Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by MyrnaLynne
It might have been an ostrich farm - they raise them for meat (ewww!)
Ostrich...Emu....what's the differance? They are both creepy! I think you might be right though.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Extreme Fan

Emus are stupid, ostriches are supposed to be not so stupid. How's that? You can eat Emu, but even I can't do that... the ghost of Emu Past will come and get me.

Sarz, no it wasn't me projecting Emus onto TV screens. If I had the power, I'd project JB... come on now...
Old 06-21-2004, 05:42 PM
Elite Fan

I so thought that was what you were going to say Danie *that Roswell was on a million screens* when you started that story.......that would have been nice .......but no.....creepy/smelly(I don't really know that but it's an educated guess) dumb Emus.......
Old 06-22-2004, 11:44 AM
Master Fan

Ostrich meat is kind of scary looking - it's red, like steak, not white like chicken. I was thinking of trying it and then I happened to come across a passage that mentions it among animals that aren't kosher so - no ostrich for me! I think they are cute and goofy looking animals (with eyelashes longer than Jason's) and I probably would feel bad about eating one anyway.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 06-22-2004, 06:49 PM
Extreme Fan

I've eaten Kangaroo before (just to say that I had)... it wasn't nice.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by DanieTreg
I've eaten Kangaroo before (just to say that I had)... it wasn't nice.
EWW! You are braver than me!
Old 06-23-2004, 04:49 AM
Addicted Fan

I've had Kangaroo meat and Possum sausages before--Tasted like a cross between beef and pork.

*shrugs* Ya gotta be adventurous to live in Australia!

Ok not really, you could happily eat McDonald's for breakfast lunch and dinner if you really wanted to....
Old 06-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Supreme Fan

McDonalds?

What other type of food do y'all have over there?
Old 06-23-2004, 10:00 AM
Addicted Fan

Aside from all the standard American fast food outlets, (Burger King, KFC, Maccas, etc) we also have the franchises, like TGI Friday's (I used to manage one!), Starbucks, Krispy Kreme etc.

But one of the most popular Aussie foods that I don't think is very popular anywhere else, is the meat pie.

Sounds digusting, taste delicious!

It's basically like a shepherd's pie (Filled with chunky meat bits and gravy) but topped with pastry rather than potato. You chuck a whole gallon of tomato sauce on it and you're good to go.

Meat pies are very big at the Footy (Aussie Rules Football), and the standard tradition is when you go to the footy, you get a cold pie and warm beer. Oh, and they never give you enough sauce.

So there you go, another fascinating insight into the eating habits of the Aussie!
Old 06-23-2004, 01:20 PM
Master Fan

Aren't those the meat pies that Sweenie Todd cooked up?

We bought some paint yesterday for the front hall, and of course I insisted on BEHR brand! Even his name on a bucket of paint makes me smile!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 06-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Supreme Fan

Good choice ML. Although, I have always bought Behr Brand paint simply because it is a good quality paint.

Sarzy: Meat Pie sounds good!
Old 06-23-2004, 08:47 PM
Extreme Fan

Sarz is right, but sadly Australia does not have one meal that is truly OURS. Most of our food is stolen from other countries. I know in my house (as Mum is a Pom and will never get an Australian Passport) that we usually go more traditional English fare; chip butties (hot chips (fries) in a sandwich) and bubble and squeek (all-in fry up of left overs and vegies). Mum does do a good Spag Bol though... but it doesn't taste the same with the gluten free spaghetti that's for sure.

I used to work on the pie counter as work and we have millions of different pies, flans and sausage rolls! I guess the meat pie is the only thing that makes us Aussies! And it's easy to eat!

It's funny, since Super Size Me came out here, the CEO of McDonalds here has been in ads saying that eating Maccas three times a day IS NOT HEALTHY... no really?
Old 06-24-2004, 01:23 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by DanieTreg
Sarz is right, but sadly Australia does not have one meal that is truly OURS. Most of our food is stolen from other countries.

I thought the Australian's had that Vegimite stuff? Sorry if I spelled it wrong, but I think you'll know what I mean. When I hear someone speak of Vegimite, I immediately think of Australia.

I used to work on the pie counter as work and we have millions of different pies, flans and sausage rolls! I guess the meat pie is the only thing that makes us Aussies! And it's easy to eat!

I grew up in New England, and they had the Best Pork Pies! It's seasoned ground pork in a little 4 to 5 inch pie with a delicious golden flakey top crust. I just loved them! And we'd eat them with ketchup on top. Yum!!! I really miss them as I'm on the West Coast now.

And speaking about Emu's... well I have this cousin who raises these creatures. We are not close, as I think he's always been a bit too strange for me, and I prolly only see him maybe once a year if he just happens to be visiting his Mom, (my Aunt) when I happen to go visit her.

Anyway, he just sings the praises of Emu's! He not only eats their meat, but also sells it, and he raves about the healing qualities of the Emu oil. He says that it's very healing when used topically on scars, and stretch marks. (I don't know about this tho'... it sounds like a Snake Oil scam to me, but he swears by it.) And he also sells their feathers and down. I can't imagine who his clients are, but supposedly his business is booming. And no, I've never eaten Emu meat... I really have no desire to. :tongue:

So, if anyone happens to be in Placerville, CA and see a bunch of Emu's running around on this farm, (or is it a ranch?), anyway, that would be my crazy cousin's place.
And Podmom... You could still be a bird and not have to eat bugs... You could be a beautiful Humming Bird that drinks sweet nectar.

And has anyone ever watched the Myth Busters? They did a show on Daddy Long Leg Spiders, and they concluded that they CAN bite humans, but as long as you are not allergic to them, then you suffer no ill effects other than like a minor bee sting.

Just my two cent...

Hugs to All,
Wen
JB's Obsessed Fan#64
( I LOVE JASON BEHR!!!)
"God never gives you more than you can handle.
I just wish He didn't have so much Trust in me."
...Mother Theresa
Old 06-24-2004, 06:25 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for the final word on Daddy Long Legs, Wen - I truly didn't know they were dangerous at all! I will treat them with more respect from now on. Not that I generally pick up spiders and play with them or anything.

It's kind of too bad that America's biggest export around the world (aside from our lovely films and TV shows) is our crappy junk food and restaurant chains. I was amazed that the one big American chain in Copenhagen was the 7-11 store (overpriced quickie mart chain). Although TGI Friday's is pretty nice!

Bruce Campell told an annecdote about one of the crew members on Xena didn't know we had KFC in America!

Britain is not known around the world for its fine cuisine! Steak and kidney pies and bubble and squeak and lots of mysterious stuff. Flaming puddings. Treacle tarts.

Celebrating today - thanks to Dr Atkins I am now wearing a size smaller pants! Just had to give a little woo-hoo. Of course they are still tight enough to make my eyeballs bulge out but...
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan

Last edited by MyrnaLynne; 06-24-2004 at 06:30 AM
Old 06-24-2004, 09:03 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by WenLuvsJB And has anyone ever watched the Myth Busters? They did a show on Daddy Long Leg Spiders, and they concluded that they CAN bite humans, but as long as you are not allergic to them, then you suffer no ill effects other than like a minor bee sting.Wen [/B]
Thanks! I was trying to find that info to post about Myth Busters but couldn't remember their conclusion. I love that show!

ML: I'll treat spiders the same as always. SQUASH! SPLATT!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread