Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2018, 06:16 PM
Total Fan

PODMOM........thanks for checking in. I was beginning to worry you were MIA for so long. Are you feeling better now?
Old 04-11-2018, 06:27 PM
Elite Fan

HI keepsmiling thanks for worrying I'm a little better but this has been a bad one still had a fever today but finally not as high so hopefully I am getting better.

I almost forgot to wish ML a ...................

I hope you had a nice day!!

Kind of a scary one I have all this mail piling up about medicare I guess I need to get started on that

Last edited by podmom; 04-11-2018 at 08:42 PM
Old 04-13-2018, 05:12 AM
Total Fan

PODMOM.........hope you are feeling better.

ML.......where are you, we miss you!

Hi NATALIE AND WEN......
Old 04-13-2018, 12:02 PM
Master Fan

keepsmiling I'm sorry Jay isn't doing well; I didn't realize he was a geologist, what an interesting job (I love rocks). I hope he rallies and can work some more. Such a difficult illness and I'm sorry you all are going through this with him.

Podmom oh, no, you got the flu! Hope the kids avoided it. Thanks for the birthday wishes! It was sort of a whirlwind birthday week, with it also being Passover.

The second buyer of the condo flew down to look at it and decided he didn't want it either. No sale. Now all the snowbirds have flown home, the 'season' is over, and I don't think it will sell over the summer, but we'll see (IF summer ever comes!

It's still so cold up here - well today it's 60s but in a few days, it will be 30s again!) There are no leaves on the trees yet, the spring flowers are just coming up. Spring is so late in coming. There's a place in ?Maine called "Cold Spring Harbor" - that's what we're having, a Cold Spring.

Also accepting that Dad's financial stuff is not going to be sorted out quickly at all. We finally got the big check we were waiting for and financial lady said Don't deposit that check! She wants them to put the $ in an inherited IRA instead, to avoid taxes. I do NOT want to give them back the big check. SIGH. Waiting for her to look into stuff and get back to me. (And of course, all the looking into she is doing will be billable hours - plus she wants to consult the FL lawyer, who sent us a giant bill for doing next to nothing and I was really and now there will be more bills from him too).

Plus I wrote to the condo management people and I said do NOT take any more automatic payments for Dad's condo (because at the time, we thought it was sold) and then when the deal fell through, I sent them a check for the April payment - and they took out an automatic payment too! So another double payment! I was soooo furious when I found that out.. Still have to sort that out but I was so mad, I'm still not sure I can call and talk to them without yelling yet.

All this stress has put my BP up, plus I've had a really fast pulse for awhile, so MD gave me a new pill, which helped the fast pulse, and made me feel terrific - but made my BP go UP instead of down! So when I told her/saw her today, did she take me off the new pill? No, of course not, she added a third pill instead.

Most states have an agency that helps seniors figure out the Medicare stuff. My doctor group has a person who helps with that too. We have all our stuff in place, although I'm not sure I got the right Part D drug plan, because so far, the meds aren't that cheap/cost more than I was paying before, anyway. Oh well.. Will figure it out.

And we just got a new dryer to replace the one that stopped drying - they took the old one away, installed the new one, we did laundry, put them in the new dryer - it doesn't run. At all. Doesn't turn out. Mr ML investigated and turns out the fuse was fried. Which means the old dryer was probably fine too (it turned, but didn't heat up), and we bought a new dryer we didn't even need.

And a big piece of flashing blew off our roof and somebody is coming to fix the roof on Monday.. It truly is ALWAYS SOMETHING!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 04-13-2018, 02:18 PM
Total Fan

ML........you really are dealing with lots of different situations. It's bad enough to have dryer problems, but add to that a roof that needs repair.
It's a full time job dealing with all of the retirement/Medicare issues. All I can say is that you finally get it all sorted out, it works very well.
Good luck with your BP, I remember how hard it was for hubby to get it regulated. Seems like it was all trial and error.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:15 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks keepsmiling I'm getting better but it is slow going

ML I am feeling for you with so many pain in the neck and some infuriating issues to deal with even though Walter is a lawywr....at least he's corporate so not ripping off the little guys. Although one of his big clients at the moment is Google and I don't like them there is a reason we dislike lawyers...besides that they become politicians

Anyway sorry about those bills and I am wondering about putting your inheritance money in an IRA....does that mean you can't access it for years or something? I hope not.

I hope somehow that condo gets sold but if it isn't can you rent it?

We just had to get our roof replaced last year. Had an Amish guy do it. He was good and cheaper than others but took a little longer and not easy to get a hold of

Hang in there

here is something to perk you up

Old 04-17-2018, 02:21 PM
Elite Fan

where are all the JOFs ?

