Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2017, 06:53 AM
Master Fan

Yay Wen good to see you!

Wow, I was SO mad yesterday - the hospital sent around an email about a free tai chi class from 3:30-4:30. Sounded great to me, I've wanted to try that, so I clocked out an hour early, went over there, and found out it was a free tai chi class only for patients with mobility disorders, no employees/healthy people allowed! The girl said "oh, sorry, there was a problem with that email announcement." So I threw away an hour of earned time for nothing, and then there was nothing to do but go home an hour early, as it seemed silly to go back after I'd signed out. Boy was I mad.

It all worked out though, since I was home early, I had time (and energy) to start swapping my winter clothes for summer clothes, which is a big project. I packed away the turtleneck shirts and brought out the summer shirts, put away a lot of heavy warm pants and brought out summer slacks and shorts, put away my snow boots (lol) and heavy shoes, brought out some sandals. Put away the flannel/warm pajamas and brought out the summer ones, etc etc!

I still need to wash a lot of sweaters, scarves, winter hats and mittens, before packing them away for the summer.

And then of course I wore a short sleeved shirt to bed and my arms were freezing all night - too soon! It's supposed to get blistering hot here this weekend and next week, after being very damp and chilly for weeks on end. I wanted to be ready (and didn't want to be putting hot heavy stuff away when it was broiling hot).

Oh and person taking over most of my job turned off all the email notifications about stuff with the Journal (except for acceptance of papers for me to edit) but the Editor asked her to turn them all back on again! I don't know why, but it was so nice to come in on a Monday and not have 100+ emails about things that transpired over the weekend (since everybody involved is a doctor or a researcher etc, they work on this stuff weekends/free time, so Monday is always a bad surprise and a 3-day holiday weekend is a nightmare)
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 06-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Elite Fan

Thank you ML and Wen for your sympathy and concern and wise words. This is going to be a long process. I will never "get over" it but I will learn to live with it and trust God to not only support and guide me but teach me things about grief so perhaps I can be prepared to support others He brings across my path. In the mean time I am just trying to recover some semblance of normal. Coming here will be a part of that process.

ML I remember moms dr telling her the walker was her friend...of course she wasn't using it....walked past it...when she fell. Your father is very smart to heed this warning and you are so fortunate he is who he is. I hope he lasts many more years so you can spend real time with him. I know you are concerned about money but I think it will be so freeing for you to be free of all the baloney that comes with the job.

The beach house rebuilding is keeping me busy but stressed building a house with another couple and having to agree on stuff can be tough....hopefully we get these drawings approved and get to the permits phase. Come September when ,God willing ,the old house it torn down I will then totally believe this will happen because it will have to.

Emily is at another wedding. In Pittsburg this time. After this girl only 2 left to get married. Emily will be glad of that! Now baby showers are happening so that will start one baby so far from her HS and College friends crew.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:17 AM
Master Fan

Hugs Poddy! I can't imagine the stress of having to rebuild a house with another couple! Stressful enough just doing it yourself (from all the reno shows I've watched on HGTV). How exciting to have a new improved (and I assume, more storm-proof) Haven to look forward to!

Yes, this was a real wakeup call for Dad, who wasn't carrying his medical alert thing in the house (where you are most likely to fall, and least likely for anybody to find you/help you get up in time) and using a cane, but very reluctantly. I guess that WW2 'greatest generation' hates to show any sign of weakness, likes to soldier on. Or maybe that's just him (or just men in general!)

But now he's wondering if this is the point when he can't live on his own anymore and will need to go to assisted living/retirement home of some sort. But his doctor is sending in-home PT person to help build up his strength/work on his balance, and sent nurses out to check on him and such. But he's around the same age as when our also very independent neighbor/relative Margaret moved to assisted living (only with her, it was after she had a stroke). I think she was very happy there, once she moved in, until she passed away. sigh. But she also had a very loving extended family (no kids, but lots of devoted nieces and nephews). Dad is all alone down there in FL, although his neighbors love him and have been great to him, insisting on helping him out with stuff recently, but again, he's proud and doesn't want to impose on anybody.

Emily has such a nice group of friends, and lots of weddings to go to! For some reason, Mlette's group is very slow to wed. Only a few of her friends have kids or are married. Her apartment mate has a fellow who is very slow to get engaged to her, but wants to buy a house together first! Everyone is getting exasperated with him. Plus she doesn't want a big wedding, but HIS family does (but of course, her family should pay for it). Her brother told her to break up with this guy and find somebody else! lol.

But the nephews are starting to get married, two celebrating this summer, so that's exciting. And the nephew getting married in September has an older brother who has just taken up with a new girlfriend (and they got a dog together) so maybe he'll be next? Who knows. Circle of life!

Wen has been having more health issues, with bad pain in her hip and now restless legs keeping her awake (when she only slept a few hours to begin with). Trying to sort that out - always something!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 06-11-2017, 02:45 PM
Total Fan

So good to hear from WEN.......
Just returned from a school reunion, there were lots of really old people there! It was great, hubby didn't try to make it so it was very easy for me to hop on a plane and go.

Don't envy that building project PODMOM. Let us know how it is going.

ML.......my hubby falls frequently, really has bad mobility problems. When he falls I call the fire department, "lift assistance" and the come get him up. They provide such a wonderful service to us older folks.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:36 PM
Master Fan

Glad you had a good time at the reunion keepsmiling! Funny, a Roswell friend in NM went to her 40th HS reunion and she said how old the men looked. I noticed that at my college reunion - the husbands people brought looked a lot older, while the gals looked pretty much the same.

My Dad got one of those emergency buttons, but he's been too stubborn to wear/carry it in the house! My friend in FL had a friend with old polio who was in a wheelchair and she fell out of it sometimes and she'd call the firemen to pick her up and put her back in her wheelchair (she lived by herself) and she also said there were very nice! They like to help (and beats running into a burning building too).

I was worrying Friday about running out of work, but now that it's Monday again - lots more work, I didn't need to worry.

We're having a little heatwave here, after all the cold and rain. Ninety yesterday, today, tomorrow - YUK! I know I wanted it warmer than 50 in June, but it didn't request 90!

It can't be hot enough for Mr ML - I stayed inside by the AC yesterday, and he took a long bike ride, then played basketball, then went in town to the grocery store where he used to work and brought home food (on the subway), and then took a walk! That man is exhausting! I think it was a mistake for him to quit working - he was too much energy!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 06-13-2017, 05:58 AM
Total Fan

Mr. ML seems to have lots of energy......maybe he should direct his efforts to some volunteer work. I would like to have the time to do that.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Master Fan

Volunteer work is a good suggestion keepsmiling but I don't know if he's altruistic enough - or is paradoxically too lazy! He works very hard at whatever (recreation) interests him, but if he's not interested, wild horses couldn't make him to whatever it is!

Ahh, our short heatwave got over and it's nice and cool and June-like here again. Since it was Flag Day yesterday, I hung up my flag buntings around my top porch, ahead of 4th of July! It looks so festive and pretty.

Physical therapy guy is coming to the house and Dad is trying to get into better shape, for as old as he is. I think it's going pretty well.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 06-17-2017, 07:36 AM
Total Fan

ML........glad your dad is receiving PT.....that is saving my hubby's life right now. Keeps him moving. Wish I had half of MrML's energy. Can you bottle and sell it?

PODMOM......how is the building project progressing? With this project going on, does this mean you don't get to enjoy the beach this summer?

WEN......we need a progress report from you. Sorry you didn't get to take those classes. I love my exercise classes and yoga. Right now I'm taking a class on balance that Humana Insurance is putting on. Had hoped I'd learn something to help my hubby, but so far he isn't able to stand and do the special things.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:09 AM
Elite Fan

sorry still being pretty MIA...still just not up to snuff for sure but I will start getting on here more soon I hope.

The house will be torn down in September God willing keepsmiling and it should be ready for next season. It is pretty stressful at this point. Working with the architect and the other couple but we are finishing up the electrical choices and other than the outside color and material ( which we already agree on) now we can just work on our own.

I'm off to Lizs to watch the kids while they go to the U2 concert in Philly..podad coming and she is having a babysitter for part of the time. She is being very careful for me.

posting blind. Hope to bb tomorrow evening when I get back home.

xxoo
Old 06-19-2017, 11:30 AM
Master Fan

Hugs PodMom how cool the kids are going to see U2! You are always the one taking care, it's good they are taking care of you a little bit in return.

My Dad wanted to impress the PT therapist, so he did way more repetitions than the guy asked for (20 or 30 instead of 10), and then he realized next day he'd worn himself out/overdid it! Men! His doctor sent a social worker to check on his situation too; I guess they decided he's still okay on his own for now.

We celebrated Mr ML and Father's Day yesterday. MLette was supposed to bring the BF John, because his Dad was out of town visiting his sister (with the grandbaby) but she showed up solo, said he'd thrown out his back. We were so disappointed! LOL, we love John. We went to an Audubon/nature center so Mr ML could see hummingbirds at a feeder they have there, to put on his 'list.' I could have watched them all day, but he just wants to see them and write them down and then he's done with them. Then we went out for lunch, only the restaurant had a sign on the door that the kitchen was having some problem (California Pizza Kitchen - had no pizza or sandwiches). We should have gone elsewhere but Mr ML is so stubborn. Got our usual stuff, but it wasn't as good (because the kitchen was having a problem). They didn't have MLette's pizza or veggie sandwich, so she had some sort of salad. And then we went out to Dairy Queen, so she could have a tasty dessert. Then we went home and he opened his cards and a few gifts from the kids. Son and DIL called from Texas.

Cool weather is done and it is HUMID! Gosh, I hate humidity most of all. And I realized this weekend, hubby and daughter run about 10-20 degrees off from me. When I'm roasting, they're comfortable. When I'm comfortable, they're freezing. I don't know how Mr ML and I will retire anywhere together, because no climate will suit both of us (or even the same setting on the A/C will please us both).
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 06-20-2017, 06:37 AM
Total Fan

Glad MrML had a nice father's day. Hubby's daughter came today, after father's day for quick visit. He always peps up when on of his girls come to see us.

PODMOM....I'm glad you will get to enjoy the beach house until September.

Hello WEN!
Old 06-21-2017, 12:02 PM
Master Fan

Glad your hubby was perked up with Father's Day visit from daughter Keepsmiling - I know when our daughter comes over, I perk up every time! And I'm looking forward to spending time with my Dad this winter (G-d willing) when I retire.

The doctor gave Wen some new medicine for her hip etc and it is knocking her for a loop - makes her konk out sleep (Wen usually never sleeps) and feel dizzy and can't see straight/double vision, so I guess that's why she hasn't been by posting for awhile.

They had the hospital Employee Summer Picnic today - my last picnic! The weather was perfect for it and it was a MOB SCENE! So many people I just got in line, got a hot dog and chips etc, and went back to my office. I didn't even bother trying the carnival games on the lawn or all that stuff - too crowded!

My friend in NM said it's 104 and it's been over 100 where Wen lives too. Is Texas so bad Keepsmiling (?hotter than normal, I mean). I hope that terrible heat doesn't come East next! The 90+ weather we had was Bad Enough! You don't want it to be August in the middle of June!

Happy First Day of Summer!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 06-21-2017, 01:54 PM
Elite Fan

So I was way pooped when I got back from Lizs the next day so no energy to post. Of all days for Liz's air conditioning to break it broke that day we were babysitting and you know I hate the heat! I was sweating so badly ( I always do anyway so I wasn't sure if it was me) so eventually I felt the register and I told podad I don't think the air is working. It wasn't. Good thing he came...they have a new fangled control from your phone thermostat and he had to figure out how to keep the fan on and the unit off so it didn't get totally ruined. (he went out and felt it and it was very hot to the touch....comes in handy sometimes being married to a chemical engineer...they can figure stuff out) HE went home around 10 later than he would have. I stayed the night. Amazingly the baby went to sleep for me ( she still nurses so that could have been rough) but she was really tired and she didn't wake up from the heat which I was really afraid of. I let the two older ones stay up really late for them so they would be pooped too. Liz and Walter had a good time at the concert even with the flurry of texts about the air. Coincided with a switch from the opening act...The Lumineers...who I like too....they said they were really good. Anyway....stayed the next day till 3ish.....went to their pool and watched Tommy and AL for awhile with a babysitter. Liz had a different babysitter come for part of the day before too. I actually needed the help. I just don't have energy these days I guess from the stress and shock and grief thing plus my thyroid levels aren't optimum. Found that out during the fake stroke hospital stay. One level is very low the other normal. My GP says he doesn't want to start me on the drug yet. My personal diagnosis ( other than age) is that the extreme emotional and physical stress I had with the final 3 years of VIv care knocked my thyroid and probably other stuff for a loop. I know it aged me more than 3 years worth.

ML Glad your dad is doing relatively well. I hope he stays good and would consider a walker. Push it. Emily is 31 so is at the age where pps get nervous if they aren't married. I think Mlette is a wee bit older than Emily but not sure. Emily only has two friends left that aren't married now. Twins. One has a BF finally...and the other doesn't. Neither have ever had a real BF and they are attractive. I hope the other twin finds a BF soon. I am getting itchy for John and Mlette to tie the knot. I want her to have a baby for you

Thanks for telling us about our dear Wen I hope she isn't taking the drug Neurontin. That one is a bad one. It is an anti seizure med that they give out instead of pain pills. It did the same to Linda....dizzy etc. she couldn't drive after she started with that. It helped some with the pain but that is the one that had the biggest side effect of romanticizing suicide. That they gave her tons of Is Wen in pain with her hip? I probably missed that post.

I came to OC by myself for a couple of days. I hadn't been down accept the quick trip to plant the flowers. Podad didn't come because the cat was acting really off. Probably bladder infection. He stayed and took cat to the vet.I'm glad though because I am just resting. I did cry for a while watching the sunset from he porch last night because it is crushing me Linda won't ever be here again and will miss the new house. She actually was excited about it. This is really going to be a rough who knows how long. I sent an email out to about 50 ppl at church explaining how Linda died. I haven't been to church yet. They knew my sister died suddenly because I had Katie out me on the prayer chain but only a handful knew how it happened. I wanted them to be able to pray more specifically for us all but also I didn't want to be telling the story over and over. I have gotten some lovely emails back which have been comforting. I am just in a really hyper anxious/ deeply sad place. It has been a month so God willing I improve over the summer so I don't have to think about antidepressants cause I really don't want to go that route...not because I think they aren't appropriate just don't want to add any more meds.

Well that is it from my world. Oh and yes keepsmiling hopefully no more flood issues because the new house will be up so much higher so that is a big plus!

PS I posted 2 new pix on FB. Of a new glass ball to the track garden. I thought that would be an easy way to break back into FB. I am not going to discuss Linda there. I told the church friends that too. I haven't told the cousins yet. Not sure how I will handle that. Linda didn't like some of then and I don't know if she would be ok with them knowing the details but it will be hard to lie or whatever. So I am just avoiding it for now plus I don't want any OC ppl to know either. Only actual friends and family. You guys are counting as real friends
Old 06-22-2017, 06:12 AM
Total Fan

ML.......thanks for the update on WEN. She has such a difficult time with her health, some of us don't realize how lucky we are to be 80 with no problems. My doctor said I picked the right parents........good genes that is. That's strange because I have already outlived both parents.

PODMOM......being a care giver for Viv all of that time made you ignore your own health. I know you are missing your sister and I'm sure you think I wished I could have helped her more.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:48 AM
Elite Fan

I agree keepsmilingwith your Dr you are fortunate in your gene pool but I think also your own personality which seems to be to be strong and interested and young at heart and just intelligent has led to wise living and a love of life which is very important to one's health. Regarding wishing I could have done more for Linda ( mostly frustrated so much that I was almost there) yes I have that a bit but I was so in touch with her and always offering to do anything for her that I don't think that very often. Others in her family have let her down significantly but at the same time judge not so I just miss her and so hate thinking of her being that desperate and alone in that moment. Of course the horror of the moment haunts me and I have to spend a lot of energy to push that visual out when it intrudes which is often...but getting less

I know ourWen has been so brave and dealt with many health issues I hate thinking of her being in pain and really pray her hip stops being an issue