Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2018, 11:48 AM
Total Fan

ML.......it's good that Hanukah went well for your family, along with the Christmas at the nephew's farmhouse. I'm wondering how the Beach Christmas was for PODMOM and her family?

Four of our five children's families have now come and gone. The last family got sick with the flu and were kind enough to not come and share it with us. Today I am washing lots of sheets and towels. Have put some left-overs in the freezer for later use. I had six of the adult grandchildren plus one grandson-in-law with us to go to church Christmas Eve. Such fun to show off the fine young people. Later we all played games, and they are such a competitive group it's fun to watch.

Hubby is still staying in, hoping for a good report on the pneumonia at the next chest x-ray trip. I am tried, but still looking forward to my youngest son's visit after New Years. It will be closer to his Jan. 11 birthday, so we'll celebrate that too.

Happy New Year everyone.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:10 PM
Elite Fan

Ekua Thank you for your Christmas wishes we hope yours was nice and that you had a lovely time with your mum,sister and niece and the rest of your family.

ML Your day sounded very nice. Great to have hospitable relatives that live in a cool farmhouse.

keepsmiling I hope you had a good time and that your husband is improving and that you are resting up.

We all had a nice time in the new house and the weather was so good. I was worried it might snow and ruin travel. Home now finally resting after a long busy time. The baby did great and enjoyed all the activity of the other three kids. Everyone is back to their own homes now and I'm grateful for safe travels.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:01 PM
Master Fan

Wow, keepsmiling you are a human dynamo! I have NO idea how you entertain so many relatives and so much company. They would be scraping me off the floor after all that company and clean up!

I'm glad Christmas at the beach went well Podmom and the weather was so great this year. And the baby was good/enjoyed everything.

I went out for Chinese food in New Hampshire with my Star Trek friends, MLette and her BF John came too, and Mr ML and my friend brought the old hubby (he's really too old to leave alone anymore, he's in his 90s I think) and other friend brought her friend Betty another retired teacher. Gosh did we have a giant table of Chinese food and everybody brought home a bag of it. then we went to Barnes and Nobel and I got a couple of books and we sat at their Starbucks and nibbled cookies and chatted. Very nice day. But long day - especially this time of year, when it was getting dark by the time we left for home! Oh well, they days are getting longer now, after the winter solstice, I think?

Mr ML and I went to look at a retirement village, that continuity of care place. It's very nice, with amazing amenities on site - bank, pharmacy, hair place, doctor's office, indoor pool, gym, pool tables, FIVE restaurants, etc etc, and covered heated walkways between buildings so you don't have to go out/get your coat in the cold weather. But it is expensive and would be sort of like living in a small apartment/hotel. I don't know if this is the place or we're anywhere ready for that, but might put our name on the waiting list (with a refundable deposit) and keep our options open. I can't decide if it would be wonderful freedom there, or feel like being in prison.

Found out my Uncle (Mom's younger brother) died on Christmas night and his stupid kids couldn't manage to let me know he'd died or when the funeral was. We got home from our tour (and free lunch) at that place Friday afternoon, I called my brother in California and found out the funeral was Friday - and noon - and we'd missed the whole thing. I was But letting it go!!! I'm sure they were frustrated as heck they couldn't get ahold of me (changed my email recently). I called my Aunt and gave our condolences and told her how bad we felt we werent there - it's not like we aren't retired and sitting in the house and would have gone. My daughter would have gone too. SIGH sigh sigh. Okay.. letting it GO!

And tomorrow is the one year anniversary Dad died (by the Jewish calendar - regular calendar date in January hasn't come yet) so the end of the mourning period where you say Kaddish, the prayer for the dead at every service. We went to the Temple and the rabbi read a special blessing for the anniversary. Lit a special candle tonight, said a prayer. Now just have to light a candle and say that prayer for him (and Mom) once a year. Feel like I've done my religious and daughterly duty to him. We also got a memorial plaque for him and my mom at the Temple so they'll be remembered. (sigh). Weird to just finish mourning him and have my Uncle die next. So it goes. (Don't have to say all those prayers for Uncles.)

Got a new sweatshirt that says "Prayers go up, and Blessings come down."

Happy New Year, sweeties! 2019! OH and happy Jason Behr's birthday today! LOL, he'll always be 20 years younger than me.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 12-31-2018, 06:13 PM
Elite Fan

ML I'm sorry to hear about your uncle and the hurt of not being told till after the fact. I also wish you continued healing after this first year without your father. My mother was the last of that generation to die. I miss my Aunts and Uncles . We were pretty close and for around 15 years two of moms brothers and their wives lived in the house I grew up in so we saw them all the time. January 2nd is my sisters birthday. Never an easy day. That is a wound that will never heal one just gets more used to it in some ways.

Ask if that retirement home has a health care unit and look at it and see if they are private rooms if they do.

We are doing nothing tonight...I might even go to bed before midnight for the first time in my life practically. We will see.

In the mean time I wish you ML and keepsmiling and Wen and Mezz a happy and healthy and peaceful New Year! Oh and for sure another year here on FF of fun and friendship

Old 01-02-2019, 02:36 PM
Elite Fan

Just giving us a little bump. Hope you two are just resting up after a busy holiday season
Old 01-03-2019, 09:52 AM
Total Fan

Happy New Year to everyone.

The last of our five families will arrive tomorrow, so we are still celebrating Christmas. Can't wait to see the youngest grandson, and watch him put together the Big Ben Lego set. More food to cook, and our freezer is getting empty.

ML......so sorry to hear about your Uncle, and we're sorry you did not get to attend the service. So you visited a retirement community. PODMOM had some excellent suggestions. So many of our friends have already made that more, or will be soon. We do hope to stay in our home at least a few more years, depending on my health and if I am able to take care of hubby. I do have a final location picked out, in Georgetown TX, about 45 minutes from Austin. My mother was in their older facility, but the new facility has all of the various stages of health care, memory care and I'm very pleased that many years ago I took out a long term care policy with my office.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:19 AM
Elite Fan

Happy New Year lovely ladies!!! Wishing you a year of wonderful things!

Keepsmiling your hubby and I share the same birthday
Old 01-05-2019, 06:30 PM
Elite Fan

Keepsmiling Wow you have so much energy!!!! Have fun with little lego boy Your hubby is so fortunate to have you

Thank you Ekua

When is your Bday? Sorry I forget keepsmilings hubby's

Last edited by podmom; 01-05-2019 at 06:57 PM
Old 01-06-2019, 05:31 PM
Total Fan

Christmas is finally over at our house. The youngest son and family left earlier, after helping me take down the Christmas tree and put up all of the decorations.

Now we start the official birthday season, and with 24 immediate family members, we celebrate birthdays all year long.

Yes, PODMOM........I will be resting up this weekend. House keeper comes Wednesday thank goodness.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Elite Fan

Enjoy a little rest keepsmiling you've earned it!! Glad you have a housecleaner coming

Then let the Bdays begin

here is a beautiful Max and Liz video to A Thousand Years

so perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6_KGVIclZg

Last edited by podmom; 01-07-2019 at 07:33 PM
Old 01-08-2019, 07:11 AM
Total Fan

Thanks PODMOM for the video......makes me want to sit down and watch all three seasons again. Skipping some parts though.

Will you be watching the reboot? I have it set on recording, but don't think it will ever measure up to the original. Even though Shiri directed one episode.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:39 PM
Elite Fan

keepsmiling when does the reboot start? If I remember to check it out I might out of curiosity but I doubt it.

I know I wish it was on Netflix. I can't bring myself to watch the DVDs with bad music
Old 01-09-2019, 06:58 AM
Total Fan

PODMOM.......the reboot starts Jan. 15th on the CW station.

Correction: It appears that the reboot is on either Jan. 15 or Jan. 17 for the Pilot. My DVR is picking up both times. The show is titled Roswell, New Mexico.

Last edited by keepsmiling7; 01-09-2019 at 07:35 AM
Old 01-09-2019, 04:03 PM
Elite Fan

Thank you keepsmiling!! I can check here when I forget you rock!
Old 01-12-2019, 03:53 PM
Master Fan

Shiri directed an episode of new Roswell? That's neat. We're new to DVRing, never thought about setting it to record in advance. We used our VCR so much, but when the technology shifted over/VCRs broke, we just stopped taping stuff, until we got the new Xfinity Comcast. Now we can tape one thing, watch another, all that fun stuff.

I swear MLette said she'd be over Monday night to watch a Netflix movie I have - Here she came up the stairs (Saturday night) and swears she told me it was tonight. OH well, either night I'll have to tape the Celtics basketball game while we watch that movie (Man who invented Christmas. about Charles Dickens - supposed to be good).

It is REALLY cold here right now - but going to warm up, plus the snowstorm in the midwest is going straight across the US and out to sea, so missing New England (yay). So far, so good with the lack of snow. My friend in St Louis got 9 inches of snow and now it's freezing rain.

Football team plays tomorrow in the freezing cold (20s) in open/outdoor stadium. I could NEVER be a football fan! LOL!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Closed Thread   Post New Thread