Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Summer TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2018, 02:48 PM
Master Fan

A 4th of July baby, how fun! The shower sounds terrific. And that's wonderful you found not one but two possible outfits - Glad your prayers were answered. Tough keeping up with fashionable inlaws!

My niece who is Mlette's age is having her second baby in July too - exciting! They have a little boy already. And niece's brother, my nephew in Long island, has two little boys now - so so cute.

Was looking at a retirement place in the area, one of those 'continuity of care' places - sounded very nice, with restaurants and a pool and actvities/trips, and they take care of everything as far as maintenance and snow etc (and if you get older and sicker, they take care of you/different levels of care or independent living). It's pricey but it includes a lot of stuff you would be paying for separate in another type place. Plus you 'buy in' to the place, and then sort of pay monthly rent, but when you pass, your family gets 90% of your buy-in money back, which seems very nice too.

Nothing wrong with being a bean counter and wanting everything to come out right. LOL, when I got my temporary subway card, it had an extra nickel on it, and that nickel was driving me crazy until the woman explained it (when I went back the second time to try again, when the pass never came) - they issue the temporary ticket with 5 cents on it. Why? Nobody knows..

I didn't realize DWTS is only FOUR SHOWS! Hardly a 'season'. It is going on a warp speed, that's for sure, they are eliminating two people each show! It's kind of crazy.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
MyrnaLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:48 PM
Obsessed Fan

ML.........you will have an interesting time looking for a retirement community. I know for my mother way back then, it was important to her to make only one move. She knew if she had physical problems later, she didn't want to transfer to another facility.
At hubby and my age, we have lots of friends moving into to various facilities. One friend had to go into assisted living with her Parkinson's. Another has just moved into a regular retirement with two bedrooms and a full kitchen. I personally would love the idea of not have to prepare three meals a day. Patsy just takes part in all of the extra curricular activities, and her place has lots of them.
keepsmiling7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:57 PM
Master Fan

I truly and sincerely look up to "bean counters " keepsmiling" since I still count on my fingers I admit this to you my friends but I feel badly about that to some degree but it is what it is....I can draw anything so I hope my art brain takes up my math/directions brain. Plus I am hindered by being married to a geniuos...literally..in the math /direction department...I'm some what dependent..kinda.... but I drive alone too....but I am as one would imagine....aseemingly... more gifted in the ppl skills department..so one hopes some how it all blends well with the grands

My girls got math brains and beauty...thankful for that mix of genes

So I have some experience with the whole "move to a place" idea....I will give any knowledge I have when time permits> this I will say after many tours of "homes" both way expensive and not as much.....the more expensive the better...but not all the time!!

Don't make any hasty moves...... we all need to be involved
Old 05-11-2018, 05:51 AM
Obsessed Fan

Hello to all, know you all are busy.
We're off to #7 of 12 grandkids college graduations. More than half-way there, but wonder if we'll make the younger one's graduations?
After this graduation we will drive directly to Houston, MD Anderson where Jay will be having a very tricky surgery to remove blood clots from his liver. My job Monday morning will be to get the three year old "great" off to school. Wish me luck!

Have a great weekend.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:46 PM
Master Fan

Blood clots in the liver sound very tricky! Good luck keepsmiling and prayers for Jay! You have plenty of graduations to keep you busy!

I don't feel old enough to move to one of those villages yet, but on the other hand, I am feeling very old this week! I like the idea of settling in a place and staying there, too, and having it set up for 'aging in place' too.

Very smart to marry a very smart guy, to have all those smart children genes! My kids both avoided my math phobias - although neither one of them has my sense of direction/memory for maps etc.

Mother's Day was nice - I didn't think we were doing anything, because Mlette is so vague about making plans/such a clam. She called Saturday and we went out to eat and to this cool Steampunk Festival - COLD is more like it, as it was rainy and 40s-50s out. We didn't stay long because Mlette's lips were blue from the cold! (I'm the one intrigued with the Steampunk thing - trying to figure it out; some of the costumes are wonderful) I think they just like to dress up in odd costumes and play make believe. Star Trek fans dress up in sci fi stuff but they sort of also embrace the philosophy of Star Trek. I don't know. But the get-ups they had on were very interesting!

Mlette came back today and I opened a few cards and presents. She got me a purse I saw, didn't buy, and then regretted not buying - it's white canvas with pink and purple octopuses all over it and the inside is purple with white polkadots and has lots of good pockets. What can I say - it's 'me'! We ate our leftovers from eating out the day before and went to the library book sale. We took a little walk during the Celtics basketball game, which turned into a long walk for Mr ML and daughter - I turned back for home and watched the end of the game and they walked for hours more - they saw birds and frogs and turtles and some mysterious mammal (muskrat?) but I knew that was too far to walk for me. John sent over these wonderful muffins that are almost like cupcakes as they have a layer of frosting inside - decadent! I thought I'd have no Mother's Day and ended up having a nice one. Had a long talk with my son yesterday and talked to him today too. Wish he wasn't so far away (wish he was happy).
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 05-15-2018, 07:34 PM
Master Fan

keepsmilng Jay's operation is over I assume. I hope all went well!! I know you enjoyed the graduation. How did taking the grand to school go? I love picking up the kids from school...especially tOMMY....HE ALWAYS RUNS YELLING GRANDMOM AND JUMPS (sorry caps) up on me and gives me a big hug that will end very soon...like this year. He goes to first grade next year to public school.

ML I'm glad your mothers day turned out to be lovely....God bless Mlette and John and his muffins too I wish you could do long walks still getting older is not easy. No you are far from ready for a retirement home!

So ladies today is the anniversary of my dear sisters suicide. It is hard but good that I was babysittin while Liz and Walter went to a wedding this weekend. Podad and I did the kids. So we were very busy. They flew home in the afternoon on Sunday and Walter had a lovely video for Liz which we all enjoyed and I got sweet cards made and wraped but the kids and presents from Liz for the new beach house. Very sweet. Now very busy with the baby shower for Emily Sunday plus Emily and I go to one for her friend Saturday.

so I have been frantically dealing with that. My BIL went from his sons place in DC to Liz Monday and today and coming here tomorrow till Friday. He will help with prep and of course it is VERY hard to be with him without Linda.

If you go to my face book pg Emily posted a pic of me at 21 at the edge of the grand canyon and her pregnant last week at the edge of the canyon with a sweet note.

I am dealing with the last phases of the new beach house too...a lot...so why I am MIA....I look forward to some LaLa time soon

Last edited by podmom; 05-15-2018 at 07:40 PM
podmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:34 AM
Obsessed Fan

PODMOM...........thinking of you as the anniversary of Linda's death is here. But you do have those baby showers to keep you very busy with no time to think!

ML........your mother's day was very nice. Thought of you this past few days when I was in Cypress.

Jay's procedure went well, didn't get all of the blood clots, but did dissolve more than they expected. He is very anxious to go home, but is very week. Taking care of the "great" was fun, but she is a pistol. Hubby tells me, well her mother is stubborn, her grandmother (my daughter) is stubborn and then there is me. Piper didn't have a chance after that long line of strong women.

Hope to do some yard work today and tomorrow before we take off to the next graduation.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:18 PM
Master Fan

Sorry it is the sad anniversary PodMom glad you had the distraction of baby sitting, shower preparation - you have a LOT of distractions. But I know it's very hard.

So sweet, Tommy's enthusiasm for his grandma. Yep, before he goes to school and has to play it cool and sophisticated.

Keepsmiling glad the clot operation did more than expected; sorry Jay is so weak. LOL, yes, a long line of strong stubborn women.

My son in Cypress was sad he wasn't here for Mother's day - every card from him says "I wish I could be there." I wish he could be closer too.

Wow, the weather is just crazy. It was 80 degrees yesterday, hot. I took off the winter clothes and put on sandals. Then we had a huge thunderstorm later in the day, torrential rain, winds. Big storm. Then today - 50 degrees! It's FREEZING. I dressed for winter again, but not warmly enough. We went to this Audubon place to look at birds - they have feeders set up and you can just sit on the bench and all the birds (including hummingbirds) fly up to have a snack. But I was frozen.

It looks like the sale of the condo is progressing. The Title people sent me all the papers I'd signed in March again, and I called and said "Do I have to fill these all out again" and the nice lady said no, she'd kept the first set, because she was so confident our ace realtor would find another buyer soon (and he did!) But she's sending MORE papers I have to sign. But it looks very promising that this time, it will actually happen. Fingers crossed!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 05-17-2018, 06:33 AM
Master Fan

keepsmiling It must be so so hard for JAy to be weak...a man in his prime. So we pray

Enjoy the yard work

ML Thanks for the hugs....very sad and hard but life just keeps charging on. I so wish your son was closer too

Past the cleaning phase and onto the decorating phase...more fun. Liz and family coming Saturday morning....Liz bringing lots she has been doing. Theme is Ready to POP....lots of cute ideas with that plus we have the side theme of beach and July 4th ( the inspiration for POP...I'll give more detail after.... quite a production

Did either of you see that face book mothers day post I told you about by Emily? It meant a lot to me
Old 05-17-2018, 01:58 PM
Obsessed Fan

PODMOM.........sorry I missed your Mother's Day posting. I did see Grace and the rainbow. My daughter, step daughter, daughter in law are on Facebook all of the time and usually pointing out something I need to know. Guess I'm really old, old fashion and am not a slave to it.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:16 PM
Master Fan

Yes, I saw Grace and the rainbow too - that was so beautiful! But I don't think I saw the other Mother's Day post either.

Mlette went for a hike with Mr ML birdwatching this morning - all they saw were mosquitoes and lots of them - brought out by the torrential rains we had the other day, I suppose. Didn't see any birds. They came back and we went out to lunch and walked along the water by Assembly Row and saw red wing black birds and baby rabbits. Nice! And Trader Joe has a new store over there, so we picked up some groceries too.

She is coming back tomorrow because it's Poker Night and a new Netflix movie showed up ('Only the Brave' manly firefighter movie) and we're going to watch it while the guys play poker. Nice!

Ooo, I signed Mr ML and myself up today for a cruise near the end of August - You take a chartered bus up to Montreal, stay in a hotel (all included), get up and get on the ship, and sail back to Boston, stopping a various places in Canada and Maine! What fun (I hope)!

We can ride the subway to the bus, and ride the subway home after the cruise - seemed pretty easy, as travel goes, compared to flying someplace.

Got a giant packet of papers to sign (in front of a notary) about selling the condo, so I think it's actually going to happen this time - I HOPE! I already had another giant package of papers I have to fill out about something else.

I've always been good at paperwork but my get up and go seems to have got up and went, as far as doing all this stuff, I don't know why exactly. Maybe the urgent fight or flight stuff with Dad has subsided? I don't know.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 05-17-2018, 07:18 PM
Obsessed Fan

ML........fingers crossed for the sale of the condo!
Old 05-20-2018, 04:16 PM
Master Fan

Thanks, I think the sale is going through this time (IF I ever sign and get notarized and copy and ship all the papers ) But it's true, 'it ain't over, until it's over' they could always pull out/things fall through. Or I coud develop a huge mental block and not get the paperwork completed (which is starting to worry me)...

Fire fighter movie with Josh Brolin etc was sort of slow and earnest; a true story. I didn't realize they all get killed but one person (neither did Mlette) - Sad. Passed the time during poker night.

Mlette is returning tomorrow night for finale of Dancing with the Stars with the athletes.

We went down to visit my brother-in-law today (even though he was just here Friday night playing poker), because Hubby wanted to bird watch around there (he didn't see anything). We brought Barbara across the street, and he invited his sister who lives near the brother to come and meet with us too, and we'd all go out to lunch. BUT he didn't tell us brother's wife was on a trip out of town. It felt weird, visiting him with her not being home, but it was fine, we all went out to a fantastic lunch and had a nice get together. His brother just retired recently and is working on family geneaology and photo stuff (like Mr ML, he has a lot of energy and needs projects). They have an amazingly lovely and perfect home (sister-in-law is sort of a Martha Stewart disciple) - it's a bit depressing, it's so lovely and perfect.

I wonder if your post of photo of Em is limited to certain family or friends as I looked for it and didn't see it.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 05-21-2018, 10:07 AM
Obsessed Fan

PODMOM.........saw the shower picture with your two daughters. You have a lovely family. The decorations were great, what I could see that is.

ML........any final news on the condo?

We've just returned home from the second college graduation. Next weekend is the ballet recital.........with a very unhappy "great". She can mark this off her list as a career choice. Piper would rather play with the two boys that live across the street from her.
Good to be home, have to take hubby to a doctor's appointment this afternoon, then I plan on a little nap!
Old 05-21-2018, 05:43 PM
Master Fan

Hi girls. I’m glad you saw the picture of the girls keepsmilingRight below that is the picture that Emily posted for Mother’s Day of me and her next to each other at the Grand Canyon. You just scroll down one picture. I hardly post anything so there’s not that much on there. So I guess it’s right below grace and the rainbow. There are tons more decorations. I just don’t wanna bore the world with pictures of them on Facebook. I’m so happy for you and MLthat you sold the condo fingers crossed. Great news!

We are dealing with condo docs too. Might be going down tomorrow to Ocean City to do one more change on a light fixture ( we need to make a paper in the size of the dining room table we want so that we know where to put the light fixture on the ceiling which needs to be moved )and perhaps meet with the retractable awning man and check in. We have movers for May 26..... working on getting the insurance in place first.

ML....... awesome about your trip!

I’m pooped so just checking in with you girls ❤️