Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2017, 07:33 AM
Master Fan

I remember my senior year of college, when my Dad moved my stuff out, he said "This is IT! I'm not moving you anymore, so you'd better find yourself a boyfriend or a husband to help you move next time."

Thanks keepsmiling, I hope the learning curve won't be too steep (and I will be able to keep myself from saying "I told you so!" if disaster strikes - I will bite my lips together). Maybe all will go smoothly and I'll be pleasantly surprised - always hope!

Your kids were very good to do all that moving for their kids, especially halfway across the country!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 07-27-2017, 10:39 AM
Elite Fan

keepsmiling yup.....hard to watch the kids learn while they can get reactive/ignore advice.

I think they will be fine ML it's not like they have TONs of stuff like we do and it does sound like Johns dad is going to help

We have helped Liz move often....Emily not as much...she has dealt with it without us pretty often. Not always and we love to help her.

The last time Liz moved was from DC to here in PA.....still one of my biggest blessings.....but it was tough. We intentionally flew from that 3 week Europe trip to DC and helped her move the next day.I watched Anna Lee in the neighbor's house( she was around Grace's age at the time.) while the others packed. Podad had to drive a no air conditioned big moving truck....there was a real movers van too and my van and their two cars....then the unpacing. All of that happened July 4th weekend. Hot
Old 07-28-2017, 08:31 AM
Total Fan

It appears that everyone has had some interesting moving experiences. Now it is time for MLettie and John to start their own memories.

We're off to Houston for the weekend and will celebrate my daughter's birthday.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:03 AM
Master Fan

Have a good trip to Houston and daughter's birthday keepsmiling!

Wow, Podmom moving over 4th of July in DC would be STEAMY! Talked to Mlette about the move (tomorrow). Her roommate has movers and a truck coming Sunday. Does my daughter have a truck? Of course not! I'm really hoping this goes well. Going to bake some brownies or cookies for the weekend, to give us STRENGTH! At least Saturday is supposed to be cool and Sunday not too bad either.

I just don't want my husband and John's Dad hurting themselves; they both think they are younger and stronger than they probably are (at 65 and 67).
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 07-29-2017, 04:32 AM
Total Fan

ML.......I'll be anxious to hear how the moving goes. Any reasonable plan in place yet?

Hi PODMOM and WEN.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:32 AM
Elite Fan

ML s about the moving worry and day....today! It is cooler here too. I hope all goes well. Goodies for strength will be just the thing. Here is a big thing to be grateful for.....they are moving from one very close place to you to another. Forget your worry and just be very thankful for that!

keepsmiling Happy Birthday to your dear daughter!!! I pray you have safe travel and a lovely time celebrating such an important wonderful day

s Wen and maybe even Mezzy we miss you guys
Old 07-31-2017, 09:06 AM
Master Fan

Well, Moving Weekend went amazingly well. John's father's small truck held a lot, (and his parents are VERY energetic) and Sunday he hitched a trailer to the truck, and John's brother in law, sister, and his big/strong friend came to move the big stuff that remained (mattress, sofa, 2 sections of the platform bed, tv stand, lamp), after we moved everything else on Saturday and dis-assembled the bed (John's Dad has power tools).

The weather cooperated too, it was lovely and cool for moving (but didn't rain). Everything fit in the (small) elevator of the new building, too, and only the big sofa had to be hauled up the 5 flights of stairs - but it's a big comfy sofa, so it was sort of worth it (and was free, from Mlette's departing roommate). Her roommate gave her a sofa, love seat, and the TV cabinet. John brought a super comfy upholstered rocking/swiveling chair (my favorite kind) and a coffee table and an entertainment unit and some TVs. And his bureau. And lot of board games/gaming stuff! LOL!

Now they need to unpack and settle in! She's taking the week off to do that. I don't think she has much of anything as far as housewares go; her roommate brought everything to their last apartment. Don't think she has any pots, pans, kitchen tools, ?silverware, ?glasses, ?dishes, measuring cups/spoons? I don't think so! They really should have gotten married first, because they could have used all that wedding shower stuff!

I even got new chairs for my kitchen table in the move (roommate was leaving kitchen Table and 6 chairs - I took 4 chairs, John's sister in NH took the table and the 2 other chairs). Win win. We put our 4 old chairs out on the sidewalk and somebody took 2 of them already. Hope someone takes the other 2, before trash day.

We went out to lunch both moving days with the parents too - nice people. The building is solidly built, very nice and quiet (full of old people); the place is twice as big as her old one; they have a nice balcony that looks out into some trees. I hope they'll be happy there/together!

Oh and my brownies were very popular. I brought over one box on Saturday and the rest/second tin on Sunday. Nom nom nom, they fueled the movers. And his mother brought cut up watermelon and some sort of dip and chips and cookies too. I could tell she's itching to decorate! I was really holding myself back, I want this to be her place and her to decide how to set things up etc. (She really has no idea...)

So despite my dire predictions, everything got moved, nothing broke, nobody got hurt, it was fine. She and her roommate are going to the old place today to clean it up, although it wasn't that dirty (I scrubbed the melted cheese out of the microwave tray... ahem).
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 07-31-2017, 05:32 PM
Elite Fan

How wonderful ML even the weather cooperated! Johns family sounds terrific!! That boy is a keeper. Of course Mlette is a huge catch so yea..lets start planning the wedding...they'll catch up later

Both mothers cooking and being motherly...these kids are fortunate!
Old 07-31-2017, 07:01 PM
Total Fan

ML........moving day went very well it seems. It appears they had the right kind of help to make it go so good. Like PODMOM said, it's time to start planning the wedding.

And thanks PODMOM for the birthday wishes for my daughter. We had a great time, and that's easy with her dealing with her husband's pancreatic cancer.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Elite Fan

keepsmiling obviously your daughter takes after her brave ,smart, kind, active mother. I'm glad you all had a nice time even with such a hard thing happening. How is he doing?

I'm off to OC today. I will be there alone this evening and will be going to the store and making pasta salad tomorrow...preparing for the girls and their families to arrive for our yearly beach get together. Emily comes by herself tomorrow night and we get Thursday alone to go look at tile/flooring etc for the rebuild...really looking forward to that. Then Friday..my 64th birthday the rest get there. ... went to Amish stand where I pick beautiful flowers for 5$ ..what a bargain... plus it is so fun. Taking flowers,tomatoes and fruit to the beach for the pps.

I'll take my computer and say hi from there. Hopefully I get some good pix to post on FB

Old 08-01-2017, 10:32 AM
Master Fan

Happy Almost Birthday, PodMom!

Oh picking out floor tile together will be fun. I wish I could go shopping for house stuff with Mlette this week. Yes, both mothers are just itching to help decorate the new 'nest'. My daughter sounded soo stressed yesterday buying bathmats and shower curtains and fry pans (John had pots, she doesn't have pans). No internet or cable yet, so she feels very 'cut off.' I joked that they should have got married first, so they could have had a shower and got all this stuff they need for the new place! We just want to my nephew's bride's shower and she got truckloads of gifts and they've been living together for years and years, so she probably has all that stuff already. I went to buy her a new house card and couldn't find one (wanted to send a gift card to help buy stuff).

Well, we'll see how she's doing tomorrow, as Mr ML planned a visit to see his Aunt Millie this week, and she's going to come too. We love Aunt Millie.

I'm glad you had a good visit with your daughter keepsmiling. So sorry her husband is sick.

They need to get engaged before we can start planning the wedding!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 08-02-2017, 05:32 AM
Total Fan

PODMOM..........thank you for asking about my son-in-law. He is having tests and samples of blood and tissue to check for a certain protein. If he has that, they will give him a drug that has worked with bladder cancer. If not he will have to start back on chemo again. He is in very good spirits considering.

I'm so glad you and your daughters are having the fun time together working on the Haven. That time is very special.

ML..........okay, so lets work on the engagement first. My husband would have come right out and asked the young man what his intentions were. I think he scared off a lot of young men when his daughters were younger, but it was all for the best.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:57 AM
Master Fan

keepsmiling praying the tissue markers are there for the new treatment! He is fighting the good fight.

I'm hoping my daughter and her fellow, in their 30s, aren't too set in their ways at this point to get along smoothly together in their new living situation. We shall see! My Dad was shocked, but now he plans to send her a nice combination birthday/housewarming card and gift.

Dad sounded a lot better this time I talked to him, more like his old vigorous self.

LOL, when we visited John's parent's house, the Dad has a case full of hunting rifles in the living room THAT would scare away prospective suitors, I bet.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 08-03-2017, 06:36 AM
Total Fan

Happy Birthday PODMOM..........ENJOY!
Old 08-03-2017, 10:18 AM
Master Fan

Enjoy your birthday and the OC PodMom!

We went to visit Aunt Millie yesterday - she's 91 (and a half - she pointed out) and doing pretty well, although of course seems older every time we visit (because she is - then again, so are we!). Mlette came. Barbara was coming too but cancelled at the last minute; too bad, as she and Aunt Millie are both artists and Millie wanted her to bring over some pictures to show her.

We moved a big folding shelf from Mlette's old bedroom upstairs to her new apartment, while we were headed up that way too (her new place is a few towns over from Aunt Millie's). The place is coming together. Her Disposall already broke/was leaking and the plumber had to come and fix it! Luckily the owner/landlord has to pay for it.

Funny, we just had the plumber come to fix a leak for our tenant downstairs too. Always something!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Closed Thread   Post New Thread