I saw you for a bit up there keepsmiling

bumping us up since we might get too winded looking up the JOF thread
Old 04-17-2018, 03:18 PM
Total Fan

PODMOM........yes I have dropped by several times, but didn't stay long. I've been working out in the yard, my favorite thing to do in the spring. My only problem, the old knees don't enjoy it as much.
Hubby's youngest daughter will be here with us for several days. She is an inspirational publicist, and will be meeting with one of her authors in Austin.
Then we expect a visit from the young man that helped hubby his first year after having the two spinal surgeries. We couldn't have made it without Matt, he was a true blessing to our family. We love it when he can come visit, as he is very busy getting his Masters/PhD in physical therapy.
Hope you are completely well now PODMOM, and I hope ML has sorted out some of her many problems.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:55 PM
Master Fan

Well as usual G-d is good and we had some torrential rains (roofer comes Monday) and not a leak or a drip! PHEW! So whatever that piece did that blew off the roof, it seems we can do without it until Monday.

New pills seem to be doing the trick and BP is even lower than my fit husband's at the moment! Getting things check tomorrow again (blood test/BP check). Doctor had me do a Holter 24-hour monitor to check my heart too - not that bad (even managed to sleep with it on) except I'm sensitive to tape and they not only put on those super sticky pads but lots of tape over them so they'd stay on for 24 hours So now I have several red spots from that; hoping they go away. I don't think it will show anything exciting, had a pretty quiet day.

And I ended up NOT having to go to jury duty - PHEW - you call the day before and check a recorded line. Poor MLette has it next month and her 'group number' is a really low one (like mine was 100 and hers is 2) so I told her she'd better be ready to have jury duty!

Oh miracle, I heard from Mrs Boss that a check is on the way to pay me for my work for her - she never paid me a dime for my work in Dec/Jan/Feb/March! So I quit. Well, I'd never planned to work for her forever after retiring, I only agreed to finish out the yearly report stuff (although that's not what she imagined I agreed to..)

It was Barbara's birthday yesterday - 70 - and we had a birthday party for her. I think she was pleased. Got such a nice little cake, just a single layer, just enough for 5 people with a few slices left over. I didn't want to be stuck with a giant cake nobody was going to eat; I even considered just fancy cupcakes (I'd asked her what she wanted but she didn't have an opinion about it). Mlette came and brought her BF John. It was a nice little party.

It's the Queen's birthday Friday - 92! She is such an amazing lady.

keepsmiling you hve such an interesting family! A publicist dealing with authors. Very cool job.

And sorry PodMom I forgot Walter is a lawyer - no offense! I was just annoyed at the giant bill and now I'll have to pay him more because financial lady wanted to call and ask him some questions... I will owe her a giant bill too, I'm sure, but it will be worth it to get Dad's stuff sorted. It's just too bad the buyer of the condo got cold feet and backed out - I was so thrilled it sold in a WEEK and now.. who knows? The lady upstairs from my Dad's condo has been trying to sell it for TWO or THREE YEARS!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 04-19-2018, 05:55 PM
Master Fan

Well as usual G-d is good and we had some torrential rains (roofer comes Monday) and not a leak or a drip! PHEW! So whatever that piece did that blew off the roof, it seems we can do without it until Monday. Those Amish fellows are very handy - none of them around these parts!

New pills seem to be doing the trick and BP is even lower than my fit husband's at the moment! Getting things check tomorrow again (blood test/BP check). Doctor had me do a Holter 24-hour monitor to check my heart too - not that bad (even managed to sleep with it on) except I'm sensitive to tape and they not only put on those super sticky pads but lots of tape over them so they'd stay on for 24 hours So now I have several red spots from that; hoping they go away. I don't think it will show anything exciting, had a pretty quiet day.

And I ended up NOT having to go to jury duty - PHEW - you call the day before and check a recorded line. Poor MLette has it next month and her 'group number' is a really low one (like mine was 100 and hers is 2) so I told her she'd better be ready to have jury duty!

Oh miracle, I heard from Mrs Boss that a check is on the way to pay me for my work for her - she never paid me a dime for my work in Dec/Jan/Feb/March! So I quit. Well, I'd never planned to work for her forever after retiring, I only agreed to finish out the yearly report stuff (although that's not what she imagined I agreed to..)

It was Barbara's birthday yesterday - 70 - and we had a birthday party for her. I think she was pleased. Got such a nice little cake, just a single layer, just enough for 5 people with a few slices left over. I didn't want to be stuck with a giant cake nobody was going to eat; I even considered just fancy cupcakes (I'd asked her what she wanted but she didn't have an opinion about it). Mlette came and brought her BF John. It was a nice little party.

It's the Queen's birthday Friday - 92! She is such an amazing lady.

keepsmiling you have such an interesting family! A publicist dealing with authors. Very cool job. Glad you are having visitors!

And sorry PodMom I forgot Walter is a lawyer - no offense! I was just annoyed at the giant bill and now I'll have to pay him more because financial lady wanted to call and ask him some questions... I will owe her a giant bill too, I'm sure, but it will be worth it to get Dad's stuff sorted. It's just too bad the buyer of the condo got cold feet and backed out - I was so thrilled it sold in a WEEK and now.. who knows? The lady upstairs from my Dad's condo has been trying to sell it for TWO or THREE YEARS! Of course she started out asking way too much, and it's on the 2nd floor, which older people don't want, climbing those stairs..

I hope your knees feel better after the gardening Keepsmiling! I wish it would warm up here so we can start gardening. It's still so cold. I think it snowed a little this morning and then turned to rain. Winter just doesn't want to leave this year... We had one nice day, when it was like 60, and I unwrapped the rose bush, and raked up the yard and thought warmer days were coming but nope, then it went back to lousy weather again.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan

Last edited by MyrnaLynne; 04-19-2018 at 06:01 PM
Old 04-20-2018, 06:09 AM
Total Fan

ML........good report on your blood pressure. You have been dealing with so much, no wonder there was a problem. Estates seem to take forever to settle. About the time you think you have things under control.......up pops another problem.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:54 PM
Master Fan

I was off a day, Queen's birthday is tomorrow, the 21st. Mr ML had his monthly poker night and Mlette came over and we watched 'Darkest Hour' the Churchill movie from Netflix. She thought it was slow and boring, but I enjoyed it; I thought it was very well done. Plus I'd read those 'Churchill's Secretary' books about the woman who typed for him (and went on to be a secret agent for Britain etc - fictional but based on history) so it was sort of familiar territory. Gary Oldman deserves the awards he won for the good job he did playing that part. England came so close to handing itself over to Hitler if not for Churchill saying NO WAY. And of course the US got into the war in time to help save their bacon and turn the tide of the war too. It really was touch and go with that evil maniac Hitler and his war machine.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 04-21-2018, 03:28 PM
Elite Fan

keepsmiling you do have a really interesting family. You are so fortunate to have them visiting you so much. I'm sure that is a result of you and your husbands personalities and warmth. Enjoy your gardening.

I went with my friend Nina to some Amish nurseries that I hadn't known about. Beautiful day and I got poppies for the first time and some other plants I'd never seen before and are really pretty and one even smells amazing ( just for 2 pots) and Vinca which is the best flower. Do you guys know Vinca? Looks like impatiens but tough and can hack sun and heat and getting dry.

ML I almost had to do that heart monitor thing a couple years ago....remember Liz made me go to a cardiologist and then called the nurse back in to rehook me up when the palpatations (sp) started after she took off the EKG thing. Whew. Just stress...I'm sure that is what is going on with you too. I started with the BP meds after several years of stressful Viv care.

I hope you sell the condo soon. Goodness that took Ms Boss forever to pay you but that must be a nice windfall now at least.

I'm gonna have Podad and I watch that movie tonight. Thanks for letting me know it was on Netflix
Old 04-22-2018, 01:34 PM
Master Fan

Hubby watched it last night and liked it too. Good movie.

Oh gosh vinca - I guess my neighbor must have planted vinca because now my entire side yard is nothing but vinca. It's shiny and has a little flower and it's green but it's totally replaced any grass that used to be there. Which is fine with Mr ML because he is lazy and doesn't have to mow the vinca.

I just saw plants called hellbore or hellborus - bad name, but seem like nice flower.

I just dug up my rhubarb from the yard near crazy gal's house that is being renovated, because I figure if they work on the fence between the yards, they will trample the rhubarb (like other guys trampled and totally killed my rose bush years back).

Poor rhubarb comes up every spring but didn't get enough sun there to do much of anything (never any rhubarb for pie). Moved it to the other side, where there is more sun, now that the magnolia tree is gone (we live on the shadier side of the street anyway). I just hope I got the whole root/dug it up well enough and didn't kill the poor thing. Originally, almost 40 years ago, I had planted it in the back yard, but it got too shady there when the neighbors put in all sorts of bushes and trees that got tall, so I moved it to the front. A well travelled rhubarb!

Oh gosh I was sick last night out of the blue - I think Mr ML didn't cook the chicken well enough and I had food poisoning. That's all I can figure. One minute I was watching HGTV, next several hours I was throwing up (and throwing down) until nearly midnight. Sick as a dog. And then.. done. A mystery. But my money is on the undercooked chicken.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 04-22-2018, 02:13 PM
Total Fan

ML........so sorry about poisoning.......when hubby could still grill outside, I was always afraid that the chicken didn't get cooked enough. I would rather have it burned than get food poisoning!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread