Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2017, 01:56 PM
Elite Fan

I just sat down....after days of decorating finally done. Me too keepsmiling I have so many decorations and the best ones are from podads family some amazingly beautiful charming you name it ld old stuff. Christmas balls in solid cardboard boxes with Made In America on them. You know they are old . I'm guessing 20s-30s I did the deck Christmas lights this year since it seems the squirrels are giving us a break ( they kept eating through the chords) so giving it another shot. I hate LED lights so I have stocked up on the old fashioned kind. You can still get bulb and strands but you have to hunt or get them online which I did last year.

I have pictures keepsmiling of the way the kids did the decorations on the tree...down low and all lined up in a bunch Emily was my Christmas helper....she loved Christmas so much. I miss my little elf. I'm glad I get to see her this weekend since this is her year with Robbies family at least we get her next year for baby's first Christmas G-d willing. Speaking of babies my bible study group has been helping a young unwed mother that has drug abuse issues...she just had a baby and it did have to detox but mom is clean and coming to our party. She is the cousin of one of my girls cousins and has been reaching out and helping her. There will be 7 kids here everybody said yes so 12 women and 7 kids.....and 2 helpers girls 9 and 11. This should be busy I ordered little toys for the kids got small poinsettias for the women and the helper girls got Star Wars toys ( mom told me they loved SW. I have to be at Lizs Tuesday night and day to help Walter with the kids while Liz goes out....drive home that night have the ppl over at 9am then go to my bunco that night then back to Liz to babysit all weekend...while they are in DC I hope I don't get sick and a miracle happens and Grace sleeps all night. and I still have presents to buy and of course have wrapped nothing yet....we need to have a longer December
Old 12-09-2017, 01:52 PM
Total Fan

Good luck with your party PODMOM. You will have lots of different age groups, should be very interesting.
I know you are anxious for Emily this coming weekend. It's tough when you have to share your kids with other families, but that's the way it goes. And when you thrown in a divorce, it divides the families even more.
We know we will have a total of 17 from the 22 thru Christmas Eve. Some will return to their homes for Santa the next morning.
I'm just hoping to have enough food for that gang!

Last edited by keepsmiling7; 12-10-2017 at 07:01 PM
Old 12-11-2017, 09:14 AM
Elite Fan

Thank you keepsmiling I wish the same for your Christmas gathering! Wow that is a lot of ppl to feed!! You are amazing I wish we would have more family at Christmas. This year just Podad and I and Liz's family. Emily is with inlaws this year. She did arrive safely and we survived a bit of a slippery slow drive to the baby shower. She and 2 other friends drive to Pittsburg for another baby shower ( the one that stayed here this weekend) I'll be glad when that is over and hopefully she doesn't travel anymore accept to come here maybe.

Well I need to stop fooling around and get to work but wanted to play in LALA land before this week begins
Old 12-11-2017, 02:06 PM
Total Fan

The Fredericksburg trip over the weekend was such a wonderful outing (escape). Today I'm cooking like crazy getting things in the freezer to pull out when needed. Tonight is my Steven Ministry party from church. This year instead of exchanging white elephant gifts, we are bringing items for young girls and women. Mostly make-up and bath goods. I'm not sure what agency they will be going to, but I'm sure it's a good cause. Everyone usually likes to get toys for those in need, but our group picked young girls instead.

PODMOM.......I think we agreed everything piles up in December. Thursday night my exercise group is having a happy hour party at our instructors home. More food to get ready and another gift to exchange. Friday night our church has a living Nativity scene for all the neighborhood to take advantage of. We have a live camel, and other animals. My job will be to host the cookie and drink table for a shift. Hubby wants to go too to be a part of it, so I'll have to take his wheelchair. This is my killer week, and then next week I just get ready for the family coming in the 22nd, wrap the final presents and get the Christmas stockings ready.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:42 PM
Elite Fan

keepsmiling You have tons to do and it all sounds fun ( if work!) wow you guys even have a camel ! Impresive I wish you all the best as you prepare

I got a reprieve....Liz isn't going tomorrow to NYC so I have all day home here to get ready for the bible study party. Such a relief!! Now I can even have time to make a cake to take with me Thursday when I go to babysit for the weekend. Whew!!

How is retirement going ML? Don't disappear on us now that you aren't at work taking a break to pop on FF
Old 12-12-2017, 02:51 PM
Master Fan

Live Nativity with camels! How cool that is keepsmiling I know one church in my town has a procession with a donkey sometimes - that's as exotic as it gets up here. lol. And wow, you are having a crowd for Christmas!

What a blessing to help that young woman with the baby PodMom, I hope your group can help her. And what a nice party with the young Moms and kids. Hope it goes/went well.

Retirement is going well, almost 2 weeks! Mailed off the last holiday box yesterday, have the cards done/sent, have the gifts I needed to order, ordered. Just thinking about a few more goodies for us, maybe. I keep seeing more and more stuff for MLette, but have to stop sometime! I also ordered stuff to put away for birthdays, as I saw things for people while I was shopping that they might like (I hope). Mr ML and I walked to the post office every day this week!

Table all set for Hanukah, which starts tonight, with the tablecloth and the gifts and the candles. MLette came over earlier, but she went back to pick up John and bring him. The gifts I ordered for him didn't come yet But there are a couple of other things for him to open tonight. Have no idea what we're doing for dinner, but Mlette and I made Pioneer woman's easy (super easy) fudge before she left - chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk melted together, sprinkle on chopped up candy cane bits (bought them pre-mashed at Wegman's!), chill, and voila -fudge.

Oh, and Mrs Boss emailed me. Happy Hanukah, I have some typing for you to do - I can fax it to you. Really? To what fax machine at my house, I wonder?

We got about half a foot of snow, but then it went to 40, aand today it rained and washed a lot away - but tomorrow, into the 20s and cold/freezing again. Hope it dries up/doesn't all turn to ice. But I don't have to go to work in it, or walk a dog in it so - all good!

Just went to Fidelity to roll my work 403B (like 401K for hospitals) over to my IRA and we signed some papers to do that. Check, off the list! I can't believe in ~a month, we'll be heading to FL; now that the holidays are done (except for celebrating them), I need to get to work planning THAT!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 12-13-2017, 01:25 PM
Elite Fan

ML I hope last night went well and that the rest of the nights are lovely!

WE got some snow too but no rain. Most melted but boy the winds blew in hard last night. Yup very cold now! Brrrr

So the party got off to a bit of a shaky start....the woman with the 2 girls that were supposed to watch the kids didn't come because one of the girls was sick...then I got the text that Stephanie and the new baby weren't coming which was disappointing But The kids were worked up at first.....very excited...I had lots of toys for them .....I let them play and run around while the ladies got there. After about 45 minutes I turned the big screen TV on to the kids shows I had DVRd and that worked like a charm. The kids watched the TV and enjoyed the stuff I had in their gift bags...the moms and us older ones ate in my dining room. The food was great and the ladies seemed to enjoy themselves. All cleaned up and resting before making my chocolate chip cookies to take to bunco tonight.

Trying to decide if we should go to this giant indoor water park in the Poconos next Wed-Friday with Liz. Walter and the kids. I'm on the fence. THe place looks fun but not sure it is the thing podad and I would love. I might because I do love the water. Just seems like a busy not super relaxing time that isn't cheep. Part of me thinks I would like it enough to be worth it plus how much longer could we do anything like this.....pondering. Have to decide in the next hour or so.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:47 PM
Master Fan

I'm glad the get together went well, even if some people didn't show up. Sounds like you planned very well.

I'm leery of those indoor water parks because they usually have to chlorinate the water so heavily because of all the germy kids! (And adults). But you do love the water and I'm sure the kids would have a blast/would be fun watching them enjoy themselves in the water.

Hanukah is going very well! Daughter and BF came the first night, and then she came back tonight by herself (he was home baking cookies with his Mom for the holidays :>). Gifts have gone over well, except adorable scrub top I was worried was too small was indeed too small/has to be returned (I got a gift receipt). My gifts for him didn't arrive yet though Hope they show up before he goes away over Christmas. Oh well, my friend celebrates 'Bellsnickle' day, for those presents that show up late.

Oh, and one box of gifts (for my son) showed up, but the other box, with gifts for Debbie (from me and from my daughter) hand't showed up yet. Hope it arrives!!

COLD today and that bitter wind. Brrr, Plus we took the car back in, because warning light came back on, after they did service on it last week (that didn't fix the problem) and now they want to put in a $1000 part! (and that doesn't include the labor to put it in) so Mr ML and I are pretty sure we're going to trade this money pit car in (I've had buyer's remorse for years now!) and get another one - inspired by MLette's new car. Should have a hefty trade in, but still... don't want new debt in retirement. But need a car that will get us to FL and back safely!

Dad has come down with a bad cold - worrisome in somebody his age. His condo village called - they want to throw a big party in his honor in January, once we're down there, to honor him for all his years of service on the board of their condo village - he was president, treasurer, did all sorts of jobs over the years. Very nice of them; going to have a dinner for him at the new big clubhouse they just rebuilt.

Oh and Mrs Boss sent me an email "Happy Hanukah - I have some typing I want you to do.." So it begins! Why oh why didn't I say no, I'm retired/done working for you? SIGH
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 12-14-2017, 09:24 AM
Total Fan

ML.......can't believe Mrs. Boss did that to you. Some people have all of the nerve, she's already shown her true colors the last month you were there.

PODMOM.....you are so busy with all of your family's activities. My grandson in DC sent me his list for Christmas today. If it wasn't for Amazon, he wouldn't be getting anything. It's funny, most of what he asked for was for his bachelor apartment up there.

Better get back to the cooking.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:25 PM
Master Fan

Yep, Mrs. Boss is definitely nervy! I got up at 6:30 the other morning and did all her typing before Mr ML was up. Then I realized we never agreed on how much she was going to pay me for doing this..

It is COLD here, in the teens. Brrr.. Mr ML bought an amaryllis and it is shooting up the big stems, so we should have some cheerful flowers in time for his birthday in January, I think.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 12-16-2017, 11:05 AM
Total Fan

ML.......you are too good. Don't think I would have done that typing for Mrs. Boss. Stay warm there!

My granddaughter from MI is coming in the 21st, early because she will fly in direct from her work in LA. Her husband will be driving down by himself. I'm really getting anxious to see everyone, but am getting nervous about some of the gifts arriving. My oldest grandson gave me the link to a barrel bag that he wanted and I ordered it Nov. 11. When I check with the people, they have lots of excuses, the office moved, they had a larger than projected number of orders, etc. etc. They said I should hear from production 'soon". I suspect that production is in China.......and wonder if we will get it for Christmas, this year.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:30 PM
Elite Fan

Yes you are still being very good to Mrs Boss ML very kind of you. I hope she pays you well!

How is Hanukah going? I hope very well!!!

keepsmiling you are living my great hope...tha t I will be not only alive but kicking when my grandchildren can not only remember me but have a grown up relationship with me. I think that would be unlikely but I wish it. I am so happy for you that your granddaughter is headed your way to stay

I survived the babysitting and big answer to prayer.....Grace slept thought the night Friday night. Had a hard time getting her down but no waking up at 2 or 3....shwew!!!!! All went well but it is busy and tiring. Podad and I did play in the snow today. It confirmed my sad understanding that I better not ski again. The body kinda but not yes but being anxious for the kids safety is worse. We ( at least me) get more anxious with age
Old 12-17-2017, 01:14 PM
Total Fan

Happy Hanukah to you ML and your family. How is your daughter-in-law doing?

PODMOM, I am so glad Grace slept through the night for you. I need my sleep more than ever the older I get. And you are so right, I am blessed to have an adult relationship with my grandchildren. They are all doing such fun and interesting things after college graduation. They don't mind spending time with us old folks, and always ask if we need help with things.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:13 PM
Master Fan

Glad baby sitting Grace went well and she slept! Eventually, if you are lucky, they do that!

Keepsmiling, you are lucky to have such good grown up grandkids. Little ones are nice, but adult kids are such good friends/company! (If you're lucky!)

Well, we went down and traded in my car today (that I've regretted since I bought it 4 years ago) and we got a new red Subaru Forester and drove it home. Big gift for our last night of Hanukah! I'm hoping it will be a more reliable and cost effective 'retirement car' and it has lots of safety features to prevent backing into, running into, or sideswiping anybody (or going off the road) etc. They gave us a $50 Visa gift card just for test driving it, and as Mr ML pointed out, we saved the $1000+ they wanted to repair the old car. Hope it was a wise decision and won't put us in the poor house as we have no idea what our retirement $ will look like (but now have one additional bill). Oh well.. when we sell the house, we'll pay off the car. It will be nice to take down to Florida and back too (I hope).
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 12-19-2017, 08:33 PM
Elite Fan

keepsmiling your grandchildren sound so wonderful. I am very happy for you. I hope all your cooking is going well!!

ML Congratulations on the new car! I hope you love it and that it is very comfortable for long drives to Florida. It is a big deal buying a new car. Great last present for the Festival of Lights

Podad and I are going to OC tomorrow to see the house and hopefully meet with the builder and see my brother and sister in law. We are going to take them out to dinner tomorrow night. We actually are staying in a hotel in OC for the very first time in my life. The walls are up and the roof is going up. The studs are up for the walls so we will get a real feel for the size of the rooms and how different it will be.

I finally started wrapping presents tonight. Almost done shopping. Crunch time is here