Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2016, 05:16 PM
Master Fan

I hope El Nino will bring perfect wedding weather for your daughter PodMom - seems only fair, in exchange for the feet of snow it brought!

Keepsmiling according to the news, we got 8 inches, so way more than I expected/thought, but this is it for now, and supposed to be above freezing all week, and might even rain/melt all this stuff away again! I hope so! I wouldn't mind a winter at all where it snowed a little, melted away, snowed a little more... melted.

I guess that's too much to hope for, although I think I remember one winter where we had a lot of little snows that never amounted to much, so it's possible1
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 01-27-2016, 08:23 AM
Elite Fan

I remember one like that ML not too long ago. I hope yo have that too. I guess too late to hope for that for me

keepsmiling you are very welcome and glad you are getting the help to turn it over to the Lord

Gonna try to get Viv out of the home today for the first time since Friday. They have the area where I pull up and leave my finally plowed back enough where I pull in the car and then run out and pull it up to the entrance when I have her down there to get in the car. Parking there ( I've gone to visit instead of getting her out) is always rough but really bad with all the snow. Anyway....getting her out is very physically demanding for me. Getting her toileted and changed if they didn't put long pants on her.........then getting her switched from the small walker to the big one with the seat....me carrying the smaller inside one and getting her walked to the elevator and many times waiting if they are carting old ppl in wheelchairs to or back from lunch.....they shove them in there..or the food ppl are putting the giant food holder deals in etc....then finally when we get to the first floor and I get her started then tell her walk through the doors...she creeps along alone ...while I run to the car....carrying her small walker and maybe dirty laundry..throw that stuff in the back of the van...then pull the car up then jump out and get to mom before she gets to the passenger door....then get her in the car which is brutal....she sidles up alongside of the seat and basically I shove her with all my strength onto the seat...I run the big walker to the back of the van and throw that in...then shut her door and drive home and do it all over to get her in my house..( accept I don't get the big walker out for just my house).and up the 2 stairs into the house....by the time that is done about 45 minutes is spent and then we rest.......well she does and I do some work....generally I feed her something cause she doesn't eat their food well.....then I rest or pay bills etc answer emails while she sleeps. Today I will curl her hair on the one time I get her up for a bathroom break...then cook dinner....feed us then haul her back to the home...put her PJs on her..... do all the water fixing and DVD fixing etc etc maybe have to tell the staff something or find her aid etc..and dealing with her stall me tactics....write the note I leave her every evening about what day it is ( that next morning) and when I am coming back and stuff.... then drive home and get there around 7:30ish then watch a show or 2 with podad and then go to bed....very exciting

just thought I'd give a bit of a run down on what "getting mom out of the home" entails

Last edited by podmom; 01-27-2016 at 08:34 AM
Old 01-27-2016, 10:02 AM
Master Fan

The DDay invasion was nothing, compared to what you have to do to get your poor mother in and out of the home, on a regular basis! I know your mother doesn't appreciate how lucky she is to have you expending so much effort and care and thoughtfulness for her! You really are doing you best for her and giving it your all!

Our electricity has been wonky (dimming and brightening) for awhile, and now our furnace is being balky - shutting off and not coming back on without encouragement... thank goodness it was mild weather here last night, and that the furnace decided to turn back on and heat the house overnight! Anyway, just got an Angie's list thing for an electrician to do a 'complete home electrical inspection' as something is definitely WRONG with our poor old house and it's very worrisome, as we don't really know what's wrong or what do to (or how much it will cost to fix) etc. And if the furnace problem is part of the electrical problem, or a separate issue (and will need a separate fixing guy).

Well I took the Jeopardy online test last night, I think it was the 3rd time I've tried. I wasn't nervous this time but you either know the answer or you don't (you have 15 seconds to read, think of and type each answer to 50 questions), or you know it but for the life of you, you can't think of the name! Or you think you answered right and then, later, you realize they wanted more! Anyway, I think I did about usual (they're not going to be calling me to be on their show any time soon). I think I've gotten that out of my system!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 01-27-2016, 02:09 PM
Elite Fan

you tickled me pink with that Dday comment thanks for the laugh. Yea it is rough and she kind of appreciates it at this point. As much as she can. It is really hard to leave your charge( parent person who depends on you for everything ) in those places...not easy for anyone with any sort of compassion or sense of duty. I can't believe how few people I see visiting the poor old zombies sitting around everywhere. It is so sad

Man this cough is so persistent and nasty. Did I even tell you guys I had one? Anyway haven't been to help Liz for like 2 weeks missing them. Walter is going away for the whole week next week so I and she sure hope I am better.

Wen ,Mezz and keepsmiling
Old 01-27-2016, 02:15 PM
Master Fan

Maybe you have whooping cough? Maybe you need to get a Z-pack (azithromycin) from your doctor? Nagging coughs are so exhausting...

Glad I gave you a laugh!

Yes, I think a lot of families drop off their elders and say "See you later!" and don't come back much. Better than leaving them on an ice floe to sail out to sea, I suppose. And some families are far away.. It's sad. My dad wants to go into a home in FL, if/when he requires one, and since we don't live down there...
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 01-28-2016, 06:49 AM
Elite Fan

I have podads cough and he was treated at about 1/3 the way through with Zpac....I've thought a lot about whether this is a virus or bacteria. It seems to be working it's way through but I have even thought about whooping cough I'm considering trying to get in tomorrow if I am oved to do it today...but it seems like that might be a hassle for nothing especially at this point in time.....it is a tough call. I don't want to go on them for nothing and thinking it didn't help podad but then it might have been the wrong antibiotic....I don't like his GP I left him years ago and have a Dr I love....podad should have too

Now about your father going to a home if he has to...I so hope it doesn't come to that....I had a strong reaction but I am living through that reality and think I have a valid viewpoint....not perfect I know but worthy of consideration I think.

anyway ... I would really really think hard about that. Your father has NO IDEA what it would really be like to be incapacitated and perhaps even beyond having proper reasoning skills. If he was to be in the health care unit of a nursing home he really would need you near ...for physical help ( maybe doing laundry and or getting just everyday needed stuff and goodies/snacks or even real food to him. Their food is not very good and even if it is fairly decent like mom's place they get sick of the food. They need to have alternatives...peanut butter crackers,nuts,fruit sweets...whatever but they tend to stop eating the institutional food after a while. HE will be lonely!!! HE will sit in a room by himself ( if he is lucky....otherwise he will be stuck with a roommate of their choosing) IF he is incontinent and there is no one checking on him constantly he won't be cared for nearly as well!!!!!!!! The aids are overworked and understaffed and if you are there interseeding regularly he will be cared for way better. There are many decisions to be made and I don't know how that could be done well without you seeing him and the medical staff regularly. They have care meetings ( I have one soon) where you meet with a caseworker and one of the nurses and your father too if he is able to discuss things....it would be hard to know where the needs are if you aren't involved regularly. If he does stay in you will be flying there more often than you think you would because stuff happens.

I would have him stay in his place for as long as possible....hopefully till right before the end. I would pay to have help in if he can afford that. I would make sure to get power of attorney now if you haven't....for medical and financial... before an event because if he was to have a medical crisis and you don't have that it will be a huge hassle.

ok I know I have said negative scary stuff and I am sorry but this has been a long painful but enlightening journey and I have had the advice about the power of attorney and I am thankful for that. I know your father might be really resistant to that being a man and one that has taken care of himself...or maybe you have done it already?

SO forgive me for being kind of opinionated there but it was done out of concern

I'll get off my soap box now
Old 01-28-2016, 08:12 PM
Master Fan

No, don't be sorry, I appreciate your insight PodMom, and I think that's what Dad wants, to stay where he is now. I think he's hoping he'll just drop dead one day without being sick for one day - which happens to some people,but not all that often. I think he's set up all those powers already.

Oh I am SO RELIEVED - I finally called the utility company about our iffy electricity, problems with furnace etc. They sent somebody out - reattached the little frayed wire which has been loose for a year now, and well, turns out probably was connecting our electricity to the house all this time! Put on a new sturdy connection and gee, the lights are brighter, the furnace works, the lights don't blink when we wash the clothes..

Why didn't I call them the moment I noticed it was loose!? Well, we had such a terrible winter last winter and people were without power etc, and every time I thought to call about it, there would be another blizzard and people without power and I hated to bother them over something so small!

I was so stressed over the electric being bad and then the furnace was shutting off, I almost had an anxiety attack on the subway going to work today (where I called a guy to look at the furnace, and electric company to check the frayed wire). We had no heat when I left for work. Furnace was working fine when the guy showed up and electric company guys showed up and fixed the problem! Of course,they chopped a bunch of branches off my magnolia tree to get to the wire but that's okay too. Rather have heat than magnolia flowers!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan

Last edited by MyrnaLynne; 01-31-2016 at 08:33 AM
Old 01-29-2016, 07:15 AM
Total Fan

PODMOM..........you have an exhausting day with Viv.......or is it days, weeks, months. Plus the grandbaby and upcoming wedding. I worry about you trying to do too much......that bad cough is something to watch like ML said.

ML........there's always something needing attention in an older home, isn't it? Sounds like you took care of the electrical problem finally. It appears to be a simple fix after all. Also, I know you have great concerns regarding your father.

Hello to WEN and MEZZIE.

My hubby's hip replacement surgery was successful and we are waiting to see where he will go for rehab. This all depends on insurance of course. Hope everyone is doing well and staying warm.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:47 PM
Elite Fan

ML that is great news about the electric fix. Yea charming old can be an effort but I'm so glad some ppl like you keep the beautiful old houses standing!!

I don't know how you can do the power of attorney without being there unless he did your brother or someone else...we had to sign it together with a notary. I would just check on that.

That is what we all hope...the drop dead thing but it doesn't happen often... kind of wishful thinking ..but he is doing so well that he might just be one of the few. My father dropped dead of a heart attack. He was a little on the young side I think 78ish. but my mom is making up for him causing no trouble.

keepsmiling I'm glad your husband made it through ok and I hope his rehab goes smoothly!! How long do you stay in the hospital for that surgery at his age?
Old 01-31-2016, 08:39 AM
Master Fan

keepsmiling - the new hubby hip is here! I'm glad he came through it okay and can start on the rehab. It will be so nice for him to have a hip that works right/doesn't bother him again, once he's all recovered. Sending him Max's healing hand!

Although my mother was troublesome all my life PodMom she got ill and declined in the nursing home and went so suddenly, we were all stunned. I mean Dad called and said 'Your mom is sick and the doctor said she won't last the day" and she didn't!

I know I've had things sooo easy so far, and I'm very grateful, not torn between grandkids and eldercare... worst troubles are an old house, a questionable daughter-in-law, and which foreign nationality guy Mlette will end up with (or will she end up with nobody)! Mr ML really wants grandkids, though I don't know why, because he's so lazy and won't want to babysit or do stuff for them.. but maybe he'll surprise me.. Prospects of grandkids look dim, and by the time they arrive, we'll be too feeble to be much use to them, I'm afraid.

But I also know life is change, and am always waiting for that 'other shoe to drop'!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 02-01-2016, 08:21 AM
Elite Fan

That was good about your mom...goof for her and you guys....maybe not your dad? Sounds like he liked her maybe? I wish for you that your luck continues with your dad!!

this made me laugh > and which foreign nationality guy Mlette will end up with < I'm still hoping for the "nice Jewish Dr" hope springs eternal

Oh yea one never knows about the shoes dropping...your son might have a kid or has there been an actual discussion and they have said she is too sickly to have kids? Women wait forever now to have kids. My friend was 37 and 39 for her 2 and they and she were fine. The very questionable man she had them with who is a total looser drunk and living in a room is another story though
Old 02-01-2016, 11:40 AM
Master Fan

Oh that's good news your friend could have kids late (I'm hoping when time comes Mlette won't be too old already) but bad news she ended up with a LOSER!

This latest fellow Mlette is dating sounds nice; there's just a tone in her voice when she talks about him (when I manage to pull anything out of her - she's a clam) that makes me think she really likes this guy. He's sporty though - they were supposed to go out for dinner but he hurt his neck doing judo - JUDO! He plays basketball 3x a week and does judo 2x a week (aside from working full-time)? So he came over to see her instead and she made him something to eat, which is a laugh, because (a) she's a vegetarian and (b) she doesn't cook much.

Well when my son got married they were both onboard for having kids, but now she wants to get 'healthier' first, with the diabetes, and I don't think that's ever going to happen. She's only ~33 or so, I think but... tick tock! She's so nutty, I'm just as glad they don't have kids yet. They have to get along better/work on their own relationship before they drag some unsuspecting wee one into the mix. They have a dog... baby steps!

Mr ML came home early from work today, after having an argument with his supervisor and storming out, so who knows how long he's going to stick with this job?
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 02-06-2016, 09:30 AM
Master Fan

Phew! Mr ML still has his job - when he went back to work, he and the other guy were the only two people working overnight, so if the guy fired him - he would have had to do all the work himself!

Though I'm ready to quit now, between them wanting me to learn this new online medical record system, but they can't seem to figure out what class to sign me up for - I did an online thing about how to book patient appointments, which was very nice, but I've never booked a patient appointment! And then the publisher wrote that they plan to 'homogenize' all the Journals, so they'll all be the same type style, same reference style, etc, basically changing how I've done the Journal for the past 18 years (since boss and I started it), and I think the new style is fairly stupid looking... Too much change!

Mr ML and I were discussing the merits of Beach Boys vs. Beatles last night (while he played DJ with Youtube and played Beach Boy songs for me) - They came out around the same time, and I never cared for the Beach Boys when I was young, their high voices, their insipid lyrics abut surfing and cars and girls names (over and over again). Came to like their music more later, but really, they have songs that are mostly "Wendy" or "Help me, Rhonda" (over and over and over again) They have better harmonies, but more in the earlier doo-wop style, and most of their songs are way less complex/about less interesting stuff. Beatles rule! Okay, 'She love you, yeh yeh' and 'I wanna hold your hand' aren't Shakespeare either, but there's a subtle storyline there (you think you lost your love, well I saw her yesterday)

Speaking of music, I saw The Monkees are reuniting for their 50th anniversary and making a new record - all of them wicked old now and Davey Jones passed away. Good for them! Mike Nesmith was a very talented songwriter - he wrote "You and i travel to the beat of a different drum' for the Stone Poneys and Linda Ronstadt. Mickey Dolenz was an actor, I remember him as Circus boy! lol
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 02-07-2016, 08:06 PM
Addicted Fan

Hi Everyone!

I'm still alive! So sorry to be sooo MIA!

MyrnaLynne, I'm so glad that Mr ML still has a Job! Thank Goodness! And I hope February stays calm and doesn't snow too much! You really need a nice break from snow from last year!
And Biggest HUGS about having to learn the new system at work, if they ever get it right on which class you are suppose to take!
And Biggest HUGS about them changing the Journal to a different look now too!
And I'm a TOTAL Beatles Fan all the way! The Beach Boys can't even compare! But that's just IMHO.
And I hadn't heard about the Monkees! Thanks for the update on them!!!
Also, just wondering where the February Birthday Thread is? I can't find it.

Poddy, How are you feeling?! Much better I hope! You were commenting about a nagging cough, but I hope it's gone now.
How's the snow situation? I hope it's not too bad now!
I hope You and Your Family are all doing Well!

Keepsmiling, I'm so glad to hear that your Hubby's hip replacement surgery went well! And I hope he has a speedy recovery in Rehab!
How are your Daughter and Son-in-Law doing? Doing well I hope! I'm still uplifting you and your family in prayer.

Mezzie!

I hope Everyone has a Great Week!
Happy Lunar (Chinese) New Year!!!
It's the Year of the Monkey!

Biggest Hugs to All,
Wen
JB's Obsessed Fan#64
( I LOVE JASON BEHR!!!)
"God never gives you more than you can handle.
I just wish He didn't have so much Trust in me."
...Mother Theresa
Old 02-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Master Fan

One of the papers I took home to proofread this weekend was the one about whooping cough, and I bet that's what PodMom had. They said you get over it in 3-4 weeks, if you're basically health but..

So grateful we fixed the wires when we did, because this heavy wet snow we had Friday would have pulled it down for sure! I just saw on the news 500 people are still without power after that storm - it knocked down a lot of branches, that pulled down wires etc.

Ugh, Mlette and I went out to lunch and tried a fancy new place, called Tuscan Kitchen. It was okay, waiter wasn't very good, but when we got home - we both had food poisoning and spent the whole evening taking turns running to the bathroom every few minutes (lucky we alternated, we only have one bathroom)! Mr ML had bought frozen samosas, Indian turnover things, to have as Superbowl food, but we didn't want to eat anything (ever again), never mind spicy Indian appetizers. Oh, both of us were so sick. Hoping it gets over, so I can go to bed.

We're also getting another big blizzard tomorrow morning/all day again. I'm seriously thinking of staying home - combo sick day/snow day.

Happy BirthdayWen, sorry you and your family all have colds.

And yes, Happy Year of the Monkey tomorrow! My son is a Monkey Chinese zodiac sign.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Closed Thread   Post New Thread