Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2018, 06:28 PM
Master Fan

Thanks keepsmiling for keeping the homefires burning! My son returned to Texas this morning but my brother and his wife are here for 3 more days and we (husband has) been driving them around and thinking up various activiies for them. Although they were too jet lagged and just stayed in bed one of the days, and that day we took my son to play miniature golf and out for Chinese food, which was a nice day (they missed it!)

We took a narrated cruise around the Boston harbor on a tour boat yesterday - took the subway there and back, which was another adventure for my California relatives. Too bad it was a terrible rainy day, but I packed a bag of umbrellas and handed them out to everybody! My son and daughter came with us on the boat. It was interesting, I think, and we ate lunch out afterwards. But another exhausting day.

And today it turned hot and humid (from chilly and rainy) - just for one day, weird weather, and we drove down to visit my Uncle and Aunt in Connecticut (about 3 hours drive, each way) so my brother could see his Uncle and Aunt. At 92, who knows how often we'll be able to see them.

I'm so tired I can't see straight and they are here for 3 more (activity filled) days!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 09-28-2018, 10:33 AM
Total Fan

Thank you for checking in ML..........are you still acting as tour guides?
Did you have a nice visit with your son? It's always nice when we can be with our children without their spouses.

Time for PODMOM to check in and let us know if she is still alive. Are you still down at OC?

Have lots to do here at home, but I don't want to do any of it. Think I'll just go take a nap.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:25 PM
Elite Fan

I hope you had a good nap keepsmiling

I'm alive.... but I needed today to recoop. I was in OC with Emily podad and the baby after her friends left last Sunday. We stayed the 4 of us there ( in the rain) till Wednesday. Then I drove in the back seat with the baby while Emily drove to Lizs where we stayed till Friday ( Anna Lee is so good with the baby..she can hold her all by herself and does great entertaining her...she loves babies) then Emily and baby and I drove to DC..me in back with baby...I stayed there about 1;2 and hour then I drove home in all the Friday traffic . Then Saturday my brother inlaw stopped on his way to Maine so I cooked a good dinner. Today other then church and a walk with podad I just sat in my recliner and watched TV. Still at that

ML I saw your pix of the family and your son on FB. So good to see him home!! I wish his life was easier. I'm sure he loved being home. That was a lot of family and doing your dads unveiling ….I hope you are reating up now!

I don't feel like doing any of the stuff I have to do either keepsmiling
Old 10-02-2018, 05:54 AM
Total Fan

PODMOM is alive and well. Just business as usual with the family. Thank you for checking in.

We had a wonderful weekend with family in. I know it is busy when I have to run the dishwasher two times a day. Thank goodness for dishwashers!

Hi ML!
Old 10-02-2018, 10:09 AM
Elite Fan

I'm glad you had a nice time with the fam keepsmiling….and yes that is a lot to run a dishwasher twice!!! You need paper products next time
Old 10-05-2018, 06:15 PM
Master Fan

I survived all that family and entertaining the California folks. By the time we dropped them at the airport on Saturday, I was so relieved to see them head home!
We picked them up Saturday when they checked out and drove over to my cousin's house for lunch - She and her husband made a lovely lunch in their big fancy house (place we go to Passover sometimes). So we ate and visited and then rushed them off to the airport to their afternoon plane. Phew!

It was really good to have my son here. I wish my son had been here longer (and my brother and his wife not here so long). But they were very gracious and grateful and enjoyed everything, and I know they haven't taken a real vacation in many years, as they are self employed and if they dont' work, nobody pays them!

We did lots of stuff with them, although they bailed on a few days to rest - one day they had jet lag and needed to rest, another day it POURED rain and was chilly and we'd planned to walk around here and there, so we didn't do that, and went out to dinner instead. Took them on the subway to a Harbor cruise and out to lunch, drove them up to Salem to see the witchy history stuff up there, drove them to Connecticut to visit our Uncle Fred and his wife (Dad's younger brother - at ?92). It was a lot in one week.

Took my son (and daughter) to the apple orchard; we went with him for miniature golf and Chinese food (one of the days they begged off and rested). And we took him to tour the local stone-ground chocolate factory and to the Marshmallow Fluff festival (along with Lila's boyfriend; he came on the trip to Salem with us as well). So I think everyone enjoyed themselves. Phew!

