Mezz those are exciting travel plans! Vancouver is supposed to be very nice. And London! That's great you have a travel friend to help. I'm glad it is cooler and you are starting up with your students again (even though it requires tidying).

That's wonderful that your friend's son stepped up and came to help when she was in hospital. Family will (pleasantly) surprise you sometimes. Getting old and sick is not a cheerful prospect. I'm pretty sure Florida living isn't for me, now that we're here for awhile. At least not in this town, that I was considering. It's so densly populated and they are throwing up new developments every day, on every available space. So many cars, such big highways. Mr ML has been a champ, driving around everywhere. The new car with the navigation system (plus computer at home to look things up) has been a blessing!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 02-02-2018, 06:42 AM
Total Fan

MEZZ........your upcoming travels sound so wonderful. I know you will enjoy every minute of the trips. You must come back later and share the details.

ML.....are you still buried under the treasures you dad kept? That all reminds me to get really serious about cleaning out and getting rid of things. When ever the grandkids visit and express an interest in anything, I encourage them to take it with them right now. Right now a granddaughter is getting much use out of my old Singer portable sewing machine.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:03 PM
Elite Fan

Ros10 nice to see you

ML I can kind of feel your clutter/stuff pain. I started on our hoarder basement and it is daunting....feels good though. Bit by bit. Like keepsmiling said I am motivated to not leave my kids with a giant mess! Podad will be a big problem but when I get everything done and thrown out that is just my domain we will have to get him moving I had one golden find.....pictures from when Emily was born and a couple years after. I have been so sad for years and couldn't understand where they were.
I found them and lots of other pictures from that era and I am so thrilled. I must of been busy with a newborn and 5 year old and didn't put them in books. I was really good about putting pix in just plain old albums non of the crafty ones so I must have shoved them in a box...we moved and they got buried. SO that was a silver lining to the mess.

Hang in there ML this too shall end in the meantime do go to Disney

keepsmiling I wrote a long email to my bible study group and thanked her for sharing and saying of course that is what the body is for...to support each other. She called and we talked for around 2 hours and wants to talk more. All my years of good counselling sure come in handy. I was relieved she is open. She has doubts about believing in the bible and God and felt like she was alone in that. Of course I could tell her it is common especially in the early stages of the journey. I told her I pray....from the father of the sick son in the new testament....I often pray..."I believe Lord help me with my unbelief" I felt relieved to have had that long talk with her.

Emily will be here soon. Making a cake and her favorite dinner and will be wiping everything with Clorox wipes soon....even though podad has been fever free for like 10 days we will be careful.

I've had very hard news regarding my brother Chris. He needs more female hormones since his cancer is growing and he found out it would cost him almost 3,000.00$ a month. He won't deplete his savings that his wife will need....he won't take money from us which we can afford he is trying to get financial help but he makes more than 60,000 a year so he is in the no mans land of too much money to qualify and not enough to pay so much. It has a 30% chance of helping significantly...not a cure but give him maybe up to 5 more years. Please pray for someone to have mercy. He has lots of insurance...it pays for some of the medicine ( he's on medicare too and pays for a suppliment and medicine. Lots every year ( he is self employed) but it doesn't help enough. Very upsetting.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:32 AM
Total Fan

PODMOM.........that is very sad and upsetting news about your brother. This cancer business is bad enough by itself, but have to go broke during treatments is not a good answer. I will pray for him.

On the lighter side PODMOM, couldn't help but identify with the problem of not organizing Emily's baby pictures. I had three children, my son, daughter, and step daughter all have three each. In every case by the time number three arrived, it appeared they raised themselves because there is no evidence of their child hood. I'm so glad you found the pictures of Em..........now you can compare when her baby arrives.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:32 PM
Master Fan

Yes, the first kid gets all the photos and by the second kid, the parents are too busy/have lost interest! That's why I tried to give equal time to my kids and take lots of pix of both of them. Lucky for Mr ML and his 9 siblings that photography was his Dad's hobby so there are pictures of all of them!

I bought a couple of boxes of peel and stick tile and am going to cover up Dad's hideous formerly white sheet vinyl kitchen floor. It's not a big area, maybe 4 x 8. I don't know why I think I can do it myself, with my knees, but I do! Tiles look like beige stone - will look very nice. ;D

Oh, I was doing laundry and I realized the on/off valve thing (which Dad religiously turned off and on, thereby wearing it out) was leaking, and pouring water inside the wall behind the washing machine! I found the card for Dad's plumber and called them Friday. Luckily it only leaked in the 'on' position and not when turned off. Anyway, plumber called this morning and said he was coming to fix a similar job at another condo in this development, and then would come here. I thought he could just replace the shutoff, but no - had to cut the whole box out of the wall and put a new one, leaving gaping holes in the drywall. BUT, he said the handyman guy happened to be working next door and he went over and asked him if he could come in and patch the drywall and the guy said sure. The plumber plumbed, the handyman patched - voila! Working washing machine and wall behind it good as new! It truly was a miracle - I'm sure Dad was watching over us, trying to make things go smoothly.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 02-05-2018, 04:38 PM
Total Fan

ML.......I hope you don't run into any more problems to be repaired. You never run out of things to do there, do you?
Old 02-06-2018, 02:51 PM
Master Fan

Well I bought two boxes of peel and stick floor tiles and tiled my Dad's kitchen in the condo today - took me about 5 hours, sweated unbelievably, felt like a mule kicked me in the butt by the time I finished. It's crooked and imperfect, but it looks 100% better than what's underneath it! Pretty sandy slate looking tiles. Clean, newn, nice! Then I soaked in the warm swimming pool and let the inflow water jets beat on all my achy spots!

No, never run out of things to do! I hope I'll be able to walk tomorrow!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 02-07-2018, 08:49 AM
Total Fan

ML........your new tile floor sounds like an improvement. But it sounded difficult to do. We have given up on those kind of projects. Once a long time ago I tried to wall paper a small bathroom. The stripes were going every direction but straight, so I immediately got on the phone and called a professional. What he didn't know is that I would have paid him three times what he charged just to finish it up.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread