Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Summer TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2018, 12:13 PM
Master Fan

It was so cold we stayed in bed a long time, too keepsmiling. Yes, time to take down some decorations, and we need to get rid of the bunches of boxes things came in that are piling up.

My Dad sounds really really horrible - he can't shake the awful cough, it's hard for him to talk, I'm really worried.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
MyrnaLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:01 PM
Master Fan

I so hope he recovers and that you get to spend some real quality time with your dad ML this is a worry are the health people talking to you? Giving you a real idea of his prognosis?

We just saw the super moon ...it was awesome.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:24 AM
Obsessed Fan

Washing machine is going strong.
Bible Study is cancelled for tonight.
I am getting cabin fever!
Oh well I can get out and wrap the water faucets for tonight when it is suppose to be 27 degrees.
Have I mentioned I hate cold weather?
Hope everyone is safe and warm.......
keepsmiling7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:23 PM
Master Fan

Hope it warms up for you keepsmiling! My friend in Charlotte, NC said it was 21 there! Cold cold everywhere (but Fl and California).

The hospital called; they did a bronchoscopy on my Dad and unplugged his lungs of the stuff he couldn't cough up (ew) and plan to transfer him to a skilled nursing facility to recover before hopefully returing to the assisted living (G-d willing). I wish we were down there already! I wishe we'd gone weeks ago (and missed this bitter cold). But I'm still working on all sorts of details to get ready - everything is so complicated right now. And it's supposed to snow maybe a foot on Thursday and then be below zero again.

This unrelenting bitter cold is just the worst. Oh, and my sister-in-law in California has also been sick, went to the doctor - she has pneumonia! Never rains, but it pours...

Wen is having her back treatment that she gets periodically for the back pain today. Sending her a healing hand!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 01-03-2018, 06:31 PM
Obsessed Fan

WEN........I echo ML's healing hand request for your back. No one can understand real pain unless they deal with back problems day after day.

ML......sounds like they are taking good care of your dad. I know you will be glad to get down there and check on him.

I am so sorry everyone is dealing with such terrible bitter cold. Our situation is inconvenient, but nothing to compare with the northeast.

We have a sad event coming Saturday, one of my very good friends from church lost her son two weeks ago. They still have unanswered questions but I think they have decided he was using heavier drugs than they suspected and that he got a bad batch. So very sad! There will be a memorial service Saturday.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:34 PM
Master Fan

keepsmiling Yes you have mentioned you hate the cold I hope your pipes stay ok! Sounds like you have gotten back to normal after all the company. Good job. I hope you get out soon.

ML It does sound like dad is getting good care. I know this weather tomorrow you are getting hammered so is OC....we are to get 1-3 in and I am having my girlfriend Christmas party tomorrow....only one girl has to drive a little to get here the other 2 can walk. I hope Michelle makes it. I talked to her and she says she thinks she'll be fine. I hope it stays more east than they think Thanks for letting us know about Wen and I am with keepsmiling praying for relief from such difficult 24/7 pain

I went to Liz's and spent the night. Ran tons of party errands on the way home so I don't have to go out in the snow tomorrow. Yesterday was my sisters birthday. It was a very emotional day and I was so grateful to be with Liz. We cried a lot on and off and talked to brother inlaw. It just has been a hard holiday season capped off with her birthday.

We got very good news yesterday and although it was hard not to be able to call and tell Linda ...Emily found out the genetic testing on her baby. It is healthy thus far...no genetic issues and IT"S A Girl Emily so so wanted a girl so now she can relax if she has all boys next it was a blessing on a hard day and seemed special to find out on Linda's Bday. She would be happy for Emily Emily is going to use Linda's middle name,,,Jane,,, for her baby. She can't work Linda into their name but Jane will work and be in honor of her beloved aunt
Old 01-03-2018, 08:01 PM
Master Fan

Oh PodMom that's wonderful news about Em's baby - a girl, and a healthy girl, that's all you can ask for! And a spot of joy after the sad birthday for your late sister, too. MLette was born not long after Uncle Ted (Mr ML's mom's brother) died very suddenly, and I always thought it was one of those 'universe balances out' events, a life ends, a new life begins. (sigh) Jane is a lovely name, strong and simple (like little Grace).

So happy for my nephew's new son - had a wonderful photo, all gowned and masked up, holding the baby right after he was born, and his son is just staring at him so attentively and alertly. He was always sort of rough around the edges, you know tattoos and motorcycle type, but he is such a loving and devoted and hard working father, it makes my heart happy.

The hospital plans to move Dad to a skilled nursing facility in a day or two - the woman called and told me the name of the place, and I looked it up and it has terrible reviews! Now I wish more than ever that we were there already to keep an eye on him, if they stick him in a so-so place to recover., with nobody looking in every day/watching out for him. He still sounds terrible on the phone; I feel so bad for him.

But I'm glad we aren't leaving early/trying to travel anywhere now on the roads - we're going to get a foot of snow, maybe more than a foot tomorrow, with 50-70 mph winds, a big storm - and then temps are going to plunge back down and be below zero overnight again for a couple of days.

Actually today was a blessing because it went all the way up to a balmy 30 degrees so the heat wasn't running every minute and we could go out and do a LOT of little errands before the storm. I bought winter snow mats for the new car and it was too cold to go outside and put them in the car until today! Wanted to get them in before the blizzard. And tonight will be warmer, not dip to zero or below, and tomorrow it will warm up more, maybe to 34, because of the snow (I don't think it can snow when it's super cold).

I also went into my old job first thing today with some proof of ID, so Mrs Boss could sign me back up to work per diem for her (and so she could pay me for the tiny bit of work I did for her already in December). Wanted to get that done before the snow storm and while it was 9 degrees or whatever out. Didn't miss anything about the place, didn't miss the long trip in and back. Did bring home a few bagels from the good bagel store near work, so that was a good trip. Plus I left off a big bag of Lindt chocolate balls I got as a gift and am not going to eat, so the secretary can put them out in her candy jars for the doctors. (And then, didn't Barbara come over for tea with a little bag of chocolate balls? I know she's being kind, but sometimes I think she's trying to kill me...)

Anyway, we did lots of things, along with EVERYBODY else. It's like the panic shopping people do before hurricanes. We went one place to get ice melter (paw safe, of course ) as ours was almost gone, and they said they'd been sold out for 2 days! But we got a new shovel there - and everybody in line seemed to have a shovel (or two).

It surprises me, every time there's a big snow, people go out and buy shovels. Do they throw them away after each storm, I wonder?

Or are there that many 'new' people who aren't prepared for winter and have just moved North. Always a mystery why every time it snows, people buy shovels (we have a bunch of shovels in the basement, but one of them wore out last winter and we needed a replacement).

Went to another place that had a good stock and got two jugs of ice melter, but the parking lot there was so crazy, Mr ML dropped me off to run in the store, while he circled around and then picked me up. Also stood in a long line at the grocery store for some lottery tickets, too, because nobody has won since ?Oct and the jackpots are up over $400 million! Wouldn't that be a nice send-off to our snowbirding in Florida/start to my retirement? Dream, on, eh.

Anyway, we did so much today that I sat down to watch the basketball game on TV with Mr ML and I slept through the entire game!

Oh Wen came through her procedure okay; is getting the second side done January 9 - Usually she does one end of the year in Dec and the other beginning of the year in Jan, but for some reason it didn't work out like that this year. Hope she has a good recovery and starts to feel better/less pain soon!

I'm scared for our pipes too as I've seen temps of -10 or -17 below for the weekend and it has NEVER been that cold here (I don't think). But after that, I think it will be better. I pray it will warm up and calm down for our travels! It even snowed in Tallahasee and never snowed there in 28 years before!

Well I almost have all the details taken care of (I hope) and stuff in place, so I can do my worst thing all next week - PACK! And celebrate Mr ML's birthday of course

And then we're off!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 01-03-2018, 08:50 PM
Master Fan

ML I'm sorry that place had bad reviews. Frustrating for sure. You will be there soon he will be so glad to see you and he will get a boost from that and get better

Yikes this super storm stinks. Me too I was out among the frantic shoppers and I was just shopping for my pary. I'll be bummed if I have to postpone due to Michelle not coming. Hoping for the best.

I bet the kids get off school tomorrow so that would be good because they still are recooping...well Anna Lee and Grace ( Tommy has a great immune system..he is all better) my poor Liz is pooped but keeping calm and carrying on
Old 01-04-2018, 05:58 AM
Obsessed Fan

ML.........I wonder about reviews on certain locations. The only time I ever leave a review is when I am very unhappy with the service and situation. Other than that I expect the service or product to be presented as advertised. But could just be me, I know hubby's daughter lives and breathes by reviews

PODMOM.......this really is emotional season for you. I know my first hubby died Thanksgiving, and I still hate that holiday 36 years later. You were lucky to spend some time with Liz to share your loss.
I am loving your family names. I might have already mentioned that Grace was my mother's name. My daughter's third child was going to be named Grace, but he turned out to be Hayden instead. My wonderful mother-in-laws name was Janie Ruth. I have a granddaughter named Janie for her.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:23 AM
Master Fan

Snow days are the upside to these storms, for the kids! I hope the grandkids have a day off to recuperate, Poddy. Everything is cancelled here, we're in for over a foot of snow, I've heard. It is snowing like crazy right now. And of course Mr ML is restless, so he just went out to shovel and burn up some energy, even though it's a waste of time until the snow stops falling and blowing around!

Sorry for the sad anniversary that spoiled Thanksgiving for you keepsmiling. Some things you just don't forget/get over. sigh.

My son was going to be Sarah Rose, but then it was a boy! Surprise! And then I didn't want my daughter to get a 'second hand' name left over from her brother, so had to come up with something else!

I hope she's off work today and not driving back and forth to the hospital in this blizzard to day (worry). Glad we got errands done yesterday but WHY I thought we didn't need any groceries before the storm is a mystery to me - now it seems like the fridge is EMPTY. Oh well, it's just supposed to snow today and stop. That shouldn't be so bad - people will shovel out and carry on once it stops. Just hoping the power stays on, that's the big thing. (worry) But it should be okay (I hope!)

Florida is looking more and more attractive! Dad is so looking forward to us coming too, I think that (and making it to his 95th birthday, if possible) are the two things keeping him going right now.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 01-05-2018, 11:01 AM
Obsessed Fan

Thinking of you ML......and PODMOM too with that terrible storm. I do hope you didn't lose power, that would be awful without heat. I can't imagine that much snow, much less what to do with it. It looks very pretty in the pictures, but not so much when you have to navigate in it.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:33 PM
Master Fan

keepsmiling That was a very hard time to loose your first husband he and you were so young you are an amazing woman the way you have handled your life both good and challenging parts.

We didn't get much snow just really cold and windy. I had my party and it was a nice time...busy for me but it went well. Then today we ran into podads sister Anne and her husband at the financial ppls we both go to....decided to have lunch and then I asked if they wanted to come to dinner and help us eat all the left over food we had and see the Christmas decorations and enjoy a fire and they came so I did a lot of it all over They went to Iran for a vacation in October....I know seemed crazy but they had a great time and lived so they showed us their pictures via computer to TV.

ML How are you holding up? I know you got a lot of snow I hope all is well and that you guys are cozy and warm and not too worn out from the shoveling out plus packing. Tikes. Hang in there!

OC got hammered too.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:25 PM
Obsessed Fan

I still learn something every day........ML.....you mentioned snow melters earlier. Don't thin I have ever hear of them before. I remember my son-in-law had a snow blower when they lived in Nebraska, and he was very happy to leave it in Nebraska when they moved to Houston.

Attended the memorial service this after noon for my friend's son. It was a nice celebration of his life. A very large crowd attended, mixture of people from the music industry in Austin, his office co-workers at Apple and the members of our church. They still don't know why, but are beginning to think he was in more pain than they suspected. His mom wants to think he didn't commit suicide on purpose.

Everyone stay safe and warm. ML......how is your packing coming along?
PODMOM, I didn't realize they planned to have genic testing on Emily. Was there a special reason for concern?
Old 01-09-2018, 11:03 AM
Master Fan

Yes, it was a very tough week, with the bitter cold and then almost 2 feet of snow, and then went to 10 below zero Too cold to sit by the window/at the computer and post anything.

But it has warmed up above freezing, what a blessing!

Then our power started doing the blinking and surging thing; called the power company and they sent out a bucket truck and fixed it at the pole/wires, but guy said we weren't properly grounded, so an electrician is coming tomorrow to check that out. It's an old house with old wires. And last year we had the same thing, and they fixed the wire at the pole and didn't say we had to do anything else, it was fixed! We had a surge and smelled burning wires - but nothing seemed to be burning - clock radio got fried, that was it. SIGH. I was terrified.

Then Dad's neighbor called to say Dad was very bad and I should call and check etc. And I did and things sounded okay/reassuring. And today case manager lady said things looked pretty bad for Dad and I should get down there before Tuesday So I have to figure out when I can fly down there; trying to get my daughter to come with me, as she's a nurse and good with this stuff and I don't really want to go alone. They made it sound like Dad wouldn't last until next week. I'd like to wait for the electrician, and husband's birthday etc before I go.

So our trip/drive to Florida is on hold/cancelled, have to cancel the reservations we made, until we see what happens, because Dad is getting buried in Boston and then you have to sit shiva/mourn for a week, and then we'll have to drive down to Florida and sort everything out down there. I hate being a grownup and responsible adult sometimes.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 01-09-2018, 05:29 PM
Master Fan

Oh ML too many hard things I hope they are wrong about dad but they see it so often I think you should take it seriously. I take it he is not well enough to talk on the phone? I hope Mlette goes with you. Let us know when you are going. I'll be praying for dad's health and your travel

keepsmiling what a sad service you went to his poor mother. Very hard. Good of you to go.

These days pregnant ppl get lots of tests. No there are no issues they just decided to pay an extra 150 and get the whole series of tests. Way different then what we had.....a big surprise at the end of 9 months...boy or girl and hopefully healthy. God willing all continues to go smoothly. Has it warmed up in Texas now?