I've been sleeping late and recovering, but I just got the flu shot so that made me draggy for a few days. I got the stronger one for people over 65, but it didn't make me feel as bad as flu shots usually do, which surprised me. Figured if it was 'stronger' it would make me feel worse. I hope it does the trick to avoid the flu!

I've been baking those oat cookies I ate in Cape Breton since I got home - just did the 4th batch of them. Figured out I've made over 200 oat cookies since last month.

That's Swedish pearl sugar on top (not rock salt, like it looks!)
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 10-06-2018, 10:06 AM
Total Fan

Have you ladies noticed that it takes a little longer to recover from visiting family and friends than it use to? If you don't, just wait and it will take much, much longer the next few years.

I remember when company would drive out of the drive-way, I'd get the vacuum cleaner out, change sheets and start the washing machine. Long gone are those days! Now I don't even change sheets because my daughter and granddaughter come pretty often and I just figure they will be back in two or three weeks and can sleep on the same sheets.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Hubby is busy with football games and I'm trying to catch up on some projects I've ignored lately. ML..........those cookies look very good!
Old 10-06-2018, 02:32 PM
Master Fan

It is certainly taking me awhile to recover from entertaining company! I've been sleeping later and later in the morning since they left.

sorry those cookies are so BIG!

Wow, I saw an ad for a cruise on one of those small ships up the coast of New England (they have another up the Mississippi) - looked them up online - they are $6,000 to $12,000 per person!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan

Last edited by MyrnaLynne; 10-06-2018 at 02:57 PM
Old 10-13-2018, 05:39 AM
Total Fan

ML........you are right, the cruise fares are getting higher and higher. We get a brochure about every other day and I am amazed. We took lots of cruises at a much better cost. Besides that, I could never go on one of ships with thousands of others. We selected the trips with about twelve hundred passengers.

My daughter and her children are cruising the Greek Islands out of Venice right now.
They wanted to take a pre-holiday trip after Jay died. This would be before my grandson in DC starts applying for grad school for his Masters/PhD in economics. He will soon be busy with interviews.

Hope you are completely rested up ML.........now ready for your next adventure. We've had my granddaughter from Ann Arbor, MI here all week. She works with the test kitchen for Domino's Pizza and was doing some undercover work at local franchises for corporate. We loved hearing about her experiences and having her here for a few nights.

Enjoy your weekend everyone.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:12 AM
Master Fan

keepsmiling what a cool job your granddaughter has - Pizza Sleuth! So nice she can stay with you too.

Wow, that cruise around the Greek islands sounds so nice - that beautiful water and those colorful houses. I'd like to see that some day, maybe.

I think there are still decent cruise deals - in fact, I worry about all the 'incentives' they are giving now, like free liquor! I would NOT want to cruise with people who are drinking as much as they want the whole time! They drink enough when they have to pay for it!

I totally agree agree - under 2,000 people on a cruise ship is about the right number. That one we went on with 5,000 people was insane!

LOL, all those cookies are nearly gone now - Thinking about what kind to make next.
Really dragging around, not sure why. Cold weather is suddenly here (after unseasonable HOT weather and then torrential rain). It was in the 40s this morning!

We drove up to New Hampshire yesterday to visit one of my Star Trek ladies and her (elderly) husband for lunch. The foliage is turning and it was a very pretty trip!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 10-16-2018, 03:37 PM
Total Fan

ML........we are having cold weather too. The temp is in the 40's, and I hate cold weather. I have Bible Study tonight and would rater stay at home and keep warm.

Had a wonderful visit with my MI granddaughter. This weekend my youngest son and family will be coming in from the Dallas area. The 12 year old grandson has been involved in Cotillion. I didn't realize folks still did that. My daughter and family have just returned from their Greek cruise. A good time was had by all I understand.

PODMOM...hope all is well with you and your growing family.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:59 PM
Master Fan

Wow, I didn't know anybody held cotillions anymore either!

And 40 is very cold for Texas. The weather is just so strange and up and down. But it's getting into the 30s over night - Brrrr! Bringing out the winter hats and scarves and all those things. I still need to put away the summer pjs and bring out the flannels. Flannel sheeets are next!

I was really surprised when I got invited to the awards dinner for Mass General Hospital, for having worked there 20 years! Even though I was retired and didn't work there! I thought it was a mistake. I guess the few (hellish) months I worked per diem for Mrs Boss after I retired, before I quit put me over the line to 20 years.

Although I actually worked there almost 30 years, but I stopped working there for a short while so they didn't count the first 12 years - 'break in service.' I was so happy because I always regretted missing out on the big fancy dinner at a hotel they give for everybody over 20 years of service, plus they give you some sort of gift too. And then, surprise, I got to go after all.

So I was surprised but happy, and since they offered vegetarian meal option and Mlette my daughter worked there part time for years too, I brought her as my guest. Mrs Boss and Wendy the Secretary were there - it was Mrs. Boss's 50 years of working there!! Wow.

It was just as lovely a time as I imagined, although it was huge - they had a sit down dinner for about 800 people in the biggest ballroom I've ever seen - it was like 4 or 5 wedding receptions put together! And they served everybody steak AND fish for the meal - filet mignon and salmon! The waitstaff was amazing too. Can you imagine preparing and serving 800 (fancy) meals!? (Or cleaning up afterwards?)

It's too bad we don't eat that stuff, but for appetizers they had the usual cheese and bread and veggies but also they had a huge seafood bar of shrimp and oysters and mussels and such (yuk), plus various charcuterie cold cuts - and an open bar. Very impressive.

Oh and I thought you got a clock or a silver bowl or something but now they gave you a code, and you could go online and pick out your gift! And they had about 20 things to choose from. Very nice. The things were all about $30-$40 gifts. Wow, I bet when you work there 65 years, they give you a Mercedes or something.

So nice end to my career and I'm getting a ladies watch with the MGH logo, as I figured in the old days when people retired, they got a watch. Mrs. Boss wanted to know if I was bored and missed working (for her). No, nope, not at all.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 10-21-2018, 07:36 AM
Elite Fan

Hi ML and keepsmiling

brief SO on your posts before I start packing yet again

keepsmiling I do notice I need to recoop between visits as I age! I need more time between now that I have to travel so much between two sets of families. It is a strain and not great for podad and I . It will calm down soon though when Grace gets into school and Emily is the one with tiny ones. It is hard to not covet all my friends and my brother who have kids living near them but I try hard to be grateful that I can drive and pray I stau healthy enough for a while longer.

Those cookies do look great ML and Im so happy for you that you got to the fancy party and Mlette could go

this is just a copy of part of what I put on the Behrcave thread now >>>

I have had a totally busy grandkid time again. I got home here in PA...for last night ( met sister inlaw for dinner with podad and saw her pix from her 2 week trip to southern Italy. Such an ancient and beautiful place.

Now I am headed to DC today to be with Emily and Margot while Robbie on a business trip. Head home Thursday but have to go right to Liz's so she can chaperone a Tommy fieldtrip Friday. I'll be back in PA home Friday after that. I'll be trying to post from my travels.....not much downtime at those places though.

Wishing everyone a good week ahead. Who knows it could contain Jason news
Old 10-22-2018, 07:35 PM
Master Fan

We took Mlette's boyfriend John out Sunday for his birrthday (his birthday was Friday, but his parents got him Friday, and his sister and brother-in-law celebrated with him Saturday - popular guy!) Brought him presents and he and Mr ML went comic book shopping together, while I hung out with my daughter and we tried to make conversation (have I mentioned she's a clam?) and then we all went out to eat at a new-to-us restaurant they'd seen on TV on one of those local restaurant review shows. It was kind of a long drive but it was very nice. (Although the waiter was an over-sharer and sort of young and bumbling. But funny). And then we watched the football game with them (on their much bigger TV). Very nice day!

That comic book store was so nice, Mr ML drove back up there today to shop more. He's almost finished painting the living room. Just one doorway to finish. But there was a spot I wanted him to touch up (some paint came off when he ripped off the blue masking tape by the woodwork) and guess what - he used up the paint and threw the can out! So I guess we'll need to buy a little bit more paint.

Cold weather is really coming fast. I chopped back the grapevine for the winter, filled up two bags with vines. Time to start raking leaves soon. I am really dragging lately, not sure why, might be change of season, or allergy season, or the flu shot I got. I don't know but my get up and go has got up and went!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 10-24-2018, 06:42 AM
Total Fan

PODMOM.........so glad you got to check in for a bit. You are travelling far and wide to help with those grandbabies. You will always cherish those times and memories.

ML.......your family does lots of celebrating. Sounds good to me! Your 20 year achievement was finally recognized. Better late than never.

My laptop has been sick with a virus, and it also needed a new hard drive. I have just retrieved it from the Computer Nerdz, so I can catch up on everyone now.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread